shape
carat
color
clarity

Now what?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dek12nv

Rough_Rock
I must say that this website and all that contribute help out so much. That is why I am asking for your advice.

My girlfriend has always said that she liked pricess cut diamonds, but i thought with a little education i could convince her of why the round was nicer. I was wrong! She does like the round, but still prefers the princess. My questions to you are:

1. Is there any proven guidelines to choosing a princess cut diamond? I love the scientific aspects of choosing a round.
2. Is it worth buying a branded princess cut diamond that has more facets cut into it, such as the Lila diamond at Zales or the one Hearts on Fire makes.
3. Or do I continue to try an convince her why the round is incredible. I just do not want her to get what she wants, but i at least want her to be educated.

My current goals are around 1ct, G or better in color, and VS1 or better. I was looking into the H&A round, but now it appears i must look at many others.

Thanks in advance!

Any other thoughts would also be wonderful about the above.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dek,

Well, as you apparently have already learned, there is a much larger gray area when shopping for a princess (or any fancy-shaped) diamond. Although there are many princess' that will knock your socks off, it's much harder to determine sight unseen what any given stone will look like. But, if your sweetie has her heart set on a princess cut, it's only right that you get her what she wants, eh?

site. The AGA is one of the few respected organizations that have attempted to grade cut quality on fancies, and from what everybody seems to say, their standards are pretty reliable. You may want to check them out to see what one expert considers to be the optimal proportions for fancies.

It definitely worth noting that the charts are only guidelines, and any stone you choose should probably be checked out by an independent appraiser before you finally purchase. Since the fancies are so varied in the way they're cut, there's a greater chance of a poor performer, even if you stay within the AGA specs.

also has a princess section that you may want to check out.

Good luck in your search!

-Tim

[/u][/u][/u][/u]

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Tim is correct!

Although there are many different things to consider
while purchasing a princess or round cut. Your sweethearts
hopes should ultimately be fulfilled, and you could be
extremely pleased with either of these cuts if you do your
homework.

Kirk

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
An IdealScope is a handy thing as well when trying to decide between one stone or another. You can visually see with your own eyes the differing amounts of light return. It's an excellent tool for quickly eliminating poor performers. For only $25 (located on menu above), you can't beat it.

dek12nv

Rough_Rock
Thank you to those that have commented. What if I went with a radiant cut diamond instead of a princess? Would these be the best of both worlds?

Thanks again.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi again Dek,

Just out of curiosity, if your sweetie has her heart set on a princess diamond, why are you resisting? Why risk having her be even a little disappointed with a diamond she will (hopefully) cherish forever? My thought would be that you should try to get what she desires. I realize the similarities of the two cuts are great, and I actually prefer the shape of the radiant cut over the princess as well, but our preferences as testosterone-bearers are kind of irrelevant in this case, no? This is an estrogen game all the way, I think.
1.gif
Heck, maybe she just likes the idea of owning a diamond called a "princess" diamond. Sounds like a good enough reason to me!

-Tim

dek12nv

Rough_Rock
Optimized

I could not agree with you more! I have been trying to do the research without her knowledge and the only info I have is that she likes the princess. I guess that I will have to actually take her, sit her down, and show her several different cuts and get her honest opinion. But, yes, she will get whatever she wants.

Thanks

Dek

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dek--I understand your desire to satisfy both of you....you in the shopping and scientific aspect of the research done on the rounds...and her in the way of getting a stone she really loves and can be proud of.

Here is my suggestion. Since you are open to taking her around a bit and looking..I would immediately buy an Ideal Scope. Take it with you when you go with her to various jewelry stores. Check out princess stones with the IS. See the light leakage and the light return for those stones. Then check out a few round brilliants. Get an 'ideal' one, a not quite so ideal, etc. Look at a bunch of stones. Get a feel for what she likes..and also bend her ear a bit on what all of that red and black and white means.

There is a good possibility that as she starts to see that many princess cut diamonds do not return the maximum amount of light, she may be hooked on a round brilliant too! Or she may think...well thats all nice and fine but I still like the square cut. At that point you've done your best to educate her on the basics of light return and then you have your answer. If she knows the princess's flaws and still loves it, focus on a search for a very good princess cut, the IS will help you immensely in weeding out the duds. Or if she says..wow I can't believe those sharp arrows on that SuperIdeal stone...then you've sold her on a round and you get to play with the science and math tools all you want.

In the end at least you are both a little more educated, and you are learning the art of communication and possibly compromise early in the potential-marriage, hee hee. I agree with getting the female what she wants for the most part, but I think that the guy is spending the money, so it shouldn't be all about the girl getting what she wants. That is not the way life is anyway! In the end what is important is that you both love what you end up with and be educated about it as well.

I originally liked princess cuts, just because of the shape. But round is more classic and that is more my personality. Plus now that I have seen IS images of many princesses...wow am I glad I steered clear. They are sparkly but nothing like a round brilliant that is well cut!! And the IS images don't lie....you see white all over the place in many princess cuts. But it's a preference thing. Some go for the look of the stone in general (e.g. emeralds are not sparkly, but more glass-like and many people adore that look), and others go for the maximum sparkle.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the best compromise is to take her and shop around. You may lose some of the surprise factor, but IMO the security factor more than makes up for it.

However, gotta disagree with Mara
2.gif
:

I agree with getting the female what she wants for the most part, but I think that the guy is spending the money, so it shouldn't be all about the girl getting what she wants.

An e-ring is a gift, and the ultimate romantic gift a man can get a woman. By getting her a ring she 100% loves, even if it isn't to the man's tastes, shows that he truly wants to put her happiness first.

Not buying her ring she loves because he considers it inferior is like trading in her beloved mutt for a purebred show dog.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hest--good point!
1.gif
However the real root of what I meant was...don't just buy her what she wants because she wants it. BAD precedence for future married life!!!
2.gif
Educate her if you can involve her! Things may change!

Of course the ring is such a romantic gift etc, but I would not have wanted something that my SO did not find equally as attractive--he has to look at it on my finger too for the rest of our lives! I would not want him to look at my finger going..many I really could have gotten her that awesome round brilliant, but she wanted this. Then again, I never had my heart set on anything while looking and liked almost everything placed on my finger while we were looking so maybe I am the wrong audience!
1.gif

I see so many women in life who say the good old 'Get her whatever she wants, its her gift and her ring!'...and I just don't agree wholeheartedly. I think that there can be a balance between both parties...esp if the guy has strong feelings as well on the purchase--this his feelings should be considered as well.

Of course we don't want the women to be unhappy with what they get!! That would ruin the entire plan. So my suggestion to Dek was in the hope that he could 'turn' his girl over by looking at the 'bright' side of things (ha ha). If that does not work, get her the princess cut..or a Dream or something similar. Sounds like the Dream or a similar high quality rounded square or Regent stone may be the compromise they need for both to walk away happy.

I guess I have yet to really meet a woman whose fiance put alot of work into the process who is bitter or unhappy with what she ended up with. Most of the time we women feel like we want one thing and have our mind set on that...but if we know that our guys spent countless hours agonizing over every little thing and making sure that we got the 'best' in his eyes, and our finished product is a little more unique or different than what we thought, all the better!! In my mind it's a romantic gift that both should be extremely jazzed about...and both should share the love of the final product. My two cents though...just wanted to clarify my thoughts, I am sure not everyone will agree!

Dek let us know what you do!!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I agree Mara. I mean, how many hideous stones have you seen out there worn proudly by women who have never seen a decent stone in their lives?

I also remember when I was first looking for my e-ring how my preferences changed as I looked further. I just didn't realize how many possibilities were out there until I started doing my research! Hopefully Dek's GF will be able to benefit from his diligence, but hopefully Dek will also not be too disappointed if his GF likes something that's not quite up to par.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/9/2003 1:50:41 PM Mara wrote:

Hest--good point! However the real root of what I meant was...don't just buy her what she wants because she wants it. BAD precedence for future married life!!!

Educate her if you can involve her! Things may change!
----------------

Honestly, Hest, I do agree with you. I respect Mara's opinion, but I think an engagement ring differs from other life decisions.

To most women, the engagement and the wedding are pinnacle points in her life that she dreams about long in advance. There are enough other things in life to settle for....the engagement ring, which will hopefully last for 50-60 years, shouldn't be one of them.

I think Divergrl will back this up. She got a ring that her s/o thought was the best thing on the planet, but it wasn't really what her heart desired. She's now in the process of replacing EVERYTHING about that ring....the stone,the setting, etc.

As far as setting a bad precedent.....hogwash. Giving a woman the ring of her dreams doesn't imply that a man is willing to lay down on every purchase for the rest of his life. Some purchases are more important than others, and this is one of the most significant he will ever make. She will be the one wearing it; it should be what her heart desires.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results