shape
carat
color
clarity

Noob needs help with diamond studs

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
This is my first time choosing diamond stud earrings and I'm really nervous about getting them to match. I'm looking for ideal AGS000, Hearts and Arrows, H or I color, VS1 or VS2, and a total weight over .80. I'd much prefer a total weight of around .90 though. The price I'm looking in is between 2,000 and 2,400.

I've gotten a few emails from great online vendors but the stones are not super close in size.

One pair is 4.94 x 4.97 x 3.06 (table 55.3) and 4.89 x 4.93 x 3.04 (table 56.3). They are .45 each.

The other pair is 4.82×4.84×2.94 (table 56.5) and 4.78×4.80×2.96 (table 55.4). They are .417 each.

Help me sort this out please! Are either of these close enough in size to make a set that looks the same size when held side by side? Can you suggest something that would work better?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are close enough. Even side by side, it is going to be difficult to tell the difference once they are set. Separated by a head, no way you will tell the difference in size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Stone Cold. And I'd go for the first pair, over the second.

Just as an aside, if it were me, I would either want a pair with a GREAT upgrade policy (GOG, BGD and HPD all have great policies), or I would be super happy with the largest size I would afford and I would VERY EASILY be drop down to I color and eyeclean SI clarity AND I would happily go for GIA Excellent Cuts that score below a 2.0 on the HCA and have great idealscopes. Which means, I would be on the phone with ID jewelry before I finalized any purchase elsewhere to see what they could do for me if an upgrade policy wasn't on my "must have" list.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1307750148|2942950 said:

Just as an aside, if it were me, I would either want a pair with a GREAT upgrade policy (GOG, BGD and HPD all have great policies), or I would be super happy with the largest size I would afford and I would VERY EASILY be drop down to I color and eyeclean SI clarity AND I would happily go for GIA Excellent Cuts that score below a 2.0 on the HCA and have great idealscopes. Which means, I would be on the phone with ID jewelry before I finalized any purchase elsewhere to see what they could do for me if an upgrade policy wasn't on my "must have" list.

Gypsy makes a great point, dont be afraid to contact vendors. I was recently in the market for studs, I contacted; BGD, GOG, and WF while I was looking and I browsed Blue Nile as well. In the end BGD had what I wanted in terms of cut and color at a price I could agree to. But all three vendors were happy to provide quotes. Get on the phone or get on google. Send out a few emails, if you do your due diligence you will end up much happier with your purchase in the long run.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a pair. You REALLY REALLY REALLY will not be able to tell the difference between an AGS 0 I color and an H when set...

I would check to make sure the SI's are completely eyeclean... and I would be thrilled with my 1.04 ctw studs.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1382966.asp And http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1382960.asp

Plus JA does have an upgrade policy, which while not the absolute best in the industry, is still solid, especially for studs.

If I were spending that much for studs, I'd want a full carat total weight. No brainer.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

Doesn't ID Jewelry have an upgrade policy? I purchased my studs there and I was told it is 100%.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
wildcat03|1307755506|2942992 said:

Doesn't ID Jewelry have an upgrade policy? I purchased my studs there and I was told it is 100%.

I wasn't aware of that! Okay soo... even better. I would give them a call... they've been sourcing some great studs for folks.

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
You people are great! I'm looking at all of your suggestions and thinking it through. My hubs (who is giving me this gift) is stuck on the idea of Hearts and Arrows and a clarity of VS2 or better. He's okay with going to I in color. I know I can do better in size if I skip the Hearts and Arrows and just go with ideal. Also, I know there are some very nice eye-clean SI's out there although it's a little scary to buy SI online. What's the trick to being comfortable with SI when you can't see it first? I know James Allen has the virtual loupe thing, but I find it difficult to envision how it will look in real life.

To help me convince him that we can go a little bigger, can anybody tell me what H&A adds to an ideal? I have only one really good diamond and we bought it before the H&A thing. As it happens, it is H&A and I'll admit that it is kinda cool to look at those little arrows.

Thanks bunches for your help! I can't wait to post pics of my new jewels.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would just ask the vendor if the SIs are eye-clean (and define what that means to you). For earrings some people are less picky about clarity since you will not be examining them up close! Also if there are inclusions visible from the side view but not from the top no one would ever see them with earrings. Of course if you want VS2 that is fine too, but you can find SI1s that are totally eye-clean (especially for earrings).

As far as H&A...it is possible to have arrow patterning without H&A. Whether or not there is a large visual difference between 'ideal' and 'H&A' depends on your definitions of both 'ideal' and 'H&A'!

luckky

Shiny_Rock
With that budget would give you a very nice pairs, I have the same budget and just got my self diamond stud from BGD :) can't wait to see my baby IRL. I just order these pairs, if you don't mind for low color (with earrings I am fine with it, and sale person told me it very white face up):

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051391015
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051391021

may be not the best for my first stud but I think I falling in love with it already.

Good luck

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Luckky! Those are gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see the picture when you get them.

luckky

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! LFSPK :) I can't wait to see them too and hopefully will be done by next week. As soon as I get my glamor shot will share some. So...just would like to give an idea that your budget is so fine to get a very very nice pair for everyday ware earring :wink2: In my opinion I like all the ready set to go too but with not much different of $$$ we can get the better cut with AGS cert, I rather pay a little bit more and get better pair. Hope you fine what you looking for soon and we will joy the stud club :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to a hearts on fire dealer. Make an appointment and go with your hubs. Don't ask them about other Hearts and Arrows diamonds. But make sure you look at some of their SI clarity diamonds.

JA doesn't want to make a sale and risk a return. They will tell you the truth about the clarity of the diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results