Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

[Newbie Question] Yellow Diamond Decision!

hwm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
Hi all, I am a newbie on fancy colored diamond and would like to seek some help here (You all seem so knowledgeable!).

Basically I am trying to get my wife a yellow diamond ring (pear shape) and I am looking at the 3 diamonds below.
Could you guys let me know which one you prefer?

1. From Jamesallen
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...ear-shaped/0.75-carat-si2-clarity-sku-2073423
$2970, 0.75 ct, FDY, SI2, 8.74x4.85, Ratio is 1.80
(Table not very clean but not sure how noticeable it is in real life)

2. From David
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...fancy-yellow-si1-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r7266
$2595, 0.77 ct, FY, SI1, 7.33x4.36, Ratio is 1.68
(Is it a bow-tie?)

3. From Leibish
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-yellow-pear-22919
$2750, 0.66 ct, FY, VS1, 7.63x4.45, Ratio is 1.71, Medium Blue Fluorescence
(Not sure if the blue fluoresence will make the stone less yellow...)


I plan to set the stone in white gold without a yellow cupping so I think the color needs to be FY or up?
Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,369
Are you looking for a Bright Yellow or Dark Yellow?

JA: Dark yellow but nice cut. The only concern is the location of the inclusion is smack dab on the table. You'll have to verify how eye clean it is. 12 inches away? 6 inches away?

DBL: Bright yellow but very light. Nice cut. Would prefer to see the diamond without it being backlit. I would request a more natural picture (on the hand).

Leibish: Nice diamond with the benefit of a video. I see some tilt window but probably isn't too bad in person. MBlue fluoro isn't something I would worry about.

If you plan to set it in white gold without any yellow to boost the colour, I would up the saturation of the diamond to be at least intense.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,631
Of those 3, I like the DBL stone the best from what we can tell, but I personally would choose a chubbier pear than any of these.
 

hwm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
Hi Chrono and diamondseeker2006, thanks for replying :tongue:

For the color, since I don't plan to set the stone on a yellow cup, I am leaning towards to darker yellow but bright yellow is also ok.
Certainly intense yellow is a better choice, but since my budget is 3k only I found that it is a bit difficult to get a decent intense yellow diamond with size around 7.5 x 4

I do love the color of Jamesallen's stone but I am really worrying about inclusion on the table
I will ask David for more pictures but looks like Leibish's stone is the leading candidate for now
 

hwm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
untitled_63.png
I have requested a face up picture from DBL, the picture is tiny but looks like the color isn't too light?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,369
hwm|1478006716|4092621 said:
I have requested a face up picture from DBL, the picture is tiny but looks like the color isn't too light?
The picture is so tiny that it doesn't tell me anything. :lol: Colour-wise, Fancy is very light so it isn't unexpected, which is why I suggested at least Intense if you aren't going to cup it.
 

ElleW

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 5, 2015
Messages
239
hwm|1477712113|4091675 said:
Hi Chrono and diamondseeker2006, thanks for replying :tongue:

For the color, since I don't plan to set the stone on a yellow cup, I am leaning towards to darker yellow but bright yellow is also ok.
Certainly intense yellow is a better choice, but since my budget is 3k only I found that it is a bit difficult to get a decent intense yellow diamond with size around 7.5 x 4

I do love the color of Jamesallen's stone but I am really worrying about inclusion on the table
I will ask David for more pictures but looks like Leibish's stone is the leading candidate for now
Why don't you plan to set it in a yellow cup? It can make a very large difference in the appearance of the stone, making it appear far more yellow than the color designation given by a lab.
 

hwm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
ElleW|1478031261|4092734 said:
hwm|1477712113|4091675 said:
Hi Chrono and diamondseeker2006, thanks for replying :tongue:

For the color, since I don't plan to set the stone on a yellow cup, I am leaning towards to darker yellow but bright yellow is also ok.
Certainly intense yellow is a better choice, but since my budget is 3k only I found that it is a bit difficult to get a decent intense yellow diamond with size around 7.5 x 4

I do love the color of Jamesallen's stone but I am really worrying about inclusion on the table
I will ask David for more pictures but looks like Leibish's stone is the leading candidate for now
Why don't you plan to set it in a yellow cup? It can make a very large difference in the appearance of the stone, making it appear far more yellow than the color designation given by a lab.
few years before my wife stared on a particular ring when we were in a jewellery shop, and I want to try replicating that design :razz:
 

hwm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
Chrono|1478007094|4092622 said:
hwm|1478006716|4092621 said:
I have requested a face up picture from DBL, the picture is tiny but looks like the color isn't too light?
The picture is so tiny that it doesn't tell me anything. :lol: Colour-wise, Fancy is very light so it isn't unexpected, which is why I suggested at least Intense if you aren't going to cup it.
yup, so might be I will go for the fdy one or increase my budget and go after another stone
 

hwm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
18
Finally I chose a fancy intense yellow stone and set it with yellow gold cupping :tongue:

loose stone
2_39.jpg

just got it set today :appl:
3_46.jpg
4_17.jpg

my wife is wearing it now :lol:
5_73.jpg

thanks for you guys help! :clap:
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top