shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy - just as I feared about the meds! Greg got out of the hospital sooner than both of our friends so they both had IV pain meds for a few extra days. When John had his second knee replacement he had the ice machine. It made a huge difference for him.

When I took the one friend to physio I loaded her into the back seat of my car. I have a sedan. I angled her in and she sat sideways. I was able to get her buckled in somehow. I don't think she would have been able to get into an SUV. It was her left leg so there was no way I could get her into my front passenger seat. I took John to physio when he had his right knee replaced. I was able to move the front seat all the way back and he was able to get in with a bit of maneuvering. Maybe when you request a car ensure it's a sedan unless Greg thinks he can hoist himself up.

@marcy - I always chuckle at the term "Canadian" bacon because in Canada we call it back bacon. It's funny all the little different terms/name from country to country.

@Jimmianne - I am so glad your cataract surgery was a success. Yeah to seeing better!

To all the NIRDI's - whenever I am on this thread I am truly amazed at the resilience and strength of all the women here. It seems everyone has been dealt with life difficulties/challenges in one way or the other. As the saying goes, everyone has a story. Virtual hugs to everyone!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marcy The day John tries allergy shots is the day I win the 666million dollar lottery :) he's a staunch believer in not going to the doc unless necessary. :) This time here he said next year we are going up to NY and stay near Chris for 6 weeks to blow this off, of course that is 6 weeks of winter and I'd be shocked if he did that :)

As to a joint replacement, once walking or moving with the affected joint becomes more painful than fear of having it done, then it's time, but any ortho surgeon will tell you it could be late and bone less etc and excruciating pain. It became that I could not sleep at night in any position without 2 vicodin or oxycontin altho back then even my surgeon wouldn't prescribe it to me because of addiction issues and what he had to go thru to prescribe it to a patient. I was fine with that, eventually the pain surpasses any drugs and lack of sleep becomes a real problem.. so when you reach a point where you feel it's affecting your life you will do it! :) xoxoxo

@Tekate I have the same philosophy as John about doctors. I'd probably already consider replacing my knee if I was confident I wouldn't be allergic to whatever they put in my knee. Time will tell, eh?

Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So someone called Greg on his mobile (despite me giving the landlineand asking for a call on that number) and is coming at 2-230. But Greg didn’t ask if it’s the visiting nurse or PT. They told me both would happen today but my dh has no clue who is coming. And we never got another call. So I guess we’ll see who shows up. I’d rather PT but if not I’ll see if we can get someone for physical therapy sooner vs later.

It will just be a surprise @missy Marty would do the same thing.

Reactions: AV_

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and I almost forgot. Greg’s surgeon doesn’t even think greg needs formal PT. He gave him a few exercises to do at home and that’s all he needs according to this surgeon. Greg still wants formal PT and to that end in 2weeks we willl travel to PT. For now I am going to get him home PT though it doesn’t look like that will be today. It’s ok. I’m making sure Greg is doing the exercises he was given at the hospital. He isn’t doing them as much as he should but he is limited by the pain right now. Doing the best he can and hopefully the pain will abate soon.

@missy that's great but I agree doing formal PT for at least the first 2 weeks makes sense.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bling_dream19 that is awesome you are playing over your wedding day in your head. How fun to be working on pictures and enjoying wearing your bands. I totally enjoyed your proposal story. Sounds really nice. I love to cook too but don’t much anymore. Marty eats different things than I do with his lifting. Thank you - I hope my blanket will help keep me warm at work. I think my anal-ness is driving poor Marty crazy. I was rinsing dishes he already rinsed and I was asked “what my rinsing isn’t good enough for you?” Generally that answer would be no but in this case I was just stacking plates he’d already rinsed, cleaning my plate and getting utensils out of the sink. Don’t stress the little stuff of putting things away or organizing things - they wait.

@missy how sweet Greg remembered your engagement anniversary and gave you a red carnation. Hopefully Greg won’t have trouble getting in and out of cars to get to therapy.

@Poodles4me I was interested in your stories about getting people to therapy. When I had my knee surgeries years ago I had to keep my leg straight for 6 weeks; I have no idea how I’d get around like that now. My tiny car requires bent knees and Marty’s pickup is high with a narrow step. I believe everyone has a story and lived through and with many challenges.

Ha Ha I hear Marty revving up my car in the garage. He wanted to take my car on his errands.

My stack-o-stuff is going down. Sweet.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When my Mother had her replacement she was discharged home on T3's. Mind you--she had stronger stuff while hospitalized and spend an extra day bcause she needed to master stairs. Both my sister and I stayed with her post op and her pain was managed with the T3's. We timed it to coincide with her exercises at home. By the time her FU appt with physio/surgeon they could not believe her ROM! It was great that we'd been so diligent with the exercises but my MOm complained non-stop about it because it hurt. Anyway. She did not have formal PT just a visit while at the surgeons office post op.

I was a little surprised Greg was discharged so quickly. I hope his pain gets under control soon. Does he have any sleeping medication? Good he has cold compresses.

healing vibes across the miles--Sharon

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal I remember your mom did well with her surgery and recovery. I know my sister always took a pill before her therapy.

Is it above 0 yet?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the nurse and PT was here and that was good but Greg is intense pain especially after they left. Unfortunately the nurse said we might have trouble getting more Oxy as the doctors are hesitant to Rx it now because of liability re addiction. He said we should try to get the meds but we might not be able to.

Greg is being stubborn re the ice machine as it makes his leg hurt more. But it is necessary to bring down the inflammation and start healing but he is fighting me on it because of the pain. And it makes him super cold. He is really bundled up right now and I got him to agree to doing the ice machine for a bit.

gregbundledupwithicemachine.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When my Mother had her replacement she was discharged home on T3's. Mind you--she had stronger stuff while hospitalized and spend an extra day bcause she needed to master stairs. Both my sister and I stayed with her post op and her pain was managed with the T3's. We timed it to coincide with her exercises at home. By the time her FU appt with physio/surgeon they could not believe her ROM! It was great that we'd been so diligent with the exercises but my MOm complained non-stop about it because it hurt. Anyway. She did not have formal PT just a visit while at the surgeons office post op.

I was a little surprised Greg was discharged so quickly. I hope his pain gets under control soon. Does he have any sleeping medication? Good he has cold compresses.

healing vibes across the miles--Sharon

Thanks Sharon, no sleeping meds unfortunately. Glad you took such great care of your mom and that she did well. I am continuing to encourage him to do the exercise and cold compresses despite the pain.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - just as I feared about the meds! Greg got out of the hospital sooner than both of our friends so they both had IV pain meds for a few extra days. When John had his second knee replacement he had the ice machine. It made a huge difference for him.

When I took the one friend to physio I loaded her into the back seat of my car. I have a sedan. I angled her in and she sat sideways. I was able to get her buckled in somehow. I don't think she would have been able to get into an SUV. It was her left leg so there was no way I could get her into my front passenger seat. I took John to physio when he had his right knee replaced. I was able to move the front seat all the way back and he was able to get in with a bit of maneuvering. Maybe when you request a car ensure it's a sedan unless Greg thinks he can hoist himself up.

Thanks Poodles. I will keep all this in mind. Glad the ice machine helped John so much.

@missy how sweet Greg remembered your engagement anniversary and gave you a red carnation. Hopefully Greg won’t have trouble getting in and out of cars to get to therapy.

Thanks Marcy.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sharon, no sleeping meds unfortunately. Glad you took such great care of your mom and that she did well. I am continuing to encourage him to do the exercise and cold compresses despite the pain.

You are doing a great job Missy! (ya, urinal duty isn't the best...lol) There is major pain associated with this procedure--the good news is, it does diminish. He is still pretty fresh post -op so he isn't complaining for nothing.

Keep healing and carry on!

cheers--Sharon

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if I told you I saw someone wearing those today (and when it was -30):rolleyes:

Fur lined with spikes I assume?

Gosh Missy never occured that to have your leg practically frozen would lower your body temp. Ugh, poor dear Greg. I cannot imagine what you guys are going through. Love, love, love, and (((hugs))).

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@missy Thank you very much indeed for the gruesome post op shot & for the associated 'look away' warnings! [I have since told my knees how much I love them] I hope you have decent access to the next round of painkillers. Then, I can say that there are three physical therapy offices on the main street here - that is, one in five shops. My Spanish neighbours go to these docs as if personal trainers.

Uh, for the side effects of the ice machine!

This must be one memorable engagement anniversary ,( You might worry etal., but the many posts sound good from my side of the screen.

-

We've got an oddball weather scare down here, for freezing & gale winds (reuters www) - I am not seeing any such things. Hopefully it all stays up north & behind the mountains. Today there is just enough light rain & mist to break open the almond buds .)

NIRDI, Good night!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the nurse and PT was here and that was good but Greg is intense pain especially after they left. Unfortunately the nurse said we might have trouble getting more Oxy as the doctors are hesitant to Rx it now because of liability re addiction. He said we should try to get the meds but we might not be able to.

Greg is being stubborn re the ice machine as it makes his leg hurt more. But it is necessary to bring down the inflammation and start healing but he is fighting me on it because of the pain. And it makes him super cold. He is really bundled up right now and I got him to agree to doing the ice machine for a bit.

gregbundledupwithicemachine.jpg

Awe I hate to see Greg is so cold - I wish I could bring him my lap blanket. I hope his pain gets better.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you very much indeed for the gruesome post op shot & for the associated 'look away' warnings! [I have since told my knees how much I love them] I hope you have decent access to the next round of painkillers. Then, I can say that there are three physical therapy offices on the main street here - that is, one in five shops. My Spanish neighbours go to these docs as if personal trainers.

Uh, for the side effects of the ice machine!

This must be one memorable engagement anniversary ,( You might worry etal., but the many posts sound good from my side of the screen.

-

We've got an oddball weather scare down here, for freezing & gale winds (reuters www) - I am not seeing any such things. Hopefully it all stays up north & behind the mountains. Today there is just enough light rain & mist to break open the almond buds .)

NIRDI, Good night!

Oh no @AV_ stay safe from the storm.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy I just saw the photo with poor Greg wearing his jacket and hat...You can see the pain on his face. I’m really hoping it will lessen by tomorrow. He’s breaking my heart..

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy - Did the nurse check Greg’s temperature to ensure he’s not running a fever? When I saw him bundled up that was the first thing I thought of. It is terrible in this day in age when there are so many good options for pain relief that doctors don’t want to prescribe because they are worried about addiction issues. What about the people who really need it - just not fair.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are doing a good job! Keep it up and hopefully the pain will start going down today or tomorrow. And to your amusement re my north: No oxy allowed when going home from the hospital. So years ago (as I wanted to go home after the first night) after they put 12 bolts through my leg, I had the same fun as you when you started the NIRDIs. Point being: after a few days it will get better! So fingers crossed the oxy lasts longer than the pain!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother is starting last round (we hope) of chemo today. So another difficult three weeks ahead now. And then we will just have to hope that the treatments have worked as well as possible.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi missy, I know I am new on here but have been thinking of you. I am a nurse and have looked after people after tkr. This will get better. Hopefully he will be feeling better over the next week or so. I hope he gets the pain relief he needs as it will help with the pt. I am in the uk and we are not as reluctant to prescribe painkillers. Take care! =)2

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother is starting last round (we hope) of chemo today. So another difficult three weeks ahead now. And then we will just have to hope that the treatments have worked as well as possible.

Scandi, I am so sorry your Mom is going through this. Sending her love and good thoughts this morning. You are such a good daughter and I know it must be terribly difficult to see her like this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - Did the nurse check Greg’s temperature to ensure he’s not running a fever? When I saw him bundled up that was the first thing I thought of. It is terrible in this day in age when there are so many good options for pain relief that doctors don’t want to prescribe because they are worried about addiction issues. What about the people who really need it - just not fair.

Thanks @Poodles4me, The Nurse did check his temperature and he was 97.8 so that is OK. Greg just gets super cold with the ice on his leg and also I guess with all he has been through he is more susceptible to temperature changes perhaps? It is not like him to get so cold. We are going to call the surgeon today as he has gone through more than half his pain pills since he has been home only a day and a half.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi missy, I know I am new on here but have been thinking of you. I am a nurse and have looked after people after tkr. This will get better. Hopefully he will be feeling better over the next week or so. I hope he gets the pain relief he needs as it will help with the pt. I am in the uk and we are not as reluctant to prescribe painkillers. Take care! =)2

Thank you so much @Niffler75 for weighing in, I appreciate it very much. It is frustrating here that they are so scared to prescribe pain meds. The Visiting Nurse told us that it was because there have been cases of addiction when the opioids have been used properly just for pain so now they are so much more reluctant to prescribe than before. When they thought if used just for pain one wouldn't become addicted. But he cannot do the PT if in so much pain. So definitely a frustrating situation. Hoping the surgeon will RX more pain meds. Fingers crossed. And thanks again for chiming in to add support and encouragement.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck @Scandinavian !!! Praying for your mom's treatment to be successful and keeping good thoughts for all of you. Sending continued healing dust and big hugs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results