shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Teckie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

As a absolute novice to buying diamonds, I''ve got many a questions to ask before plunging into the deep.

I am in the midst of getting a nice diamond ring for my gf as a proposal and was considering options such as getting from the high street stores as opposed to the internet. Was walking around one day and saw a G colour 0.57 carat, S1, round going for SGP4000 which is about US2300. It seems like the internet is a much better place to shop but I''m apprehensive aout the hassle that I might have to go through such as customs clearance, GST and all that. (not being sure about the procedures at all)

Does anyone have any good people to recommend in Singapore with prices that are comparable to internet prices and quality? Is Diamond Industries Ltd a good place to start looking? And is importing a diamond from internet vendors much of a hassle?

Amongst all the internet vendors, whiteflash seems to appeal to me the most, are there any good testimonials abt them?

Thanks in advance

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Teckie and Welcome to the Price Scope Forum!
wavey.gif

I remembered a discussion about shopping in Asia. Wasn't sure if it was Hong Kong or Singapore. I found a thread you will find interesting and hopefully helpful.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-and-jewelry-in-singapore-where-who-and-what.6110/

Edit,copy/Edit/paste. I have really got to learn how to make links.
confused.gif

I bought my diamond from White Flash. They are great people to deal with. They have good return/refund/upgrade policies also. Lesley Harris told me that White Flash does business in the Asian markets. Hopefully they can answer your questions regarding shipping, import, and duties if you consider purchasing from them.
1.gif

juliapk1977

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I believed that you can get an E or F color with SGD4000+ and below. It all also depends on the cut and sizes. Let me recommend you to my regular jeweller's shop in Singapore who can offer something near to your budget and yet give you better quality diamond. I wouldn't recommend Diamond Industries or other chain retail shops as they marked up abt 200 ~ 300% of the price, reason being that they have to cover their high overhead cost like manpower, rental etc. However, this jeweller does not have high rental cost nor high overheads. So why pay for the unnecessary cost if you can save on it or perhaps go for something better with the same price? I've been con several times previously by the other jewellers and paid for diamonds not worth the price until I get to know this honest jeweller. Since then, I only frequent her shop and even have most of my jewellery custom made and design by her.

The shop name is Luv Story Jewellery located at Lucky Chinatown in the Chinatown area which is near to the Chinatown MRT. The address is at New Bridge Road, #01-01. Tel:65-63330038. It used to be located at the Registry of Marriages at Fort Canning before shifting to Chinatown 3 years ago.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
hi and welcome to PS, I am from Singapore too and have been lurking/ hanging around here since Oct this year. It's good to read the 2nd reply posted by pqcollectibles and view the thread that he/she is talking about started by mercier. I believe that Larry's is having a sale now and it'll be good for u to stop by there to have a look at actual diamonds and sizes. Personally, the reason i came online was due to a big dissatisfaction with the diamonds and jewelry shops in singapore, and this is why i will never want to purchase from them again unless its for small casual items.

if u dont trust or want the hassle of purchasing online, i seriously urge u to purchase an idealscope and go to the shops armed with it to see the 'quality' u will be getting from the shops we have in singapore. ESPECIALLY, leehwa, goldheart, poh heng and sookee. do not buy into the destinee, aurias and brilliant rose hoo-haa that is being aggresively pushed on tv adverts every single day for the past month. i believe that there are sales going on in most of the diamond/ jewelry shops now and the prices are very attractive but why pay that amount for something that is of inferior quality, again please at least get an idealscope
6.gif

as for extra costs when purchasing online, to singapore, so far i understand we only have to pay the shipping fee from the online vendor (US$100 or so) and the gst, on our side, when it reaches singapore.

good luck, pm me if u have any further queries and please dont trust the 1-post user juliapk1977
5.gif

Teckie

Rough_Rock
Thanks tomatoe for the advice. I have been searching the internet in my free time and I did manage to come across some really decent diamonds for about US$1000-1500 with the same specs as that given to me by the chain jeweller. However, how do I set the diamond once I get it imported into Singapore?

Have you seen the papers, Diamond Industries are having some big sale todae... Not sure whether it is any good though.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
i believe that any diamond u find online from the pricesope vendors will be 101% better than a diamond that u can find in singapore from the usual jewelry shops (even tiffany's). from the thread by mercier, only buy the GIA/ AGS certified diamonds from diamond industries, do not buy their other diamonds cos i am sure they r of inferior quality (i have 1 small diamond ring by them from a long time ago). diamond industries ALWAYS advertises in the straits times with their sales offer.

please do at least consider getting an ideal scope as i have mentioned earlier if u r serious about buying from singapore. the fact that u are already on this forum and posting means that u also find something 'wrong' with the diamonds available to us so its pointless if u dont at least prepare urself before going shopping for this important purchase
9.gif

to save the hassle, the online vendor that u purchase from can actually set the diamond from u. if u want to set the diamond in singapore, u must have some reputable and trusted jeweler that u regularly go to?

if u r really considering purchasing online, just get the diamond and setting from the same vendor and have them set it for u. u can also consider sending it to an independent appraiser and checking if they'd set the diamond for u after appraisal.

good luck and ask away on anymore questions
5.gif

tjwm207

Rough_Rock
hi everyone!
1.gif

i'm also from singapore and am in the midst of looking for a diamond for proposal.

been to many shops and i must say that it is difficult to make a decision.

so i've placed an order for the idealscope so as to arm myself the next time i go diamond hunting.

btw, where do you guys normally go to do your setting? is there a place in singapore where they do good settings with varied designs?

thnx in advance everyone!

cheers and merry xmas!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
welcome to pricescope, tjwm207.

there was an american guy, cowboystu, who was an expat in singapore for a few months and he had a ring made in Singapore by Yuen Tung, Blk 1093 Lower Delta Road #07-09 Tel: 62702278 MR Whye Hoe. if u do a search on the user, cowboystu, i think u will be able to see his ring setting and the same address that i have posted above. good luck and happy hunting
1.gif

Teckie

Rough_Rock
Hi Tomatoe,

A very merry Christmas to you.

About the diamond ring, I have thought about having to vendor set the ring for me, however, the problem is with the ring size, I might not be completely sure about my girlfriend's ring size, so resetting might become a hassle later on when I need a exact fit. Do you have a solution to that?

Another thing I would like to ask is whether you have yourself bought a diamond from a internet vendor and which one it is. I did think of getting the idealscope but am not sure whether I would know how to use it anyway... lol... all the light reflecting thingy...

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
merry xmas teckie
1.gif

sorry but i have not as yet purchased from any of the several internet vendors. some of the vendors that are often commended and recommended by other users are Whiteflash, DirtCheapDiamonds/ DCD, NiceIce, Diamond Brokers of Florida/ DBOF.

heehee, i wanted to buy myself an ideal scope too but was hesitant cos of the bad exhange rate now for us and US$. maybe u can pm the user (i think it is cut nut??) who sells the idealscope to our region or ask on this forum for usage tips?

i dont have an exact solution cos i am not a guy who has had to buy a ring for a girl....
wacko.gif
is there any way that u can take her shopping for a ring at someplace like perlini's instead, just to have a chance to find out her ring size? or else, if she wears any rings on her left hand ring finger, grab them when u can and measure them with a string or paper. another way is to wrap a string round her finger when she is sleeping.

there r some other ideas posted by other people on this forum, maybe u shd do a search on it urself which will be easier cos i am sure other guys who wanna surprise their gf's often have this problem too
21.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestion, Tomatoe! CowboyStu's ring is gorgeous!

You can have your gal try on rings and get her size that way. If she has any that you might sneak out and borrow for a while, you can take it to a jeweler to have checked on a ring sizer. Just another thought.

Garry Holloway sells the Ideal Scope. I just checked the IS order page. As stated on the Order page, "Residents of Malaysia and Australia will be billed by Precious Metals in the equivalent Australian dollar amount." You might email/PM CutNut for the exact charges.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
All the shipping costs and speed options are on the order page
1.gif

Had a few to ship to Singapore lately, infact I am the packer and shipper as everyone else is on vacation right now
1.gif

MW yours is being packed right now!
You should have ordered the calibration CZ too
sad.gif

tjwm207

Rough_Rock
hi tomatoe
1.gif

thxn for the suggestion! i'll definitely check whye hoe out. went over to cowboystu's thread and i must say that his ring is really beautiful! good value for the money considering that one has to pay on the average of about S$500/- for a platinum setting.

hi cutnut
1.gif
thnx for packing the IS for me. looking forward to using it. as for the calibration cv, i was looking at the tutorials and it did not mention the use of the calibration cv with the IS, as such, i did not place an order for it. sorri about it
1.gif

cheers everyone!
1.gif

resilient

Rough_Rock
Hi,
What is the difference between a normal round diamond and a H&A diamond if they are both GIA/AGS certed and have almost the same clarity, color, ideal cut, depth %, table %, girdle, excellent/ideal symmetry and polish, and flourescence? If both diamonds have almost the same proportions and finish, does it mean that the normal diamond will also show H&A? For about the same amount of money, it seems like one is able to get a normal round diamond that is about 0.1 to 0.2 carats more than a H&A diamond. Can anybody provide some advice? Thanks.
rolleyes.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/26/2004 7:31:09 AM resilient wrote:

Hi,
What is the difference between a normal round diamond and a H&amp----------------

If a round diamond (RBC cut) has the same cut parameters as a H&A it is a H&A - 'cause the respective measurements define a H&A.

You can have a diamond with great light return but without the hearts and arrows, but there are not too many of those, for both economic reasons (the H&A pattern is a relatively easy way to recognize stones with superior light return and has become a recognizable "brand name" with the respective premium attached) and technical (a small range of cutting parameters deliver great light but not the pattern). Garry (CutNut) is the expert in this matter, so a reading through the diamond tutorial on his website (preciousmetals.com.au) would teach you about as much as you migh ask for. There are plenty of old threads here discussiing this matter (to H&A or not to H&A), but it is all down to getting a good deal... as you have guessed.
2.gif

PS: most PS sellers sell H&As, but also have categories of well cut, non H&A diamonds well worth your consideration, esp. that establishing "true H&As" it quite a hair splitting exercise.
11.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/26/2004 7:31:09 AM resilient wrote:

Hi,
For about the same amount of money, it seems like one is able to get a normal round diamond that is about 0.1 to 0.2 carats more than a H&A diamond. Can anybody provide some advice? Thanks.
rolleyes.gif
----------------

hi resilient, welcome to ps.

u must be from singapore too and are referring to the the H&A marketing on-slaught of the 'brilliant rose' from sookee, 'destinee' from lee hwa, 'aurias' from tian po? if you take some time to read through the tutorial on this website and some of the old threads on H&A and what constitutes a real H&A, you will be glad to learn not to buy into the hype of those retail outlets. as for the pricing of H&A's, they are more expensive than regular RB even in sg or america.

gd luck
5.gif

resilient

Rough_Rock
Hi tomatoe,
Yes, I am from sg. It has been a mind boggling experience learning abt clarity, color, table, depth, polish, symmetry, etc. Still unsure whether to get an ideal cut (non-H&A) or a H&A (since it commands a slight premium). Have to read more abt this.
wavey.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
resilient,

once again, as i've been advising the other 2 sporean posters on this thread, get urself an Idealscope if u plan to make ur purchase in sg. cos in sg, unless u have done all ur background research, i wouldnt trust 99% of the salespeople that are currently working in the retail jewelry stores in sg.
5.gif

*joke : i shd get a free IS from cutnut for constantly promoting the IS to my fellow countrymen
naughty.gif

Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hi Resilient,

By the word of mouth, I have got to know this jeweler in Singapore by the name of Vern, I bought my engagement ring from him. He provides a totally unique service and the quality + price of his diamonds are fantastic! I'm going to have my customary wedding this Nov and I have engage him to design and customize my wedding set jewellery.

With regards to your queries over Ideal Cut and H&A, trust me , he would be one that you can count on. His company is call "Ideal Gems", you can call or sms him at 9764 1446.

PS: A very sincere guy, trustworthy
21.gif

resilient

Rough_Rock
Hi Consultant,
Thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out.

Regards.

Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hi Resilient,

Manage get your diamond? How's my recommendation?
naughty.gif

idealkim

Rough_Rock
Buy via Internet? Why not!!!

I just bought stones from Whiteflash and SuperbCert. Before I did that, I went to most of the shops for comparison. Taka, SK, Leewah, goldheart, etc.

At last, I found that to buy from US is the way to go.

The process is very easy..

1) Choose the stone that you want from the site
2) Send a email to request for more info...( I will encourage you to give a call to them, or leave down your number for them to return call to you. Bearing in mind there is a 13 hour time diff)
3) Request the put the stones that you wanted on hold, while you are still continue hunting . But,please do not put the item on hold for too long, just to be fair to them.
4) Confirm the stone via email. If you don't receive their confirmation within 24hours, give them a ring.
5) They will send you a confirmation email with Bank Wire information.
6) Take the Bank wire information to the bank or do it via Internet Banking(this was what I did with CitiBank). The bank charges for it is about S$50 for each transaction. The money will reach them on the same day.
7) Wait for another email for confirmation of WIRE and the shippment tracking #
8) Just, sit back and wait........
love.gif

9) 3 days later, you will receive a huge BOX
appl.gif

lickout.gif

All the above can happen within 5 working days.

Not ended yet.

11)
eek.gif
You will receive a TAX bill from Fedex for payment of GST -- 5% + S$10 charges

PS: Sometime they are very quick in responding to your email or request, but sometime is quite slow (particularly if your order is a very small one). But, they will definitely respond to you. My experience is -->> quickest 5mins, slowest 3 days.

Happy shopping.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 12:05:35 AM idealkim wrote:

Not ended yet.

11)
eek.gif
You will receive a TAX bill from Fedex for payment of GST -- 5% + S$10 charges

----------------

Was the diamond set?
I was not tax invoiced for an unset stone I received via fedex a couple of years ago. I wonder if the law has changed.

idealkim

Rough_Rock
Depending on your luck.

I was just not lucky, got taxed this round.
8.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
hello boom, idealkim & alky.

Its so good to hear that the diamond will arrive within 5 (working) days of payment. I cant wait to pay for mine and to receive it sometime next week.

As for the GST issue (on our side), do we have to declare it to the tax department or will a GST bill be sent to us via the shopping company?

Thanks
5.gif

idealkim

Rough_Rock
tomatoe

Not to be too worry about GST, it will be handled by Fedex.
If you don't receive any bill from Fedex, then
lickout.gif
. You just save some $$$$.

Even you have to pay for it. It is still cheaper than getting it in Singapore.

Good luck

layman

Rough_Rock
Think The GST law in Singapore says that all imported goods less than $400 is GST free. More than $400, 5% of goods plus shipping cost.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/trade/trde4_4.html

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Actually, resilient, I recommend that you trust your eyes instead. It is your best asset in determining which diamond is more beautiful. Will it be the eyes of your girlfriend or wife looking at the diamond, while proclaiming how beautiful it is? Or will she be staring intently at the diamond with an instrument instead?

The nature of diamond cutting is such that even 2 AGS000 stones will look slightly different if you look hard enough. It also does not mean that cutting everything with a cookie-cutter means that it is the best. Why do you think the various AGS000 brands in Singapore are tripping over one another to say their own brand of diamond looks better? And offering steep discounts, and tripping over each other to guarantee 100% trade-up value over 1- and 2- years?

When I have the privilege of talking to Gabi, I am reminded that every diamond is different. Every diamond is individual, each diamond is unique.

Numbers are useful as a guide, but frankly speaking, they are also a means to get you to spend more money. (I am being a little cynical here).

When we display Gabrielle diamonds in Singapore, we display them right next to "normal" 57-58 facet diamonds (in the same display box). When someone looks at both diamonds, it is immediately clear which is the more beautiful. I must say that I have never had to rely on specifications and numbers to convince anyone that the Gabrielle diamond looks better. All it takes is a look.

Recently, several people walked into our shop (all wearing branded diamonds). When they held the Gabrielle diamond and compared their own, their response was unanimous. The Gabrielle Diamond was more beautiful, to each pair of eyes among them. All this while, we did not resort to scopes, tools, loupes, microscopes, angles etc.

While Mr. Holloway might remark that the story of the Gabrielle may be more interesting than the diamond (as I have seen in a few posts), in the case above, we never even got to the "story" or "marketing jargon".

All it took was a look.

But don't take my word alone. Look and judge for yourself.

Contrary to tomatoe's assertion, there are actually more sales people in Singapore you can trust than just a measly 1%. I am not sure what is the baseline, against which the 99% was derived. (and yes, tomatoe, I am sure Garry will get the hint. But why just 1? Why not import it for sale in Singapore?
1.gif
)

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

----------------
On 1/26/2004 12:03:23 PM tomatoe wrote:

resilient,

once again, as i've been advising the other 2 sporean posters on this thread, get urself an Idealscope if u plan to make ur purchase in sg. cos in sg, unless u have done all ur background research, i wouldnt trust 99% of the salespeople that are currently working in the retail jewelry stores in sg.
5.gif

*joke : i shd get a free IS from cutnut for constantly promoting the IS to my fellow countrymen
naughty.gif
*----------------

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I believe tomatoe's view is far too simplistic and perhaps not a little biased.

While there are good online retailers, there may be just as many unscrupulous dealers. Same as in real-life B&M stores.

If you think about buying online, there are other variables to think about. A few are within your control. Many are not.

Just imagine the convenience of being able to bring your jewelry into a B&M store, and getting it re-sized, cleaned or altered, and even getting a nice cup of hot tea in the process. You can also see and touch a variety of diamonds and jewelry, and feel the heft of the ring that you may be considering.

Then imagine doing this with a faceless internet broker who *may* know nothing about goldsmithing or diamond setting, and worrying about *possible* theft, loss-in-transit, damage or even outright fraud and paying courier service rates with insurance, and waiting for several days for the round trip.

Any of the above possibilities when buying online will wreck your day. You are talking about stakes higher than US$100 here, and possibly a *very* upset girlfriend or wife.

If you are dealing with a local B&M store, and you are "conned", you could complain to CASE (a consumer association), take out a law suit, or just go and yell your lungs out. How do you do that to an unscrupulous online seller?

When considering buying diamonds online, consider the pros and the cons seriously. Don't be seduced merely by cheap prices. You can't buy a BMW with the amount you pay for a Lada or a Trabant. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

----------------
On 12/23/2003 10:59:53 AM tomatoe wrote:

[stuff deleted]
Personally, the reason i came online was due to a big dissatisfaction with the diamonds and jewelry shops in singapore, and this is why i will never want to purchase from them again unless its for small casual items.
[stuff deleted]
as for extra costs when purchasing online, to singapore, so far i understand we only have to pay the shipping fee from the online vendor (US$100 or so) and the gst, on our side, when it reaches singapore.

good luck, pm me if u have any further queries and please dont trust the 1-post user juliapk1977
5.gif
----------------

Consultant

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/29/2004 1:38:16 PM starfire wrote:

Hi,

I believe tomatoe's view is far too simplistic and perhaps not a little biased.

While there are good online retailers, there may be just as many unscrupulous dealers. Same as in real-life B&M stores. (Agreed)
If you think about buying online, there are other variables to think about. A few are within your control. Many are not. (Agreed)

Just imagine the convenience of being able to bring your jewelry into a B&M store, and getting it re-sized, cleaned or altered, and even getting a nice cup of hot tea in the process. You can also see and touch a variety of diamonds and jewelry, and feel the heft of the ring that you may be considering. (Very typical sales speech)

Then imagine doing this with a faceless internet broker who *may* know nothing about goldsmithing or diamond setting, and worrying about *possible* theft, loss-in-transit, damage or even outright fraud and paying courier service rates with insurance, and waiting for several days for the round trip.

Any of the above possibilities when buying online will wreck your day. You are talking about stakes higher than US$100 here, and possibly a *very* upset girlfriend or wife.

If you are dealing with a local B&M store, and you are 'conned', you could complain to CASE (a consumer association), take out a law suit, or just go and yell your lungs out. How do you do that to an unscrupulous online seller? (CASE can't enforce anything, can only mediate. Law suit costly and time consuming. Yell??? Singapore's B&M stores are use to it)

When considering buying diamonds online, consider the pros and the cons seriously. Don't be seduced merely by cheap prices. You can't buy a BMW with the amount you pay for a Lada or a Trabant. There is no such thing as a free lunch. (Totally agreed, you can't pay for a Lada or a Trabant and expect a BMW. By the way, where does the cost of hot tea, good post sale service, rental of B&M store, marketing cost and of course your salary goes to??? FREE LUNCH??? Yap, you are absolutely right, ain't no free lunch in the world. Everything has got to come from somewhere, obviously from the consumers pocket.)
1.gif

Just my two cents worth...

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results