shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice here - help or advise appreciated!

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read and reply. My story summarized: In a long distance relationship for almost 1.5 years, in love and from the beginning I felt she is the "one" and I know she feels the same. We have been discussing the idea of marriage and putting an end to this long distance within a year from now. I was planning to propose to her next time I visit her (September) but on short notice we found a great flight deal and she is coming to visit me (in Miami) this weekend. I haven't spent time with her since April, and I'm really anxious to put a ring on her finger this weekend and let her know I'm serious about taking the next step. There is not a doubt in my mind she will say yes...I've gotten several hints lol.

Maybe its not the smart thing to do - rushing to have a ring and proposal plan by this weekend (juggling a few proposal ideas at the moment while going diamond ring shopping crazy). My head was already spinning, and then I found pricescope - now I'm losing it! I know the basics (4 C's, GIA certification preferred) and now being here and reading some of these threads I have been exposed to HCA and Idealscopes which I still haven't fully comprehended. I just had no idea how serious it is, and I'm starting to think I should slow down and wait until September so I don't make a mistake.

I'm attaching some photos for the GIA certified stone + halo ring I was planning to purchase for 6K. I apologize for the quality and realize they might be useless, but at least one photo shows the report for what its worth. Does this seem like a good purchase, or is there no way to know for sure without learning how to properly grade performance? Is there any recommended local dealers in South Florida that anyone can suggest? Thank you again I appreciate any advise and guidance!

photo_773.jpg

photo_774.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry. There's not enough information there for us to help you with that ring. It's a cushion and the lab report while informative on color and clarity, and fortunately a GIA graded, doesn't tell us anything about the cut.

If you've bought it and you are on a timeline that is tight. Just enjoy it. There's no point in second guessing yourself now.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
I believe the OP is still deciding on the purchase, Gypsy. If so, I would say to wait until September. There are so many small details that go into making a diamond truly sparkle, and it takes time and patience to understand these details. IMHO, an engagement is not something you want to "rush", for several reasons. If you end up buying something in a hurry, but don't really feel comfortable with the purchase, you may end up regretting your decision. Think about it like this - if this girl is worth spending the rest of your life with, isn't she worth spending the time to find the right ring? And besides, September is only two months away. My advice is to wait and do a little more research. I'm sure the PS community would be more than happy to help you find what you're looking for. ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. He hasn't bought yet?

I read that wrong.

Okay. Tell me this then... are you sure your lady WANTS a halo?

Do you have any idea what she wants, and HOW do you know?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. So...

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is. And you need a reliable lab report which means GIA or AGS only.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F.
Now fancies (anything other than a modern round brilliant) are very different than rounds. Then you are talking faceting and light return only-- not numbers on a lab report. And that's much harder. An ASET image can help you with that for fancies: http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp As it evaluates light performance by TYPE of light. And the the experienced posters on this board can help teach you about whatever fancy shape it is that you are looking for.
Or, in the case of Princesses and cushions: you can short cut and get an ASG0 cushion or princess. They are RARE though, but we can direct you to vendors that carry them. But getting a 'generic' GIA cushion will probably save you the most money, and honestly since cushions are very popular many vendors are stocking some lovely options.
With other shapes... you are back to the time consuming method of searching out stones on an individual basis, which means pictures, videos, and ASET images.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and you don't need F VS1. The clarity especially, you will be just fine with an eyeclean SI1 and you won't be able to tell it apart from a VS1 with the naked eye. As for F color. You can safely go down to G. And even H in a well cut cushion. Please remember that color is graded face down, not face up.

That said, the pricing is not bad on that one. If the cut on the cushion is excellent, and the stone is bright and lively then it might work out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some cushions with a lot of promise (when comparing cushions compare DIMENSIONS not carat weight):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-320584
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-348865
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-305909
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-303910

JA has a number of halo settings to choose from. Or you can get the stone set locally.

You could pick three and request an ASET from JA.

The stones above are from JA. They have a 60 day no questions asked full refund return policy. They pay shipping both ways. Additionally they have an upgrade policy. They will provide you with an idealscope image upon request for up to 3 stones per purchase. They are a Google Trusted Store. Here is the BBB record: http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/jewelers-retail/jamesallencom-in-frederick-md-22011065

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the feedback, and it seems I have so much to learn. I have not purchased the ring yet, and I will review the recommendations from James Allen. I have tried to get an idea of what type of setting or even stone she prefers, but she refuses to give any preference and is so humble in her response hinting that she will love whatever I decide to get her regardless. She really wants to be surprised, so I can't take her ring shopping. :/

I just happened across the Halo Setting with a Cushion stone because a friend recommended the jeweler in Aventura, and that one did catch my eye. Supposedly the "friend of a friend" was offering me a "special price" and compared to other local jewelers - well nobody else came close to that quality for that price point.

Then a friend told me to get on Price Scope and here I am! I will be patient and do more homework. It doesn't have to be Halo, and the stone doesn't have to be Cushion. If she won't give me any preferences, how do I know what direction to go in? lol She is petite, ring size 5, very feminine and into modern fashion. Is there a cut or ring style thats currently "hot" in the fashion world ? A family member recommended I focus more on the stone now with a simple setting, as we might want to change settings to match bands once we do tie the knot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do me a favor, answer this questionnaire and see what might work for her:

1. What is your budget?

2. How old are you guys?

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind? How about kids? Have them? Want them?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her. Use many words. The more you tell us the better.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)?

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Some of my responses are a tad bit lengthy, but I tried my best and thank you again Gypsy!!!

1. What is your budget?
- 5-6k including setting, but if interest free financing available can possibly stretch to 7+

2. How old are you guys?
- I am 34, and she is 31

3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
- Human Resources Coordinator for consultation firm, working her way up the ladder to Director and eventually VP, although she also has a degree in Clinical Psychology and could change careers with the right opportunity.

4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?
- She likes to dress up, and keep up with latest fashion. Lots of bright colors and florals, but neutrals and solids too. I think she has a dress in every color (black, white, blue, red, yellow) lol. She loves "sex in the city" and "shopaholic" and all that high end fashion stuff, but she can also do the jeans and t-shirt thing as long as they are fitted and fashionable lol.

5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones.
- white metals

6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?
- Im kind of guessing here because I am no expert but whatever she has it looks good - a little bit antique, a little bit pottery barn, a little bit modern i think but not so much with metals and leathers..she pulls it off nicely and its all very much coordinated.

7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
- very put together

8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?
- loves handbags, mostly neutral colors but there are a few bright color options in there.

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).
- Miami

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind? How about kids? Have them? Want them?
- No pets, possible in the future (for the kids) but no plans yet. She has an 8 year old son, I have a 11 year old daughter, and we have discussed adding 1 more to the family :)

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?
-She loves brand names, and while she appreciates the quality im sure bragging rights/recognition/fashionability are the main factor.

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her. Use many words. The more you tell us the better.
-Although I stated all of the above, she is a very humble person. She grew up with a well off family and has received all kinds of fancy brand name gifts since birth, and as much as she loves it she is very non materialistic and very giving. Her family is always giving back to the community, charities, the church, etc. The first gift I ever gave her was a silver ring with a blue topaz heart, and she wears it everyday. I am not from a family of wealth, and sometimes I am worried that I cant give her what she is accustomed to but she is always reassuring me she would give it all up to be with me. Her ex husband is very wealthy but he did not treat her right - he tried to "buy her back" many times but thats not whats important to her. She is very romantic, and to truly being love, respect and loyalty are the most important to her.
-Other important qualities - she is extremely charismatic, her smile and laughter light up the room, amazing sense of humor, we are always laughing together and we love it! She is highly educated, ambitious, optimistic, articulate, refined, very polite, very well mannered, high moral values, super friendly, always helping people, very hard worker, very proud, will not take hand outs, an amazing mother, my daughter absolutely loves her, all kids do in fact she is great with them, she can be a bit of a princess at times haha. She is a Latina and she loves to socialize, dance, cook (and eat), family is very important to her, and I'm not sure what else I can say but she never ceases to amaze me... she's too good for me how did i get this lucky? :love:

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)?
-Nothing here, can you believe that? :wall: Whenever I've tried she tells me she will love whatever I choose.

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?
A lot of variety,but also some matching pieces, and although she has the fancy Tiffany's and other fancy type brands I never heard of, she will also wear costume jewelry that she coordinates with her outfits - such as large or small necklaces and bracelets. She also loves large brand name sunglasses 8-)

yolosuarez

Rough_Rock
I can't really post on the diamond because I'm in the boat like you but only been searching for rounds. But, I will tell you that Grace from jewelsbygrace is very easy to work with! Feel free to call her and ask! I highly recommend her as she was very polite and easy to work with in regards to any of her diamonds/settings. If you have particular questions regarding that diamond or anything she will be gladly to help you :D

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to chime in and wish you the very best in your search! You and your lady sound super sweet.

Gypsy- you are so wonderful to help people out the way you do.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rookie34|1405654653|3715570 said:

That's a beauty. And a Nice choice for her. I like the vintage route because you can get a lot of size and value that way.

I think your original idea of a cushion in a halo would actually be lovely from JA. http://www.jamesallen.com/financing/... But I am concerned by the fact that you are financing all of this. Because that's not a great idea unless you know you can pay it off quickly.

I also think a Novo style setting is a good option with a cushion for the center. BUT cushions face up small for their carat weight. And while less expensive than rounds per carat are pretty expensive. An Oval diamond will give you a great amount of spread, and a lower price per carat, so I think that's the way I'd lean.

But I actually think a nice pre-owned Tiffany piece might be a good fit as well. Depending on what is out there (someone might be along to help with that). Provided we could get one with a center stone above 80 points.

I'll post some options for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
apacherose|1405658894|3715613 said:
I just want to chime in and wish you the very best in your search! You and your lady sound super sweet.

Gypsy- you are so wonderful to help people out the way you do.

Thank you Apache rose!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so here are my recommendations. I looked at JA and GOG and couldn't find any ovals I'd recommend for purchase.

Suggestion #1
The stone:
A: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5156609-1.01-carat-Oval-diamond-F-color-VS2-clarity.aspx Lovely and bright F VS2 oval. Nice spread (you don't get this from a one carat cushion).

B. Settings at or under 1200:
B2C's settings for ovals have peg heads. Which are inexpensive and look it. So I'd go for an affordable designer setting made for the stone, since you have the time. Beverly K has lovely settings and many are very affordable and are great quality as well. GOG and Pearlmans are Beverly K dealers.

Halos:
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/split-shank/r9412-a-d-d-cz.html
and
http://www.beverleyk.com/r391-a-d-d-cz.html

Non-Halos:
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/split-shank/r9235-a-d-d-cz.html
and

(If you like the idea of an oval but don't want to work with different vendors you can call GOG and ask them to source a nice oval for you as well, and they are a Beverly K dealer).

Suggestion #2:

A) Stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11786/ 4,550

B) Setting Options under 1500:
Good Old Gold is a Beverly K dealer and you can get this from them: http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/products/beverley-k-diamond-engagement-ring-semi-mount-center-stone-not-included-number-tj023-slash-65sq It would look fantastic with a Emerald Cut as the center stone.

You can also order this setting: http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/split-shank/r9412-a-d-d-cz.html for the EC.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suggestion #3 If you can get to 6,500k with JA's financing.
Stone: You would put these on hold and ask for ASETs of them. Then we'd help you pick one winner.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-351952 4,500
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-347193 4,500
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-349674 4,300

With this setting:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/18k-white-gold-pave-set-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-31884 2,100.

So far, I personally like the #3 and #1 the best.

I also like the vintage ring you posted. Only thing there is that I'd ask Grace to have the prongs fixed so that they are identical, because right now each are kinda doing their own thing.

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Thank you yolo and apache! Especially huge thank you to Gypsy, if there is such thing as a diamond consultant that would be you, and that you are doing this just to help others like myself is sincerely touching!

You have given me some wonderful options to consider, and I like allllll of them hahaha...the 6 month financing option from JA would give me plenty of time to cover the difference and spend a little more, and with her here this weekend my goal will be to try to get an idea if she is an Oval or EC kind of girl, without giving away my intention. Wish me luck :pray:

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Ok so I did some homework this weekend, and it looks like although she will be happy regardless what I give her, the preference is princess or cushion. I do recall at one point Gypsy you mentioned the possibility of a pre-owned Tiffany's? Where would be the best place to look for that option?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pre-owned Tiffany, I've looked into for you. It isn't going to get you a full carat.

So since you CAN get a full carat going the unbranded route I think that would be better, personally.

Did you get a sense for halo or no halo?

rookie34

Rough_Rock
I agree if Tiffany's at (or close to) a full carat is not an option in my price range that a full carat would be preferred.

As for settings, the feeling I get is some type of solitaire that would allow the center stone to appear more prominently raised would be best..so I think the halo is out. Maybe a pave setting, possibly with some type of side work? Some of the Tacori i see on whiteflash come to mind, but I have not seen these in person....

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Wow both settings are beautiful...and I appreciate showing me how vast the options really are with the stone. Can I ask -am I better off shopping for a cushion over princess? I wonder which diamond cut will face up larger, and get a better and/or bigger diamond for the cost?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither cushions or princesses are very spready. Honestly nothing SQUARE is spready. I speak as the owner of as square emerald cut.

Princesses with great performance usually have depths in the 70's. That's just how they are cut. A one carat princess faces up at 5.5.

Now with cushions, you have a lot of different facet patterns to chose from. Right now James Allen has a killer selection of nice cushions in the one carat range in your budget. So it gives you a lot of variety. And several of those stones are facing up larger than 5.5mm. So yes, with a one carat cushion it is possible to get more spread than a princess.

Go through the stones I picked for you, pick three that you like best. Keep the spread of the stones in mind. Ask for an ASET of them. And then post them when you have them.

rookie34

Rough_Rock
You have been super helpful Gypsy! Still doing homework - have a little more than a month to prepare! Let me ask about this stone here:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-353006

So a stone like this, with less depth will face up larger, making the diamond appear bigger. Is there a sacrifice to performance for having less depth? As I am "studying" these reports, I wonder what ranges usually perform better, or is it a matter of preference?

For instance the depth, the table, the girdle, and culet...

Why would this "E" be so much less expensive?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04605004?click_id=388036243

:confused:

rookie34

Rough_Rock
So the original jeweler contacted me to see if I'm still interested..mentioned to him I'm shopping around and asked for some addition pics of the ring...for what it's worth it's a platinum setting, so from what I can see platinum halo is usually close to the 2k mark

_21324.jpg

_21325.jpg

_21326.jpg

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
rookie34|1407816330|3730680 said:
You have been super helpful Gypsy! Still doing homework - have a little more than a month to prepare! Let me ask about this stone here:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-353006

So a stone like this, with less depth will face up larger, making the diamond appear bigger. Is there a sacrifice to performance for having less depth?

Gypsy's F cushion above looks like a better performer than this one.

Depth is a measure of the total vertical thickness of the diamond. What is more important is how much of this depth falls above versus below the girdle, and in particular, how this affects the angles of the crown and pavilion. If you spin the JA 360 view so you get a sideways view, you'll see that your pick above has a very shallow crown. This will have negative effects on brightness and fire.

Hang in there, diamond shopping can be very confusing at first, but eventually you'll get it. :))

Or, you can just go with the selections Gypsy has picked for you. Spin the diamonds around in the JA 360 video, and see which ones appeal to you. If you don't like any of them, tell us why, and someone will find you some other options more to your liking.

To make the final selection, you will have to request ASET images of your candidate picks. You will get additional help here on interpreting those.

Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rookie34

Rough_Rock
Gypsy there is no doubt you know exactly what to look for and I barely have a clue! I do not doubt your selections trumped the 2 i pointed out, but I was just trying to understand why. Is it specific dimensions that you know to look for, or is it that with experience you have the eyes to know what your looking at?

Btw, when you referred to the "dead diamond" that was a very bad choice - was that the James Allen link, the Blue nile link, or the pictures from the local jeweler?

Hope I am not asking to many questions or wearing out my welcome......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results