shape
carat
color
clarity

Now why on earth did I did my toe in over here!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
You see what four or five days of rain will do for me, now I''m on a pearl mission as well! Where will it end
emsad.gif

I do have pearl stud earrings and the pearl and marcasite drops I got from my Grandmother. I got married in ropes of my Grandmother''s pearls (not destined for me unfortunately).

So in the space of two days, I''ve bookmarked half a dozen vendors, joined another forum and spend hours and hours reading and looking at everyone''s pretty pictures.

Haven''t bought anything yet, because I have to think my purchases out very carefully, but I do have these morganite pears I want to set as earring jackets to go with my diamond studs and pearl studs. Except that I would like nicer pearl studs - hence me thinking I''ll pop in over here and see what gives .......

So I''m thinking my first purchase will be a pair of 7.5-8.0 Hanadama pearl studs What do you all think? Is there something or somewhere else I should look first?

Treat me gently girls I''ve got a big wish list for the fall!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 4:06:45 PM
Author:Gailey
You see what four or five days of rain will do for me, now I''m on a pearl mission as well! Where will it end
emsad.gif

I do have pearl stud earrings and the pearl and marcasite drops I got from my Grandmother. I got married in ropes of my Grandmother''s pearls (not destined for me unfortunately).

So in the space of two days, I''ve bookmarked half a dozen vendors, joined another forum and spend hours and hours reading and looking at everyone''s pretty pictures.

Haven''t bought anything yet, because I have to think my purchases out very carefully, but I do have these morganite pears I want to set as earring jackets to go with my diamond studs and pearl studs. Except that I would like nicer pearl studs - hence me thinking I''ll pop in over here and see what gives .......

So I''m thinking my first purchase will be a pair of 7.5-8.0 Hanadama pearl studs What do you all think? Is there something or somewhere else I should look first?

Welcome to the club Gailey!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey- you are not alone! I just popped in here yesterday, and spent some money already
23.gif

YOur link isn''t working correctly or is it just me
33.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey welcome to pearl country. Since my new pearl addiction I have bought 4 items!!!! The link did not work for me but I say you can''t go wrong with Hanadamas since they are the finest of Akoya pearls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
emsad.gif

Just wanted to mention that you might want to think about what overtone necklace you''ll want to buy in the future (yes, it will happen). If you decide you want a silver overtone necklace, the rose overtone of the hanadama studs won''t match. Just a thought.

I, personally, don''t like how a whole strand of rose pearls looks on me, but a rose pendant is ok. It just doesn''t work with my skin, so a whole strand is too much rose for me.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the pearl section! I think akoya studs would be a great place to start. Of course then you''ll be wanting to try some freshadamas, some tahitians... etc.
Pearls are lots of fun :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 4:27:14 PM
Author: brightlight

emsad.gif

Just wanted to mention that you might want to think about what overtone necklace you''ll want to buy in the future (yes, it will happen). If you decide you want a silver overtone necklace, the rose overtone of the hanadama studs won''t match. Just a thought.

I, personally, don''t like how a whole strand of rose pearls looks on me, but a rose pendant is ok. It just doesn''t work with my skin, so a whole strand is too much rose for me.

Good point.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hanadama studs sound gorgeous!

I don't know if you are especially partial to akoyas, but if not you might give Freshadamas a shot. I used to be seriously dedicated to akoyas till I visited Pearl Paradise's showroom in California, and fell in love with a Freshadama strand.

And welcome!!

I think that another PS'er has a pair of Hanadama studs from PP; I think the pics are posted in the SMTPearls thread.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the welcome ladies.

I don''t know why my link didn''t work, I''ll try again 7.5-8.0 Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise

I take note about the pinkish colour vs. a whiter coloured necklace. My existing pearl studs, while not the greatest quality are whiter.

Does anyone have experience of buying from Pearl Paradise?

Do any of our Canadian pearl lovers have any Canadian vendors that they would recommend?

I have to go out in a bit, but when I come back, I will see if I can scan in Grandma''s wedding pearls.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 5:00:38 PM
Author: szh07
Hanadama studs sound gorgeous!

I don''t know if you are especially partial to akoyas, but if not you might give Freshadamas a shot. I used to be seriously dedicated to akoyas till I visited Pearl Paradise''s showroom in California, and fell in love with a Freshadama strand.

And welcome!!

I think that another PS''er has a pair of Hanadama studs from PP; I think the pics are posted in the SMTPearls thread.
Ooh thanks, I''ll try and find them.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love Pearl Paradise!

I bought from them a couple of times; I have a Freshadama strand, a pair of peach studs, and a loose freshwater pearl. Their customer service is great, and as far as I know they don''t charge a restocking fee for returned items. I tend to prefer a rose overtone, but that''s just me. Larger purchases also come with a Pearl DVD which is awesome.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well, what a fortuitous afternoon! I thought I would gather up my meagre pearl collection and photograph it. All the screw backs and the seed pearl & amethyst ring belonged to my Grandmother. In fact, I think the two sets of smaller screw backs might well have belonged to my Great Grandmother, I can check that in a while.

I also found the missing gem paper for my morganite pears that I want to buy new studs to go with. I now have the dimensions of the morganites, 12 x 7 x 5.4 mm. I''m thinking that if I want the ensemble to look balanced then maybe I should opt for studs that are no greater than 7mm, what do you all think?

Here''s a picture of my morganites. Do you think the Hanadamas will be a good complement. I know there are pinker pearls out there, but I don'' really want the studs to be too pink.

Morganite pears 01 01.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
So here''s a picture of all my pearls. I have others including my other Grandmother''s necklace, but I don''t think they are real, so I didn''t bother photographing them.

Not as impressive as all of yours, but hey - a Gal has got to start somewhere right? Many of these pieces are family heirlooms too,

pearls by Gailey 01.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
This box of treasures was given to me by my Aunt last year, along with a lace collar and a photograph of my great Grandmother wearing it along with the silver brooch you see here. I will dig out the photo and see if she is wearing the pearls as well. That dates this little lot to between 100 and 150 years old. I''ve never worn them and don''t think I will because I would hate to lose one.

pearls by Gailey 08.jpg

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 5:08:57 PM
Author: Gailey

I don't know why my link didn't work, I'll try again 7.5-8.0 Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise

I take note about the pinkish colour vs. a whiter coloured necklace. My existing pearl studs, while not the greatest quality are whiter.

Do any of our Canadian pearl lovers have any Canadian vendors that they would recommend?

I have to go out in a bit, but when I come back, I will see if I can scan in Grandma's wedding pearls.

Hi Gailey!

I'm a Canadian pearl lover
2.gif
but unfortunately don't know of any Canadian vendors I can recommend. I did buy a pair of Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise not too long ago and have to say I received wonderful service.

I
30.gif
my earrings! They do have a pinkish tone to them but it works with my skin. I couldn't be happier with them.

The plan is to get a coordinating necklace, hopefully for my birthday.

PS: I posted a couple of photos with my old camera but have since gotten a new one that takes better photos. If you would like to see a photo, I'd be happy to post.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gailey,
Welcome to the pearl club. It''s very addictive.

You might want to check out this pair of 9-9.5mm akoya studs as well as this pair of 9.5-10mm akoya studs. They are both on sale at 50% off the listed price. Elana has great pearls. I bought my tahitian strand and white SS pearl dangle jackets from her.

Have fun.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
those morganites are very pretty! for my taste, I might actually go with a 5.5-6.5mm stud to go with those, but I like dainty jewelery for the most part. I''m sure whatever you go with will look gorgeous!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 7:04:34 PM
Author: DiaDiva
Hi Gailey,

You might want to check out this pair of 9-9.5mm akoya studs as well as this pair of 9.5-10mm akoya studs. They are both on sale at 50% off the listed price. Elana has great pearls. I bought my tahitian strand and white SS pearl dangle jackets from her.

Have fun.
Thanks DD

I think 9-9.5 mms will be too big for me. I have the world''s tiniest ear lobes.

But while we are on the subject of akoyas, can I ask some opinions. I''ve just been reading about the Freshadamas and they appeal to me on a number of levels:

1. Cost, a fraction of the Hanadamas (might be able to get the necklace at the same time as the studs!)
2. Solid Nacre vs thin veneer
3. Soft glow vs, high metallic lustre

Does anyone have both types (Freshadamas and Hanadamas) and can they tell me how they compare.

I feel a purchase coming on very shortly ladies!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 9:21:06 PM
Author: kas baby
those morganites are very pretty! for my taste, I might actually go with a 5.5-6.5mm stud to go with those, but I like dainty jewelery for the most part. I''m sure whatever you go with will look gorgeous!!!
Thanks Kas, they are even more lovely IRL, my photography skills suck! I think I want the studs to be a little bigger, but not much. Smaller I think would look fine with the Morganites, but not so great on their own. I think I would wear them more on their own than with the morganites (bit showy for the Co-op!). I wear my existing studs all the time when I am not working.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 6:48:55 PM
Author: CDNinNYC

Date: 8/7/2009 5:08:57 PM

I don''t know why my link didn''t work, I''ll try again 7.5-8.0 Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise

I have to go out in a bit, but when I come back, I will see if I can scan in Grandma''s wedding pearls.

Hi Gailey!

I''m a Canadian pearl lover
2.gif
but unfortunately don''t know of any Canadian vendors I can recommend. I did buy a pair of Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise not too long ago and have to say I received wonderful service.

I
30.gif
my earrings! They do have a pinkish tone to them but it works with my skin. I couldn''t be happier with them.

The plan is to get a coordinating necklace, hopefully for my birthday.

PS: I posted a couple of photos with my old camera but have since gotten a new one that takes better photos. If you would like to see a photo, I''d be happy to post.
Yes please CDN, I''ve got a lot to learn and the more photos and help the better!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, you''re lucky to have dainty lobes. My lobes are big so I always need larger studs of any kind...hahaha...very expensive for me.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Gailey, you''re in trouble now. I''ve been lurking in here for about a month, now....I did purchase a few necklaces and strands of pearls but haven''t posted it yet. What I want to do is learn how to string the pearls into a nice long necklace. Something for both of us to do when it''s raining outside!
31.gif
31.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 11:27:31 PM
Author: mochi
Gailey, you''re in trouble now. I''ve been lurking in here for about a month, now....I did purchase a few necklaces and strands of pearls but haven''t posted it yet. What I want to do is learn how to string the pearls into a nice long necklace. Something for both of us to do when it''s raining outside!
31.gif
31.gif
You know Mochi, that''s not a bad idea. I know a gal here in town who can teach me! I feel a whole new hobby coming on.

Meanwhile, I''ve just managed to persuade Mr Gailey that I don''t need a handbag for my birthday but I do need new "poils"!

Seriously thinking about Operal length, but it''s late, I won''t do anything rash!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 9:39:38 PM
Date: 8/7/2009 7:04:34 PM

Author: DiaDiva

Hi Gailey,

Have fun.
Thanks DD

I think 9-9.5 mms will be too big for me. I have the world''s tiniest ear lobes.

But while we are on the subject of akoyas, can I ask some opinions. I''ve just been reading about the Freshadamas and they appeal to me on a number of levels:

1. Cost, a fraction of the Hanadamas (might be able to get the necklace at the same time as the studs!)

2. Solid Nacre vs thin veneer

3. Soft glow vs, high metallic lustre

Does anyone have both types (Freshadamas and Hanadamas) and can they tell me how they compare.

I feel a purchase coming on very shortly ladies!

The SA at PP told me that a woman came in to buy a double strand of Hanadamas but walked out with Freshadamas after comparing them! Her named was Kirsten, and she was really super nice and I believe GIA certified, and really honest. They''d probably make much more of a profit by selling the Hanadamas, so it must be a testament of her honesty. When I first walked in, I asked to compare the AAA akoyas with the Freshadamas, and honestly could not tell the difference. The akoyas cost almost twice as much, and she could have pushed them, but let me pick whatever I wanted.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and their return policy is amazing, so I''m pretty sure you could buy a strand and take it to a local jeweler and compare it to whatever else is out there, and then return it if you''re not happy.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your morganites are gorgeous! Those would be just luscious as earring jackets with pearls. I too vote for the Freshadamas......... no one will know that they are not Hanadamas if they look so much like them. Besides, it only makes sense to go that route if you are wanting a necklace too!!
11.gif
Pearl Paradise has stellar service. I love all the little extra''s that you get from them with your purchase!! You will be amazed!!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gailey
36.gif

I took some photos this morning of my studs; hopefully the visual helps.

There was a specific reason I went with the Hanadamas, besides the fact they are beautiful. I wanted something ultra-special as I bought them for my wedding day and they were the only piece of jewelry I wore, besides my e-ring and wb. There's a sentimentality I hold towards these earrings; whenever I put them on I remember the first day I wore them.

I know you're getting a lot of different recommendations on what type of pearls to get. I can't recommend one over the other as I have never seen Freshadamas in person, although I have read they are beautiful!

In this photo, not only can you see a bit of the pink overtone, you can see my camera and the tv hanging on the wall (bit of yellow on the left stud).

CDNsPearlStuds02.jpg

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
A shot taken a bit further away. You can see me behind the camera in this one.

CDNsPearlStuds01a1.jpg

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
CDN, those earrings are gorgeous! What size are they?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Here's a cropped photo of me wearing them on my wedding day. I wanted to include this one 'cause it not only shows how the size 7.6mm looks in an ear-shot but I think it also shows that they don't look as pink on the ear as they do off.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

PS. I also dealt with Kirsten at PP; she was fantastic to work with.

ETA: woah, that was huge! Eek, sorry!!!

CDNsPearStuds03c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results