shape
carat
color
clarity

Now some stores are putting up signs denying customers who wear masks

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoever said that the WHO’s scientists & medical experts recommend masks for everyone whenever they are in public/around others is incorrect. They only recommend mask-wearing (for non-medical professionals) when “you” are sick or helping someone who is sick with COVID.

5751D399-6906-43D0-B284-3F0535EA7EAC.jpeg C652A71A-86D7-4FFF-AC42-8CA73E0E5DBC.jpeg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty sure the CDC is recommending people wear a mask when out in public.

Dr Fauci said he wears a mask as a symbol of “what we should be doing”.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Dr Fauci said he wears a mask as a symbol of “what we should be doing”.

I'm sure, to set an example of the right thing to do, our deal leader tRump wears a mask in public too. :clap:
Oh, wait ... :-o

Well that's okay.
I'm sure, unlike all us sinning heathens, Jaeeezuz is protecting the leader of God's country, so he doesn't need a mask. :cry2:

Last edited:

BMI

Shiny_Rock

Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
Learn More
CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.
It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.
The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

Recent Studies:
  • Rothe C, Schunk M, Sothmann P, et al. Transmission of 2019-nCoV Infection from an Asymptomatic Contact in Germany. The New England journal of medicine. 2020;382(10):970-971.
  • Zou L, Ruan F, Huang M, et al. SARS-CoV-2 Viral Load in Upper Respiratory Specimens of Infected Patients. The New England journal of medicine. 2020;382(12):1177-1179.
  • Pan X, Chen D, Xia Y, et al. Asymptomatic cases in a family cluster with SARS-CoV-2 infection. The Lancet Infectious diseases. 2020.
  • Bai Y, Yao L, Wei T, et al. Presumed Asymptomatic Carrier Transmission of COVID-19. Jama. 2020.
  • Kimball A HK, Arons M, et al. Asymptomatic and Presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections in Residents of a Long-Term Care Skilled Nursing Facility — King County, Washington, March 2020. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2020; ePub: 27 March 2020.
  • Wei WE LZ, Chiew CJ, Yong SE, Toh MP, Lee VJ. Presymptomatic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 — Singapore, January 23–March 16, 2020. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2020;ePub: 1 April 2020.
  • Li R, Pei S, Chen B, et al. Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2). Science (New York, NY). 2020.

Page last reviewed: April 3, 2020
Content source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Division of Viral

BMI

Shiny_Rock

About Cloth Face Coverings

COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Studies and evidence on infection control report that these droplets usually travel around 6 feet (about two arms lengths).

A cloth face covering may not protect the wearer, but it may keep the wearer from spreading the virus to others.

Wear Cloth Face Coverings
CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations.
  • Cloth face coverings may slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.
  • Cloth face coverings can be made from household items.
woman wearing face covering, with a detail showing how the cloth barrier helps to contain respiratory droplets that she exhales

Prevent Spread by Those Without Symptoms
While people who are sick or know that they have COVID-19 should isolate at home, COVID-19 can be spread by people who do not have symptoms and do not know that they are infected. That’s why it’s important for everyone to practice social distancing (staying at least 6 feet away from other people) and wear cloth face coverings in public settings. Cloth face coverings provide an extra layer to help prevent the respiratory droplets from traveling in the air and onto other people.

Who should wear
· People older than 2 years of age in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain

Who should not wear
· Children under age 2
· Anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Still, is it worth getting shot, or shooting someone, over a T-shirt?
Thanks to tRump, these are very very tense times. :errrr:
**edited by moderator, inappropriate**

Obviously someone shooting me over a t-shirt is already a preposterous idea, hence my equally preposterous reaction which is that I would have the capability to defend myself.

Lol I love how we got from masks to shooting others over t-shirt designs Kenny. :lol:
Someone needs to unwind a bit eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously someone shooting me over a t-shirt is already a preposterous idea, hence my equally preposterous reaction which is that I would have the capability to defend myself.

Lol I love how we got from masks to shooting others over t-shirt designs Kenny. :lol:
Someone needs to unwind a bit eh?

Didja hear about the security guard who was shot dead after telling a customer entering a store to simply obey the law by putting on a mask.

'Obviously', I'm not the one who needs to 'unwind'. 'eh'? :roll: :nono:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:confused: So the medical experts & scientists at the World Health Org are wrong?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Didja hear about the security guard who was shot dead after telling a customer entering a store to simply obey the law by putting on a mask.

'Obviously', I'm not the one who needs to 'unwind'. 'eh'? :roll: :nono:

Actually, judging by your interactions I think unwinding would do a bit of good for you.

I know times are stressful but lets not try and take it out on others and constantly call everyone idiots who have opposing ideas.

Were all in this together and are experiencing this crazy thing together.
A bit of comedic relief free of aggression would go far right now.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BMI

Shiny_Rock
That was dated 4/6/2020, almost 2 months ago. What I posted is ‘current’.

Yes, I am aware of that. I did not mean to imply in any way that what you posted was inaccurate. Nothing that I saw in that document contradicts their current advice, however it discusses the use of masks in community settings. I was simply providing additional information for you or anyone else interested in reading it. Answering whether they are right or wrong was not my intention. I was already trying to copy the article when you asked the question, so I tagged you in case you were interested to learn more about what they have to say. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CDC is still recommending mask wearing. Dated 5/26/2020.

"

In addition, CDC also recommends that everyone wear cloth face coverings when leaving
their homes, regardless of whether they have fever or symptoms of COVID-19. This is
because of evidence that people with COVID-19 can spread the disease, even when they

don’t have any symptoms.

"

Missy, thanks for posting that.
It's a VERY important read!
I wish everyone would read this.

Thanks Kenny. I agree. From my POV it makes good sense to me to wear a mask when around others. At least for now. New info continues to be learned and I suspect as time goes on we will be finding out new things that might surprise us. In the meantime while we are still learning about this novel virus it is prudent to be cautious. I see little downside to wearing a mask when around others at this time. IMO.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, judging by your interactions I think unwinding would do a bit of good for you.

I know times are stressful but lets not try and take it out on others and constantly call everyone idiots who have opposing ideas.

Report any post you suspect violates PS terms.
Admin will take it from there.

Last edited:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, I will not let Pricescope be a place where people weaponize public health to support political arguments on either side. This is about caring for your community, not politics.

Current WHO evidence is here:
"Wearing a medical mask can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19. However, the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection. Other measures such as physical distancing and hand hygiene should be adopted."

Current CDC here:
"We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

Please, lets be better than the population at large and spend our time thinking about how we can care about this community, instead of politicizing something like public health measures. Everyone is in this together, and many people around the world are hurting for many different reasons.

I will have to shut down this and other political discussions if PS members keep name calling and posting conspiracy theories from either side.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I am aware of that. I did not mean to imply in any way that what you posted was inaccurate. Nothing that I saw in that document contradicts their current advice, however it discusses the use of masks in community settings. I was simply providing additional information for you or anyone else interested in reading it. Answering whether they are right or wrong was not my intention. I was already trying to copy the article when you asked the question, so I tagged you in case you were interested to learn more about what they have to say. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Sorry, didn’t intend to come across ”short”; was just tired. :)

Also wasn’t intending to “mis”communicate anything re: guidance; I’d heard it on the news last night, and rather than link to a news source (since they are all over the place), I went directly to WHO’s site to confirm what I heard and shared that since many here deemed WHO a reliable source of expertise. Obviously people should do what they’re most comfortable/feel is best for them. :wavey:

Reactions: BMI

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had violence here too. In Toronto a convenience store owner was badly beaten after asking a woman to leave for refusing to wear a mask. She also brought back a posse of men who attacked both the store owner and his wife because she had allegedly claimed that he had hit her. I honestly don't understand. If you don't want to follow the rules, don't go in. Why people are turning violent over this is a bit beyond me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-store-beating-masks-1.5586457

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/release.php?id=47224

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Folks, I will not let Pricescope be a place where people weaponize public health to support political arguments on either side. This is about caring for your community, not politics.

Current WHO evidence is here:
"Wearing a medical mask can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19. However, the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection. Other measures such as physical distancing and hand hygiene should be adopted."

Current CDC here:
"We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

Please, lets be better than the population at large and spend our time thinking about how we can care about this community, instead of politicizing something like public health measures. Everyone is in this together, and many people around the world are hurting for many different reasons.

I will have to shut down this and other political discussions if PS members keep name calling and posting conspiracy theories from either side.

Thank you very much, @Ella. You've expressed exactly how I see this - it's about public health and showing care for others in one's community, not politics.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella, thanks for posting links to the WHO and CDC.

While no entity is perfect, these are 2 orgs I also trust to promote and protect public health. :clap:

Last edited:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
It's taken me some time to digest the thinly veiled insinuation that I am sort of troglodyte, and that couldn't be further from the truth. I spend 8-10 hrs a day working in silence and listening to podcasts or news. I listen to Covid news podcasts from around the world, updated daily, among many other subjects, and read the official state statistics of what's going on in my county, which is the microcosm in which I reside. While it is interesting to know what is happening around the country and the world, I take action based upon what is happening around me.

Before I was a lowly groomer, I was a paralegal and law firm administrator. With 3 degrees under my belt and nearly 30 years of legal experience, I am quite adept at critical thinking and making sound decisions based on data....not public opinion, not herd mentality, not social pressure, and least of all, not by the opinions of armchair experts on a jewelry hobby internet forum.

There is a concept called "regional variance" I strongly subscribe to. For those that may not know what this means, generally speaking and as it relates to Covid-19, it means that different areas will have different reactions to the pandemic based upon how hard hit they are. I would not be reacting the same way living in NYC or Chicago in comparison to where I actually live. Much the same way that people living in Wyoming (17 deaths) or Montana (18 deaths) should not be reacting the same as people living in NY (8,308 deaths).

My county has 3,222,498 residents with 177 deaths, half of which are from nursing homes. That equals a .0055% chance of dying from Covid, or half of that if you're not living in a nursing home. Looking at the data with a micro lens, my city has 360k residents with 1,311 confirmed cases, which equals a .365% of catching Covid. I'll take those odds to Vegas all day, every day.

Sources: Orange County Health Info, State of California Covid-19 Update

Further, every single day I hear on local news radio that people should be wearing masks if they cannot maintain social distance in public places. This information is sourced from the Orange County Health Care Agency Order dated 05.28.2020. It states, in pertinent part:

Cloth Face-Covering: All Orange County residents and visitors shall wear a cloth face-covering outside their home when they are not able to maintain at least 6 feet of physical distance from another person who is not a family/household member or does not reside in the same living unit. (emphasis added)

In closing, I found the derogatory comments regarding mask wearing incredibly shortsighted, and the comments regarding my assumed lack of understanding, awareness and intelligence really offensive. I haven't had one single client out of 148 ask me to put one on, and as a matter of fact, if one of them opens the door with one on, they take theirs off as soon as they see that I am not wearing one. I am acting appropriately for my area and in line with how all of my clients are acting as well.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Before I was a lowly groomer, I was a paralegal and law firm administrator. With 3 degrees under my belt and nearly 30 years of legal experience, I am quite adept at critical thinking and making sound decisions based on data....not public opinion, not herd mentality, not social pressure, and least of all, not by the opinions of armchair experts on a jewelry hobby internet forum.

My DH has spent his entire career - 30 years - as an expert in modeling the dispersion and spread of human pathogens, and how to appropriately assess risk of contagion and mitigate that risk in a multitude of scenarios. His expertise has been sought by, and he has worked with, experts from countries throughout the western world. Hardly an "armchair expert." It was his expertise that informed my prior responses to you. His response when asked, yet again, about your particulars, including location specifics? You should wear a mask in all interactions with clients and their dogs, as well as any indoors public settings, gatherings with people outside your home, and outdoor settings in which you're unable to maintain distance of 6'-10' from others - especially if you and others are not moving around but staying in the same place, talking, breathing hard from exertion, etc. Perhaps if you and the other residents of your county were to consistently take that small step that does no harm to you, you all might have the good fortune to keep good numbers as this pandemic goes on - as it will for some time to come.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Look, @SandyinAnaheim, I'm not going to keep debating with you on whether or not you personally wear a mask. You're going to do what you're going to do. Short of a legal edict being passed in your area, you're free to choose. And frankly, by this point, I don't care what you do, since you're not in my community. But if you're going to come on here and refer to my DH as an "armchair expert" on this subject, I'm going to push back on that. If you're going to claim that your knowledge and background renders your judgement on this subject superior to his, and to that of a multitude of his colleagues, physicians, virologists, epidemiologists, and public health experts, you're not going to sell folks on that. There is a distinct attitude growing in America that everyone's opinion on everything is of equal merit - that any person knows just as much about anything as anyone else, regardless of the differences in their educational background and life experience, and therefore it's perfectly fine to, over and over and over again, ignore those who have more expertise. It's wrong and - for a society at large - it's dangerous.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
First, @OboeGal I was NEVER debating with you. Second, this is the SECOND time you take something I post personally when it is not aimed at you. Third, you’ve never cared, nor will ever care, for me or what I do. Fourth, your husband has not posted on here and as such, he is not being referred to. Fifth, I never claimed my judgment superior to anyone else’s, only that it is apt for my environment at this point in time, within the parameters of my behavior, based upon THE INDISPUTABLE FACTS in my microcosm. Sixth, YOU don’t know what harm the mask does to me.

As I’ve previously said, I already maintain 6-10 feet of distance, or more, in the outdoors, for mere moments with all of my clients, so that .0055% of my dying from or .365% chance of contracting Covid is non-existent TO ME, even with a mask since A MASK DOESN’T PROTECT ME. I have a greater chance of being in a car accident and being mobile, I drive all day, every day, and yet, I still drive every day. Our County had 265 flu deaths last year, 50+% higher than the pandemic figures, and yet I still go out and conduct my business with my usual cautious distancing protocols and have only ever had the flu once, after a flu shot 30 years ago.

I’m ok with you doing what feels right for you and if you choose to live your life terror-stricken by a .0055% chance of dying from Covid, then by all means take whatever precautions make you comfortable. What I AM saying is that I don’t feel in danger with the statistics I am living with and don’t feel the need to wear a mask, and it is not required where I live because of the relatively low infection rates we have. That makes me neither an a$$hole, stupid, ignorant, selfish, reckless, or negligent, or whatever other derogatory terms were previously stated.

I understand that this pandemic brings out issues with existential nihilism that people never even knew they had, but I’m not one of them and I’m certainly not going to delve into that deeper subject here. My SIL is the head nurse of ICU for one of the larger hospitals in LA County that IS having a far greater impact than we are down here, and we derive most of our day-to-day info from her. We rely on her daily updates for reliable information and to date, we are doing all the right things for our current exposure level.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
You are not wearing a mask to protect yourself.

Mask wearing protects others from your germs.

I am aware of that @kipari, I established that in my first post on this thread, see below. Further, I am following current WHO recommendations, page 6, section 1.

I heard on the news this morning that the WHO has determined that asymptomatic people rarely shed Covid. I could not find the article yet, but here is a news report. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asy...-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

I KNOW I'm going to regret posting this, but I don't get it. Why does someone who is healthy, unexposed and not coughing and sneezing required to wear a mask? And I'm not talking about people on the front lines, I'm talking about average people at grocery stores and gas stations. Masks are a panacea, they only protect the wearer from not exposing others to their emissions. They DON'T PROTECT THE WEARER FROM CONTRACTING THE VIRUS. Why should healthy people be wearing masks if it doesn't even protect them? I don't view it as selfish in the least. Selfish are those that are trying to impose their flawed understanding of this virus spread on others. Perhaps in certain overpopulated and overcrowded cities it could help, but it wouldn't help more than if the sick and compromised stayed home and the rest could go about their business. Has no one heard of the greater good? Is the destruction of the American economy and the majority of its populace worth less than 100k lives?

Speaking of selfishness, what a monstrous hypocrisy. Most humans don't care about anyone else, only themselves. I see proof of that every single day, starting with our reality star not-so-presidential Dumbo. He is a clueless ego-maniacal embarrassment to the Office of our revered nation. What this country REALLY needs are more people capable of critical thinking and not falling prey to media hype.

I see idiots every day wearing their magical masks while riding their bikes alone, or driving alone, while not wearing gloves. They touch public things and then touch their face. How does the mask protect them then????? I'll tell you. It DOESN'T. If you stand far enough away from others, don't touch things and don't touch your face, you'll be fine....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I, personally, don't believe that the overwhelming majority of masks worn by the general public protect others from the virus in any significant way. I've recently come to realize that "science" in many areas has been totally and completely politicized and monetized to the point of absurdity. Maybe (probably) it's always been like this in disciplines that involve public policy. As a science professional, this has been a depressing and difficult thing to admit. But, to the best of my ability to judge, the studies that show masks are ineffective in lessening the spread of respiratory viruses, appear to be based on more solid grounding than the recent ones claiming that masks are helpful. Your mileage, of course, may vary. In my opinion, some of the recent pro-mask studies are so poorly designed--such as the one where subjects coughed into Petri dishes--that they don't even pass the laugh test. But studies like this shape public opinion and drive public policy.

The fit issues, contamination issues, and the size of the openings between cloth fibers are enough to allow viral particles and many virus laden aerosol droplets to escape. Masks may stop some aerosol particles and/or large droplets from escaping, but why would this work in one direction only? I call it the "Myth of the One Way Mask". If your mask holds in some droplets/aerosol particles, then it would also keep some outside droplets/aerosol particles from coming in. In fact, logically it should be MORE effective in keeping OUT low velocity droplets that might be hanging in the air than keeping IN the high velocity ones that you're expelling through a sneeze or through forced exhalation into your mask. So I don't buy the general attitude that "mask are there to protect others, not you" argument. It does appeal to our better instincts, though, which is probably why it's so often repeated. Like most of us here, I want to be altruistic. I want to do something positive.

Masks are many things--amulets and talismans; therapy and solidarity signals; comfort to some; annoyance to others; but probably pathetically little protection for all of us. I wish they did work.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll wear a mask if I go to the grocery store but I wouldn't be freak out about it if other people chose not to wear a mask.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The U.S.-CDC & W.H.O. have both bungled things regarding COVID right out of the gate between how if/it’s transmitted to testing to masks, and they still aren’t consistent in their recommendations (e.g., general-public-everywhere-mask-wearing yes/no, social distancing 6’ vs. 3’...). WHO’s guidance regarding masks - for general public & medical workers - was updated just yesterday, and still conflicts with CDC’s.

The majority of those who wear them in my area - which has been at best ~50% from what I’ve observed and that was before the protest & riots - are constantly touching/adjusting them ... and that’s if they are even wearing them over their nose/mouth; most have them down under their chin. My own Governor - who has been hammering citizens for weeks to not even dare step foot outside their bubbles, marched with strangers in the protest last week, removing his mask for periodic photo ops and practiced zero social distancing. People speed in their cars every day, putting others lives - my life - at risk. So speaking for myself only, I am entirely over it all. I will make my own choices based on my doctor’s advice and common sense, and reject any sort of "behavior"-shaming from anyone.

I agree with @SandyinAnaheim - people should refer to their local guidance and/or their medical professional/s who know what’s really going on in their area. No offense @OboeGal , while your intentions may be good, no one really knows you/your hubby/his credentials, and this is the internet; passing along any second-hand medical advice is not only potentially harmful, it’s unethical since neither you nor your hubby are treating PSers (unless I am mistaken).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results