shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie with lots of questions (cushion diamond, setting)

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I've been reading around and started my search maybe a month ago. This is a big purchase for me and I'm a bit of a picky shopper by nature so this should be interesting.

Things that I know for sure is that it must be a a cushion cut. I don't think I'm terribly concerned with getting a absolutely high grade stone (VVS, D-F) but more likely looking at a G-I and a VS. As such I have 20k burning a hole in my pocket (including the setting).

Before jumping into the diamond talk... If I buy a loose diamond online, is it fairly easy to get the perfect setting from someone afterwards? I'd preferably like to do a split prong, pave, with halo. or even a pave with halo. Split prong would be icing on the cake but each one I've found online has had a little thing wrong that turned me off from it. Advice here is much appreciated.

Onto the goods... I've checked the usual suspects. BlueNile, GOG, and JamesAllen. Of note, I can make it into the diamond district in NYC so am I wasting my time online? I just feel a stigma of shadiness when I think about taking a trip there. Should I?

My current cushion contenders are the following:

#1.... $17,580
Carat weight: 2.40
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 67.7%
Table: 55.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.50*7.55*5.11
Ratio: 1.13

#2.... $16,203.00
Carat : 2.3
Clarity : VS2
Color : I
Measurements: 7.76 x 7.4 x 4.83
Depth: 65.3
Table: 60%
Symmetry: Very good
Fluorescence: N

#3.... $19,553 (or $19,260 bank wire)
Carat weight: 2.38
Cut: Very Good
Clarity: VVS1
Depth %: 66.4%
Table %: 56%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: Medium
Measurements: 8.63 x 7.66 x 5.09 mm
LW ratio: 1.13

#4.... $16,024 (or $15,784 bank wire)
Carat weight: 2.30
Cut: Very Good
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 65.9%
Table %: 64%
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to Thick
Culet: None
Measurements: 7.40 x 7.40 x 4.88 mm
L/W ratio: 1

There is also a GOG contender (I see people love their documentation, etc.) but for a little over 20,000 they have a 2.02 I, VS2. To me, I'm not sure how I can justify the price increase over the above for less carat with seemingly similar characteristics.

Any thoughts? Things that I should look for to help me decide?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

Do you have pictures of all of the contenders? it is impossible to judge a cushion without images.

this video might be helpful in narrowing down the type of cushion you are looking for
http://vimeo.com/7579666

as far as settings, I would pick the stone first, and then the setting. If you can't find exactly what you like online, many vendors can make small changes. Also, what is your budget for the setting?

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
I only have the diagrams and stuff for 1,3,4. 3 and 4 are BN's. 2 is on www.exceldiamonds.com and apparently they don't have any pictures :confused:

r40Wu.jpg

R4oJS.jpg

None yet.

A0TEx.jpg

ZoFGq.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results