shape
carat
color
clarity

[Newbie Question] Yellow Diamond Decision!

hwm

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am a newbie on fancy colored diamond and would like to seek some help here (You all seem so knowledgeable!).

Basically I am trying to get my wife a yellow diamond ring (pear shape) and I am looking at the 3 diamonds below.
Could you guys let me know which one you prefer?

1. From Jamesallen
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...ear-shaped/0.75-carat-si2-clarity-sku-2073423
$2970, 0.75 ct, FDY, SI2, 8.74x4.85, Ratio is 1.80
(Table not very clean but not sure how noticeable it is in real life)

2. From David
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...fancy-yellow-si1-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r7266
$2595, 0.77 ct, FY, SI1, 7.33x4.36, Ratio is 1.68
(Is it a bow-tie?)

3. From Leibish
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-pear-22919
$2750, 0.66 ct, FY, VS1, 7.63x4.45, Ratio is 1.71, Medium Blue Fluorescence
(Not sure if the blue fluoresence will make the stone less yellow...)

I plan to set the stone in white gold without a yellow cupping so I think the color needs to be FY or up?
Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a Bright Yellow or Dark Yellow?

JA: Dark yellow but nice cut. The only concern is the location of the inclusion is smack dab on the table. You'll have to verify how eye clean it is. 12 inches away? 6 inches away?

DBL: Bright yellow but very light. Nice cut. Would prefer to see the diamond without it being backlit. I would request a more natural picture (on the hand).

Leibish: Nice diamond with the benefit of a video. I see some tilt window but probably isn't too bad in person. MBlue fluoro isn't something I would worry about.

If you plan to set it in white gold without any yellow to boost the colour, I would up the saturation of the diamond to be at least intense.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those 3, I like the DBL stone the best from what we can tell, but I personally would choose a chubbier pear than any of these.

hwm

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono and diamondseeker2006, thanks for replying :tongue:

For the color, since I don't plan to set the stone on a yellow cup, I am leaning towards to darker yellow but bright yellow is also ok.
Certainly intense yellow is a better choice, but since my budget is 3k only I found that it is a bit difficult to get a decent intense yellow diamond with size around 7.5 x 4

I do love the color of Jamesallen's stone but I am really worrying about inclusion on the table
I will ask David for more pictures but looks like Leibish's stone is the leading candidate for now

hwm

Rough_Rock
untitled_63.png
I have requested a face up picture from DBL, the picture is tiny but looks like the color isn't too light?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hwm|1478006716|4092621 said:
I have requested a face up picture from DBL, the picture is tiny but looks like the color isn't too light?
The picture is so tiny that it doesn't tell me anything. :lol: Colour-wise, Fancy is very light so it isn't unexpected, which is why I suggested at least Intense if you aren't going to cup it.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
hwm|1477712113|4091675 said:

For the color, since I don't plan to set the stone on a yellow cup, I am leaning towards to darker yellow but bright yellow is also ok.
Certainly intense yellow is a better choice, but since my budget is 3k only I found that it is a bit difficult to get a decent intense yellow diamond with size around 7.5 x 4

I do love the color of Jamesallen's stone but I am really worrying about inclusion on the table
I will ask David for more pictures but looks like Leibish's stone is the leading candidate for now
Why don't you plan to set it in a yellow cup? It can make a very large difference in the appearance of the stone, making it appear far more yellow than the color designation given by a lab.

hwm

Rough_Rock
ElleW|1478031261|4092734 said:
hwm|1477712113|4091675 said:

Why don't you plan to set it in a yellow cup? It can make a very large difference in the appearance of the stone, making it appear far more yellow than the color designation given by a lab.

few years before my wife stared on a particular ring when we were in a jewellery shop, and I want to try replicating that design :razz:

hwm

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1478007094|4092622 said:
hwm|1478006716|4092621 said:
The picture is so tiny that it doesn't tell me anything. :lol: Colour-wise, Fancy is very light so it isn't unexpected, which is why I suggested at least Intense if you aren't going to cup it.
yup, so might be I will go for the fdy one or increase my budget and go after another stone

hwm

Rough_Rock
Finally I chose a fancy intense yellow stone and set it with yellow gold cupping :tongue:

loose stone
2_39.jpg

just got it set today :appl:
3_46.jpg
4_17.jpg

my wife is wearing it now :lol:
5_73.jpg

thanks for you guys help! :clap:

hwm

Rough_Rock
last photo, yellow, red, and blue :lickout:
img_9937_1387_.png