shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Marcy! I found the black opal ring :appl: :clap: which is one of those can't-look-away stones, really top notch.

I'll trundle off to look at these, it'll keep my mind off the fact that my garnet is not going to at Wink's tomorrow morning as paid for. Ups website says "weather delay" but phoenix and boise are gorgeous! Im wondering if UPS is missing its east coast planes or something...argh. as long as its not lost, I'm okay.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved reading the deets on the black opal. They go first to Asia where they are coveted and ponied up for. I bet the Cartier personnel wanted to see it!!!!

Really lovely wedding pics, Missy. Such a beautiful wedding gown, and I love how happy Greg looks. Great pic also at your friend's wedding of you both.

Bea, well! She is a showstopper in every way and I'm glad she has a home with you!!! Btw, she sure has a white dsce up and I love the colors she throws. I love lively stones.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Missy, I hope you are settled at home after the awful experience you had getting home tonight. I know all two well about intelligence and common sense not going together with some managers. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this but it truly is an eye opener, isn't it? I've seen some extremely book smart people who could not find their way out of a paper bag. I once received a lecture from a Vice President of the company I worked for because the dealer who serviced his company car did not tell him that his headlight was going to burn out a week after the car was in for service. I had to ask him if he has ever received a warning a week ahead of time when a lightbulb burns out in a lamp at his house. He sat there thinking about it. I just walked away in disbelief.

Please don't be upset with me but I'm secretly glad Bea is staying in her beautiful setting. She is one of my all time favorite rings. I love everything about her and and just feel that the setting she is in suits her perfectly. Why mess with perfection!

Marcy, I hope the family vacation plans are going well. I especially hope there is a working elevator in the house. Are you looking forward to this trip? I seem to remember you saying everyone gets along well. If that's the case it should be a fun trip. I know we would have a good time if we had a family vacation with my husband's family. We always have a good time when we get together. I think as long as its only a couple days the outcome is usually good. I always cringe when I hear of families going away for a week or longer. Is Marty glad to be home? I loved your comment that you and Marty would not have liked each other had you met when you were young. My husband and I laugh about this all the time. He says I would not have liked him when he was younger.

Jimmianne. I'm sorry the ring wasn't all you hoped she would be but I'm glad there another stone you are interested in. It's better to realize it now rather than three months from now. You are patient and will find what you are looking for.

Kristie, You have to see pictures of Bea. She is a showstopper. My husband even knows what she looks like! I'm not too ring obsessed, am? If he ever wants to divorce me I can hear him telling the judge "you should see all the pictures of rings and diamonds she tries to get me to look at". I know I drive the poor man crazy.

Junebug, I hope you had a great day and stayed inside. It didn't look like you were having good weather today.

OV, I will try to send you email tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. We miss you!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Girls,

Yes, it is sort of a sad feeling that I miss out of all the action here. I do think Marcy that you are right that it is almost impossible to catch up when you are unable to read even just for a couple of days, perhaps this is why sometimes others do not come back but we welcome everyone back and hope you will let me back in and not forget about me.:))) Yes, Callie please email if you can I miss talking to you and others feel free too, it is easier to follow from my iphone. I will try to take my laptop with me I just do not know how much alone time I will get. As it is I registered last minute so I am likely sharing a room with who knows who, a bit scary but hey I think I really need this. Weather is nice and is getting better by next week, still sort of colder here but you can feel spring, love it! I just need to let all the stress out, as it is I am still very stressed about everything often so a bit of relaxing will be good.

Missy, I do hope work was better yesterday. I will catch up with you via email too, I hope that somehow the ivermectin will do the trick for your skin. I missed all the ideas on resetting Bea and you know how much I love these talks, I will really try to catch up, maybe have some time before I head out today just not sure.

Callie do not feel badly about any of your jewelry, why? Many of my pieces from before are not up to PS standards per say and so what? They are special for other reasons. I also have antiques with simply cut horrible quality diamonds but some of them are beautiful pieces and that was consistent with the era and my watch has achtcants. I love so many pieces for many other reasons. I buy different things today but hey that is no reason not to love your others. I guess I do not have perfection disease when it comes to special pieces. There are always trends but we do not always have to follow them or even if we do, we should still be able to appreciate what we got before.

Jimmianne, I am really enjoying your hunt too, it is almost like I am hunting. I am not hunting right now just doing projects but decided that for just one weekend there will be no work though I will likely die from missing jewelry and diamond talk.:))) I might sneak up to my room to read this thread or at least take a quick look and post and catch up late next week if I cannot until then.

For me this will not be much dancing I suspect, I have no clue as they were looking for girls that are new but wellness sounds good too and reading but if I do get to read then it will be PS and not books this time.:))) PS interests me more and you girls interest me more. I think we will have parties too though so who knows. For one weekend I deserve a tiny bit of fun too. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Kristie girlfriend those snails are so adorable, I am thinking ot taking the pendant with me, during the week I wore it out for salsa on Tuesday it totally matched my dress and I cannot decide which side I love more, both are gorgeous, :love: I think I can wear both sides, not? Sorry that I am writing you here also but do write privately too, I miss you! Now, that is a geode you sent? That thing is amazing, I have to say it is one of a kind, you have to give more insight about it. Perhaps I should take pix and share.:))) This was a really cool and wonderful surprise, I just feel that I have not even had enough time to enjoy them yet. I want to baby them a bit.:)))

Hugs to you all and hi to Junebug also, will read your posts soon, hope your mom is ok now and everything is great with you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

Pregcurious, thank you for stopping by and for your good wishes. I appreciate that. I am doing well regarding my leg and getting better every day. I hope all is well with you and your family.

OMG Jimmianne, I LOVE your bunnies! Brontis and his sibling are so precious. :love: I have to say that baby bunnies are just too adorable but grownup rabbits are just as darling! Oh now I want to adopt bunnies. I can see Greg being difficult about this though as he is still adamant about not adopting any puppies or additional kitties right now. ;( :cheeky:
Thank you so much for sharing their pics here! And please if you have more pics of your animals I would so love seeing them.

About your OEC, well, you know how I feel. No need to rush into such a major purchase. The more you see the more you will realize what you want in an OEC. Take your time and eventually you will know. And remember we are all here for you every painstaking delicious step of the journey. It's torture yes but we will gladly put ourselves through it for you. It is quite difficult gazing at these OEC beauties but a sacrifice we are willing to perform. :bigsmile:

Marcy, Oh I am so happy that Marty is back home with you safe and sound. I was concerned due to where he was but didn't want to share how worried I was because I am a worrier and usually no good (thank goodness most of the time my worry is for naught) comes of my worrying LOL. So I am very relieved as I know you must be. YAY!!!

Haha yes Greg says the same thing Marty does. He was a bit of a wild child when he was younger and he doesn't think I would have liked that but as most girls that age we are drawn to the bad boy and marry the nice guy. Turns out I got both with Greg as I am sure you have with Marty. The best of both worlds. :halo:

I am glad your family vacation is taking shape and remember if you and Marty want a beach house to go to mine is available to you guys anytime. Happy to host you guys whenever you want. Same goes for all the NIRDIs and their SOs. :appl:

Thank goodness we don't have to partake in Greg's family vacations. No way would I be able to spend a week or even more than a day with one of my SILs. They do have a family vacation at their lake house in Chicago during Thanksgiving with Greg's 2 brothers, their wives, their children and my MIL. We have never joined them for a few very good reasons and don't plan on it in the future either. Thank goodness. My family doesn't do them now that we are older (though there was talk a couple of years back about a family cruise somewhere exotic but unfortunately for various reasons it didn't happen) though I definitely could do a few days with my family. And Greg loves my family (and they are truly his family now too) and vice versa so that would not be an issue whatsoever.

Aww Marcy, thank you for your kind and generous compliments about Bea. As you read (unless you skipped to the pictures which I could not blame you for doing as I have been known to do that in a thread or 2 LOL) Bea symbolizes the 2 great loves in my life-my dh and my grandmother(whom I miss so much) and it doesn't hurt that she sure is pretty and with a great personality too. A winning combo for sure. Thank you!

Kristie, OMG I cannot believe my old wedding thread was dredged up LOL how embarrassing. :oops: When we meet IRL I can show you my whole album if you like. But I totally understand if you would rather not. I imagine I have shared enough pics here to last you all a lifetime LOLOL. And thank you so much for all your lovely compliments about Bea, the black opal and my wedding dress. Really appreciate that. Happy memories to be sure.

I'm sorry your garnet is probably not going to arrive at Wink's today. :(( This weather is for the birds (though I never fully understood where that saying is coming from) and all that matters is that it gets there safely whenever that is. It was terrible on the east coast yesterday weather wise (you can read my weather related story below if you want to be entertained lol) so perhaps that is the reason for the delay? Planes delayed/cancelled here can affect major hubs all over. Fingers crossed for its safe arrival and sending PS dust to ensure that it gets there!

Callie, first of all I could never be upset with you ever. You always make me smile and feel better and thank you for your wonderful support yesterday. I sure wish I had some peppermint schnapps yesterday to add to my hot cocoa! OMG as you know it was quite the commute back home.

For the NIRDIs who are interested I will share it here too. Yesterday was a very snowy cold windy day. Work went fine and was for the most part uneventful besides me freezing my proverbial a** off in my office.

I left work looking forward to getting home and seeing my sweet kitties and visiting PS for a bit if I had time before Greg got home and we started dinner. I got to the train station a few blocks away from the office (and the streets were slippery and it was still snowing a lot here at 4PM) and went down the subway stairs which were also slippery and my leg was not cooperating as well as usual due to how slippery it was so you can picture me hobbling down the icy stairs in the freezing cold just wanting to get home.

I get down the steps and I see the digital subway screen saying DELAYS...DELAYS...DELAYS scrolling across the screen. OK, I think I have a bit of a wait. Understandable, no biggie and nothing to fret about. Except about a minute later there is an announcement that NO trains at all are running due to a fire at Clark street which is a station away. OMG. No trains at all and it is freezing and snowing with quite the wind outside.

I already know getting a cab will be impossible. I go up the stairs (always easier than down the stairs with my leg) and walk to a bus stop about 3 blocks away. I am not a bus person and have only done it once before (and in fact had to ask directions to it yesterday as I just don't do the bus usually) when there was another subway issue. There are about a hundred people there waiting at the bus stop in the freezing icy weather. And no buses in sight at all.

I tried calling car service but they didn't even answer their phones LOL they were so overwhelmed with customers because of the weather and delays on public transit and of course as I predicted there were no cabs in sight. And no buses either have I mentioned that LOL. Of course at the time I wasn't smiling because I was soooo cold and I was feeling a bit dizzy too like I could pass out. I have never felt woozy for no reason like that before. The only other time I have felt like that was when I see blood and then I can and have passed out. But never just outside alone (i.e. without Greg) and I was hoping I wasn't going to pass out because well you never know if people will be helpful or not.

It was freezing (have I mentioned that?) and people waiting at the bus stop were not in a good mood as some had been there for over 30 minutes already. I called Greg just to let him know I was stuck so he wouldn't worry (didn't tell him about the dizzy woozy part) and he said hold tight he would leave work, get a car service or cab and come and get me. LOL my Prince Charming. Except I knew that was a recipe for disaster so I said no I would figure it out and to stay put.

I had other options but they all involved walking (to a different train line that perhaps was working but not sure) which normally isn't an issue for me but with the slippery streets I decided to just hang tough in the cold and wait for the never coming bus.

Finally (!) it came and I have to laugh because some of the people (all strangers) waiting with me but some waiting for different bus lines were pushing me towards the bus because I was waiting for the others to board first and they were like I would not be able to get on as it was almost full and they didn't want me to miss it. As you probably realize I tend to be friendly to strangers and start up conversations when I am waiting places haha. So I did get to chat with a few of the others waiting and they knew it was the bus I needed and didn't want me to miss it and get shut out since so many others were trying to board the already crowded bus. Who said NYers aren't a friendly bunch.

In fact one of the ladies waiting with me had her little son with her (he was so cute and had this huge school back pack on) and he said to me I should go home with them (they were taking a different bus) and I could have dinner with them and stay over their house hahaha. I don't know if his mom liked that suggestion though she did laugh and say was more than welcome haha.

If you got this far I cannot believe it. :read: And sorry if it bored you to tears LOL. There's a bit more to the story though so if you made it this far might as well read to the end. :cheeky:

OK so now I'm on this unbelievably crowded bus. I mean, people are standing on the stairs right against the doors. I didn't even know this was legal. I don't think it could have been. Most definitely a safety hazard (we're on a bus that stops short and in general NYC buses aren't known for their cautious driving but I digress) but I guess the bus driver took pity on everyone as it really was cold and there were hardly any buses running.

I now realize after finally warming up and so relieved to be on a moving vehicle going towards home that I need to make sure this bus goes near where I live. Fortunately I was not too far from the driver and I squeezed my way towards him (thank goodness everyone was very nice despite the conditions) and asked him if he went near my street. Turns out I needed the local and this was the express. Hahaha, I didn't even know there was an express vs local. I was cool though because I only had about 8 or so blocks to walk and honestly no way would I have waited for the local bus in that weather. I just wanted to get HOME. I know you kwim.
I was extra cautious walking those blocks home and was so relieved when I got there. Woohoo!!!

For those of you who had the patience and time and energy (thank you lol) to read about my commute home yesterday I have one question. Do you think the universe is trying to tell me something? IDK but am keeping alert and listening to the signs. We shall see how much longer I hang in there at work because so far every day I have gone to work there has been something. Yanno? ::)

Junebug, I hope you stayed inside yesterday all comfy and cozy. It was the perfect day for staying inside! And hope all is well with you and that you are getting excited for your trip.

Ovi, I am very glad you are planning a fun weekend and I applaud you for getting a bit out of your comfort zone to do so! I hope you have a blast and that when you come here perhaps you can teach us all how to salsa.

Sarah, still thinking of you and hoping your recovery is going smoothly.

LLJsmom, how is your friend who injured herself doing? And any news re NYC marathon? I think you should be finding out soon...

Sorry for the extra long post today and hope everyone has a great morning. :wavey:

ETA: Adding a pic of my black opal to add some eye candy to my too long post. This is one of my favorite pics of it as it is a notoriously challenging stone to photograph. The colors just cannot be captured on film but this is the best I can do. This stone will warm you up in the cold weather for sure. Just don't wear it in this weather as you all know it is fragile and hates the snow and ice. Just like me these days. :rodent:

_27667.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, MIssy, getting home sounds like a nightmare. I am SO glad you are OK. There is not much worse than being alone in a crowd thinking you might pass out - and Greg! A complete White Knight. You two!...remind me of that O'Henry story about husband & wife wanting to surprise each other for Christmas. The girl cuts and sells her hair to buy her husband a watch chain, and he sells his watch to buy a hair clip for her beautiful hair. True Love.

OV - you will just have to jump back in and not try to figure out what happened while you were on NIRD sabbatical! A weekend away from the thread and who knows where it will be. We need a secretary to take notes and consolidate for NIRDs who take vacations. Hope you have a great time getting away.

Marcy, I'm glad Marty is home safe & sound. When you mentioned that he wasn't in the safest place I felt badly that you had to be so far apart. I'll bet he's happy to be home with you, and that you have a good weekend together!

Off to bunny sit YET AGAIN. This is what always happens - I'm stuck at home with the bunny while my daughter, Kim, is sending me fabulous photos from afar - this time blingy ceiling shots of chandeliers in an antique shop in the French Quarter. Torture! :lol:

but I WILL have my day...with you...NY...GTG... :dance:

a sneak peek of the older cut in sunlight. This stone appears to be more my style facet & culet-wise, but so hard to tell from photos. If I'm lucky, within a week I'll have it here & If I"m lucky this will be the one.
2_204.jpg

HAPPY FRIDAY :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - is there a thread for the opal? I want to see more!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Jimmianne, this picture of your potential OEC dream stone is GORGEOUS. :love:

Those colors, that chunky monkey faceting, that glow from within...all the reasons I fell in love with OECs and am to this day still in love with them. So excited for you!

Have a good day with the bunny! I am so jealous because I would love doing that. I really would. Enjoy and please hug him from me! And Puff too please! :appl:

2_204.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1425648318|3842738 said:
Missy - is there a thread for the opal? I want to see more!!!

I will post the best pics I have of it here. It is notoriously difficult to get decent black opal pics even more so than other jewelry I think so my first thread on it if I remember correctly has awful pics. Here are the few pics I have that I think are decent.

Backstory for those who are interested and don't know it...my dad gave this to my mom in 1972. They got it at Cartier on 5th and it is from Lightning Ridge. It was very romantic because my dad loved giving my mom beautiful things and my mom is not materialistic at all. In fact both my parents are the opposite of materialistic. She never wanted him to buy her things and he was always trying to buy her things LOL. They have one of the best marriages I know and are still very much in love 51 years later. Anyway a number of years ago my mother insisted I take it and wear it because she wasn't wearing it anymore and wanted it to be loved by someone who appreciates it and would enjoy wearing it.

I think their strong marriage is what held me back from getting married when I was younger. Subconsciously I think I resisted thinking I could never have a marriage as amazing as they do. Then fate intervened and sent Greg my way and the only reason I was still not married by the time he got there was because I thought I was anti marriage (for me) and never planned on getting married. HA. Fate showed me who's boss. LOL.

Which brings me to a big thank you to you Jimmianne. I love that you compared Greg and me to the couple in that O'Henry story. I love Gift of the Magi and actually said the very same thing to Greg about it on a number of occasions how the couple in the story sometimes reminds me of us. Thank you sweetie. That is a lovely thing to say.

black_20opal_20oct_202011.jpg

handshotatnight.jpg

_27669.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh.

That black opal. Its AMAZING. Everything. The size. The shape. The colors and distribution. Then the setting? Get outta here!

I saw BLACK opal for the first time at Tucson and once you've seen it, you don't want the other opal. I'm surprised Cartier didn't try to buy it back from you when you took it in for sizing. Maybe they saw that there was NO WAY you were letting that ring go. I hope you wear that ring a lot, Missy, because its truly a rare stone. I think this ring has a lot more OOMMMMPH than a paltry diamond (please don't kick me out of PS for saying "paltry" and diamond together, ok?). The history behind the ring and your parents makes it that much more YOURS.

I read your MIssy's Trek Home story and I have to say THANK GOD for the kindness of strangers. I'm so glad you made it home without getting hurt, I was getting nervous while I read it :twirl: (Its really strange, I can go up stairs reasonably well but going DOWN them still sucks to this day and I try to avoid the DOWNERS, haha). All the things I've read about city living, these extreme events that take down the infrastructure, that is when you find out what you and everyone else is made of. Kudos for keeping your head under extremely trying circumstances. I love that little boy who wanted to bring you home for good dinner company :bigsmile:

Did you have a quick snort of one of Greg's good scotch whiskey's? Every now and then when Bob and I lived outside of Anchorage, we would have a scary drive home from work through a blizzard in the pitch black dark and when we made it home we'd each have a shot of Glenfiddich. Steady the nerves, medicinal, you know!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, Bea really is stunning as a solitaire - when I decided on a halo, I was 100% certain with absolutely no second thoughts that that's what I wanted, so I would say to reset only if you feel that way too. I can see why you are tempted by by Casie's setting, it is beautiful and I do lean towards settings with a bit of detail and a little extra sparkle - but Bea does look perfect as is and I do love the fact the setting is antique. And it looks very elegant perched on your finger! I enjoyed looking at pics of Bea and your wedding pics, such a beautiful bride (and Greg is really cute! :cheeky: ) So sorry about the frustration at work, I have found that usually it's not the actual job that's the issue but the people you have to deal with while doing that job. :sick:

Yikes, just read about your adventure and omg you must have been so happy to finally make it home! I'm so glad you made it home safely. That snowstorm ended up hitting us hard. I, probably very foolishly, decided to drive to my mother's yesterday. In hindsight I shouldn't have lol. But I just went really slowly and it worked out ok. Took me a long time to get there though!

It is so wonderful that your parents have had such a long and happy marriage! They sound adorable. It is so great that you have been able to witness that and be a part of it. I had the opposite experience with my parents, and there's nothing that can be done about it but sometimes I wish I could have experienced something different. But I guess we can all say that about something in our lives!

Jimmianne, sorry this diamond turned out to not be the "one", but this is an important decision so it is totally understandable not to rush into anything and explore all your options. And we can live vicariously through you as you search :sun: Love the bunny pics! :love: So cute.

Just saw the new stone, looks beautiful! Fingers crossed you love it in person!

Calliecake, thank you for the nice words about my setting - And I would absolutely not have a problem with you having the same setting made! I'd be very flattered lol. But, honestly, my feeling is that with a more modern looking stone like a Daussi, I really feel a more contemporary setting suits it the best so I really think your diamond is in the best possible setting for it, IMHO anyway! (I'm assuming your setting is along the lines of the Harry Winston halo, right?) I just know your ring is absolutely gorgeous Callie, I wish I could see a pic! But I understand your hub's concern, there are other PS members who feel the same as he does. You've mentioned not liking your ring as much after you found PS, and I really hope you try to fight that feeling lol! This being a diamond forum, quite a few PS members are perfectionists and have very narrow parameters on what they prefer and what they find acceptable…and of course there is nothing wrong with that! I can see the appeal of a super ideal diamonds and I can appreciate them . I guess perfection just isn't as important to me, although I would obviously not advocate buying a poor quality item. My OEC is not "perfect", my setting isn't high end, and I know there are some on PS who would not have chosen either of them but they are perfect for me and I'm happy with my ring. I've decided I'm not going to let an online forum make me feel badly about what I have. I feel that there is plenty of room on PS for all different tastes and preferences. I just re-read what I wrote, and I sound like I'm lecturing, but I am truly not and apologize if it sounds like I am! I just feel badly that PS has changed your feelings towards a ring that you have previously loved. I know if you were to post a pic of your ring you would get tons of compliments!

Marcy, your summer vacation sound like fun! Hopefully they will opt for the house with the elevator :pray: I'm glad your SIL is including you in the party planning, sounds like she might need a little help! :cheeky: Glad to hear Marty will be home soon, Guatemala does sound like a beautiful place. I know marquise shaped stones aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I have always liked them, I think they are flattering on the hand. I keep thinking about it! The ring is listed on loupe troop but Niel didn't list it on the pre-loved section. I'm back to the debate of sinking a lot of money into one piece verses purchasing several less expensive items.

Kristie, hope your stone makes it to its destination soon! I know everything will be fine, but it's always a relief when an expensive item makes to where it's supposed to be. I'm so excited about this project. There was a possibility the San Antonio trip was going to be cancelled because of another business obligation, but everything is back on. I think my husband was surprised I was so disappointed about the trip possibly falling through, I usually don't want to go anywhere or do anything lol.

Ovi, have a wonderful time this weekend! I'm so glad you decided to go, sounds like fun and it will be good for you to get away for a bit I think. Sounds like you have some busy days ahead, please take care and I hope work doesn't stress you out too much.

Omg, Zoe the cat is driving me crazy. She keeps trying to sit on my laptop haha; she keeps wanting me to wave one of her toys around around so she can chase it. I'm going to hit submit so she doesn't delete my post.

Hope everyone is having a good day! will check in later!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday, NIRDIs!

Spessartite garnet made it on time to Wink this morning :appl: :appl: :appl:

3 weeks!!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1425691664|3843128 said:
Happy Friday, NIRDIs!

Spessartite garnet made it on time to Wink this morning :appl: :appl: :appl:

3 weeks!!!
Happy Friday, Azstonie!
The countdown begins!
This goes on the chart/calendar.
The weeks will fly by :confused: :confused: :confused:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: PonieGirl!!!! (jimmieanne) and Junebug!

Sooooooo. I was looking at the prongs on the setting. I hate clubby or stumpy- looking prongs. These are double and while not clubby they aren't down to needle-y tips either.

I could call Melissa and inquire about having the prongs filed/ polished. I dont want too add any more cost to the project BUT I want to love this ring.

What do you think?

I'll find a link to the setting so you guys can look at the prongs.

I think there shouldn't be an additional charge because this is a custom setting and the prongs have to be polished anyway; I'm not sure if the prongs will require filing anyway as well, I'm thinking they would...

I guess the setting is semi custom---the shank and head are assembled by Wink's bench and the stone is set. The ring is cleaned, polished --->FINIS!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad the stone arrived safely Kristie!
woohoo.gif

I'm thinking you should call about the prongs - this is a special project and you should love everything about it. It's worth asking about.

Ok, now the waiting begins!
1142023wc11ro40lj.gif

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Junebug!!!

http://winkcz.com/

The setting is the third ring in the crawl at the top of the page, its caption is: Revolutionized. its a rose quartz stone.

The prongs are blunt tipped. I like v-shaped prongs (is that the correct term?).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Missy, I hope you had a good day today! Yesterday sure sounded like an adventure and not in a good way LOL! How sweet that the little boy wanted to bring you home with him. I'm sure I told you this before but you were such a beautiful bride. You and Greg look so in love and haopy. I was very surprised to hear didn't want to get married before meeting Greg. I would have expected the exact opposite hearing about your your parents marriage. How nice to gave grown up having that be your example of marriage. I wish everyone could grow up seeing an example like your parents marriage. My parents marriage was the exact opposite. My mom and stepfather have a marriage like your parents. They have been married 35 years. I really wanted to be married but was kind of terrified of it as well.

Kristie, Now the countdown begins! Wink will do a great job so at least you have no worries there! Are you nervous? Do you and Bob have any fun plans for the weekend? I don't think we are doing much. I found out tonight that he has a big project for work he has to work on this weekend. I'm just glad he can do everything from home. One of my friends husband is out of town this weekend so we will probably go out tomorrow or Sunday afternoon. I'm sure we will be at a mall at some point.

Junebug, Thank goodness you made it safely to and from your moms. The New York, New Jersey areas looked terrible yesterday on the news reports. I think we may finally be getting a break, It is supposed to get up to 50 degrees here in Chicago next week. Hopefully it will be headed your way too! I'm glad your trip didn't get cancelled. Like you, I generally don't like to travel much. I have no idea why because I have such a great time when I do. I have forced myself to do so the past few years and am so glad I did. I would have missed out on a lot of fun had I not gone on the trips. My husband laughs because I am so stressed the day before we leave. I also don't like leaving the dog behind. One trip I went on with a couple girlfriends was great because I could relax knowing he was home watching her.

Jimmianne, I wish I was more patient like you are. I hope you rub off on me. You will defintely find the right diamond for you and how fun that we all get to go along on your journey. Is the new diamond one of Grace's? It looks beautiful. When are you expecting it to arrive? I remember the movie you were referring to well! It was so romantic.

Marcy, I hope you had a wonderful day today. How has your problem employee been behaving lately? Is everyone paying nice in the sandbox? I so don't evvy you. I hated it when I had to manage people. Do you and Marty have any plans for the weekend? What are you cooking this weekend?

OV, Dont even try to keep up with the posts the next few days. Just drop in here when you can. I hope this turns out to be a great weekend for you. You deserve to have a fun stress free weekend! I can't wait to hear what you end up doing.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, that is a beautiful setting! I think they should be able to make them a bit more pointed - I think they're usually referred to as claw prongs. So, you'd want double claw prongs.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs.

Kristie, Missy’s opal ring is amazing too. It has so many wonderful colors in it. That is kind of strange FedEx has a weather delay when neither place has bad weather. I would agree it might be because some planes are grounded back east.

Black opals are stunning gemstones. They are so vibrant and full of fire they just glow. I am glad you and Bob always made it home on those dark nights and driving through a blizzard. What a difference in weather where you live now. Marty and I got stranded in a blizzard coming back from Denver. We luckily got a room at a hotel we were able to “find” with GPS. I don’t care to ever do that again. I am glad your spessartite made it to Wink okay. I am so excited for you. I would definitely call about the prongs and let them know how you want them to look. Usually pictures of prongs look more prominent than they do IRL.

Callie, your story about the VP who was mad that he wasn’t told a headlight was going to burn out on his car really made me laugh. I can’t say I’m surprised though. Oh I’m cringing all right about 2 weeks in one house with Marty’s family. The sisters fight with each other and sometimes with their mom. My in-laws get moody and bicker at each other. Marty and his brother get along well. The assorted nieces and nephews are unique and all over the place. I am anxious to be on the beach for 2 weeks but that’s about it. I am sure it will be fine. I was the mediator for decades with my family I so I have practice at deflecting tense situations. I hope your appointment went well today. I am just like you on taking trips and stressing about going. I always enjoy myself when I get there. It’s about time you are going to have nice weather there. I am ready for this winter to be over with too. That will be nice to catch up with an old friend of your husband’s this week. We don’t have any special plans this weekend yet. It’s going to be nice so maybe we’ll do a road trip and spend money foolishly. We are both skilled at that. My problem employee has been acting police and respectful. It’s nice to see.

Ovi, I am hoping you have a fabulous and relaxing weekend.

Missy, thank you for worrying with me about Marty. When we were first married Marty traveled for the state (prior to cell phone days) and he’d call me collect when he got to where he was going to spend the night. I would always let his grandmother know he made it there safely. So one night he never called me and his grandma keeps calling me and asking if I’ve heard from him yet and starts saying things like I hope he didn’t get in a car accident, I hope he’s not in a ditch somewhere, I hope he didn’t pick up a hitchhiker who killed him, did you call the hospitals, did you call the police? By the time she was done with me I was in hysterics. My mom finally called the police in the town where he was headed and they wanted to talk to me and she told him “I could hardly understand her so I doubt you’ll be able to get what she says”. About then Marty called me. He’d got to town at 4, ordered a pizza and fell asleep. I had to call the policeman and say sorry, he’s fine. Thanks grandma! I guess I’ve always been a worrier too.

Agreed we did get the best of both worlds with Greg and Marty. Thanks for the offer of using your beach house. It looks fabulous there.

I hope the 2-week family vacation isn’t full of tension but I’ll go and have fun. How could I not with the ocean out the front door?

I did look through all of your pictures and thread. You were a lovely bride and your wedding pictures are wonderful. I think it’s wonderful Bea symbolizes two very significant loves of your life. I loved reading your stories and seeing your pictures. I used estate money for my ACA and decided my diamond symbolized my parents who were a light in my life and I can enjoy the sparkles from diamond knowing it came from them.

I hated to read what a difficult and challenging time you had to get home. I am so glad you were able to get a ride on the bus and glad you made it home walking 8 blocks on icy sidewalks. Aak!!! Hurry up spring! How cool so many people were nice and concerned about you. Too cute about the little boy wanting to feed you dinner.

Thank you for posting pictures of your opal again. I know you posted it before but I love to see it. It is such a fabulous gem and gorgeous ring. What a lovely story behind the ring too.

Jimmianne, thank you. I am glad Marty is home too. Your daughter is having fun in New Orleans. The older cut diamond looks like a real fireball. It looks absolutely amazing. What carat weight is it?

Junebug, I am sorry to hear the snowstorm hit you hard and you had to drive to your mom’s in that kind of weather. I am glad you made it okay but I am sure it was a long, long drive. My in-laws are putting a deposit on the beach house with the elevator. I’ll be checking in with the owners before we head that way for sure. None of Marty’s family are planners so hopefully my SIL will let me help her. I agree marquis look very nice and flattering on your finger. The lady who owns (manages) a local Hallmark has maybe a 3-carat marquis diamond; it is really gorgeous. Marty said Guatemala was a beautiful place. I bet you are getting excited for your trip.

Marty forgot he had a poker game tonight. I think there are about 6 of them playing tonight. He spilled a big cup of ice water all over the living floor. He pushed the couch back and rolled up the rug. He got the water off the floor but I put a towel under the rug so it’s does get moisture on the wood. I am watching the rolled up rug; I’ll probably forgot and trip over it. Aak.

Have a great weekend.
Marcy

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1425699167|3843188 said:
Kristie, that is a beautiful setting! I think they should be able to make them a bit more pointed - I think they're usually referred to as claw prongs. So, you'd want double claw prongs.

Junebug, love the clockwatcher emoji, snork!

Double claw prongs is what I asked for and is on the invoice. Im thinking I best call and make sure we're all of the same mind on the prongs.

I'll call Monday, I appreciate the encouragement.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1425697930|3843176 said:
thanks Junebug!!!

The setting is the third ring in the crawl at the top of the page, its caption is: Revolutionized. its a rose quartz stone.

The prongs are blunt tipped. I like v-shaped prongs (is that the correct term?).

cheers from Ponie girl :lol:
The one with the twist shank? I love that setting.

My daughter is home safely from her trip and her beloved housemate is returning to France today. He
can come back in a year and I think we are going to visit him this summer. I love my daughter's friends almost like my own children : )

Diamond #1 has been sent back to Grace and diamond #2 will probably get here mid-next-week. It's around 8.5 mms.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls and happy Daylight Savings Time weekend!!! Yay for more daylight later in the day WOOHOO!

Callie, how did your appointment go yesterday? I hope it went smoothly and that you had a good day...thinking of you and sending lots of hugs and good thoughts your way!

We are expecting warmer temps next week as well. Maybe even 50 degrees by Wednesday but I am trying not to get my hopes up. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

I wish you could post pics of your rings here but I completely understand your hesitation and the reasons behind it so I will just patiently wait till we all get together in October. I know it is beautiful. And I am 100% in agreement with Junebug. I actually am not in love with perfect stones and prefer diamonds with quirky/wonky personalities if you can call it that. So don't judge your diamond(s) by some of the PS perfectionist standards.

Beauty comes in a lot of forms and parameters and comes down to personal aesthetics. My OEC isn't cut to ideal light standards. Not even close. But it still is beautiful to me. I know many of the AVR/AVC owners out there probably think I have an inferior stone to their perfectly cut one but it's all about what makes you swoon and Bea does it for me while those perfect stones don't. I will say this here only (and it is only my opinion and I do find the AVRs/AVCs beautiful too don't get me wrong) but it's like the Stepford wives (perfect in appearance but somehow soulless) of stones LOL. I'll take my independent quirky OEC and leave "perfection" (in a new "old" cut) to those who appreciate it way more than I do. BUT I want to make it clear I appreciate all the beautiful diamonds posted on PS and am just sharing why I chose an OEC over a more perfect diamond. And that's what makes the world go round. Different opinions and different viewpoints and I respect them all but in the end you choose what you love and want and find beautiful.

Thank you for all your lovely compliments about my ring, dress etc. You really are too kind but I know you mean it from the heart and thank you. I mean it from the heart when I say I think you are one of the nicest, kindest, most lovely and genuine person I know dear Callie. Hugs to you and please let me know how yesterday went at the doctor's OK.

Junebug, How is your mom doing?
OMG I cannot believe you drove to your mom's on Thursday! Thank goodness you made it there safely and I know you are a good and cautious driver but I worry about all the other drivers out there who might not be as skilled driving in the inclement weather. All I can say is Whew, glad you made it there and back and hopefully that is the last of the bad winter weather we will have for the year.

Thank you for all your compliments too. I feel embarrassed :oops: sometimes at how sweet and generous you all are. I post pics here because I enjoy sharing them but I hope it doesn't seem like am showing off in any way. Like other PSers I love seeing pics of everyone's pretties and I enjoy sharing eye candy too. Especially here in the NIRDI thread because it feels safe if you kwim. I know others might be checking in from time to time but for the most part it feels like it is mainly just us here.

Anyway just saying I hope you guys don't think I am bragging in any way when I post pics. Email me privately guys if anyone thinks it looks that way PLEASE! Because that is not who I am and want to make sure it isn't perceived that way!!! I have some new awesome backyard snow/ice pics to post but hesitant to post them as it feels I am monopolizing the thread with my pics. Don't sugar coat it for me and if anyone is uncomfortable with telling me the truth (you shouldn't be as I am asking for honest thoughts always) please email me privately then. But either way please tell me OK? (((Hugs))).

I am so glad your trip is still on Junebug. You need a break and a change of scenery especially after this winter and especially with you taking on the majority of your mother's care and doing such an amazing job! Now when you are on vacation I hope you are taking your computer because we will miss you too much if you are gone for a long period of time you know...no pressure of course... JK! I mean not kidding about missing you but kidding about taking off from PS. You deserve a respite from us too...but we will miss you so much.

Kristie, WOOHOO!!! (Junebug I LOVE your woohoo emotie!) So glad your spessarite made it to Wink and Melissa safely!!! And I agree with the other NIRDIs. Call them Monday (sure they don't work today though?) and make it clear about what type of prongs you want. I like double claw prongs too as long as it is not too pointy if that makes sense. When done right they are very delicate and elegant and don't take away from the beauty of the stone. I am very happy your stone made it there safely and know that the 3 weeks might seem a long time as you are living it day to day but believe me it will fly by when you look back on it. And just maybe Wink will finish it before 3 weeks. I have a feeling...

Thank you for all your compliments too. I am with you re black opals. For me no other opal really does it for me like black opals with their awesome colors and fire and just their liveliness. My dad is so cute. Whenever he describes any type of stone he always says it has to be full of life and well cut and he used to go on and on about how to pick a good stone. He was in love with this black opal and that was why he insisted on getting it for my mom despite her protests due to the cost. (In 1972 that was a lot of moola for that stone). If he was born later at a different time who knows. Perhaps he would be a PSer LOL. Though my dad has no clue how to even use a computer. But if he had been born in a different time I bet he would have enjoyed PS.

Yanno, I didn't even think to have a strong drink when I got home Thursday night. I just went right for the sweet kitties and kissed and hugged them and called Greg to let him know I was home safely. Hmm that was a great idea Kristie. You always have such great ideas! I hope some of them rub off on me eventually LOL.

Marcy, reading your story about when you and Marty were first married and he was traveling for the state and that night he forgot to call. OMG I would have been a complete wreck too. So scary. And his poor grandmother. Thank goodness it turned out to be nothing to worry about but still a harrowing experience.

What did we do before mobile phones I wonder. I cannot even remember how we got by without them! And this is from someone who refused to get one until Greg just came home one day in 2002 and said this is yours now and too bad. LOL. I resisted at first but well, once I started appreciating all its benefits I caved. Now I don't know if I could get by without it. Though I have to say my favorite technology is still the internet and being able to communicate with so many amazing people (NIRDIs!!!!).

I hope you were OK and didn't trip at all over the rolled up rug. Remember, most accidents happen in the home so please be careful! Did Marty end up playing poker last night or did he remember too late? If he played I hope he won a lot of money. :appl:

I am glad your problem employee is behaving himself. Let's hope that continues. Haha on both spending money foolishly. Even more reason to hope Marty won at playing poker if he played. Enjoy whatever you end up doing this weekend! And I'm with you. YAY for almost spring!!!
And also thank you for all your wonderful compliments!

Ovi, hope you are having a fantastic weekend and salsaing it up!

Jimmianne, (or shall I say ponie girl LO)L ooh you might get this OEC from Grace within a few days. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts (and seeing some pics maybe?) when you get it and spend some time with it. My adrenaline is going again just thinking of this beauty. That pic and those colors. OMG beautiful. It goes to show what I say about old cuts. That the colors that emanate from them are amazing and the glow from within so gorgeous and their personality unique and quirky in the best possible way. IMO. I am sure you are anticipating receiving the 8.5 mm (NICE size!)OEC and are probably very excited! Isn't the hunt and anticipation (though nerve wracking at times) so much fun? :appl:

Yay for your daughter's safe arrival home! (Does this mean no more bunny sitting for a while?)... Though sad that her good friend and "adopted" family member is going back to France...I am sure you will both miss him and I think visiting him this summer is a great idea. Going to France doesn't suck LOL.

OK lovely NIRDIs have a great day and remember to turn your clocks ahead tonight! Hey Kristie and Jimmianne, see that, your waiting time is already less as we are losing an hour tonight... hahaha. That much closer to you both receiving your precious packages!!! :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,

You are so NOT bragging. You must know how much fun it is to see other PSer's jewels, photos & all other details fit to text :lol:
When I see your jewels I am just so happy for you.

Now I will tell you that I am not bragging either! I am just wondering how I got from looking at half carat diamonds [and feeling nervous about a purchase] a year ago to considering this OEC and not even thinking about the $$ - I just want the diamond!
I feel weird that I don't feel weird -haha- about spending so much on a stone. It just seems so logical. Maybe I've gone crazy. yep, that's it :dance:

A fine and happy Saturday to everyone and hoping the weather is good enough to get outside!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, It never, ever even entered my mind on any level that you're bragging! Never! In fact, I would be extremely disappointed if you stopped posting pics, it is so much fun to see them. I love looking at your pics, it brightens my day. I enjoy seeing snapshots of your life! This thread is a wonderful outlet for me and I love the interaction and sharing. The pics of the black opal ring are amazing, omg how beautiful (and it's a halo :D ), I just love it and it is such a wonderful family heirloom to have.

Jimmianne, I totally get what you mean! Kind of crazy how my outlook has changed since being on PS - But it's a fun kind of crazy! :big smile:

Kristie, I think it's a great idea to call on Monday, just to make sure everyone is on the same page - technically, I guess the prongs pictured could be referred to as claw, since they are elongated so best to call to verify that they will be pointy. This ring should be perfect for you in every way!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Jimmianne and Junebug!!! I agree and feel the same way about seeing pictures from PSers of their gorgeous bling and their pics of other things too. :appl:

Haha, I totally understand what you mean about going from thinking how can I justify/rationalize getting a smaller stone to not even blinking about wanting and getting a bigger one. It's a small leap from one to another IMO and all that is needed is a little (hehe) PS push. :Up_to_something: :cheeky:

So I am going to post 2 cool pics from yesterday from the security cameras at the beach. First one is at the front of the house and it is what I *think* is a hawk sighting. Cool right? If anyone knows for sure what kind of bird it is I would love to know. The red truck belongs to our handyman who is now repainting our living room. Really hope this blue is the right one for that space.

Second pic is of the backyard and how cool the snow/ice looks on the water. Pretty.

I am off sunglass shopping now. I lost (or it was stolen and I prefer to think I lost it) my favorite Maui Jim sunglasses last week. Turned the house upside down and I am sure it is gone. IDK how it could have disappeared and the last place I know for sure I had it was at work but I really don't want to think it was taken and much prefer thinking I just lost it. So off to find a replacement pair. I don't know the name of the pair I lost was though and did search the MJ website but I couldn't find this exact pair. It could be they don't make it anymore so hoping to find something similar. I really loved this pair and though I have 3 other Maui Jims these were my go tos. Posting a pic I just found of them (I took this when I got my diamond hoops and just happened to have the sunglasses on...wasn't taking a pic of the sunglasses lol). So sad. They were super comfortable.

Enjoy the day NIRDIs! :wavey:

hawksightingatbeach.jpg

frozenbackyardsea.jpg

mauijims.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1425726276|3843270 said:
azstonie|1425697930|3843176 said:
thanks Junebug!!!

cheers from Ponie girl :lol:
The one with the twist shank? I love that setting.

My daughter is home safely from her trip and her beloved housemate is returning to France today. He
can come back in a year and I think we are going to visit him this summer. I love my daughter's friends almost like my own children : )

Diamond #1 has been sent back to Grace and diamond #2 will probably get here mid-next-week. It's around 8.5 mms.

PonieGirl, that is indeed the setting. I really debated about using say two of Wink's step cut shield CZs as side stones to the garnet on a plain shank but there is something about the twist (rope) shank setting that I loved. I hope what I loved is not that RIchard Homer rose quartz, bwahahahaha, because if that's the case I'm gonna be disaPOINTed soon. (Do you remember Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda" and how his character would proclaim: DisaPOINTed!)

I'm looking forward to seeing your next candidate. 8.5 mm is a good size for your fingers, isn't it? LIke a 10-mm on mine, heehee.

I like that you love your daughter's friends. Loving moms of friends of mine helped me get through life with the parents that were assigned to me. When I was teaching I had a special place in my heart for the moms and dads of students who did wonderful things/gave attention to all the kids in the class. I guarantee you that in a class of 24 kids, at least half of them come from difficult and stressful homes and being at school or somewhere else after school, its a lifesaver to those kids. I used to keep the bandroom open after school for just this reason.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great action wildlife shot of the hawk!!! Its looking hard for a meal :) Here in AZ by my house we have Coopershawks, they are gorgeous. That is a terrific security camera you and Greg installed.

I like your Maui Jim sunglasses. They are the 'correct' kind aren't they, being that they protect your eyes from the sides of your face as well as full on. I just bought some cool Ray Bans at Nordie's and the only thing 'wrong' with them is they have no side protection, just regular slim temples on them. I swim twice a day here 6-7 months of the year so eye protection is really important. Lot of sun reflecting off the pool water. I try to swim before 7 am and then again after 5:30 PM to save myself from the sun's damaging effects. I usually buy designer frames at Nordie's or at my optical shop, and then I have the optician put the prescription lenses in. This kind of ticks me off because the only 'thing' in these pricey sunglasses that really costs any money at all are the lenses and of course for me the lenses are removed and replaced with prescription lenses. I'm just not into contacts anymore.

Missy, should I be getting polarized lenses? What else for maximal sun protection for the eyes?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, regarding pics.

PS is a safe place for us to post bling pics without us having to concern ourselves with inspiring mean spirited crap from our 'friends' and coworkers and family members!!!

Pics make this place interesting, funny, thought provoking, and just a great place to come for some eye candy when we need inspiration OR a little escapism.

I love Missy's pics, PonieGirls pics, Marcy's pics, Ovi's pics and I look forward to them every day. Callie, I understand why you're not posting pics, no worries, the rest of us will post even MORE pics here hahahaha. When we have our GTG, though, Callie, we wanna see pics from you! Just be advised, girlfriend!!! :lol:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, NIRDIs! Thanks Missy and azstonie for inviting me to the thread. I have been catching up in bits and pieces over the last few weeks or so. I am reluctant to post much personal information on a public site, but I love the community you ladies have built here. :)

Missy, I ADORE your Bea ring. As I've told you before, it was my inspiration ring! I had your pictures of it on my desktop and really wanted one just like it! My husband wanted me to get a modern cut one, so we compromised on my early round brilliant. Though mine does well on the HCA, it wouldn't live up to PS standards because of its low crown angle. When we decided to buy it, we also saw a gorgeous OEC that was a little higher in weight (.15 higher) and clarity (one grade), and considerably lower in diameter (and one color lower). It was $20,000 more expensive, and I'm sure that entered into why my husband said he liked the one we got instead, haha! I remember that the OEC positively glowed, and I wonder if I might have loved that one more than mine. But we're not thinking of trading it in, and that one sold long ago. But YOUR RING...it's SO PERFECT! I hope you don't reset it, but I totally understand thinking about it. I have been thinking of a Singlestone reset. But I don't know if it'll happen.

About skin stuff...I have very sensitive skin, too, and sometimes I can't stand to look in the mirror because allergy spots are making me look pubescent. Sigh. I used to have chronic hives, and I got rid of them by going on a yeast-free diet, followed by Zyrtec for a while.

Jimmianne, did you decide not to keep the OEC ring you tried? I thought it was so lovely.

Ovi, I have read a bunch of your posts, and I am a cat lady, too! My heart goes out to you for the personal stuff you've had going on.

All: I am in the northeastern US, and I am so tired of winter!!!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Hi Tourmaline!

That OEC I sent back was extremely pretty, but I learned from it that I wanted something chunkier, older. It's a beauty that someone is going to be Verrry happy with : )

Just recently visited your recut thread, oggled your big beautiful diamond :love: and enjoyed your telling of the recut experience!

Do you need a chart to figure out what's going on with this thread?! I had to make one and still can't keep it all straight : )
But I think it's mostly about kitties and bunnies, snow, ice cream and Netflix.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results