shape
carat
color
clarity

North to South or....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone... hoping for some advice as I lost sleep over this last night!!!
Anyway, I just got my 2.18 ct princess put into a new setting...(three stone princess now)
The new setting looks beautiful EXCEPT the center stone which was set north to south before
the jeweler turned east west. The stone is 7.21 x 6.92 which is in square range but not a perfect square. I feel the stone does not have enought height turned this way and would look better next to the .70 princess side stones if turned. I told the jeweler this after living with the ring a few days and he said he could turn the center stone but I may end up with a tiny space next to the side stones if he turns it. Is there no other answer here? I certainly do not want gaps of any size between center and side stones!!!!
Any suggestions will be way appreciated!
The setting is platinum by the way!
Thanks....

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
So many views and no advice????
Please someone....anyone?????

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it looks perfectlly fine the way it is. you''re the one who has to be happy though. if you think you would like it better turned, then perhaps you should have the jeweler fix it.

here is the pic for reference..........

p-scope.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, tat2db!

Do you have a picture of the ring? I'm not sure I understand WHY turning the the stone should create a gap.

I DO know that you should have the ring EXACTLY the way you want it, and that the jeweler should see that you get it...with no gaps!

IMO your stone is "rectangular enough" that he should have consulted you BEFORE he opted to mount it E/W...
29.gif

widget

Edited to add: Thanks for the pic, Belle... It is indeed beautiful. But if it bothers you, Tat...you should have it fixed to your complete satisfaction!!!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
First off your ring is stunning! However I am not the one wearing it so it is you who must feel lie it is perfect. Would the jewler need to create a new mouting to prevent gaps from appearing betwee the stones? if so how long will it take and at what cost? That you are 100% satisfied is the primary concern here, I hope that this can be resolved wihtout too much trouble on either you or your jewelers part.

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
I know Widget!!! I am beating myself up for not telling him to set it N to S but I never dreamed that he would not. The picture above IMHO makes the stone look perfectly square but it is not...as you say those few millimeters make a difference. What I do not understand is why if he turns it there must be gaps? Should''nt he be able to take all three stones out- manipulate the prongs and reset them--and no gaps?
Am I going to need a whole new mounting because of this error??? YIKES...I am getting ahead of myself!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: tat2db
Should''nt he be able to take all three stones out- manipulate the prongs and reset them--and no gaps?
I''d think so...but hopefully a knowledgeable benchman will chime in here with an opinion...

widget

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for replying (all who have!). I (thought) planned this so well and ...well.... I am just upset! In a three stone setting don''t you all think N to S when applicable is asthetically more appealing? Just want opinions here!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I just love your ring and think it''s beautiful the way it is.......however, you have to be happy when wearing it, and if not, the jeweler should work with you and set it the way you want. Just wanted you to know I think it''s stunning!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m going to add the other pic here because i think it gives a different perspective.
kates%20pic.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 10:28:31 AM
In a three stone setting don't you all think N to S when applicable is asthetically more appealing?
Yes.

But I'm wondering if in this case, the jeweler was thinking not about north/south so much but that your center stone is "off square". Perhaps he thought that by mounting it this way, he was making the stone "look" more square for a tradional "three square stone" mounting...

Unfortunately, that's not the effect you wanted!
8.gif

widget

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Yes I guess so. The stone looks square either way it is turned, but E to W it is wider and shorter and N to S thinner and taller. No right and wrong how to set it..I wish I was consulted or would of thought to mention my preference... shoulda ...woulda...coulda! I hope the jeweler will work something out with me.
I just hope I do not need a whole new mounting as it is heavy platinum and it was not cheap!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

I honestly can't even tell that it's not perfectly square, and I HAVE a princess (pendant) with a stone that is obviously not perfectly square!!

I like it the way it is!!...one thing you may want to consider is that, when you flip the stone, you are going to therefore create more space between the 3 stone ring and any other ring you want next to it. Are you okay with that? Because you will definitely increase the gap. If you're okay with this and do want the stone flipped, I would fight hard for the jeweler to make the ring look properly - that is, no gap between center and sidestones. THAT would drive me more batty than having the stone set in an orientation I didn't like!!! But I do want to reiterate that I like it the way it is...and wouldn't want to increase the gap between the 3 stone and an adjacent ring, personally.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great to me but I know it may look different to you. I am just a consumer so one of the pros here may know this, if you set the centre stone higher would that get rid of the gaps (just a thought). You would probably learn to like the setting with the gaps, perhaps?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, again...

This topic is really interesting to me. Since I made my last post, I started to think about MY "three square stone" ring...

My center stone is "off square", too...with two truly square sides. When I had it mounted, I did not specifiy which way I wanted the center stone to go...but the designer mounted it north/south. Looking at it now, I think it probably would have bugged me, too, if it had been mounted the other way.

I think you should have it done exactly the way you want, and I think the jeweler should eat whatever it costs to get it just right!

JMO
widget

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if the jeweller thought it looked more square like that and so matched the sidestones better, this does not mean ofcourse that it has to look square. Did he say a reason for it?

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
I know the gaps are something that will be unacceptable to me... I am a little OCD about this kind of stuff. What I don''t get is why there has to be gaps at all... I know nothing setting jewelry but my thoughts are take out all three stones manipulate the prongs and reset them N to S with no gaps. Can this not be done with platinum???
And as for the space between e-ring and wedding band, the stone was set N to S in my other setting and it did not create any space problems.
Thanks all of you SO much for letting me vent... I guess I need to go see the jeweler....I HATE confrontation!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
.. I know nothing setting jewelry but my thoughts are take out all three stones manipulate the prongs and reset them N to S with no gaps. Can this not be done with platinum???
Tat....why not frame this question in a new thread. I bet you''d get these technical questions answered by a pro or two pretty quickly.

It would be nice to know as much as you can BEFORE you confront the jeweler!

Good luck!
widget

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To put my 2 cents in IMHO I think I''d prefer it east west, the overall effect of your ring looks beautiful. It will also stick out less if you are layering it with other rings (such as a wedding band)
But it is your preference that matters. If there is a noticable difference, it is strange that they didn''t ask you before it was set. I would think the traditional way is to set it would be NS, if unasked (thinking of marquise and oval diamonds).

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Widget that is a great idea! Except I don''t know how to do it! Can you tell me how????
Thank You!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Just start a new topic here in Rockytalky.

Entitle it something like this: "HELP! Need benchman''s advice!"

Then pose your question in your message. (maybe "benchperson" is more PC
1.gif
)

widget

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Widget would you mind posting a pic of your three stone square ring? Or a link to it? How off square is it? I would love to see it!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi...here's a link to the thread....I hope it works.. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-moms-asscher.30713/

It's kinda funny. I was madly trying to measure the centerstone with my millimeter gauge to figure out which way it had been set, when I suddenly realized all I had to do was look at it! It's an asscher, so the elongated culet clearly shows which way the stone is heading!
9.gif

BTW: I notice you haven't gotten a response yet to your other post...I bet you will. If not, you can bump it tommorrow. Seems like a pretty basic question..

widget

(edited to correct link address)

tat2db

Shiny_Rock
Wow Widget that is one beuuuuuutiful ring you have there!! Amazing!
We talked to the jeweler who said he would turn the stones N to S, he will cut/ manipulate it so there will be no gaps and he will split the cost with us, which he says should not be very much at all. Apparantly they fiddle with the stone in the setting and then mount it the way they think looks best. Whatever... I have looked at it N to S in my old setting for two years and i like it that way!!! I was so happy you said you could relate to being "bugged" by this---I don''t feel sooo picky now!
I will let you know what happens and post new pics when he is finished setting it... he won''t be able to get to it this week though, so I am looking at getting it back the end of next week.
Thanks again and once more your ring is delicious!!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I see what you are saying, but I think it looks very nice set E/W. It really is not obvious except that you pointed it out to us obsessive PS-ers. At this point, if it bothers you now, it will just drive you nuts forever. I''m glad that the jeweler is willing to work with you to get it the way YOU like it.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I''m being 100% honest when I say i like it the way it is....but you know what you wanted/expected, and you need to do whatever will be most pleasing to you......you might want to give it some time this way (meanwhile notify the jeweler re: your concerns asap.....)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results