carat
color
clarity

"Nobody wants OECs anymore"

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haaa!!!

So this was the response I got from one of the local antique jewelry stores when I called to inquire about loose stones of a certain size.

Also, all the other local stores I called said "we don't have those" and "you'll never find that".

Meanwhile - I decided *not* to do any explaining about the markets for these stones in major centers - such as NYC and LA.

One guy told me no one wants OECs anymore, so they had all been recut. He said it would be more profitable to recut an OEC and lose 60 points making it a round brilliant than trying to sell it as is.

And you are an expert about... what again? lol

Nice!

Anne

PS - Was calling just to look, would not buy locally!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I think antique cut diamonds are seen as foreign objects to most jewelers these days. My friend had taken her great grandmother's OMC into her local shop to have it reset and the jeweler told her it was a rose cut diamond. "I" am only "PS" educated on antique cuts and I knew it wasn't a rose cut, but an OMC! :sick: And another jeweler she took it to thought it was cracked, until he louped it and then realized it was an antique cut. I guess they just don't see them often enough to get familiar with them...I feel sorry for them! =)

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Those guys are morons. Complete, utter morons. I love antique stones.

stci

Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1304389833|2910747 said:
Those guys are morons. Complete, utter morons. I love antique stones.

... and more! They simply don't know the population taste and are not jewelers at all! Grrrrr.... Hope those stupid persons don't discourage you to find your Old Cut diamond!

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
i took my engagement ring (victorian diamond)into my local jeweler here in the UK and he told me the fact that it was old devalued it!!! as far as i'm aware this is not true, or is it?????????

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's nuts! I love old cuts!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
GraceAva|1304421123|2910913 said:
i took my engagement ring (victorian diamond)into my local jeweler here in the UK and he told me the fact that it was old devalued it!!! as far as i'm aware this is not true, or is it?????????

Well, from 'his' standpoint as a retailer, then probably yes, it would be less valuable (make him less money) because there is not as much demand for antique diamonds. And as most antique diamonds are sold as 'second hand' (pun intended) they are typically not priced the same as a 'new' diamond would be.

But LOL, I'd love to show him some big whopper, gorgeous antique cuts, priced in the $20K range! That would blow his mind! :mrgreen:

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Must be a pain to keep those old stones around. :naughty: Since they're unwanted, I'd be willing to relieve Lang's of this burdensome 7.92 ct OEC...

Would a $126,500.00 price tag be sufficiently mind-blowing?

1240250323_7.92_Carat_European_Cut_Diamond_Engagement_Ring_Main_View10-1-2428.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Ninama|1304472907|2911703 said:
Must be a pain to keep those old stones around. :naughty: Since they're unwanted, I'd be willing to relieve Lang's of this burdensome 7.92 ct OEC...

Would a $126,500.00 price tag be sufficiently mind-blowing?

Well, I don't know about him, but it blew my mind! :-o Thanks for sharing that pic, I may not even need coffee now, my heart is beating faster after seeing this! :appl:

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann|1304505973|2911895 said:
Well, I don't know about him, but it blew my mind! :-o Thanks for sharing that pic, I may not even need coffee now, my heart is beating faster after seeing this! :appl:

Try coffee and looking at the pic at the same time :cheeky:

Gaaawd.... I am in love!

7.92_Carat_European_Cut_Diamond_Engagement_Ring_3_4_View_110-1-2428a.jpg

briolette

Shiny_Rock
*rightclick*save*
Seriously I could look at the ring all day long.
Wow, that's silly that someone would think that NOONE wants OEC's anymore. Such a silly generalization especially since there are even new stones cut to emulate old stones now.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Well, good! If that's the general attitude it means that they'll stay "underpriced," right? All the more for those of us with a clue. :love:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I don't like RBs over 3 cts but for OECs I make an exception. That stone is incredible!

tttt

Rough_Rock
since i've learned about the old cuts, i am in love with them. anyone who doesn't want, just throw them in my general direction! :)

tttt

Rough_Rock
and i meant throwing the diamonds, not the people! :tongue:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if only all those people selling jewellery on ebay still subscribed to this way of thinking, OECs wouldn't be matching modern RBs almost dollar for dollar or more like they have been for the past several months...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1304633499|2913347 said:
if only all those people selling jewellery on ebay still subscribed to this way of thinking, OECs wouldn't be matching modern RBs almost dollar for dollar or more like they have been for the past several months...

I wonder if it is pricescopers driving up those OEC prices... :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
GraceAva|1304421123|2910913 said:

Well, most local jewelers probably don't carry old cut stones because they are not as popular IRL as the round, princess, emerald, etc. So to him- then yes it's less valuable because people coming into his store don't look for those stones... but to many, many others those stones are more valuable!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results