shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bpat

Rough_Rock
Hey guys new to the forum and just starting to figure some things out. One particular cut has caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on why the large price difference between these two diamonds...

Diamond 1 - More affordable

Diamond 2 - More expensive, better color, less clarity

Does color have that much weight on price? (Neither diamond fits into the D/E/F colorless range anyways). Also, is H an acceptable color?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:45:31 PM
Author:bpat
Hey guys new to the forum and just starting to figure some things out. One particular cut has caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on why the large price difference between these two diamonds...

Does color have that much weight on price? (Neither diamond fits into the D/E/F colorless range anyways). Also, is H an acceptable color?
H is more than acceptable for many people - less than acceptable for others. The clarity in both of these is overkill. I would stay in the VS range if clarity is important to you, but VVS and IF are really high unless you specifically want that. You won''t see anything with VS. G is kind of a sweet spot color... some start noticing a difference at H but a high H and a low G are pretty indistinguishable so there is that. I didn''t spend enough time there to figure out more of the price difference thing... but I would stick with G and lower your clarity... not a lot of princess choices there right now... yikes!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:55:59 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 3/6/2007 9:45:31 PM
Author:bpat

H is more than acceptable for many people - less than acceptable for others. The clarity in both of these is overkill. I would stay in the VS range if clarity is important to you, but VVS and IF are really high unless you specifically want that. You won''t see anything with VS. G is kind of a sweet spot color... some start noticing a difference at H but a high H and a low G are pretty indistinguishable so there is that. I didn''t spend enough time there to figure out more of the price difference thing... but I would stick with G and lower your clarity... not a lot of princess choices there right now... yikes!
Agree with what Cehrabehra says. Actually, I was about to work out the pattern of G consistently significantly higher than H with princesses, but then couldn''t find it, and gave up. Still, I agree, though tend to think in the case you''re pointing to, some extremes on prices may be at work.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go down in clarity. In a VS2 and even in some SI1 or SI2 stones you won''t see any inclusions without a loupe. I''d lower the clarity further and either increase the size of the stone, and/or the color of the stone. These are things that are ''more'' visible.

bpat

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for the great feedback, I am going to do some more shopping around and see if I can get more size and better color for similar money while sacrificing clarity a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results