shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie looking for advice on 2 diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ronf119

Rough_Rock
I''ve been shopping for a loose diamond for awhile now and been trying to read up as much as possible on what to look for. So far, 2 diamonds have gotten my attention. I was hoping to get opinions on my choices and if I should continue looking or have I stumbled upon something.

.90 FVS2 AGS certified
table -55
total depth 61.9
crown angle 34.5
crown height 15.5
pavillion angle 40.7
pavillion depth 42.9
girdle thickness 1.5-2.6
polish - ideal
symmetry - ideal
flouresence - none

.90 FVS2 GIA certified - numbers below are from a sarin report
table - 55
total depth - 60.7
crown angle - 34.5
crown height - 15.5
pavillion angle - 40
pavillion depth 42.5
girdle thickness - 2.9
polish - excellent
symmetry - good
flourescence - none

thanks for the help

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

The first stone looks good.....the combination of 34.5 and 40.7 crown and pavillion angles will produce a good brilliance result. When we look for stones to inventory, we look for diamonds that have crown and pavilion measurements in a very tight range, and this stone falls in that range.

The second stone has pavilion angles that are far too shallow. This stone will suffer from obscuration and will certaily not qualify as a cut grade 1 under the soon to be relased GIA cut grade system.

A brilliance scope test of the two stones would show the difference in light return....

All the best in your quest for the perfect diamond.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Something is wrong with the second measurement, either in pavilion angle or in pavilion depth. I mean, the mistake in the figures, maybe not in the diamond.

What bothers me about no. 2, though is Good symmetry, which is a clear of sloppy cutting. And, even though, a lower symmetry-grade as such does not really affect the light performance, how can one expect high light performance, if the rest of the cutting is sloppy. It really decreases the odds dramatically.

Live long,

ronf119

Rough_Rock
thanks for the inputs so far

the first diamond got my attention because of it''s numbers...however, the stone does not have as good as a spread as the other one since it''s total depth percentage is larger. The avg diameter for the first one was 6.17mm while the second one was 6.26.

as for the numbers of the second diamond, i also have a megascope report here that has a slightly different attributes in some areas

table - 54.9
total depth - 60.8
crown angle - 35.5
crown height - 15.6
pavillion angle - 40.4
pavillion depth - 42.4
girdle thickness - 1.5-2.1.....this one was odd since on the right side of the megascope report under avg graph, it states its 2.8%
it''s avg diameter states 6.23mm

i''m so confused...the AGS stone i thought was really nice when looking at the numbers but i heard from a few other people that it''s total depth is a bit large and won''t have the same light return as the other stone which i personally thought the angles and depth was a bit off from the ideal numbers. also, someone was saying that the total depth should equal to the crown height + girdle + pavillion depth.

so am i right in choosing the first one over the second. i wish i could compare the two but they are from 2 different jewelers...or should i forget those two and continue my quest to search for a better one? arghhh...so frustrating

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Ronf119,

Don''t abandone the first one.....that stone has proportions that look terrific......perhaps find something else to compare it with.

ronf119

Rough_Rock
icemyster...thanks for ur input. i would love to compare it with another one..however, finding another one to view locally of similar specs is proving to be difficult and i don''t want to loose the diamond to another buyer.. also, i''m trying to plan my proposal to coincide with a vacation we are taking together..so time is slowly running out unless i delay things again...so i thought i''d post here to get people''s opinions on the two i found and if i should bite or try to continue looking

ronf119

Rough_Rock
any other opinions...i could really use it as time is ticking

ronf119

Rough_Rock
while looking at the first diamond, i added up the crown height, avg girdle and pavillion depth and it came to 60.45. the total depth is 61.9...how much difference between the numbers should i allow. i hear mix reports of some saying they should be equal while other say 1-2% is fine...any comments on this or if the 2 diamonds are even fine to begin with.

ronf119

Rough_Rock
please, anymore inputs...i''m planning on having the 1st one shipped to the jeweler to be viewed but i have to put a $100 deposit down that will be waived and applied to my total price if i decide to go with it...i don''t want to put down any money until i can get a few more comments on the specs..help please

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
by the numbers the first looks good.
Ideal-scope image would clinch it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The megascope report numbers arent working diamcalc says they dont match.
What are the actual dimensions of the diamond on the megascope?
Max and min diameter, and the depth.

ronf119

Rough_Rock
here''s a more detailed megascope numbers for the second diamond

diameter - 6.23 (6.22-6.24)
total depth - 60.8
crown angle 35.5 (35.2-35.8)
crown height - 15.6 (14.9-16.0)
pavillion angle - 40.4 (40.1-41.0)
pavillion depth - 42.4 (41.7-43.4)
culet - 0.5
table size - 54.9 (54.4-55.4)
girdle thickness 1.7 (1.5-2.1) on the avg graph, it says 2.8 and the sarin report says 2.9

i guess i''m going to have the first diamond brought in to get a closer look. unfortunately, i probably won''t be able to get an ideal scope image when it comes in unless i bring it to an appraiser as the jeweler doesn''t have one.

should i inquire about bringing it to an appraiser before purchasing? when should i bring the diamond to the appraiser...before or after purchase...loose or already in the setting?

thanks and look forward to hearing more input

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results