shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Trip Report: Upgrade Shopping Has Begun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing this with us all DB. Whilst they are all drool worthy my own personal choice would be the cushion halo it just ''speaks'' to me.
3.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I am adoring every breathless minute of this post!! Love it all
30.gif

What a total blast to shop at all the top stores for stones at this level. Yeeozzaaaa. Wish we could all come with you on a huge field trip.

I love the haloed cushion on you, it is extremely elegant and well proportioned for you. All your photos are visual knockouts and I am having a blast viewing them. Thank you so much!!
36.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
My vote hands down is for the RA... c''mon, it''s hard enough to find any RA''s let alone a 21 CARAT!!! That stone is a true "piece of art" and a very RARE one at that. What a treasure -- and it can only go up in value!
30.gif

I don''t think there would ever be asscher "shrinkage" with that beauty! Who said asschers face up small?!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the 10 ct. cushion... it''s more of a "suitable for everyday" look.... HA!
31.gif

And can I just say WOW. This is why we come to PS! To live vicariously through someone who dares to put a 29 carat stone on her finger!!! MAN. thank you!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
DiamanteBlu, thank you so much for sharing the photos of your trip! Not only are they exceptional stones, but the way you write is very transportive-- I felt excited just reading about your day.

Of all of them, IMO the ones that looked the best (most elegant, impressive, not trying too hard, etc.) were the ones that didn''t break 100% finger width coverage for the center stone. Sure, the 29 carat is mind-blowing, but it was like the ring was trying to wear your hand than the other way around, heh heh. IMO, I liked the look of the Kaufman 10 carat square emerald''s stone (though the bullets seem to be overkill IMO) and the 13 carat square emerald at leviev on your hand. They looked... confident, but not overcompensating; you know what I mean?

Similarly, though I liked the 10 carat cushion and it might be just me, might the setting be kind of taking away from the stone? It reminds me of the Harry Winston which a few posters here selected for their e-rings (I think "AngelaInJapan" was one), which seems lacy and I adore for cushions in the 2-3 carat range. I might be the only one, but it seemed TOO lacy with such an exceptionally large stone. That 10 carat can stand on its own and would probably have a greater impact without the additional quasi-halo adornment when viewed from the top; for some reason, the way it is reminds me of when a beautiful woman is wearing too much makeup...

... that said, those are some amazing options at your fingertips! Yay DiamanteBlu! How exciting!

--fdl

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
For instance:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=104

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m speechless...almost. Wow, everything is stunning and I have no idea if I have a favorite. They''re all so BEAUTIFUL!
30.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
OMG, so many comments! Thank you all. It will take me a bit to respond to each!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 11:16:22 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
These are all so incredibly beautiful DB!
30.gif

In a strange way I am glad that I am not in your position. I would go mad
37.gif
if I actually had to make that choice. I would want all of them!!

They really all compliment your finger or maybe it is just the grace with which you wear them. The one your DH said was too big for your finger is a tad big, however, I have no doubt that you would be able to rock that bad boy and make it work. It is gorgeous!

I am so excited thinking about the choice you have before you ... Please keep us updated. I can''t wait to see which one you decide to adopt into your lovely jewelry family.

Edit -- Question: What is your criteria? What are you looking for to satisfy your upgrade requirement? Something you fall in love with or are you looking for a particular caratage etc, in addition, to something you fall in love with?

Getting a stone of this magnitude is not a trivial exercise [or expense, for that matter]. You do not wander in one day and say: "Oh, I think I''ll take that one." LOL! There are a number of sources: retail, antique dealers and auction houses. You don''t really go mad but you are under pressure from the vendors that are competing for your business so that can cause some stress.

Each stone I saw was magnificent in its own right and all the stores certainly want a customer to buy from them. A few have emailed and a couple have already called. I will call them back tomorrow.

Not everything I saw or posted is a candidate. I looked at some of the pieces because they were just spectacular specimens.

As far as what criteria to use . . . hopefully I can tell you my thought process.

First, some background . . . I have always loved minerals in general and precious and semi precious stones [since kindergarten or so]. I have been collecting stones and jewelry for about 45 years and have experience in siversmithing, goldsmithing and jewelry making and design. When I was in mergers and acquisitions I did quite a bit of work in the jewelry industry so I know many in the industry [in the US and in Italy primarily]. I love large stones and fine workmanship and I have also always wanted a yellow diamond. LOL! I''m not sure where the desire for a yellow came from but I have been coveting them since I first saw some at Shreve Crump & Low back in the 1970''s!

In any case, to me, the first thing to consider is how much finger coverage do I want for every day wear. At this point I am not looking for a special occasion ring. It looks like the sweet spot is in the 10 - 14 carat range. So . . . that would exclude those magnificent larger specimens [the 29 c cushion and the 21 c asscher]. They were to big for every day wear and were a factor of 3 higher in the "list" price than the smaller [I use the term loosely] stones.

Once you have established the size you need to decide on the shape/color/clarity. In the running for both of us are cushion and asscher/step cut stones. DM still favors RB''s. I''m not so sure. I would consider an Eightstar but in a smaller size than a fancy. Note that I have always wanted a cushion. I have a reasonable step cut EC and a RB. And then you have the debate con color and clarity. DH wants to go with D-E-F and VVS1 or 2 or better yet I am more "flexible" [read - I like larger stones as long as they are gorgeous]. Also, for a primary stone I would stick with a white diamond. Much as I love the yellows, I think that if/when I get one it would be for a RHR. Such a ring would be a "self-purchase" [like my EC! LOL!].

Am I rambling? Sorry - I am still trying to shake this flu and am a tad tired!

I guess the bottom line is that after you decide on size, you need to decide whether you are buying "the paper" or a beautiful stone. To me, the answer is that you want to buy a beautiful stone. As I posted in another thread, when you see "your" stone you will know it. I had been looking for a larger stone [5ish carats] for about 2 years back in the mid 1990''s when I wandered by a store in Palo Alto, no less! and saw my EC. It drew me in and I knew it had to be mine. I looked at it, put a deposit on it, went back to "visit" it a few times and then bought it. The stone was just calling out my name - DiamanteBlu, I am yours, take me home with you, pleeeeez!

I believe that the stone you are destied to have hill cause that kind of emotional reaction - especially when you are dealing with larger pieces that are less commoditized.

The two stones I felt that pull from were the 21 c asscher [a true masterpiece!] and the 29 c cushion. Unfortunately, both are a tad over the top in size for daily wear for me at this point [DH tells me that when I am 65 they will be appropriate! Snarl!] and the prices are more than we are prepared to spend at this pont even with the discount.

The KdS asscher was beautiful but I am not sure it was screaming my name. The price is right, though. The Graff EC would have to grow on me [too long and skinny - it would give me a complex! LOL!] so I think that it is out. We will see what cushions they come up with out of London. The 10 c cushion was nice but again was not screaming my name. I should have paid more mind to the 13 c cushion. I didn''t even get its cert! And the 13 c asscher was nice but, again, was not calling me.

I have to tell you, that I think I am tending to a cushion or maybe an asscher like the 21 carat but in a smaller size [14ish maybe?]. This is not easy. I am going to need to head down again to relook. I may have been in overload.

Oh, and I also do not like DeBeers so I would be very happy to get something that does not involve them!

I''ll be happy to elaborate if you have any further questions.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 11:17:43 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Date: 1/7/2008 10:42:52 PM

Author: DiamanteBlu

Here I am with the 29.?? cushion, the 21.16 asscher and the 13.?? carat cushion [also D FL, can''t find the cert!]

Can''t believe I''m gonna say this because asschers are my thing but...I''m not sure I like the 21 ct asscher. It looks too much like the doorknobs on my Grandma''s old house! (Sorry! Now the asscher gods will smite me.)

Sorry to your hubby but that massive cusion looks GOOOOOOD on your hand. In this pic it looks really natural & not freakishly huge or anything. Of course it IS freakishly huge - but you can carry it off.
9.gif

The big cushion is just prettier than the smaller one - nothing to do with size - just the way the stone looks. From the pics at least.

LOL! I see what you mean about the doorknob! It was [is] a KILLER stone. I would had bought it on the spot if the pricepoint were lower.

Thanks for the compliment on the cushion. Unfortunately it had the same price issue as the asscher!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I''m thinking I need to get the details on the in between cushion.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
All of those rings are positively unreal. Preposterous. Exhorbitant. Obscene, even. I can''t even tell you how insecure I''d feel wearing any of those (even your 6.89 RB!!) Either you''re spoiled or you''ve got some SERIOUS DSS and should go get some bed rest. Phew! I feel like my eyes have gotten a workout.

Wow.

I need to go to bed now. I''m exhausted.

(hooray for your fun trip and thanks for the eye candy!)

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 11:39:28 PM
Author: Green with Envy
Who ever made that doorknob comment about the huge asscher... darn you! That is all I can see now too- especially with the side pic/hand shot. My grandmother use to have glass doorknobs that i LOVED... you can buy them at Anthropology and I always check them out while in that store.

I am not tring to say this in a nasty way (even though I AM GREEN WITH ENVY)... but since cost clearly is not a factor...

how ARE you going to decide on just one?? What are the factors? they are ALL great color, cut, clarity, yada yada yada.

I feel crazy saying this... but if you are sticking with a white diamond... I think the ONLY ONE that serioulsy looks like an UPGRADE next to your beautiful Rb... is that huge 29ct cushion. The ''too big on your hand'' comment about that one should be tossed out the window because wearing ANY of those rocks might knock somone out. I guess since DH might have something to do with paying... his opinion matters a tiny bit... but THAT huge cushion is THE ULTIMATE UPGRADE.

Everything else sort of looks same (in a very good way!) but different shape.

I also like the 10 ct cushion with pave around it... but I think this is because style is just different than other solitiares. Even you say for yourself that in real life your current e-ring looks as good as the 10 ct on your finger.

Sooooo... go for the gold and get the 29 ct cushion!!!!

-------------

ok- just read your last post. if 29 ct stone is the upgrade to this current upgrade... I agree and try to find the best 10ct cushion out there!!!

Thanks! It will take some looking but I''m sure the right stone is out there!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 11:45:45 PM
Author: Matata
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
iwanttheparaibaiwanttheparaibaiwanttheparaibaiwanttheparaiba
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
, can you hear my heavy breathing, i know you can''t heart my heart beating because it isn''t, i think i''m unconscious, somebody pinch me, where''s my debrillator?
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
iwanttheparaibaiwanttheparaibaiwanttheparaibaiwanttheparaiba
23.gif

I''m casting my vote for something akin to the 29 carat cushion. There''s something funky looking about the 10 carat one. In one of the pics it looks like it has fisheye.

Nah, no fisheyes visible on this trip. I am sure the effect was a result of my superior photography skills! NOT! Where is Alj when you need her?!? The 10 was loveny but was not screaming my name. The 29 was REAL GOOD but a tad more than I want to handle in daily wear size and price.

The paraiba was spectacular [they had to others too but I found the color of the one I posted most pleasing - maybe because it matches so many of my summer clothes!!!]. There was another couple that wandered in at the same time as we did that may have bought it. I will ask Charles whether it is still available when I speak with him tomorrow if you like. It was the reason that we wound up in KdS - the paraiba caught DH''s eye and then I saw some other things that were worth looking at [like the sq. EC - and a gorgeous oval and a few others We did not photograph.]

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It was turquoise! The color was [is] UFB. And, [whispering] don''t tell Matata but there really was no windowing. The thing was sparkling through and through. There were also two other that had different hues - goth gorgeous - but I liked this one best.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 4:43:41 AM
Author: Po10472
what a decision to make. If it were my choice, I''d go for the Kaufmann, its just stunning, second in the running would be the royal asscher, however that would be an uber upgrade from my wee 0.5ct EC so if I were in your Manolo Blahniks I''d go all out and get the 29ct cushion. You could just dive into it and bathe in its beauty. Whats your DH''s preference?

Also, were you staying in a nice hotel in NY........we need the other details of your trip too to allow our hearts to stop beating so.

No Manolo''s for me! I was on a mission and wore flats! [Boy, did I feel short - I normally wear at least 4" heels!]

DH is still thinking about getting a large Eightstar cut. I think he could be swayed to a killer cushion, though. He just wants to make sure that any diamond he buys me "burns".

We did not stay in NYC the night before. I had to give a talk in Rhode Island the night before so we would up driving to Pearl River, NY and staying there [at the Hilton]. We did, after all, have to pick up the 11 cases of wine we had ordered!

So . . . on Sat. AM we went and loaded up the wine, drove 30 mins to NYC, parked cost effectively [$25 for the PM] off of Madison [with the 11 cases of wine in the trunk!]
9.gif
and started looking.

In addition to the jewelry stores I mentioned we stopped at Dennis Basso and tried on some spectacular coats and clothes. We also got a quote on a sable knit throw [that was like a jacket they have]. If you go to the site you can see some of the pieces. The one on the first page is a suede and sable reversible coat. It looked great - especially with my hair color - but was a tad shorter than I would have liked. If you click :enter" the white coat on the right is one we are considering. I tried a shorter version on in brown [with sable instead of white chinchilla trim] and it was spectacular. It made me look tall and skinny even without the 4" heels! The pic I took sucks. And, of course, the marked prices were to be discounted bt 40% to start. I love how the marked prices for this expensive stuff are only "suggestions". Good to know!

I wandered into Hermes to look at handbag options but it was so overrun with people that I left. I''ll deal with Hermes in Boston.

We wound up having an excellent meal at Goulue. The food was great. My only complaint was that the Mersault was unremarkable but was $16.50 for a glass!

We drove back Saturday night. We did not want to leave the wine exposed to the elements overnight!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 5:49:28 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
My vote hands down is for the RA... c''mon, it''s hard enough to find any RA''s let alone a 21 CARAT!!! That stone is a true ''piece of art'' and a very RARE one at that. What a treasure -- and it can only go up in value!
30.gif

I don''t think there would ever be asscher ''shrinkage'' with that beauty! Who said asschers face up small?!

No kidding! I wish the price were a bit less!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 7:37:04 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
DiamanteBlu, thank you so much for sharing the photos of your trip! Not only are they exceptional stones, but the way you write is very transportive-- I felt excited just reading about your day.

Of all of them, IMO the ones that looked the best (most elegant, impressive, not trying too hard, etc.) were the ones that didn''t break 100% finger width coverage for the center stone. Sure, the 29 carat is mind-blowing, but it was like the ring was trying to wear your hand than the other way around, heh heh. IMO, I liked the look of the Kaufman 10 carat square emerald''s stone (though the bullets seem to be overkill IMO) and the 13 carat square emerald at leviev on your hand. They looked... confident, but not overcompensating; you know what I mean?

Similarly, though I liked the 10 carat cushion and it might be just me, might the setting be kind of taking away from the stone? It reminds me of the Harry Winston which a few posters here selected for their e-rings (I think ''AngelaInJapan'' was one), which seems lacy and I adore for cushions in the 2-3 carat range. I might be the only one, but it seemed TOO lacy with such an exceptionally large stone. That 10 carat can stand on its own and would probably have a greater impact without the additional quasi-halo adornment when viewed from the top; for some reason, the way it is reminds me of when a beautiful woman is wearing too much makeup...

... that said, those are some amazing options at your fingertips! Yay DiamanteBlu! How exciting!
--fdl

Thank you!

I agree about the setting. I think I would prefer a non-halo setting for such a stone. BTW, the 13 c cushion was in a much simpler setting. I can''t believe I didn''t get a close up!

Here is one setting that I have always liked. It is a Cartier:

Cartierz-Cushion.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 9:58:25 PM
Author: DiamanteBl

Getting a stone of this magnitude is not a trivial exercise [or expense, for that matter]. You do not wander in one day and say: ''Oh, I think I''ll take that one.'' LOL! There are a number of sources: retail, antique dealers and auction houses. You don''t really go mad but you are under pressure from the vendors that are competing for your business so that can cause some stress.

Each stone I saw was magnificent in its own right and all the stores certainly want a customer to buy from them. A few have emailed and a couple have already called. I will call them back tomorrow.

Not everything I saw or posted is a candidate. I looked at some of the pieces because they were just spectacular specimens.

As far as what criteria to use . . . hopefully I can tell you my thought process.

First, some background . . . I have always loved minerals in general and precious and semi precious stones [since kindergarten or so]. I have been collecting stones and jewelry for about 45 years and have experience in siversmithing, goldsmithing and jewelry making and design. When I was in mergers and acquisitions I did quite a bit of work in the jewelry industry so I know many in the industry [in the US and in Italy primarily]. I love large stones and fine workmanship and I have also always wanted a yellow diamond. LOL! I''m not sure where the desire for a yellow came from but I have been coveting them since I first saw some at Shreve Crump & Low back in the 1970''s!

In any case, to me, the first thing to consider is how much finger coverage do I want for every day wear. At this point I am not looking for a special occasion ring. It looks like the sweet spot is in the 10 - 14 carat range. So . . . that would exclude those magnificent larger specimens [the 29 c cushion and the 21 c asscher]. They were to big for every day wear and were a factor of 3 higher in the ''list'' price than the smaller [I use the term loosely] stones.

Once you have established the size you need to decide on the shape/color/clarity. In the running for both of us are cushion and asscher/step cut stones. DM still favors RB''s. I''m not so sure. I would consider an Eightstar but in a smaller size than a fancy. Note that I have always wanted a cushion. I have a reasonable step cut EC and a RB. And then you have the debate con color and clarity. DH wants to go with D-E-F and VVS1 or 2 or better yet I am more ''flexible'' [read - I like larger stones as long as they are gorgeous]. Also, for a primary stone I would stick with a white diamond. Much as I love the yellows, I think that if/when I get one it would be for a RHR. Such a ring would be a ''self-purchase'' [like my EC! LOL!].

Am I rambling? Sorry - I am still trying to shake this flu and am a tad tired!

I guess the bottom line is that after you decide on size, you need to decide whether you are buying ''the paper'' or a beautiful stone. To me, the answer is that you want to buy a beautiful stone. As I posted in another thread, when you see ''your'' stone you will know it. I had been looking for a larger stone [5ish carats] for about 2 years back in the mid 1990''s when I wandered by a store in Palo Alto, no less! and saw my EC. It drew me in and I knew it had to be mine. I looked at it, put a deposit on it, went back to ''visit'' it a few times and then bought it. The stone was just calling out my name - DiamanteBlu, I am yours, take me home with you, pleeeeez!

I believe that the stone you are destied to have hill cause that kind of emotional reaction - especially when you are dealing with larger pieces that are less commoditized.

The two stones I felt that pull from were the 21 c asscher [a true masterpiece!] and the 29 c cushion. Unfortunately, both are a tad over the top in size for daily wear for me at this point [DH tells me that when I am 65 they will be appropriate! Snarl!] and the prices are more than we are prepared to spend at this pont even with the discount.

The KdS asscher was beautiful but I am not sure it was screaming my name. The price is right, though. The Graff EC would have to grow on me [too long and skinny - it would give me a complex! LOL!] so I think that it is out. We will see what cushions they come up with out of London. The 10 c cushion was nice but again was not screaming my name. I should have paid more mind to the 13 c cushion. I didn''t even get its cert! And the 13 c asscher was nice but, again, was not calling me.

I have to tell you, that I think I am tending to a cushion or maybe an asscher like the 21 carat but in a smaller size [14ish maybe?]. This is not easy. I am going to need to head down again to relook. I may have been in overload.

Oh, and I also do not like DeBeers so I would be very happy to get something that does not involve them!

I''ll be happy to elaborate if you have any further questions.
What a great narrative about how you and your DH are sorting through this purchase decision. I do have a couple questions which I highlighted. You mentioned a discount - how does that work? We''d all love a discount, so any advice is welcome
1.gif

Also, do you get to find out the history of the stone you buy, as in literally where it was mined and if it went through deBeers hands? I imagine at this level, the stones are very well known to the selling house and the diamond trade. Can you actually avoid deBeers?

I am interested also in what security matters you faced. Did you call them in advance for an appointment or just walk in? I was interested to see the tray containing so many fantastic stones in one spot. Often jewelers are loathe to display so many at one moment on a tray, at least in my observation. It is very interesting to live vicariously through your experience. Thank you for all this fun insight!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you had a great time! Personally m''self, I would take the Royal Asscher and the emerald -- they would look phenomenal together
2.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks DB for the update. I was in NY 6 weeks ago and only had a brief chance to ogle diamonds. My respectible other half was fed up with me dragging him round Tiffany''s and Cartier although I did manage 2 trips to Tiffany''s in 5 days. He''s full of the joys for our next trip which oh dear........takes us into Antwerp. He understands......and also thinks the Kaufmann EC is to die for but thinks you should go with the smaller cushion!!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I can understand your interest in cushions--in this size range for me it would be a cushion or oval. Love the curves!! Thanks for sharing your trip!

cheers--Sharon

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 10:35:58 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:
I can understand your interest in cushions--in this size range for me it would be a cushion or oval. Love the curves!! Thanks for sharing your trip!
cheers--Sharon

DH is back on his Eightstar RB kick. Sigh . . .

I told him I''d buy a cushion myself [RHR?] if he insisted on a RB! LOL!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my God, how did I almost miss this thread?!!! I was in NYC the 6-9th for work but I didn't get to squeeze in any bling shopping! Looks like you did enough to tide me over, though!
3.gif

Wow...all of your choices are exceptional, but I have a fave, of course! I LOVED the KdS 10 carat square emerald on you...it was stunning and it looked perfect on you!

The 29 carat cushion was also clearly AMAZING and I feel like you could pull it off! I loved the 21 carat Royal Asscher in theory, but it did look a bit door knobish to me after someone mentioned it!
3.gif
I think maybe because the cut corners were so pronounced? Of course, I think you could still rock that thing on a daily basis, door knob comparisons and all!

But overall, I really did like the 10 carat square emerald the best...it was gorgeous and seems much more wearable on a daily basis than the others. YUM! Man, you've got some tough decisions...be sure to keep us updated with pics!
9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I apologize that I missed your posts. I have not been around much. I''ll try to answer your questions without sounding like an arrogant jerk. That is not my intention! LOL!

Date: 1/9/2008 12:35:22 AM
Author: Beacon
You mentioned a discount - how does that work? We''d all love a discount, so any advice is welcome
1.gif
First, you need to remember that these are high priced boutiques. Graff is vertically integrated, except for mining, and Leviev is totally vertically integrated. Their margins are more robust, shall we say, so there is more "room" for flexibility. At higher price points my experience has been that marked prices are generally negotiable [except, possibly, at Tiffany I hear - LOL!] especially in the boutiques. This holds for high ticket items besides jewelry too. I''m sure you have had experience not paying sticker price when you buy a car? It''s kinda like that.

I''m not sure what advice I can give but I can tell you my experiences. In every store [including the furrier] neither I nor DH mentioned price first. We selected what we wanted to view and the assistant SP''s pulled them all out. We had nice conversations with the people showing us the pieces [owner or SP] about things in general [who we are, what we do, where we live, who they are, kids in college, history of the boutiques, their collections, important pieces, etc., etc., etc.]. Of course, we also discussed each piece we had selected in detail.

DH and I are both quite knowledgable in the precious stone area [no, I did not mention Pricescope] and genuinely appreciate not only the mineral but also the workmanship in the cutting and artistry in the setting [and I know and appreciate furs
9.gif
]. The store people all commented on our knowledge and interest. They also had people scurrying around collecting other pieces for us to view that were not out - both pieces that we might be interested in acquiring and pieces that were just spectacular specimens.

As has been my experience in the past, the SP''s all brought up price first. Their initial offers were all in the 25% - 30% discount range [the furs started at 40%!]. Some were "firm" but others indicated they were open to "additional flexibility". Variables that would impact final price would include how you would pay [cash gets you even more discount], when [sooner is better than later] and how badly they wanted to move that particular piece. They know that there are many important stones available and each of them, of course, want to make the sale. BTW, to give you a frame of reference, the marked prices of the jewelry pieces ranged from a low of about $90,000 [for the Graff charm bracelet] to over $5,000,000 [except for the paraiba - I can''t remember if it was marked at $26k or $36k] .

I guess if the issue of price were not brought up by the SP I would bring it up. I would do something like ask the price, show no reaction and then ask what level of flexibility they had. Then, if you are paying in cash [money wire] you have further leverage so you can ask again. Then, if you are prepared to buy that moment you can press a bit further. And so on . . . They will tell you what they can do. They do want to make the sale.

Also, do you get to find out the history of the stone you buy, as in literally where it was mined and if it went through deBeers hands? I imagine at this level, the stones are very well known to the selling house and the diamond trade. Can you actually avoid deBeers?

Yes, you can often get the history - it depends on the stone. I did not ask this time. As far as avoiding DeBeers, if you buy from Leviev, you will get a Leviev mined stone. Otherwise you would have to ask for the stone''s provenance.

I am interested also in what security matters you faced. Did you call them in advance for an appointment or just walk in? I was interested to see the tray containing so many fantastic stones in one spot. Often jewelers are loathe to display so many at one moment on a tray, at least in my observation. It is very interesting to live vicariously through your experience. Thank you for all this fun insight!!!

No security matters in the stores - just walking around outside! I turned my e-ring over, hid my pendant and made sure my hair was over my ears. LOL!

Each boutique hauled out anything and everything simultaneously. None of this "one item at a time" stuff.

A number of the boutiques had an airlock system [go through the first door, it closes, then the second door opens and you enter the store - like the banks use in Europe] Other boutiques had a guard or two or three hanging around. It was funny that at Graff I would take the stone to the door to see it in natural light and each time the guard was about to open the door for me and I''d tell him I wan''t leaving just yet. LOL! It got to be a running joke!

Hope this helps!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 5:32:03 PM

HI:
cheers--Sharon

Well, in a perverse sort of way, I''m glad that your DH is not quite as perfect as I would have liked to believe
8.gif
because he now sounds almost like my DH.

Generous but so stubborn in a passive aggressive kind of way. He is definitely willing to buy you the RB of his dreams. Does he care that his dream is not yours? Not really
20.gif
. He wants to bring you away from your dream cushion and persuade you any way he can, that he''s right! If he''s going to spend 10''s (or 100''s) of thousands of dollars on a ring, he can hold out for as long as it takes.
31.gif

In similar kinds of "discussions", but definitely not similar dollar figures, I have learned that every time I would mention cushion, he would counter with RB. It now becomes a game: How to win him over to your way of thinking? Definitely not easy, but I think I read in one of your posts that you''ve been married for quite a while (way to go, btw!!
36.gif
) so you know the way he thinks by now and probably too how to get around his PA ways
36.gif

Now''s the time to start working your magic so that when the perfect TDF cushion comes along (you''ve found it by yourself), he will be wooed by this fabulous stone and really believe it was all his idea ( I didn''t know a cushion could look like that
3.gif
). You''ll have to have your vendor on board with your plan. Manipulative??? Maybe ( depends on your definition
20.gif
), but well worth it? You''d better believe it!! And anyway, it was his choice!!! It''s all about winning sometimes
35.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here is an interesting article on how Lev Leviev
"Cracked DeBeers". Make sure you read the sidebars too.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 5:32:03 PM

HI:
cheers--Sharon

That would be hilarious! Maybe you should agree to the RB just so you could get both.
9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 1/13/2008 6:51:11 PM
Author: isaku5
Well, in a perverse sort of way, I'm glad that your DH is not quite as perfect as I would have liked to believe
8.gif
because he now sounds almost like my DH.[/quote]

Perfect? Did you say perfect? LOL!
9.gif

<Generous but so stubborn in a passive aggressive kind of way. He is definitely willing to buy you the RB of his dreams. Does he care that his dream is not yours? Not really
20.gif
. He wants to bring you away from your dream cushion and persuade you any way he can, that he's right! If he's going to spend 10's (or 100's) of thousands of dollars on a ring, he can hold out for as long as it takes.
31.gif

Passive agressive? DH? Nah. Never! LOL!

I don't know how much of the issue is his dream vs mine. I think that he's afraid that if I get a big cushion then I won't wear his round. I think the issue is more one of what I'd wear as an e-ring. I suggested alternating. [Snicker]

I'm not too convinced about mega rounds. Graff had a 17 carat which looked ridiculous to me. I told them not to bother taking it out of the case. LOL! I guess I could do with an up to 10 carat Eightstar. We would have to get a stone and have it recut. I'd have to have a look at their showpiece 13+ carat D FL to see how they look in a big size. Maybe they look great? Here is their site: Eightstar. Interesting reading.

If he holds out too long I'll beat him to it and buy a cushion. It won't be the first time I make a large self-purchase! [my EC was one but I was divorced at the time]

In similar kinds of 'discussions', but definitely not similar dollar figures, I have learned that every time I would mention cushion, he would counter with RB. It now becomes a game: How to win him over to your way of thinking? Definitely not easy, but I think I read in one of your posts that you've been married for quite a while (way to go, btw!!
36.gif
) so you know the way he thinks by now and probably too how to get around his PA ways
36.gif

That is too funny that you have the same kind of debate! We have only been married for 6 years [2nd for both]. If I wanted to manipulate him into a cushion I certainly could. I'm sure we can work this out so we are both happy - somehow! I'm not sure that I don't want an Eightstar. I do know that I want a cushion too, though.

Now's the time to start working your magic so that when the perfect TDF cushion comes along (you've found it by yourself), he will be wooed by this fabulous stone and really believe it was all his idea ( I didn't know a cushion could look like that
3.gif
). You'll have to have your vendor on board with your plan. Manipulative??? Maybe ( depends on your definition
20.gif
), but well worth it? You'd better believe it!! And anyway, it was his choice!!! It's all about winning sometimes
35.gif

Funny thing was that he liked the cushions he saw and he loved the doorknob asscher [the poor thing really did not look like a doorknob in person - it was UFB spectacular mind boggling!].

Then today ir was back to a custom cut Eightstar. Go figure. LOL!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
That would be hilarious! Maybe you should agree to the RB just so you could get both.
9.gif

I''m thinking that that will be the eventual outcome.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results