shape
carat
color
clarity

Nutty MIL strikes again...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am posting this more as Monday mid-morning laugh than seeking advice...since there isn''t really much you can say/do here...it''s more of an
20.gif
situation than anything else...

So...

For Christmas, my MIL bought both my SIL and I breast-cancer awareness shirts. Warrior shirts, I do believe. They were extremely backordered, so she didn''t have the actual shirt to give us at Christmas, so instead she wrote this lovely little note about how we''ve all been touched by breast cancer.

So, after Christmas I''d pretty much forgotten about the shirt...until yesterday when I received an e-mail about how my MIL finally got the shirts and they were being made a sweat shop, and when the company found out they had to find new production offices hence the three month delay. Well, she goes on to talk about how the sizes are "all wrong" and that we won''t be getting the shirts in our sizes by how we can buy a mannequin or doll and display the shirt. Now, please keep in mind, this a cotton tee-shirt, nothing fancy or collectable. She also goes on to explain that she doesn''t want to bother with returning them to get the right size either because "it will take too long."

I had to laugh...so basically, you''ve spent $50.00 on a tee-shirt that will hang in my closet until it finally makes its way to Goodwill because you don''t want to bother with the entended use of the purchase? We''ve already waited 3 months for the shirts...would I rather wait another month so that I can use the shirt...or get is ASAP and let it sit in my closet useless? I mean, if it doesn''t fit--why bother even sending it? But, this is my MIL...classically her.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Yes, our MILs keep life interesting!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
face22.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
mmmkay

you can only laugh

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
She sounds so passive aggressive, I wonder if she really did get the "wrong size" or purposely ordered the wrong size just for spite... Uuugh, so sorry about the added annoyance factor. And who would buy a creepy life size mannequin to display a t-shirt? I would donate it and I''m sure someone will wear it proudly.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Wow. MILs. I guess I didn''t know how good I had it.
1.gif

It is funny, I think that even when you like your MIL... she still isn''t... MOM.

Thanks Italia!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Oy vay! Boy, she is a little cuckoo isn''t she!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I hate returning things through the mail. Maybe they''ll fit. Does she know if they are too big or too small? and she even going to let you see them?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:19:55 PM
Author: swingirl
I hate returning things through the mail. Maybe they''ll fit. Does she know if they are too big or too small? and she even going to let you see them?
She ordered them too small. I am usually pretty breezy when it comes to tee-shirts and would have no problem if it were too big, I''d wear it as a PJ shirt, or with sweats at the gym...but too small is hard. I''m a 36DD (TMI, sorry) and if something is "too small" it clearly shows.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:32:06 PM
Author: Bliss
She sounds so passive aggressive, I wonder if she really did get the ''wrong size'' or purposely ordered the wrong size just for spite... Uuugh, so sorry about the added annoyance factor. And who would buy a creepy life size mannequin to display a t-shirt? I would donate it and I''m sure someone will wear it proudly.
She is pretty passive agressive. I called my hubby to tell him about the e-mail and he told me that he also received an e-mail asking if we were mad at her because we hadn''t called her recently, and went on and on apparently about how much she missed him.

I will probably either donate it...or give it to my Mom (breast cancer survivor). Either way, I''m absolutely not in a million years buying some store mannequin. No way.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:38:13 PM
Author: tlh
Wow. MILs. I guess I didn''t know how good I had it.
1.gif

It is funny, I think that even when you like your MIL... she still isn''t... MOM.

Thanks Italia!
No, I call her Mom to her face...because it was that, or Mrs. P...seriously. To my friends and husband I refer to her as "your mom/his mom" or by her first name. But, she''s not my Mom...and she never will be. Our relationship is so damaged it will never recover...it doesn''t stand a chance. She keeps digging herself deeper and deeper into my sour-graces.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Lol more to come
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Obviously the MIL is a couple of french fries shy of a complete Happy Meal. You have to wonder -- WHY does it even matter now? I''d have been tempted to say "whatever".

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG ... this is too good to resist. I WOULD buy a mannequin (craigslist??) & display it w/the t-shirt right in the living room! What a HOOT!!!!! But, then, when she comes over -- INSIST on tying the damn thing to her car''s roof because SURELY it will fit better in her house.
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:54:21 PM
Author: HollyS
Obviously the MIL is a couple of french fries shy of a complete Happy Meal. You have to wonder -- WHY does it even matter now? I''d have been tempted to say ''whatever''.
I''m right there with you on the "whatever"...but I think my MIL is a very cunning lady.

She''s tough...but the key to her success in tormenting me is that she makes brilliant look stupid. She gets her digs in, in ways that could be easily explained away if she were ever confronted. She''s never going to flat out tell me she hates or rather, hates me with her son...but that doesn''t mean she won''t let me know that given the opportunity.

I''ve put up with her for 3+ years now...we''ve been the trenches for a long time.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:11:27 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
It''s like I said to Holly, she is...but she isn''t. She knows full well what she''s doing...every action that is intentional is intended to look accidental. She has made it so that, if I ever raise up, she can just pretend she has no idea what I''m talking about.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I wonder (only since you can't use it) if you could cut it up and make a cute little shirt for your lil' pup! How cute would that be???? Imagine MIL's face when she comes over to see the doggie wearing it proudly?
36.gif
"Hi Mom! The shirt was too small for my fabulous figure, but look! It fits the dog perfectly!!!! What a perfect gift!!!!"

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:02:40 PM
Author: decodelighted
OMG ... this is too good to resist. I WOULD buy a mannequin (craigslist??) & display it w/the t-shirt right in the living room! What a HOOT!!!!! But, then, when she comes over -- INSIST on tying the damn thing to her car''s roof because SURELY it will fit better in her house.
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif
Earlier in the relationship, I probably would have done something to highlight her ignorance...or absurdity...but, now I feel like if I give in--and buy a freakin'' mannequin, she''ll just be laughing at me.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:09:08 PM
I wonder (only since you can''t use it) if you could cut it up and make a cute little shirt for your lil'' pup! How cute would that be???? Imagine MIL''s face when she comes over to see the doggie wearing it proudly?
36.gif
''Hi Mom! The shirt was too small for my fabulous figure, but look! It fits the dog perfectly!!!! ''
This did make me laugh...ooooo, so bad. It''s something I will seriously consider...but since I am a mess when it comes to sewing, I would probably hire someone to make it and just take the credit for it. She''d flip a lid and lose her s***....hahahah, maybe I will buy another one so both my boys can have matching shirt.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder (only since you can''t use it) if you could cut it up and make a cute little shirt for your lil'' pup! How cute would that be???? Imagine MIL''s face when she comes over to see the doggie wearing it proudly?
36.gif
''Hi Mom! The shirt was too small for my fabulous figure, but look! It fits the dog perfectly!!!! What a perfect gift!!!!''

Great idea!

hehe23.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
''Hi Mom! The shirt was too small for my fabulous figure, but look! It fits the dog perfectly!!!! What a perfect gift!!!!''
This is BRILLIANT!! Extra points for Bliss....

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:08:16 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

It''s like I said to Holly, she is...but she isn''t. She knows full well what she''s doing...every action that is intentional is intended to look accidental. She has made it so that, if I ever raise up, she can just pretend she has no idea what I''m talking about.
But since she''ll never see you wear it, and of course you won''t display it, what did she derive her fun from? The gifting of a non-existent gift? Was that a hoot for her?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:13:42 PM

But since she''ll never see you wear it, and of course you won''t display it, what did she derive her fun from? The gifting of a non-existent gift? Was that a hoot for her?
Here''s a little background...

My first Christmas with my husbands family, I didn''t ask for anything, so my MIL gave me a hodge podge of things she thought I''d like. One of the items of a red silk sweater. It wasn''t my size--it was too big, or, in all honestly, my style either. So, I when I went to Macy''s to return it, they couldn''t accept it without a reciept.

So, I harmlessly asked my FI at the time to please, next time he talked to his Mom, ask her for the reciept (no rush) so that I could return the sweater. I told him to leave off the "not my style" part...but just tell her it didn''t fit.

No big deal, right? WRONG!!! My MIL got pissed. She sent the reciept with this scribbled note ... "here is the reciept you wanted, sorry it wasn''t what I liked". The note wasn''t like "Hi Ashley"...or anything...it was just very blunt. You could tell she was angry.

To be honest with you, I don''t know what she "got" from it. But, I do know that she did get something from it.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 2:28:37 PM
Date: 3/2/2009 2:13:42 PM

Here''s a little background...

My first Christmas with my husbands family, I didn''t ask for anything, so my MIL gave me a hodge podge of things she thought I''d like. One of the items of a red silk sweater. It wasn''t my size--it was too big, or, in all honestly, my style either. So, I when I went to Macy''s to return it, they couldn''t accept it without a reciept.

So, I harmlessly asked my FI at the time to please, next time he talked to his Mom, ask her for the reciept (no rush) so that I could return the sweater. I told him to leave off the ''not my style'' part...but just tell her it didn''t fit.

No big deal, right? WRONG!!! My MIL got pissed. She sent the reciept with this scribbled note ... ''here is the reciept you wanted, sorry it wasn''t what I liked''. The note wasn''t like ''Hi Ashley''...or anything...it was just very blunt. You could tell she was angry.

To be honest with you, I don''t know what she ''got'' from it. But, I do know that she did get something from it.

You should start buying her stuff that is crazy looking or too small, too!
31.gif
It shouldn''t be TOO obvious, but subtle. How about those huge retro CATS sweatshirts? Or buy her a Wicked t-shirt from Broadway. It''ll have awesome double meaning!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
MIL''s can be a real treat. Yours is certainly a dandy. Just try and keep a good spirit about it all.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy vey, there are no words.

I like the idea of giving her equally bizarre gifts. My parents were once given a rotating black lacquer serving dish with odd designs on it, AND it played music. No joke. I think something like that is totally in order for next Christmas . . .

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
At this point, you can only laugh it off! I can see your point.. she is very passive aggressive. I have a MIL that is the same way..
She always is a bit off with gift giving.

She keeps giving me really strange looking sets of glassware...I have about five different sets... nothing matches. We have so many glasses..it is the last thing we need.
I have also received a tray that she had in her dining room ( she had it for years ) She gave it to me as a gift, and mentioned she just saw it at the store and knew she had to "get it for me "..like she just purchased it for me the day before. It was dusty when I unwrapped it.

Also , I kept hearing about something special she got for our wedding reception... it was so nice,,, It was a bride and groom plastic figure that she got at the dollar store. She tried to paint their hair to match ours ( you could tell )

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I would ask for the receipt and return it myself.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:03:11 PM
Author: crystalheart1
At this point, you can only laugh it off! I can see your point.. she is very passive aggressive. I have a MIL that is the same way..
She always is a bit off with gift giving.

She keeps giving me really strange looking sets of glassware...I have about five different sets... nothing matches. We have so many glasses..it is the last thing we need.
I have also received a tray that she had in her dining room ( she had it for years ) She gave it to me as a gift, and mentioned she just saw it at the store and knew she had to ''get it for me ''..like she just purchased it for me the day before. It was dusty when I unwrapped it.

Also , I kept hearing about something special she got for our wedding reception... it was so nice,,, It was a bride and groom plastic figure that she got at the dollar store. She tried to paint their hair to match ours ( you could tell )
This is hilarious!!!!!! My MIL has done this sooo many times. "Here darling, I saw this shirt in the store and it just looked like you so I wanted you to have it." I''ve seen her wear that shirt dozens of times over the last year. It''s even missing a freaking button! Hahaha!

But seriously Italia, I have no advice but to just continue to be the classy lady you are and with a smile say, "thanks Mom."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results