shape
carat
color
clarity

Newly Cut OECs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,

So I have recently fallen in love with the Old European Cut and am hoping to look for one within a year or so as an anniversary upgrade (here''s to me hoping!). I am a sucker for antiques of all types and antique jewelry is one of my favorite things. I saw some beautiful OECs on here that were used for engagement rings, both in modern and antique settings. But in all the cases I believe that the diamond itself was an antique as well. I''m wondering if there are any vendors that cut new stones into OECs or OMCs. Thanks for your help!

*M*

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sure there are, but I think they are not available as ''new stones''.

I think they become antique and worth more as soon as they are cut.

I think there might be a lot more antiques now than there was jewellery in total 100 or more years ago.

Some Spanish ''antique'' gold brooches and earrings are probably better than the real thing, so how bad a crime that is I am not quite sure?
20.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your response Garry! What you are saying makes a lot of sense, but sure makes it more difficult to track them down, doesn''t it? Personally, I think OECs and OMCs should be offered as "new antique style cuts" or something, so at least people would know if they are getting something newer or something older.

*M*

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Who in their right mind will sell something as new when they can get more for it selling it as old?

You probably need to just find an ''old'' stone (knowing it might be new) that you like
28.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 12:54:37 AM
Author: poptart
Thanks for your response Garry! What you are saying makes a lot of sense, but sure makes it more difficult to track them down, doesn''t it? Personally, I think OECs and OMCs should be offered as ''new antique style cuts'' or something, so at least people would know if they are getting something newer or something older.

*M*
I got a new OMC cut stone.... it is listed on the GIA cert as "old mine brilliant" - and I suppose it is a bit different in that it has rather long LGF for an OMC.

If I were looking for a newly cut OEC I would look for a modern round brilliant BUT I would look for something with a VERY high crown angle, a TINY table, and very SHORT LGF. Also I would approach someone like Jon who would understand what you wer elooking for and maybe be able to point you in a certain direction.... I''d take an antique, esp if it could be polished up and not recut!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 3:00:45 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Thanks for your response Garry! What you are saying makes a lot of sense, but sure makes it more difficult to track them down, doesn''t it? Personally, I think OECs and OMCs should be offered as ''new antique style cuts'' or something, so at least people would know if they are getting something newer or something older.

*M*
I got a new OMC cut stone.... it is listed on the GIA cert as ''old mine brilliant'' - and I suppose it is a bit different in that it has rather long LGF for an OMC.

If I were looking for a newly cut OEC I would look for a modern round brilliant BUT I would look for something with a VERY high crown angle, a TINY table, and very SHORT LGF. Also I would approach someone like Jon who would understand what you wer elooking for and maybe be able to point you in a certain direction.... I''d take an antique, esp if it could be polished up and not recut!
Thanks for that advice! I hadn''t even thought of that. Although I was under the impression that the internal facets would make a different pattern than a round brilliant. Hopefully this makes sense. Um, how else can I say it? Like the hearts and arrows diamonds have arrows that are visible, and I''ve noticed that OECs also have a unique star pattern that are visible in certain lightings as well. I hope that clarified what I''m saying, clearly I do NOT know the right lingo, haha.

*M*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 3:39:15 PM

Date: 11/27/2006 3:00:45 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

*M*
I got a new OMC cut stone.... it is listed on the GIA cert as ''old mine brilliant'' - and I suppose it is a bit different in that it has rather long LGF for an OMC.

Thanks for that advice! I hadn''t even thought of that. Although I was under the impression that the internal facets would make a different pattern than a round brilliant. Hopefully this makes sense. Um, how else can I say it? Like the hearts and arrows diamonds have arrows that are visible, and I''ve noticed that OECs also have a unique star pattern that are visible in certain lightings as well. I hope that clarified what I''m saying, clearly I do NOT know the right lingo, haha.

*M*
you are correct - ask john from whiteflash or one of the other guys to post some pics showing the different h&a patterns for different girdle facet lengths... vs an OEC. They have the same number of facets if you include the culet. Or do a search here on LGF.... there are a few differences between a traditional oec and a modern rb but one of them is crown height/angle and one is lgf - I think on oec the lgf is like 30% (guessing) where a rb is 75-85 usually. that''s what makes a rb look splintery when you look in the table and an oec look chunky. You can find lgf at 75 fairly easily and they make a chunkier looking rb but not as much as an oec. I don''t know how low you can find with the lgf but it''s worth asking!!

I wish some of the guys would do heliums on some old stones so that we can find out what the best of the best of the old cuts have to offer - like facet fire - I *wish* she''d gotten a scan before she''d had it mounted.... I

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I''m glad you understood what I was trying to say. And facetfire''s ring is GORGEOUS, and honestly one of the main reasons I fell in love with that cut. I''m trying to find places to actually see how an OEC and antique setting looks on my childlike hands, haha. I don''t have the best ring fingers, that''s for sure. I will look into the LGF as you suggested. Thanks again!

*M*

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw one at a family store that had alot of estate items. It was too yellow for my taste. Otherwise I LOVED the faceting.

It looked alot like a checkerboard pattern to me. Does that make sense? Is that what you see too Cehra?

So maybe you should do a jewelry store tour through towns with a large wealthy elderly population whose kids don''t like the OEC cut? Really I''m only joking a little bit! There are certain counties in the US where I think you might be more likely to find an old OEC. Of course the color issue might be a problem for you. Then you''d need to look for "new" stones.

And there are websites that list antique stones too. But a tour would be fun.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
A jewelry tour would be AWESOME... hmmm.... thinking, thinking.... haha. Yea, color will definitely be an issue for me because me and yellow tinted diamonds don''t hit it off so well. I have one very favorite antique dealer here in my area, but they don''t carry much antique jewelry... and trust me I LOOKED. So I guess I will have to keep scouring. I too love that checkerboard faceting and that star that you can see under certain lightings. I''m giving myself a LOT of time on this so I can find something that I really like. I''m kind of hoping this will turn into a long term project.

*M*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 10:30:31 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Saw one at a family store that had alot of estate items. It was too yellow for my taste. Otherwise I LOVED the faceting.

It looked alot like a checkerboard pattern to me. Does that make sense? Is that what you see too Cehra?

So maybe you should do a jewelry store tour through towns with a large wealthy elderly population whose kids don''t like the OEC cut? Really I''m only joking a little bit! There are certain counties in the US where I think you might be more likely to find an old OEC. Of course the color issue might be a problem for you. Then you''d need to look for ''new'' stones.

And there are websites that list antique stones too. But a tour would be fun.
kinda - I just saw a 2 carat one and it had a larger culet than facet fire''s so it didn''t have as much of a checkerboard as a pinwheel effect to me. color wouldn''t be an issue for me... I really don''t care what color a diamond is if it has gorgeous facets and is super clear!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is something a little funny.

On this thread and topic it is likely people prefer the idea of an antique pre owned and loved heirloom diamond. the real thing.

On this thread people prefer new never used diamonds.

Human beings are an endless source of amusement

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Of course I will take an old or new beautiful diamond any day, but something about those old cuts and the fact that they have a history makes them have so much more character. It''s kind of like buying a neat old house that has a special feel to it, or a nice antique piece that has lasted throughout the years.

*M*

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What about my dear wife?

Date: 11/28/2006 1:26:21 AM
and the fact that they have a history makes them have so much more character. It''s kind of like buying a neat old house that has a special feel to it, or a nice antique piece that has lasted throughout the years.

*M*
She has lasted pretty well too. And like a neat old house that .......

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 1:49:59 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
What about my dear wife?

Date: 11/28/2006 1:26:21 AM
and the fact that they have a history makes them have so much more character. It''s kind of like buying a neat old house that has a special feel to it, or a nice antique piece that has lasted throughout the years.

*M*
She has lasted pretty well too. And like a neat old house that .......
Haha! Too funny! I''m glad that your wife is holding up so well. A funny thing our photographer said at the engagement pictures, that luckily we would have these pictures to remember what we looked like when we were young and beautiful. Apparently this doesn''t last??
32.gif
(haha) I hope to age gracefully, like a fine wine... or a nice antique diamond
9.gif

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results