shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie here and a few questions about my diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hammurabi

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am new here so i apologise in advance if i have posted this in the wrong room.

There are a couple of questions about my diamond and wondering if i can get some expert answers here, TIA!

My e-ring is a round brillant H&A diamond, it was purchased from a reputable dealer and comes with an IGI certificate. I usually clean my ring with those liquid cleaners I bought from jewllery shops.

A couple of days ago, I had a look at my diamond through the scope that comes with it when i purchased it (so that i can view the arrows if i wish to at my leisure). Anyway, thats the first time i look at it via the magnifying scope since i''ve got the ring. Now, apart from the arrows, when i look at the ring on different angles, i saw these tiny teeny teeny ''bubble'' like dots all over the diamond.
They dont seem like any scratches or chips on the surface as when i look at it in other angles, the surface is smooth.

I have looked at my other dimond ring (with much smaller and lower grade dimonds) and they have the same bubbles.

The bubbles are like the bubbles attached to your glass when we have soda in it, but much smaller, like tiny dots.

Is this normal?

This e-ring is classed as IF, E color on the certificate, i thought it was suppose to be internally flawless?

Am i imaginiing things?

Thanks in advance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

I am not an expert, most of us aren't or in the industry, but here are my thoughts. I am wondering if they are some sort of water mark, residual dirt or grease on the diamond. Get some sudsy ammonia and give it a good clean with that, those jewellers concoctions aren't really very good at cleaning diamonds. See if the ammonia helps and you can get some canned air and blow it dry too. Then check it again. Failing that, get a professional cleaning and see if that helps too. I think this could be your problem is muck on the diamond - they attract dirt and grease easily, if that doesn't help then take it back to the jeweller. Also those little brushes they give you with the cleaners aren't very good it seems, try an old toothbrush for cleaning it. Also I don't know how often you clean your diamond, but many PSers, myself included, clean daily. This isn't too much and won't hurt your diamond, also you might like to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner which many use here , that should keep you sparkling!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

Lorelei is right, I would try a good cleaning first with an US. Although I am not sure about IGI grading, I highly doubt that the "bubbles" you see are real major inclusions, as your ring is IF.

Perhaps, and I will let the 'real' experts chime in, it is more of a GIA VVS or VS...but you still would not see "bubbles"....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I third giving it a good, hot sudsy soak and scrub.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hammurabi- Please keep us updated on whether or not the bath helped!!!! If not, we can help you from there!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
What magnifying power is the scope?

findarock

Shiny_Rock
interested to find out what happened if you were able to resolve the issue that you had?

Hammurabi

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

Thank you so much for all the replies!

Now, I havent got ammonia at home so couldnt try that one out yet, but i have done the detergent thing and blew dry with hair dryer

They bubbles on my e-ring are GONE! woohoo!!!

My other dimond ring still have a fair bit of bubbles on it, that ones is much harder to clean, so looks like theres some more soaking to do.

Seems like the jeweller concoction is really not good.

Thanks all!

Hammurabi

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 1:01:03 PM
Author: jazmine

What magnifying power is the scope?
hmmm... i dont know, it just one of those mini ones that comes with the box when i bought it, apparently the dealer give one to each H&A they sell, so the owner can view the arrows via the scope when they want to.

its not a very high magnifying power, i cant figure out the laser inscribtion, but i can see arrows clearly.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 8:35:54 PM
Author: Hammurabi
Hi All!

Thank you so much for all the replies!

Now, I havent got ammonia at home so couldnt try that one out yet, but i have done the detergent thing and blew dry with hair dryer

They bubbles on my e-ring are GONE! woohoo!!!

My other dimond ring still have a fair bit of bubbles on it, that ones is much harder to clean, so looks like theres some more soaking to do.

Seems like the jeweller concoction is really not good.

Thanks all!
36.gif

And no, in my opinion, the jeweler stuff is just for a quick, occasional scrub, when you don''t have time to really clean it. So glad it came out ok!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results