shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice here - help or advise appreciated!

rookie34

Rough_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:) I am glad.

Compare these two cushions:

#1 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-313251 1 carat G VVS2 Polish: Ex Symmetry: Good. 69.2 depth and 63 table. Ratio of 1.01
#2 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-184265 1.01 G VVS2 Polish: Ex Symmetry: Very Good. Depth 69.8 and 63 table. Ratio of 1.01

#1 has very crisp facets and sharp contrast zones all throughout the stone. The facets all flash on and off. There is pretty pattern of facet arrangement. It's going to be very alive on the hand and sparkle and dance.

Now look at #2. See how all the facets are mushy under the table? How there is no flashing, no dancing and no contrast? All of that is lost light or leakage. This stone will be relatively dead on the hand. And will not sparkle and dance very much at all. And certainly not in comparison to the other one.

You want sharp clear facets that flash on and off. And a nice pattern of facets. You don't want mush.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me, or are others getting redirected to bizrate.com when clicking on some (but not all) of the JA links in here? This happens in IE and Chrome, but not in Firefox??? And it's only JA links that are affected, not other vendors. :confused:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick with gypsys ideas. Blue nile doesn't have images.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
drk14|1408036321|3732383 said:
Is it just me, or are others getting redirected to bizrate.com when clicking on some (but not all) of the JA links in here? This happens in IE and Chrome, but not in Firefox??? And it's only JA links that are affected, not other vendors. :confused:

I am.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rookie34|1408146714|3733288 said:
Would it make sense to sacrifice a little bit of size and color and/or clarity in exchange for a better cut, such as Blue Nile's new line of Signature Cushion Cut Hearts and Arrows??

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03805847?track=Detlink1

Actually the signature line cushions do have an image. It's on the G-Cal report and they have been ASETing out very well. I like them, and think they are lovely.

Go for the largest size (in dimensions not carat weight). I don't like the Blue Nile settings though. So you would want to get the setting elsewhere.

And yes, you can sacrifice color, even more than down to G. But especially at G VS you are still being very conservative.

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1407996246|3732090 said:
:) I am glad.

Compare these two cushions:

#1 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-313251 1 carat G VVS2 Polish: Ex Symmetry: Good. 69.2 depth and 63 table. Ratio of 1.01
#2 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-184265 1.01 G VVS2 Polish: Ex Symmetry: Very Good. Depth 69.8 and 63 table. Ratio of 1.01

#1 has very crisp facets and sharp contrast zones all throughout the stone. The facets all flash on and off. There is pretty pattern of facet arrangement. It's going to be very alive on the hand and sparkle and dance.

Now look at #2. See how all the facets are mushy under the table? How there is no flashing, no dancing and no contrast? All of that is lost light or leakage. This stone will be relatively dead on the hand. And will not sparkle and dance very much at all. And certainly not in comparison to the other one.

You want sharp clear facets that flash on and off. And a nice pattern of facets. You don't want mush.

Wow - what a great example..even with same depth and table! So one can not determine best performance by measurements, its the facets that bring the diamond to life. Before your example I would of never noticed and assumed the more expensive diamond with better clarity is the better choice. #1 as a vs2 sparkles more and cost less than #2 the vvs2. Wow..

rookie34

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1408148666|3733301 said:
Stick with gypsys ideas. Blue nile doesn't have images.

Gypsy's selections and ideas are no brainer top notch expert picks! Its just I am trying to learn and understand as much as I can since I have a little bit of time to decide - I don't expect to ever reach the same level of expertise regardless!

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1408151927|3733332 said:
rookie34|1408146714|3733288 said:
Would it make sense to sacrifice a little bit of size and color and/or clarity in exchange for a better cut, such as Blue Nile's new line of Signature Cushion Cut Hearts and Arrows??

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03805847?track=Detlink1

Actually the signature line cushions do have an image. It's on the G-Cal report and they have been ASETing out very well. I like them, and think they are lovely.

Go for the largest size (in dimensions not carat weight). I don't like the Blue Nile settings though. So you would want to get the setting elsewhere.

And yes, you can sacrifice color, even more than down to G. But especially at G VS you are still being very conservative.

Glad to hear these BN stones get your seal of approval Gypsy! From a financial standpoint, BN's 12 month no interest gives me a little more breathing room than JA's 6 month plan. Don't get me wrong - I'd hate to end up with a diamond of lesser quality for a better payment plan.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, that one line is top quality. ;)) You are good. Let me know if you need help with settings for it.

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Ok so after finding this Signature Ideal Cushion lineup from BN, I went on a "research binge" looking for all comparable performing cushion cuts. I came across GOG's Brellia (and AVC altho completely different, a high performer), BGD's Hearts and Arrow Signature, and I believe there was also ERD's chandelier if I am not too mistaken (didn't investigate this one too much as options seemed limited). Am I missing any others worth considering?

Unless it is strongly advised otherwise, I have reserved this stone and will be completing the purchase tomorrow:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03808090?keyword_search_value=LD03808090

Its a bit more expensive than I planned on spending, but it appears to be a great deal at 1.15 carat weight, and additionally it faces up quite large compared to other stones in the same weight. The Brellia's for instance face up much smaller, and BGD's measurements confuse me with their method.

I originally started looking at F-G, and VS1-VS2, and this stone is an H SI1 which I'm hoping will be negligible due to the higher performance. I'm thinking this is a good trade off for the added size, which leads me to ask....

Is the extra .10-.15 mm noticeably larger in real world? She is ring size 5 btw.

Another question - am I likely to find a stone with equal or better performance from another vendor (such as JA) for a better price? In other words am I paying more just for the BN Signature name (altho this should be a guarantee of performance).

Last question for now...I have read so many posts indicating BN not good for settings. I know its common practice here to send to another vendor for setting, but can anyone recommend a local South Florida jeweler?

Thanks again for everyone (especially Gypsy) taking the time to help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results