shape
carat
color
clarity

Not wearing "white white"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding dress is supposed to come in sometime this month and I ordered it in "light gold" which pretty much looked like ivory to me. But the more I''m looking at all of the gorgeous white gowns being posted on here the more worried I get that mine will be very obviously not white, and therefore not look bridal!

Yes, I know I''m probably being dumb, but I haven''t seen my dress in person since November and I''m getting anxious!

So for those of you who have an "ivory" or other non-white colored dress (but still in the white/ivory family I guess...) did you at all regret not wearing white-white?
33.gif

Ahh as I type this I feel like I''m sounding ridiculous. But who would understand better than you gals?
1.gif

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
i havent bought a dress and ive only gone to try them on once, but when looking online i kinda seem to be liking the ivory better the more i look at them. but we will since what i decide on.

any pics of your dress?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Pearl I just looked up your dress which is BEAUTIFUL btw without a doubt I would consider you to look bridal in that dress - the colour goes lovely with your skin tone and you look beautiful in it :).

I think your just having pre-dress jitters which is complelty understandable :D.

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I''m getting a near-white dress because ivory and all other fun colors looked terrible with my skin tone
39.gif
If I could''ve gone with something a little less traditional, I would have!!

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:38:06 AM
Author: Lynny0780
i havent bought a dress and ive only gone to try them on once, but when looking online i kinda seem to be liking the ivory better the more i look at them. but we will since what i decide on.

any pics of your dress?

It''s Maggie Sottero Symphony. Here''s the link (well okay not a *real* link cause I have no idea how to do that...) to my thread when I bought it.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-bought-my-dress.101010/

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:46:37 AM
Author: Deelight
Pearl I just looked up your dress which is BEAUTIFUL btw without a doubt I would consider you to look bridal in that dress - the colour goes lovely with your skin tone and you look beautiful in it :).

I think your just having pre-dress jitters which is complelty understandable :D.

Thanks Deelight! I kept reading about the pre-dress jitters and thought Oh I''ll never get that... HA! I''m freaking out waiting for the store to call so I can go see it again!

The reason I picked that color initially was because I thought white looked too harsh against my skin and hair and I thought this fit better. Actually looking back at the pictures of me in it just now kinda made me feel better...!
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:51:26 AM
Author: PearlDahhhling
Date: 3/4/2009 1:46:37 AM

Author: Deelight

Thanks Deelight! I kept reading about the pre-dress jitters and thought Oh I''ll never get that... HA! I''m freaking out waiting for the store to call so I can go see it again!

The reason I picked that color initially was because I thought white looked too harsh against my skin and hair and I thought this fit better. Actually looking back at the pictures of me in it just now kinda made me feel better...!

1.gif

:) YAY, you look stunning in that dress not long now till it is offically offically yours :D.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
All the ones I tried on this weekend were ivory/off-white. The one I purchased (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/strawberries-has-a-dress.108775/) is still ivory. But I guess it looks the average white color in the pictures. But the other one that almost made the cut was #2 - and I considered that sort of a cream color, but still very bridal. The only one that wasn''t really as "bridal" as most people''s was #3, but I loved its color with my skin.

I think you''ll be absolutely fine!! I even saw girls wearing actual gold-colored dresses, and they looked gorgeous. I think the only time you''d feel off the bridal "beaten path" would be wearing a color that was very boldly different, like black or red or blue.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
ETA I just looked at your dress thread - I totally think it''s bridal! You look great in it!!
36.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I remember your gown distinctly and I think that you will look very bridal in it! I wouldn''t worry too much. The gold is a lovely shade and I think it works well with your skin tone.

I ordered an ivory dress because that is what went best with my skin tone. Every bridal salon I went in to told me not to order white white so I just followed their instructions. The ivory of my gown isn''t too yellowy and could probably also be called diamond white (from what I recall... been a few months since I saw it in person).

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My dress is ivory and compared against white it's very obviously not white. But I love it! My skin is very pale so I know that white is not my color. In fact, I think white white wedding dresses don't look great on a lot of people unless you have just the right skin tone. Ivory seems to be more universally flattering for anybody with more pale skin.

ETA: I wanted to add that you look fantastic in that dress. I think the color you ordered will look much better on you than white would have; it's so perfect with your skin tone!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl, i don't even have to look back at your dress because i remember it very distinctly and I LOVE the light gold color. the light gold maggie is really very warm ivory (i tried one on) and i think it was the perfect color for your skin tone!

White dresses are lovely, and while they are bridal, they are not for everyone. now, i didn't see you in white (or did i?) but i did see myself in white and i would NEVER wear a white dress after seeing myself in one!!!!! it wasn't remotely flattering to my skin tone and everyone hated it....i dont' think even in the summer with a tan i would love myself in a really white dress as well as an ivory one. Mine is REALLY warm ivory, and although i just bought it i don't think i'll be sad later that it's not white - i love the warmer colors.

Think of it this way, it will certainly be the whitest dress around on YOUR wedding day, and to everyone else you'll be the lady in white (so to speak). I dont' think they'll be any confusion as to who is the bride....you'll be lovely!

can you repost a pic for us? i would love to see it again...

EDIT: is it ok if I repost your pic for you? it really is lovely....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great!

I have a base white dress, but there''s a lot of color in it and it''s kind of an oddball dress in general
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-wedding-dress-thoughts.108868/

And I''d had second thoughts about it as well. But I think that''s only natural when you''re doing something a little different :) Be brave, you''ve got nothing to worry about because it looks great!

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl, I wore a gold dress. I had a lot of compliments on it, and loved the color. It was slightly richer in color then in this picture, but I thought it would give you a general idea. I know its hard when you haven''t seen it for a while, but you loved it then for a reason, and you will still love it when you try it on again, I promise!

Amanda-dress.jpg

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
My dress will be ivory and that is what will look best with my skin tone. A lovely pale gold would have been nice as well. I just wasn''t able to do white white yet I don''t think that that will be a problem. My dress still looks bridal to me. I think that a lot of the not white dresses are quite beautiful and still bridal looking.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d say that at LEAST 80% of the brides that leave the store I work at order a dress in ivory or another non-white color.

Not all, but many of the dresses look cheaper in white. That''s not to say that any white dress looks cheap, but a majority of them do.

Most people look better in a little softer shade, even Diamond White.

I think your gown is beautiful and the color looks gorgeous on you.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
My dress is ivory, and I don''t regret it a bit. I remember thinking, "Okay, this is definitely not white," when I pulled it out of the box, but it looked great when I had it on. I like what it does for my olive-y skin. White dresses are lovely, but I like the softer, richer look that ivory/light gold/champagne dresses have.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
My dress is a champagne color. And I felt really bridal in it. Just remind yourself that on that day, even if you were in a burlap sack you would still look bridal because you are the BRIDE! YAY

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I would guess that you are going to be the one with the most perfect EVERYTHING at your wedding, that no one will think you look any less bridal for having a gown with a bit of color.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pearl!

First off, the Symphony is a BEAUTIFUL dress! One that I have been coveting for a very long time. You will be stunning in it with your coloring.

Secondly, I have ordered a maggie gown in light gold in the past for a wedding that never happened and I can tell you that although it doesn''t look white or ivory, it DOES look like a traditional wedding dress color.

The model on the maggie website is wearing that gown in light gold and it is my feeling that is the preferred color of the gown by the designer.

If you''re really in doubt, go to a bridal shop and try on a light gold with pewter accent, taffeta, maggie gown (don''t worry about style.) Make sure though, that you are trying on that combo because different fabrics show differently. For instance, the light gold satin looks VERY dark sometimes, much darker than the tafetta and you might be shocked if you try that on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results