shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Ready to purchase! Can''t decide which diamond..pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

Thanks for a great site that has helped many like me! I have learned a lot from lurking on this forum over the last few weeks and am ready to make the purchase to surprise my gf. I have decided to purchase the stone and setting from WF. She wants a princess cut diamond, so I have been looking at WF's ACA line, but there isn't a lot of select of those at the moment(all low .7 carats). So I have been looking at their expert princess cut diamonds. I have found 2 that would work with in my budget. BTW, I would like to purpose on 3/2.

The first one 0.722 ct G VS1 Princess - the diamond looks great and the ideal scope and ASET look great I think!
https://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1204601.htm

The second one 1.06 ct I VS1 Princess - I don't think this diamond looks as good as the other in the Ideal scope or the ASET scope, but it doesn't look terrible.
https://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1231738.htm

Here is the setting I am going to put the diamond in...
https://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1231738.htmhttp://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Flush-Fit--Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1063.htm

I just can't decide which stone would be best. My gf is fairly petite(5'4", <110 lbs), and her finger size is a 5. She is not a huge jewelry person, but I know she would love a nice ring and diamond. I am afraid that .722 would not be big enough on a size 5(maybe it would look huge??) and that I should go with the 1.06. My worries on the 1.06 is the I color. I would like a whiter diamond and am worried that the diamond might appear dirty, but the diamond does look good from the pictures.

Taking into consideration her size and the diamonds, which do you think is the better choice??

Thanks for all the help!

Ron

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 12:58:31 AM
Author:ron_c
Hi All!

Thanks for a great site that has helped many like me! I have learned a lot from lurking on this forum over the last few weeks and am ready to make the purchase to surprise my gf. I have decided to purchase the stone and setting from WF. She wants a princess cut diamond, so I have been looking at WF's ACA line, but there isn't a lot of select of those at the moment(all low .7 carats). So I have been looking at their expert princess cut diamonds. I have found 2 that would work with in my budget. BTW, I would like to purpose on 3/2.

The first one 0.722 ct G VS1 Princess - the diamond looks great and the ideal scope and ASET look great I think!
https://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1204601.htm

The second one 1.06 ct I VS1 Princess - I don't think this diamond looks as good as the other in the Ideal scope or the ASET scope, but it doesn't look terrible.
https://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1231738.htm

Here is the setting I am going to put the diamond in...
https://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1231738.htmhttp://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Flush-Fit--Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1063.htm

I just can't decide which stone would be best. My gf is fairly petite(5'4', <110 lbs), and her finger size is a 5. She is not a huge jewelry person, but I know she would love a nice ring and diamond. I am afraid that .722 would not be big enough on a size 5(maybe it would look huge??) and that I should go with the 1.06. My worries on the 1.06 is the I color. I would like a whiter diamond and am worried that the diamond might appear dirty, but the diamond does look good from the pictures.

Taking into consideration her size and the diamonds, which do you think is the better choice??

Thanks for all the help!

Ron
Hi Ron and welcome!

The first diamond appears to have the edge where cut quality is concerned but the I colour is certainly no slouch! Also an I colour will not look in any way yellow or ' dirty' so I wouldn't worry about that - but check out the colour with WF should you decide to go with it as they will be able to give you a good idea of how well this diamond' faces up' whiteness wise. With the first diamond, just check with them that the very thin portion of the girdle isn't an issue, this isn't always the case especially with a hand selected diamond, but check anyway for peace of mind. So it depends on budget and whether you think your girl would prefer to get over a full carat with the I, or the better cut G which is smaller.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Wow! That I princess in the link is bling! Very nice. That relieves my worries about color(I will still check with WF though). What about the cut of the I? Cut is very important as I was the diamond to have a nice sparkle to it. I think it is obvious that the smaller diamond has the better cut, but is the cut on the I bad? Or how much worse from the G is it? Also, if I can WF, can they do a comparison on color and cut for me?

Thanks for all the help!!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 9:36:06 AM
Author: ron_c
Ok...I am going to throw another one into the mix here....

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1231736.htm#

1 ct F SI2

Thoughts??

Thanks!
The G appears to be the best cut, like I said the I is still well cut and the one you linked above looks good - so I would rank these as the G first, then the other two, so it depends on your preferences ( to include precision of cut) as to which you pick. With the diamond above, make sure it is eyeclean to your standards by checking with WF.

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Should I be concerned by what seems to be a rather large feather in GIA report of the 1CT F SI2? Even if it is eye-clean, would this be something to avoid?

Thanks!,
Ron

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 11:24:15 AM
Thanks! Should I be concerned by what seems to be a rather large feather in GIA report of the 1CT F SI2? Even if it is eye-clean, would this be something to avoid?

Thanks!,
Ron
Not necessarily, check it out with WF and they will be completely honest with you, feathers aren't always a problem even in the lower clarities but they will let you know if it is suitable for your purposes.

And you are very welcome!

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Well, I called WF and spoke with Tracy. I walked her through the 3 diamonds and she went over the pro''s and con''s of each. In the end, she said she would choose the 1ct F that I posted as the 3rd diamond. It had a SI2 for clarity, but most of the trouble was not on the table and could not be seen from the face. According to her, it is eye-clean. She said that the feathering would not be an issue. So, I think that is the diamond I will be getting! :)

I have to say that Tracy was very helpful and patient with all my questions. She even sent me an image of the same setting and size/cut of diamond I am looking at to give me perspective of how it would look! That gives me great peace of mind when the time comes to pull the trigger on this transaction.

Thank you all for helping out a newbie!
36.gif

Ron

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 3:43:12 PM
Well, I called WF and spoke with Tracy. I walked her through the 3 diamonds and she went over the pro's and con's of each. In the end, she said she would choose the 1ct F that I posted as the 3rd diamond. It had a SI2 for clarity, but most of the trouble was not on the table and could not be seen from the face. According to her, it is eye-clean. She said that the feathering would not be an issue. So, I think that is the diamond I will be getting! :)

I have to say that Tracy was very helpful and patient with all my questions. She even sent me an image of the same setting and size/cut of diamond I am looking at to give me perspective of how it would look! That gives me great peace of mind when the time comes to pull the trigger on this transaction.

36.gif

Ron
Sounds great and very glad to help you!!!

Make sure you quickly reserve that diamond to prevent it being grabbed by lurkers, it happens a lot these days.

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,
Thanks! How would you reserve it other than purchasing it??

Thanks!

Ron

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 3:57:55 PM
Lorelei,
Thanks! How would you reserve it other than purchasing it??

Thanks!

Ron
Just contact WF and ask them to put the diamond on hold for you, this should not be a problem and it will give you a little time to think about it without fear it will get swiped!

lisametoo

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! Just joined this site, and cannot wait to give my opinion. Been in the bus. since 1980 and have seen thousands of diamonds, and was working for a retailer who was one of the first to carry HOF back in 1996. To the Newbie, I would go with the 1.06ct. For only $40 more you are getting a really nice measurement, and no question about the clarity. She might be able to see that feather from the Pavillion on the 1.00ct, because she will be examining it from ALL POINTS! F color is nice, but having the great measurements, beautiful purity of the VS, and being able to say, "Its a little over a carat", is a big bang for your bucks. Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 4:18:03 PM
Author: lisametoo
Hi Everyone! Just joined this site, and cannot wait to give my opinion. Been in the bus. since 1980 and have seen thousands of diamonds, and was working for a retailer who was one of the first to carry HOF back in 1996. To the Newbie, I would go with the 1.06ct. For only $40 more you are getting a really nice measurement, and no question about the clarity. She might be able to see that feather from the Pavillion on the 1.00ct, because she will be examining it from ALL POINTS! F color is nice, but having the great measurements, beautiful purity of the VS, and being able to say, 'Its a little over a carat', is a big bang for your bucks. Good luck!
Welcome Lisa!

Good to have you with us! It would seem our poster has already made his choice -you might notice a lot of SI diamonds being discussed here as many PSers have beautiful eyeclean SI clarity diamonds even down to SI2, some want VS but SI are very popular, and we are very used to advising people on how to check these clarities are eyeclean to their standards and the PS vendors are also very used to advising in this capacity.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:43:12 PM
Well, I called WF and spoke with Tracy. I walked her through the 3 diamonds and she went over the pro''s and con''s of each. In the end, she said she would choose the 1ct F that I posted as the 3rd diamond. It had a SI2 for clarity, but most of the trouble was not on the table and could not be seen from the face. According to her, it is eye-clean. She said that the feathering would not be an issue. So, I think that is the diamond I will be getting! :)

36.gif

Ron
Yay! Let us know how it goes.

And you''re welcome!

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Friday afternoon, Juli called me back(after I talked with Tracy) and I went over the diamonds with Juli to see what she thought. See also agreed that the F color diamond with the SI2 feather was the best choice. She said the only reason it is a SI2 is because due to the size of the feather, it has to be classified as a SI2. She said at 40x, she could maybe see where the feathering might be(she is a trained eye and knows where the flaw is, so that made me feel better). She wanted to make sure though, so she had the diamond pulled to be inspected. They called me back in less than 1 hour and let me know the stone is totally eye clean and a very, very nicely cut stone. She said that it is a great value due to the eye-clean SI2. Juli also let me know that someone had also called on that diamond earlier in the morning on Friday. I took the advise of others and reserved the stone by placing an order. I hope to finalize the order in the next couple days. A 1ct princess will look appropriate on a size 5, correct?

Here is the picture they went out of their way to send me of my choice of setting and similar diamond they had on hand.(Sleek Line Pave with a 1ct Princess..picture is of 1ct E color). I will have to post pictures once I get it!

I am very excited and thanks again!

Ron

SleekLine3.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Nice choice of stone and beautiful setting! You couldn''t go wrong with any of those stones; as the other ladies said, the smaller G has the tightest cut, but the others are really well cut too. An eye-clean SI2 is a great money saver.

ron_c

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 11:17:04 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Nice choice of stone and beautiful setting! You couldn''t go wrong with any of those stones; as the other ladies said, the smaller G has the tightest cut, but the others are really well cut too. An eye-clean SI2 is a great money saver.
jstarfireb, thanks! I really liked the G color diamond also. I passed on it after Juli told me that the girdle was very thin and she would pass on it due to chances that it would chip. I never anticipated that choosing a diamond could be such a long, hard process! :)

Ron

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 11:34:29 PM

Date: 2/8/2009 11:17:04 PM
Author: jstarfireb
jstarfireb, thanks! I really liked the G color diamond also. I passed on it after Juli told me that the girdle was very thin and she would pass on it due to chances that it would chip. I never anticipated that choosing a diamond could be such a long, hard process! :)

Ron
Congrats Ron - I am really pleased for you and thats a smashing ring you have picked!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results