shape
carat
color
clarity

Nick Lachey Files for Spousal Support!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Is this guy for real???
38.gif

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/newslink/13964/

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know why, but I find it funny. Maybe because during the whole Newlyweds show I ended up liking and having more respect for him than I did for her....who knows? Not that it has anything to do with this, but it's probably why I find it somewhat funny.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
why not?! women ask for it all the time, just because he's a man he shouldn't?

his star used to burn alot brighter than hers, some credit her marriage to HIM for giving her that time in the public's eye...yes she was talented but she wans't as marketable as she was now, so in a way some could attribute her getting her chance at fame to hooking up and being tied to him for a while. now of course he's not as popular and it's vice versa...

he's probably just trying to sock it to her since he didn't want her to end their marriage in the first place. he's better off without her but i always thought they were cute (before all the drama!).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 9:51:10 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I don''t know why, but I find it funny. Maybe because during the whole Newlyweds show I ended up liking and having more respect for him than I did for her....who knows?
Me too FG!! I really liked him and felt he had to put up with a lot from her. But spousal support??? This will be interesting.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
All I could think when I saw it was, where is his pride?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 9:51:10 PM
Author: FireGoddess
during the whole Newlyweds show I ended up liking and having more respect for him than I did for her.

ME TOO. I can''t stand her pouty dumb act. If it IS an act. And that creepy father. She''s probably supporting HIM too.

Side note: did anyone see Nick on Dancing w/ The Stars tonight ... gone Botox crazy much???

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Mara...women do it all the time, but it is a bit strange...in a good way. Jessica is somewhat talented, yes, but she wouldn''t have had as much exposure without Nick...I hope he gets the support actually...

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don''t see anything wrong with it. I hope he gets the support. Just because he is a man, doesn''t mean that he shouldn''t get to file when women do it all the tme.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always felt bad for Nick because he''s had to deal with weirdo Papa Simpson. Kudos to Nick for putting up with big daddy for so long. He just seems to me like a nice guy from the Midwest who did really well for himself, while she''s turned into a sell-out so many times as the puppet child of her parents (i.e. she was being groomed to be a Christian rock artist, then her dad says her boobs were too big so she couldn''t do that anymore...then as soon as she gets married it''s ok for her to go into all out hoochie mode?)

The Simpsons sure jumped onto the Britney Spears-turn-your-daughter-into-a-ho-and-sell-more-records bandwagon. Pretty sad that Jessica seemed to have a promising career in Christian rock and then daddy got way greedy. (Thank you E! channel for the wealth of knowledge on the Simpsons, lol)

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 11:03:26 PM
Author: DeannaBana
I agree with Mara...women do it all the time, but it is a bit strange...in a good way. Jessica is somewhat talented, yes, but she wouldn''t have had as much exposure without Nick...I hope he gets the support actually...

~~I agree... I like Jessica, but I like Nick a lot more, and I think he should get alimony, after all, isn''t it the law??
33.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha SDL "grow a sack"! That was too cute/funny! I love your sass!
emotion-20.gif
36.gif
35.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little surprised at some comments - which are just blatently sexist!

I'm fairly certain he's not made a quarter of the money she has since they married.
She made a lot of that money from fame gleaned from Newlyweds - which was a joint project.
He supported her emotionally and otherwise, putting his own career on the backburner
while her star was rising.
He deserves the same thing a woman in her position would deserve, alimony - plain and simple.
I say good for him; he seems entitled to it.

Scintillating...

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I just have to add my .02 here. I was really torn when they announced "their" split. I think everyone knew it was all her wanting the divorce. I think he deserves the money for several reasons. 1. Just for putting up with her dad''s crap. 2.Having to deal with her friend cacee cobb living with them forever and listening to their love life through the walls. 3. For having to watch the love of his life turn into a dumb, pouty acting boob! I think that he meant every word in his song to her, the one that plays at the begining of Newlyweds (can''t think of the name right now). I think this truly was the love of his life, he didn''t care about money or how famous they were, he wanted to have a wife and mother of his children. I think he got robbed in all respects. I don''t even blame Jessica, I blame her father. I think her father is some sort of freak that has a sick fixation on her. I will get off my soap box now, sorry for the rant, but I felt like voicing my opinions. Now if you were to tell me Kevin Federline wanted the support I would tell him to go get bent, he is just a money hungry piece o'' poop!
31.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Just as in every divorce, we do not know all the reasons or what actually happened during their marriage. What you saw on Newlywed show was for entertainment purposes, dont'' believe that was their entire "real" life. It was acting for the cameras. He was totally capable of working while she was. I assume they each shared equally of what was made on their show. If he didn''t record or work during the time she was, that was his decision or because no one asked him to. Either way, they each have more than enough money to live on. I would think the settlement, without a prenup means 50-50 in CA right? They also have sold their home, so I''m assuming he pocketed a little from that. How much does he need? It''s not like he needs the cash to put a deposit on an apartment or feed and clothe children or buy a car or so he can go to work now is it? My DH also said, where is this guy''s pride?

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I think what pride he has is hurt right now. She went from a virgin bride to a skanky party girl who stayed drunk and cheated on him. She don''t care to spend millions on frivolous items for herself. Now she has to pay the piper. In the begining, he was the more popular one so he did boost her career I think. I wonder what her views on sex are now? Is she going to ''save'' herself again?? I doubt it.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Legally speakiing, any money that the two of them made while married to each other should be split right down the middle. It''s obvious that Jessica made a lot more so there should be a lot to go around. Also when they finalize there divorce he shouldn''t have to ever work again.

Funny thing is that I use to like him a lot more than Jessica because she came across as such a brat but now that he wants spousal support pleaseeeeeeeeeee! He should be working on getting his
38.gif
singing career back on track instead of trying being a kept man by his younger wife!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
'Where is this guy's pride?'

That's an interesting comment, when do you EVER see anyone say something like that about the WOMAN who asks for spousal support? Why is it that a woman is entitled to ask for it but a man has to 'grow a sack' (how nice) or has no pride for asking for it. Who knows what his reasons are, maybe he is just hurt and wants to sock it to her, but if this was a woman left by her husband and asking for spousal support and he was a rich celebrity and she had 'stood by him' and been faithful or whatever (insert cliche here!)...I can almost guarantee the tune in this thread would be very different.

Of course we don't know what happened in their marriage but everything I read said that he was devastated and begged her to not file yet, he wanted to work it out. He is a midwestern good ole' boy who was in love with a girl and wanted a family. She totally changed (visible to EVERYONE even us who don't even know her) during the time they were married and so many friends of theirs said that she was just a different person and they didn't even know each other anymore. How sad!

But above and beyond that, I think he's entitled to ask for it just like a woman would be entitled and other women would probably cheer her on. The judge can only say no.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 12:55:57 PM
Author: Mara
''Where is this guy''s pride?''

That''s an interesting comment, when do you EVER see anyone say something like that about the WOMAN who asks for spousal support? Why is it that a woman is entitled to ask for it but a man has to ''grow a sack'' (how nice) or has no pride for asking for it. Who knows what his reasons are, maybe he is just hurt and wants to sock it to her, but if this was a woman left by her husband and asking for spousal support and he was a rich celebrity and she had ''stood by him'' and been faithful or whatever (insert cliche here!)...I can almost guarantee the tune in this thread would be very different.

Of course we don''t know what happened in their marriage but everything I read said that he was devastated and begged her to not file yet, he wanted to work it out. He is a midwestern good ole'' boy who was in love with a girl and wanted a family. She totally changed (visible to EVERYONE even us who don''t even know her) during the time they were married and so many friends of theirs said that she was just a different person and they didn''t even know each other anymore. How sad!

But above and beyond that, I think he''s entitled to ask for it just like a woman would be entitled and other women would probably cheer her on. The judge can only say no.
Amen, sister! I couldn''t agree more with every word you said!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope he gets it. I agree that their jump to superstardom was due to the Newlyweds and her career would not be where it is w/out him. We can only speculate "what if''s" if they had never married. He did sacrifice a lot for her and supported her in her decisions.
I don''t think he''s get support for life. It''s not like a child where you pay until they are 18. It''s something like equal to the time they have been married. 50/50 is fair split and her paying him something back for the work she got and continues to get, i.e. pizza hut residuals, record sales with songs dedicated to him, her make-up/dessert line, he was involved in all of it. Who cares how much he''s got or was left with. I guess hubby would have no pride b/c when I told him, he laughed and said good for him..

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I agree with you 100%.

I always was under the impression (during the show) that he loved her a lot more than she loved him. I''m not sure what he was to her, but she didn''t react to him like the love of her life. Call me old fashion, but you try to work through your problems with the love of your life...

Lyrics to "My Everything"

Artist: 98 Degrees Lyrics
Song: My Everything Lyrics

MP3 Downloads

Click here to send 98 Degrees polyphonic ringtone to your cell phone.
The loneliness of nights alone
the search for strength to carry on
my every hope has seemed to die
my eyes had no more tears to cry
then like the sun shining up above
you surrounded me with your endless love
Coz all the things I couldn''t see are now so clear to me

You are my everything
Nothing your love won''t bring
My life is yours alone
The only love I''ve ever known
Your spirit pulls me through
When nothing else will do
Every night I pray
On bended knee
That you will always be
My everything
Now all my hopes and all my dreams
are suddenly reality
you''ve opened up my heart to feel
a kind of love that''s truly real
a guiding light that''ll never fade
there''s not a thing in life that I would ever trade
for the love you give it won''t let go
I hope you''ll always know
You are my everything
Nothing your love won''t bring
My life is yours alone
Your spirit pulls me through
When nothing else will do
Every night I pray
On bended knee
That you will always be
My everything
You''re the breath of life in me
the only one that sets me free
and you have made my soul complete
for all time (for all time)
You are my everything (you are my everything)
Nothing your love won''t bring (nothing your love won''t bring)
My life is yours alone (alone)
Your spirit pulls me through (your spirit pulls me through)
When nothing else will do (when nothing else will do)
Every night I pray (I pray)
On bended knee (on my knee)
That you will always be
be my everything

chorus repeats

[almost spoken:] Every night I pray
down on bended knee
that you will always be
my everything
oh my everything

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 12:55:57 PM
''Where is this guy''s pride?''

That''s an interesting comment, when do you EVER see anyone say something like that about the WOMAN who asks for spousal support? Why is it that a woman is entitled to ask for it but a man has to ''grow a sack'' (how nice) or has no pride for asking for it. Who knows what his reasons are, maybe he is just hurt and wants to sock it to her, but if this was a woman left by her husband and asking for spousal support and he was a rich celebrity and she had ''stood by him'' and been faithful or whatever (insert cliche here!)...I can almost guarantee the tune in this thread would be very different.

Of course we don''t know what happened in their marriage but everything I read said that he was devastated and begged her to not file yet, he wanted to work it out. He is a midwestern good ole'' boy who was in love with a girl and wanted a family. She totally changed (visible to EVERYONE even us who don''t even know her) during the time they were married and so many friends of theirs said that she was just a different person and they didn''t even know each other anymore. How sad!

But above and beyond that, I think he''s entitled to ask for it just like a woman would be entitled and other women would probably cheer her on. The judge can only say no.
Wow! For the first time ever I have to say I completely agree with Mara!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I believe in child support, but not necessarily in spousal support unless the spouse has been home caring for children full time and isn''t prepared to go right back to work. Being hurt and wanting revenge is a horrible reason to do anything. As I said in my last post, he was perfectly capable of making money while they were married since they really had no restrictions to that such as children. He or they made the choice so why is it she "owes" him anything? Apparently no one was knocking down his door to get him to work for them, so why is that anyone''s fault except his? These are not your average income couples who cannot afford to get started again. Spousal support is supposed to be about getting back on your feet, not seeking revenge or screwing the other person because you''re hurt or angry. That would just be immature.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Why is it then that no one bats an eyelash when a millionaire''s wife asks for spousal support? Surely she will have enough money to live comfortably by herself if she had a career before she married. Why do so many ex-wives of doctors and lawyers want a sizeable chunk of the fortune that their husbands made after they supported them through med and law school? I think that they are entitled. Spousal support and child support are separate issues. I don''t think because a marriage produced no children that a partner should necessarily be completely cut off. Sure Nick Lachey is wealthy without Jessica but I think that the size of the fortune is relative. I think that part of the reason that Jessica Simpson went from being just a teen queen to a mega-star was her relationship with Nick Lachey and the TV series that they starred in together. That MTV series and all of the endorsements and movie roles that it spawned for her would not have have come about if not for their marriage. How much attention did she get from the whole "Chicken of the Sea" conversation alone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 4:52:35 PM
Author: pearcrazy
Why is it then that no one bats an eyelash when a millionaire''s wife asks for spousal support? Surely she will have enough money to live comfortably by herself if she had a career before she married. Why do so many ex-wives of doctors and lawyers want a sizeable chunk of the fortune that their husbands made after they supported them through med and law school? I think that they are entitled. Spousal support and child support are separate issues. I don''t think because a marriage produced no children that a partner should necessarily be completely cut off. Sure Nick Lachey is wealthy without Jessica but I think that the size of the fortune is relative. I think that part of the reason that Jessica Simpson went from being just a teen queen to a mega-star was her relationship with Nick Lachey and the TV series that they starred in together. That MTV series and all of the endorsements and movie roles that it spawned for her would not have have come about if not for their marriage. How much attention did she get from the whole ''Chicken of the Sea'' conversation alone?
Now it''s my turn to agree with you PC...
31.gif

Whether it''s ''right'' or not or what motivated him to ask...I don''t think that his manhood or lack of pride is relevant to it. What''s good for the goose is good for the gander?

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
That''s why in this era of no-fault divorce assets are split 50-50 so each gets half of the assets. That isn''t spousal support, it''s half of the assets. Pushing the spousal support comes across as revenge as does what I just read. Nick is asking for jewelry back as well as some assets from after the separation. We''re also not discussing the general population here. This is about two people who had substantial careers before they married which continued through the marriage. For those of you that believe in prenups or fought for them on the other thread you ought to be outraged that they didn''t "protect" themselves from each other. I guess in my years of experience I have only seen one divorce that was this nasty and in that case (family) the person who left fought tooth and nail not to give his ex anything even though they agreed she would be a stay at home mom. It''s been totally about revenge and that''s just so immature and petty that I see this as the same situation. Vengeance is pathetic.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 2:28:07 AM
Author: bling*diva*
Date: 2/17/2006 11:03:26 PM

Author: DeannaBana

~~I agree... I like Jessica, but I like Nick a lot more, and I think he should get alimony, after all, isn''t it the law??
33.gif

I agree. I honestly believe he helped her fame with "newlyweds." He deserves part of her rewards. I don''t know that much about divorice but probably most are messy, why should it be any different for celebs? I think if roles were reversed and Jessica was seeking alimony nobody would think twice (which is kind of sad).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
" I guess in my years of experience I have only seen one divorce that was this nasty.."

MO2...I didn't know you were a divorce lawyer.

I don't think WE as the general reading public know how 'nasty' this is or not...but my whole point of the original post was to say that I think it's ridiculous to say he doesn't have pride or balls just because he is asking for spousal support. I don't care who is right or wrong in the situation, but he has a RIGHT to ask for it if he feels he deserves it. I don't think that makes him anything but...what it is....which is asking for spousal support.

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
wow - lots of response on this topic!!

I have to say that I agree with Mara on this one. Nick definitely has the right to ask.
Hell - if I was the judge I would grant it to him just for putting up with her dumb @ss for so long.
(not to mention her sister, her live-in friend, her creepy father)

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
well......I think between the 2 of them they have more money than they''ll ever need, and more than any of us could wish for.....split it down the middle 50/ 50, and be done with it.

it seems like this is just more drama for the tabloids to report, and for we the public to talk about....frankly, I was so sick of their crap last yr when it was in every mag that they were separating.....

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 5:18:43 PM
'' I guess in my years of experience I have only seen one divorce that was this nasty..''

MO2...I didn''t know you were a divorce lawyer.

I don''t think WE as the general reading public know how ''nasty'' this is or not...but my whole point of the original post was to say that I think it''s ridiculous to say he doesn''t have pride or balls just because he is asking for spousal support. I don''t care who is right or wrong in the situation, but he has a RIGHT to ask for it if he feels he deserves it. I don''t think that makes him anything but...what it is....which is asking for spousal support.
Did I say experience as a divorce lawyer? Do not paraphrase or presume to know about me. My personal experience is what I was referencing. Geesh!! You seem to have lots of opinions on many topics on PS, and how much personal experience do you have in each of them? My happy marriage and experience with many friends and family''s marriages and a few divorces is where my life experience comes in. Jetmal, I agree with you. It''s utterly ridiculous. I have no use for them either. They''re both spoiled celebrities who do not live in the real world and I think the whole idea should bother people who feel there are bigger more important social issues. The whole point I was making was he does not need the money and it comes across as petty and vindictive. No matter the reason for their divorce and plenty of people seem to think they know, it appears nasty when they get so petty. It''s really all about publicity. Remember, celebrities think there''s no such thing as bad publicity.

I never once said he didnt'' have the RIGHT to do what he did, just how I feel about it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results