shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie in need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi

I have been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now but this is my first post.

Up till a recently I knew nothing about diamonds. I have a .25 princess cut solitaire G vs2. We bought it about two years ago from a local jeweller where we live. (Newcastle in England).
We knew that we would be buying a bigger ring once we had more money.

I have been researching diamonds for a little while and to be honest I now wish I hadn''t! Its really confusing. Maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss!

We have decided to buy the ring from the US as there really aren''t any settings that I like over here and it would appear that even after paying import tax and VAT it still works out cheaper to buy the diamond there.

In the UK there isn''t as much interest in diamonds and engagement rings in general. We just don''t seem to be as bothered about the quality of our jewellery...(this is based on what I have seen in the shops and also what the people I know have told me)..... I could be wrong!

I would love some advice on how to choose a diamond - but it would need to be pretty easy to understand! I''m not stupid but I am really struggling with what is ideal. I have read some of the tutorials but even that is difficult to me! My mathematics isn''t all that good!!

I am a busy mum to five children. I am careful with my jewellery but I wouldn''t dare have a pear cut as I feel I would probably manage to break that! I love ovals and princess cuts. I also love RB but as I want quite a big stone I think a good one would be out of our price range.

I would be happy to wear a G to I colour stone and would wear up to SI-1.
Our budget (which has to include setting) is approx $4800.

Is anyone able to offer me some simple advice on choosing my ring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
21.gif

Thanks

Shelley

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Maise, and yes, ignorance CAN be bliss. But wearing an exceptionally cut diamond is better.
2.gif

I would suggest, if you''re going with a fancy, possibly an oval, to contact this jeweler. He''s located in NY, and is great to work with. I bought my diamond ring from them. If you tell them basically what you want and have to spend, they can find ii. He did a video for one of the posters here, so she could decide on an oval for her ring.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

Her ring thread.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ready-or-not.54834/

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou for your reply Ellen. I had a look at that post you suggested. Ovals look fab when they have side stones! Where can I find that video you mentioned or was it just sent privately to the lady looking for help with ovals?

Mai

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh dear
40.gif
my computer didn''t like that link and shut down on me! I wonder what went wrong.... I am really disappointed.

I think I am aiming towards an Oval but my problem is I don''t know enough about them - for instance this ''bow tie'' thing.... What is it and how can I avoid it?

Also as I live in UK its going to be scary buying a diamond from such a distance. I won''t be able to look before I buy. Mind you I think from reading posts on here a lot of you buy from a distance.....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 12:14:22 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
Oh dear
40.gif
my computer didn''t like that link and shut down on me! I wonder what went wrong.... I am really disappointed.

I think I am aiming towards an Oval but my problem is I don''t know enough about them - for instance this ''bow tie'' thing.... What is it and how can I avoid it?

Also as I live in UK its going to be scary buying a diamond from such a distance. I won''t be able to look before I buy. Mind you I think from reading posts on here a lot of you buy from a distance.....
Aw, I''m not sure. Maybe your firewall??

At any rate, Jon from GOG can make one for you too, might tell him about this lil problem though. (shutting down)

As for bowtie, a lot of fancies tend to have them. I have read a shallower oval will reduce it, I don''t know if you can absolutely not have any. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

I know it''s scary, I was there, before I finally took the leap of faith with GOG. (I live several states away) I''m SO glad I did. I got such a great stone at an even greater price! If you go with someone trustworthy, and there are several vendors that are, you will be ok. Also, GOG has a 30 day money back guarantee, so if for some reason you didn''t like your stone, you can always return it.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will definitely look into GOG, I have heard a lot of good things about them on here. Also Whiteflash have some diamonds that are within our budget too.

We are looking to buy it in March when my Hubby gets his bonus. Bless him for spending it all on me!

9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, Whiteflash is great too, got my earrings from them.

You are a lucky gal indeed!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Earrings are next on my list! I think diamond studs are gorgeous!

I think its a bit funny though - how I am panicking about spending $4800 when people on here spend way way more than that!

I suppose as its such a lot of money to us I want to get it right. I wish I could spend loads - I would get the hugest most blinging ring ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results