shape
carat
color
clarity

Now What? I Want to Buy This Already!

ags0

Rough_Rock
After months of looking through way too many diamond websites, I am 90% convinced on getting this particular princess cut diamond on a replica Tiffany Novo setting. The vendor already has the diamond on hold for me. You can see all the details of the diamond and the setting below.

I thought I had everything under control all along. But then I woke up this morning, and all these questions popped up in my head. Ahhhhh!! :???:

1. The price is ~$7700 for the diamond + $1900 for the platinum setting. Total is ~$9600. Does that sound about right or am I getting ripped off?
2. Should I just order the diamond first, and then send it back to the vendor to put it on the setting after? I figured that way I can look at the diamond for myself first since I haven't personally seen the diamond yet. I can also take it to an independent appraiser to get some professional advice. Is this the common practice?
3. I don't even know of any independent appraiser! I read on PS that there are several really good appraisers in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any recommendations?

The sample pictures for the setting look REAL nice. I will be so happy if it turns out like this at the end. I didn't trust my taste at first, so I sent the pictures to a bunch of female friends of mine. All of them loved it. I even showed my mom, and she is now asking my dad to buy her one too. :lol:

Link to check out the setting
Link to AGS report

What are you guys think? Should I just pull the trigger and buy this? HELP!!

Here are the diamond specs:
- Measurements: 6.30 x 6.23 x 4.73 mm
- Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
- Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
- Clarity Grade: AGS 3 (VS1)
- Carat Weight: 1.513
- Polish: Ideal
- Symmetry: Ideal
- Table: 59.0%
- Crown Height: 12.5%
- Total Depth: 75.9%

231105_xlarge.jpg
231104_xlarge.jpg 3785_xlarge.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great. you should be fine just getting the final piece appraised.

ags0

Rough_Rock
slg47|1306016960|2927458 said:
I think it looks great. you should be fine just getting the final piece appraised.

So should I ask for just the diamond first? Or tell them to just do it all at once and send the final piece? It's from excel diamonds so it's pretty reputable (at least from what I heard).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah I think you can get the diamond set and then get the entire piece appraised, unless for some reason you wanted the loose diamond appraised separately? if this is just for insurance purposes getting the finished ring appraised should be fine. getting the loose diamond appraised is generally recommended when it is an estate diamond but in your case the diamond comes with an AGS report.

ags0

Rough_Rock
slg47|1306017570|2927464 said:
yeah I think you can get the diamond set and then get the entire piece appraised, unless for some reason you wanted the loose diamond appraised separately? if this is just for insurance purposes getting the finished ring appraised should be fine. getting the loose diamond appraised is generally recommended when it is an estate diamond but in your case the diamond comes with an AGS report.

Ok thanks for making me feel better again, Slg. The only reason why I thought of doing the whole "back and forth" thing is because I want to make sure that they are actually going to put the right diamond on the setting for me. But I guess the appraiser would be able to see all that huh?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ags0|1306018148|2927470 said:
slg47|1306017570|2927464 said:

Ok thanks for making me feel better again, Slg. The only reason why I thought of doing the whole "back and forth" thing is because I want to make sure that they are actually going to put the right diamond on the setting for me. But I guess the appraiser would be able to see all that huh?

The appraiser will be able to tell if it's the right diamond even if it's in the setting.

ags0

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks. Any thoughts on the price? According to PS price stats, it's pretty much right on par. Given that this is an AGS0 princess, I figured it's priced pretty well?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Price seems good, you can look for comps using the search function above. Excel is very competitive.

2. Have it set then sent to you then have it appraised for insurance. It is an AGS0, all you really need is a professional to tell you the diamond matches the cert, and they can do that with it set by looking for an inscription or looking at the inclusion map. They can also give you an appraisal of the retail replacement value. You don't really need other information form them.

3. Can't help there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ags0|1306016829|2927455 said:
1. The price is ~$7700 for the diamond + $1900 for the platinum setting. Total is ~$9600. Does that sound about right or am I getting ripped off?
2. Should I just order the diamond first, and then send it back to the vendor to put it on the setting after? I figured that way I can look at the diamond for myself first since I haven't personally seen the diamond yet. I can also take it to an independent appraiser to get some professional advice. Is this the common practice?
3. I don't even know of any independent appraiser! I read on PS that there are several really good appraisers in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any recommendations?

1. Okay, I'm going to differ from prior posters on this - I definitely think you should have the stone shipped out loose to be sure that you love it. You're spending thousands, what's a couple hundred more and another few days for that reassurance? I say this for two reasons: one - because I've owned (actually still own) a stone that is *perfect* by the numbers/IS/ASET/photos... and truly, it does nothing for me. And I've owned a stone that was less than perfect by the report and it was a love affair for the memoirs. And two - the most important bit of all of this is what your eyes like, and you have no knowledge of that if you've never seen the stone. Now, granted, most people don't know or care to look so I wouldn't bother seriously suggesting it, but I've been following your many threads on this ags0 and clearly you are the sort of person who will look, and will look closely, and will care about what you find! Hence the recommendation ;))

2. Price sounds fine!

3. Many PSers have posted about good experiences with Nancy Stacy, if you do a search.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie I hope you are not talking about your 2.7 when you mention the diamond that does nothing for you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1306045514|2927624 said:
Yssie I hope you are not talking about your 2.7 when you mention the diamond that does nothing for you.

:errrr:

My 0.8 60/60 E VS. So, pretty much the opposite - and it's become rather the oddity in the sock drawer, so to speak..

ags0

Rough_Rock
Hmm... I'll have to think about the back and forth shipping. They are sending me a plastic ring sizer to get her true ring size. Better safe than sorry!

Now I have another question (sorry!!): What do you guys think of color K diamonds? I found an 2+ carat one with VS1 clarity for a pretty good price. I haven't seen the pictures yet, but is generally color K too yellowish?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't consider a princess in K color. It will be noticeably tinted. The I color you've chosen is as low as I'd go in a princess.

I hate to say this, but I think Brian Gavin's Novo replica (the Novella) is superior to the one you have pictured. The workmanship is not looking nearly as good on the one you have posted compared with photos of the Novella. I'd take a close look at both of them before you commit.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-details-and-pics-of-the-rock-inside.154354/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-details-and-pics-of-the-rock-inside.154354/[/URL]

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5372

ags0

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306086073|2927798 said:
I wouldn't consider a princess in K color. It will be noticeably tinted. The I color you've chosen is as low as I'd go in a princess.

I hate to say this, but I think Brian Gavin's Novo replica (the Novella) is superior to the one you have pictured. The workmanship is not looking nearly as good on the one you have posted compared with photos of the Novella. I'd take a close look at both of them before you commit.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-details-and-pics-of-the-rock-inside.154354/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-details-and-pics-of-the-rock-inside.154354/[/URL]

I actually saw this last night as well. Does anyone any experience with the Excel Novo replica or the Novela? I did a search on the forums and seems like there are fans for both of these.

Edited: Actually, what don't you like about the workmanship on the Excel replica? I am just curious.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ags0|1306085261|2927788 said:
Hmm... I'll have to think about the back and forth shipping. They are sending me a plastic ring sizer to get her true ring size. Better safe than sorry!

Now I have another question (sorry!!): What do you guys think of color K diamonds? I found an 2+ carat one with VS1 clarity for a pretty good price. I haven't seen the pictures yet, but is generally color K too yellowish?

In a princess? Depends on the person. For me, it is too tinted but not tinted *enough* for it to be "purposeful" if you will. It would be a noticable tint, but whether it seems yellow or is unappealing depends on the viewer.

ags0

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306086073|2927798 said:

Hmm... I also found two similar settings on GOG. Any thoughts on these?

GOG#1
GOG#2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excel gave you an aset and an ideal scope image but you cant get a regular picture?

BTW - I like both the GOG settings. Second one best.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ones at BGD and GOG look more delicate to my eye, and that is why they look a little "better". I suspect they would all three be very nice in person, but if you are super picky then I would opt for one of the GOG or BGD options myself. I actually really like the image of the second GOG the best. Not sure how it compares to the "original" Tiffany, but I like the more smooth pave style and the head is nice too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
The excel replica has more metal showing than the BGD or the GOG settings do. I really like the 2nd GOG setting best of the the one's you've posted. We've seen pictures of BG's replica and it's very nice as well. I also wouldn't go down to a K in a princess. I'm not overly color sensitive and I can definitely see color once you get into that color range in fancy shapes.

ags0

Rough_Rock
I also really like the 2nd GOG setting. I just sent them an email asking for more info. Let's hope it's not too expensive!

ags0

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1306105992|2927957 said:
Excel gave you an aset and an ideal scope image but you cant get a regular picture?

BTW - I like both the GOG settings. Second one best.

Oh here's the real picture. I just didn't upload it before, sorry.
630300_xlarge.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also wouldn't do a K in a princess. Not because it's more tinted (though it would be visible unless you're unusually colour-insensitive), but because the colour is concentrated unequally throughout the stone - the corners would look more tinted than the centre, and the unevenness of the colouring would drive me nuts.

Plastic ring sizers are NOT as accurate as metal ones in approximately the width of the band (or bands, if planning on multiple). Save yourself the hassle and do it right w/ the metal sizers.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is very appealing to me. I love the smaller table. It looks very clean and crisp and the asets/ideal scope images
look good to me too.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I really like warm stones but I bought a round M, a round K and a princess K. The princess K looks more tinted that the round M. It's a deeper cut and seems to show the color more. If you are iffy about the color you ought to take a look at it before setting.

ags0

Rough_Rock
swingirl|1306182974|2928472 said:
I really like warm stones but I bought a round M, a round K and a princess K. The princess K looks more tinted that the round M. It's a deeper cut and seems to show the color more. If you are iffy about the color you ought to take a look at it before setting.

I gave up on the princess K. I know it's going to bother me forever if I get it. :errrr:

ags0

Rough_Rock
I just realized that this engagement ring buying mission is getting more and more complicated.

Now that I really like the 2nd GOG setting. I guess I should just buy the diamond first, inspect it, and then send it to GOG for the setting, then re-inspect it again after? Is there an easier way to do this?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe get the diamond from GOG also so that they will cover it during the setting process?

ags0

Rough_Rock
slg47|1306194566|2928647 said:
maybe get the diamond from GOG also so that they will cover it during the setting process?

They don't have the diamond that I want. At least not online anyway. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results