shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bpat

Rough_Rock
Hey guys new to the forum and just starting to figure some things out. One particular cut has caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on why the large price difference between these two diamonds...

Diamond 1 - More affordable

Diamond 2 - More expensive, better color, less clarity

Does color have that much weight on price? (Neither diamond fits into the D/E/F colorless range anyways). Also, is H an acceptable color?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:45:31 PM
Author:bpat
Hey guys new to the forum and just starting to figure some things out. One particular cut has caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on why the large price difference between these two diamonds...

Does color have that much weight on price? (Neither diamond fits into the D/E/F colorless range anyways). Also, is H an acceptable color?
H is more than acceptable for many people - less than acceptable for others. The clarity in both of these is overkill. I would stay in the VS range if clarity is important to you, but VVS and IF are really high unless you specifically want that. You won''t see anything with VS. G is kind of a sweet spot color... some start noticing a difference at H but a high H and a low G are pretty indistinguishable so there is that. I didn''t spend enough time there to figure out more of the price difference thing... but I would stick with G and lower your clarity... not a lot of princess choices there right now... yikes!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:55:59 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 3/6/2007 9:45:31 PM
Author:bpat

H is more than acceptable for many people - less than acceptable for others. The clarity in both of these is overkill. I would stay in the VS range if clarity is important to you, but VVS and IF are really high unless you specifically want that. You won''t see anything with VS. G is kind of a sweet spot color... some start noticing a difference at H but a high H and a low G are pretty indistinguishable so there is that. I didn''t spend enough time there to figure out more of the price difference thing... but I would stick with G and lower your clarity... not a lot of princess choices there right now... yikes!
Agree with what Cehrabehra says. Actually, I was about to work out the pattern of G consistently significantly higher than H with princesses, but then couldn''t find it, and gave up. Still, I agree, though tend to think in the case you''re pointing to, some extremes on prices may be at work.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go down in clarity. In a VS2 and even in some SI1 or SI2 stones you won''t see any inclusions without a loupe. I''d lower the clarity further and either increase the size of the stone, and/or the color of the stone. These are things that are ''more'' visible.

bpat

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for the great feedback, I am going to do some more shopping around and see if I can get more size and better color for similar money while sacrificing clarity a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Men In Pearls
    Men In Pearls
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Recovering Diamonds From The Depths
    Recovering Diamonds From The Depths

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.