shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs Idealscope guidance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jongleur

Rough_Rock
Hello there!

I am buying a stone for an engagement ring. There''s a thread about it here.

The basic idea is just under a carat, price range $3000 - $5000. Someone recommended this one as an example.

I asked for the Idealscope image, and it''s attached to this post (hopefully I did that right; I''m new).

I''m trying to be a good forum member and read lots of threads, but I''d still like some guidance. Here''s what I *think* I see, and I''d like your comments.

1. From the reference chart on Ideal-scope.com, it looks like this diamond is in between "Good" and "Very Good" on both light return and symmetry.

2. It looks like the "white spots" in the upper right-hand quadrant of the stone are bigger and brighter than the bottom left quad. I don''t know if that imbalance is due to a tilt when taking the picture, or is really an imbalance in the stone. I also don''t know whether it would matter when look at the stone without magnification.

3. I see inclusions on both the "real diamond" image and the Idealscope image, but they look small enough to my uneducated eye. I think they''re not that bad?

4. In the original thread where this one was suggested, part of the rationale given was that it was a Tolkowsky Ideal Cut (TIC), which I guess is a safe sweet spot for people who aren''t sure what "personality" they prefer in their diamonds. This page on diamond-cut.com defines TIC, BIC and FIC by the crown angles. Two questions:
4a. Is an Idealscope image a useful cross-check on whether a stone is TIC, FIC, or BIC, or does it not even address that kind of difference?
4b. Before coming here to be educated, we saw a Hearts on Fire in person and were really impressed. Where on the TIC/FIC/BIC chart would you guys say is closest to the "style" of a Hearts on Fire? The ones we saw in the store seemed "super-sparkly," so I would guess it''s more in the BIC range, but I don''t know. The closest thread I could find on this topic was here, but it wasn''t that useful.

5. Generally, what should I be looking at on this image, and where are some good threads to guide me? I''ve been reading on this for a while now, and still feel pretty green.

Thanks SO much for your help!
9.gif

- Chris

T12-023id.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
light return is excellent, optical symmetry face up is exellent, without hearts images the overall optical symmetry can not be determined.

The variation in white spots is:
1: tilt
2: some minor variations in the upper girdle facets.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you''re interested in that diamond, you should put it on hold. It looks like a great stone for a great price, and there are lots of lurkers who could buy it before you have a chance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jongleur

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:53:17 AM
Author: glitterata
If you''re interested in that diamond, you should put it on hold. It looks like a great stone for a great price, and there are lots of lurkers who could buy it before you have a chance.

I called and looked around on the site, but it doesn''t look like there''s a way to put it on hold over the weekend? I''ll do it Monday morning.

- Chris

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 11:27:37 AM
Author: Jongleur

Date: 2/7/2009 10:53:17 AM
Author: glitterata

I called and looked around on the site, but it doesn''t look like there''s a way to put it on hold over the weekend? I''ll do it Monday morning.

- Chris
Try an email Chris.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has excellent light return and symmetry. Very nice!

hearts on fire are TIC.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
The Idealscope image and stats both look great. You do want to see the hearts also, however, as strmrdr indicated, to ensure for complete optical symmetry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results