shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Looking for Shopping Advice

mickeyb1ueeyes

Rough_Rock
If I've posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize. This seemed like a good place to find people knowledgeable about shopping for a engagement ring, even if I'm not asking about specific details of a diamond.

Quick (optional) background: I'm 29. My intended fiancée (25) has a favorite setting, but she doesn't know that I am actively taking her suggestions straight to jewelers for assistance in finding the right ring. I only have the option to head to a jeweler after my college classes end early on Tue/Thu and so doesn't wonder where I am and become suspicious. This is working out well so far. She may even be slightly irritated that I'm not acting on her suggestions immediately, which will make the proposal that much sweeter.

My first step is going to be finding the right jeweler. I have met with and perused the selections of 10 different jewelers in the SLC, UT area. The setting that I want to get her can be found at two jewelers nearby: Sierra West has exactly what she wants, and Shane Co can special order the second band (those are links to the settings themselves, please have a look). Both of these jewelers offer free or cheap lifetime cleanings and warranties, and future diamond upgrade policies that don't require doubling the diamond value.

There are two other jewelers I'm considering because they mention custom making a similar ring for less money, leaving more money for a center stone. One of these jewelers also mentioned having existing relationships with the two above stores, so he should be able to buy the setting from them for a a couple hundred dollars less, then I can buy a center stone from him. Neither of these jewelers offer warranties, and say they are a sham anyway.

Finally, my questions:
  1. Is anyone aware of similar settings to the ones linked to above (especially in the SLC, UT area, or just elsewhere on the web)?
  2. Any thoughts on going with a lifetime warranty from a store vs. just covering the ring with homeowners insurance?
  3. Is it shady for one jeweler to offer to buy the ring from another the discount it just to sell you their diamonds?

Thank you reading my first post here, and thank you in advance for sharing your expertise on shopping for engagement rings.

Cheers! :)
Mickey

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe price out cost of center stone at different jewelers? also I would read exactly what the warranty entails, most warranties do not cover as much as insurance, so definitely check on what is included at different vendors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results