shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Buying an ER Diamond...I need opinions, help and direction.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

This may be a long post, so buckle up. I'm in the process of picking out a center stone for an engagement ring. My budget and requirements/desires for the 4Cs are:
Budget - ~ $7000 USD
Cut - Round Brilliant
Carat - 1.11 - 1.20
Color - G-H
Clarity - VS2 - SI2

I’m almost an OCD comparison shopper and I’ve searched high and low for stones (B&M and Internet). I’ve done lots of research on PS and other places and I thought I had a pretty good handle on what I needed to know to buy this diamond. But I now feel like I’m back at square one.

My overall goal is to get my lady a stone that has that extra bang. I want someone to walk by, see a glint from the stone and have their head turned 180 degrees just to get a glimpse of it. I want them to say, “Wow, he must really love her…or…What did she do to get that rock?” I want that said because I’ve seen some women with rocks and have thought those things to myself. I’m willing to slide my 4Cs scale here or there, but I want the absolute best that I can get – as everyone else does.

I started out not being too particular, and I thought all would be swell and I’d get a wonderful stone, so long as I got my 4Cs right. Then, I began researching the AGS000, H&A, Peerless or whatever you want to call them, “perfectly” cut stones. Through using the HCA tool and reading posts, it seems that some AGS000 stones may not provide the performance one would desire.

All that said, I have lots of questions. I'm sure many of these questions may have come up in previous posts. Don't hate me too much for rehashing them. Is an ideal cut or H&A cut that important? Does it make that huge of a difference in the overall aesthetics of the stone? Or is it just a more balanced production of brilliance, fire and scintillation? I don’t have a diamond-trained eye through any stretch of the imagination. I’ve looked at stones within my 4C spectrum and they look very nice (But it may be the store lighting, although I have looked at some under normal sunlight or shade). If a stone has all brilliance and low fire or scint, what’s the downside…or what if it’s the exact opposite? You get the picture. I’d like a stone that performs well in all lighting situations.

I don’t have any intentions of selling this diamond and many of the B&M stores have IGI certified diamonds. I was told that IGI diamonds are reviewed by three gemologists and all three must come to agreement about the stone’s grade, whereas GIA only uses one gemologist to cert. the stone. I saw some older (2003 -2005) posts about IGI, but I don’t know if their reputability or paper has increased in strength over time. These same B&M stores have IGI certed stones that don’t have all the proportions and angles listed. Is it a no no to buy a stone without all proportions listed?

Whew. I’m a bit taxed after typing all of that. I will continue poring through the posts and sites to see if I can get some of these burning questions answered. If anyone can offer any insight or direction, it will be greatly appreciated – by me and my soon to be ring recipient.

Undoubtedly, more questions will be forthcoming.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 1:58:17 PM
Author:Mosooma

Hello All,

This may be a long post, so buckle up. I'm in the process of picking out a center stone for an engagement ring. My budget and requirements/desires for the 4Cs are:

Budget - ~ $7000 USD
Cut - Round Brilliant
Carat - 1.11 - 1.20
Color - G-H
Clarity - VS2 - SI2

I’m almost an OCD comparison shopper and I’ve searched high and low for stones (B&M and Internet). I’ve done lots of research on PS and other places and I thought I had a pretty good handle on what I needed to know to buy this diamond. But I now feel like I’m back at square one.

My overall goal is to get my lady a stone that has that extra bang. I want someone to walk by, see a glint from the stone and have their head turned 180 degrees just to get a glimpse of it. I want them to say, “Wow, he must really love her…or…What did she do to get that rock?” I want that said because I’ve seen some women with rocks and have thought those things to myself. I’m willing to slide my 4Cs scale here or there, but I want the absolute best that I can get – as everyone else does.
What will get you the wow factor is cut quality!!! Get the best cut diamond you can and it will sing and sparkle and just dance on your lady's hand! So cut quality should be a very high priority. Colour and clarity - your specs sound fine, we can see what is out there which might suit you as suggestions.

I started out not being too particular, and I thought all would be swell and I’d get a wonderful stone, so long as I got my 4Cs right. Then, I began researching the AGS000, H&A, Peerless or whatever you want to call them, “perfectly” cut stones. Through using the HCA tool and reading posts, it seems that some AGS000 stones may not provide the performance one would desire. Generally AGS0 cut grade diamonds are top cut rocks, however we do see the occasional one which isn't quite up to the standards of some others IMO, these can sometimes be steeper angled combos which might show a little leakage in reflector images. This is why personally I like to see images for all diamonds, even AGS0. However AGS0 cut grade can considerably narrow the target to find a well cut diamond, I would also consider GIA Excellent cut grade, the criteria for these is broader so it is best to evaluate each particularly carefully.

All that said, I have lots of questions. Is an ideal cut or H&A cut that important? Does it make that huge of a difference in the overall aesthetics of the stone? Or is it just a more balanced production of brilliance, fire and scintillation? I don’t have a diamond-trained eye through any stretch of the imagination. I’ve looked at stones within my 4C spectrum and they look very nice (But it may be the store lighting, although I have looked at some under normal sunlight or shade). If a stone has all brilliance and low fire or scint, what’s the downside…or what if it’s the exact opposite? You get the picture. I’d like a stone that performs well in all lighting situations. A well cut diamond of what we call ' near Tolkowsky' proportions should give you the performance you desire. You mention a diamond which has all brilliance may be low on fire, this can be true due to the proportions - it can be a trade off with the various types of diamonds such as brilliant ideal cut ( BIC) fiery ideal cut ( FIC) - that is why the Tolkowsky types ( TIC) are so popular as they are typically show well balanced optics. But it also depends on what you want, you don't have to have a branded h&a to have a beautiful diamond, there are diamonds out there which are ' near' h&a which can be excellent choices and even those which don't show a distinct arrow pattern can be beautiful - it depends on your preferences.

I don’t have any intentions of selling this diamond and many of the B&M stores have IGI certified diamonds. I was told that IGI diamonds are reviewed by three gemologists and all three must come to agreement about the stone’s grade, whereas GIA only uses one gemologist to cert. the stone. I saw some older (2003 -2005) posts about IGI, but I don’t know if their reputability or paper has increased in strength over time. These same B&M stores have IGI certed stones that don’t have all the proportions and angles listed. Is it a no no to buy a stone without all proportions listed? It is best to have all the proportions and info IMO even if buying from a store so you can know what you are looking at and how a certain configuration compares to another for example. If buying online then this info is essential along with ASET and Idealscope images. GIA and AGS are considered the two top tier labs, so you might want to consider these lab graded diamonds first. This page explains how the grading labs rank -

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Whew. I’m a bit taxed after typing all of that. I will continue poring through the posts and sites to see if I can get some of these burning questions answered. If anyone can offer any insight or direction, it will be greatly appreciated – by me and my soon to be ring recipient.

ndoubtedly, more questions will be forthcoming.

Thanks!
Also if you prefer to shop in brick and mortar stores, an ASET scope could be extremely useful to you in helping you judge the cut quality of each diamond.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

Here is a chart you can use to interpret ASET images -

http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 2:07:53 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/15/2009 1:58:17 PM
Author:Mosooma

Hello All,

This may be a long post, so buckle up. I''m in the process of picking out a center stone for an engagement ring. My budget and requirements/desires for the 4Cs are:

Budget - ~ $7000 USD
Cut - Round Brilliant
Carat - 1.11 - 1.20
Color - G-H
Clarity - VS2 - SI2

What will get you the wow factor is cut quality!!! Get the best cut diamond you can and it will sing and sparkle and just dance on your lady''s hand! So cut quality should be a very high priority. Colour and clarity - your specs sound fine, we can see what is out there which might suit you as suggestions.

I''m definitely open to suggestions. It''d definitely help me bring it all together.

I started out not being too particular, and I thought all would be swell and I’d get a wonderful stone, so long as I got my 4Cs right. Then, I began researching the AGS000, H&A, Peerless or whatever you want to call them, “perfectly” cut stones. Through using the HCA tool and reading posts, it seems that some AGS000 stones may not provide the performance one would desire. Generally AGS0 cut grade diamonds are top cut rocks, however we do see the occasional one which isn''t quite up to the standards of some others IMO, these can sometimes be steeper angled combos which might show a little leakage in reflector images. This is why personally I like to see images for all diamonds, even AGS0. However AGS0 cut grade can considerably narrow the target to find a well cut diamond, I would also consider GIA Excellent cut grade, the criteria for these is broader so it is best to evaluate each particularly carefully.

All that said, I have lots of questions. Is an ideal cut or H&A cut that important? Does it make that huge of a difference in the overall aesthetics of the stone? Or is it just a more balanced production of brilliance, fire and scintillation? I don’t have a diamond-trained eye through any stretch of the imagination. I’ve looked at stones within my 4C spectrum and they look very nice (But it may be the store lighting, although I have looked at some under normal sunlight or shade). If a stone has all brilliance and low fire or scint, what’s the downside…or what if it’s the exact opposite? You get the picture. I’d like a stone that performs well in all lighting situations. A well cut diamond of what we call '' near Tolkowsky'' proportions should give you the performance you desire. You mention a diamond which has all brilliance may be low on fire, this can be true due to the proportions - it can be a trade off with the various types of diamonds such as brilliant ideal cut ( BIC) fiery ideal cut ( FIC) - that is why the Tolkowsky types ( TIC) are so popular as they are typically show well balanced optics. But it also depends on what you want, you don''t have to have a branded h&a to have a beautiful diamond, there are diamonds out there which are '' near'' h&a which can be excellent choices and even those which don''t show a distinct arrow pattern can be beautiful - it depends on your preferences.

I haven''t viewed a whole lot of stones in person. Is there any other way to get an idea of my preference, rather than going into a store. I did some reading about DiamCalc, but I don''t have that software at the moment.

I don’t have any intentions of selling this diamond and many of the B&M stores have IGI certified diamonds. I was told that IGI diamonds are reviewed by three gemologists and all three must come to agreement about the stone’s grade, whereas GIA only uses one gemologist to cert. the stone. I saw some older (2003 -2005) posts about IGI, but I don’t know if their reputability or paper has increased in strength over time. These same B&M stores have IGI certed stones that don’t have all the proportions and angles listed. Is it a no no to buy a stone without all proportions listed? It is best to have all the proportions and info IMO even if buying from a store so you can know what you are looking at and how a certain configuration compares to another for example. If buying online then this info is essential along with ASET and Idealscope images. GIA and AGS are considered the two top tier labs, so you might want to consider these lab graded diamonds first. This page explains how the grading labs rank -

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

ndoubtedly, more questions will be forthcoming.

Thanks!
Also if you prefer to shop in brick and mortar stores, an ASET scope could be extremely useful to you in helping you judge the cut quality of each diamond.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

Here is a chart you can use to interpret ASET images -

http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can have a look and make suggestions of some diamonds you might like - is your 7k budget just for the diamond or does it have to include the setting also?

Regarding personal preference, a well balanced diamond with excellent optics as I mentioned previously might be the safest bet for you. I don't know how useful DiamCalc would be really in this situation, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Also 1.11 to 1.20 is quite a rigid specification so I will look for diamonds a little below and above those weights also.

With any diamonds posted which are of SI clarity, you might already know to check with the vendor if the diamond is eyeclean to your standards.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5529/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2308/ Complete ring here which might suit you.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-46307.htm

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1225034.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218722.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
The 7K is just for the diamond. I''ve already picked a setting. I''ve done quite a bit of searching on Whiteflash and the PS price comparison. I believe WF has a 10 day return policy.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 4:23:47 PM
Author: Mosooma
The 7K is just for the diamond. I've already picked a setting. I've done quite a bit of searching on Whiteflash and the PS price comparison. I believe WF has a 10 day return policy.
a) Apparently, for their ACAs, WF has upgraged their return policy to 30 days
b) Ordinarily, since you've also picked out their setting, I'd direct you there, but...
c) I'm seeing as many as 2 options from HPD described at 1.11, H & SI1 for approx $6877 with your Pricescope/wire discount. You'll have to do some inquiring as to which is which, and even, which vendor you'd prefer from there, but today, this may be the one to beat. Possibly, they could replicate the setting, or...since many of these guys are friends, if you have time, you could also get JM insurance, and send your diamond to WF to have it set...as one among your options...

Regards,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:46:49 PM
Author: swingirl
1.11ct H SI1

1.24ct I SI1

1.161ct G SI1

1.218ct I SI1

You are looking at a very popular combination. Here are a few that come real close.
Though I think Swingirl missed a second HP diamond with the same characteristics, she found an ACA that may make that a provisional front runner...especially given the I think 5% discount for Pricescope & wire discounts not shown...

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 70px">Date: 3/15/2009 5:38:08 PM
Author: Regular Guy

b) Ordinarily, since you''ve also picked out their setting, I''d direct you there, but...
c) I''m seeing as many as 2 options from HPD described at 1.11, H & SI1 for approx $6877 with your Pricescope/wire discount. You''ll have to do some inquiring as to which is which, and even, which vendor you''d prefer from there, but today, this may be the one to beat. Possibly, they could replicate the setting, or...since many of these guys are friends, if you have time, you could also get JM insurance, and send your diamond to WF to have it set...as one among your options...

Regards,
As and FYI, I found the setting at a Jared''s B&M. Is it possible to just purchase the loose diamond from WF and have it set elsewhere? Jared''s said they''ll set a diamond if a setting is purchased from them.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 8:47:48 PM

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 70px">Date: 3/15/2009 5:38:08 PM

b) Ordinarily, since you''ve also picked out their setting, I''d direct you there, but...
c) I''m seeing as many as 2 options from HPD described at 1.11, H & SI1 for approx $6877 with your Pricescope/wire discount. You''ll have to do some inquiring as to which is which, and even, which vendor you''d prefer from there, but today, this may be the one to beat. Possibly, they could replicate the setting, or...since many of these guys are friends, if you have time, you could also get JM insurance, and send your diamond to WF to have it set...as one among your options...

Regards,
As and FYI, I found the setting at a Jared''s B&M. Is it possible to just purchase the loose diamond from WF and have it set elsewhere? Jared''s said they''ll set a diamond if a setting is purchased from them.
Yes, I think this is possible. Also, there''s some advantages, I think, from developing through a component purchase a relationship with a local vendor for routine maintenance. Some folks here don''t love Jareds, as you can read, but they''re well presented around the country (an advantage), you can buy JM insurance to protect yourself against the unexpected (study here how to do this), and this might work just swell.

But...you might check out the WF option, too.

Both strategies have merits.

Regards,

phildominator

Rough_Rock
"My overall goal is to get my lady a stone that has that extra bang. I want someone to walk by, see a glint from the stone and have their head turned 180 degrees just to get a glimpse of it. I want them to say, “Wow, he must really love her…or…What did she do to get that rock?” I want that said because I’ve seen some women with rocks and have thought those things to myself."

Maybe consider one of the modified diamonds - solasfera, Star 129, etc?

Check this video out...http://vimeo.com/2281519

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
Check this video out...http://vimeo.com/2281519
That was a great video. It helps to see a side by side comparison of various stones. I liked the H&A stone the most.

Diamond Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hi Mosooma,

You''ve already gotten a lot of good advice. I''m going to reiterate some of it, and maybe add my two cents.

I''ve been in the diamond industry for a while now, and my professional opinion is Cut & Color are the two most important "C"s. Carat is of course important, but it is limited by your budget range. Clarity is not as important as the others because it is very hard to discern clarity with the naked eye. Of course the clarity must be a minimum of SI-2. I recommend SI-1 clarity to be safe. To the naked eye, there is no difference between an SI-1 and a VVS1, as long as there is no black carbon in the SI-1.

The Cut is what determines the brilliance of the diamond. The "Bling Factor" is determined by the Cut. The cut determines how the diamond will sparkle, and that is what they are supposed to do. The cut is the only aspect that humans can affect. You have to look at the diamond cutter as an artist, and the rough diamond is his canvas. Each diamond has a certain potential, and it is up to the diamond cutter to bring out that potential. I highly recommend GIA Triple Excellent. GIA is the most prestigious grading lab in the World. AGS is excellent too, but GIA is the most reputable.

The Color is also easily visible to the naked eye. I suggest an H-color or better. I personally like the colorless range, D-F. You should easily be able to tell the difference between an H-color and an E-color. When your girl puts her engagement ring next to her friend''s rings, the color of the diamond is what will stand out first. Of course you want hers to look the brightest, whitest, and show the most fire.

My specific diamond suggestions are:

Most Bang for your Buck:
** 1.31 carat Round Brilliant Cut, H-color, SI-1 clarity, Triple Excellent Cut, GIA Certified for $6,875 including tax.
--Carat are the girl''s favorite "C" The bigger the better.

High Quality & Value:
**1.11 Carat Round Brilliant Cut, D-color (best), SI-1 clarity, Triple Excellent Cut, GIA Certified for $$6,850 including tax.
--Best color, Best cut, Eye-clean SI-1, Best Lab-GIA certified.

Top Quality & Best all around:
**1.09 Carat Round Brilliant Cut, E-color, VS-2 Clarity, Triple Excellent Cut, GIA Certified for $6,900 including tax.
--Second highest color, Best Cut, VS-2 almost nothing to see even with a magnifying glass/lupe, GIA certified.

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, don''t hesitate to ask.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Well...this thread seems to have wandered in some unexpected and even strange directions.

Diamond consultant...you seem to have mentioned several specific diamonds, with the expectation that they would somehow be identified here. By links, or how?

Moosooma, you''ve found an option...

Date: 3/16/2009 2:02:43 AM
What do you guys think of this stone? It''s HCA is 0.9. The lower right-hand corner of the IdealScope image looks interesting.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218723.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
...and it may be quite nice. That you found it may be the reason to go for it, and I can''t say that for any AGS0 round, I could tell the difference between it and a branded option. But, with several hundred dollars separating this pick, and two branded options, I''m not certain I wouldn''t go for the branded one.

If you have the time, the luxury of a pepsi text is always nice, but it''s hard to find the time, and there is at least the expense of shipping. Without a doubt, any AGS0 option will be more than fine, you have a confirming IS, and you''re probably good.

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
I''m sure I''ll say this many more times, but...I offer my sincere and hearty thanks to everyone for all the posts and advice.

Date: 3/16/2009 2:59:14 AM
Author: Diamond Consultant

Most Bang for your Buck:
** 1.31 carat Round Brilliant Cut, H-color, SI-1 clarity, Triple Excellent Cut, GIA Certified for $6,875 including tax.
--Carat are the girl''s favorite ''C'' The bigger the better.

High Quality & Value:
**1.11 Carat Round Brilliant Cut, D-color (best), SI-1 clarity, Triple Excellent Cut, GIA Certified for $$6,850 including tax.

**1.09 Carat Round Brilliant Cut, E-color, VS-2 Clarity, Triple Excellent Cut, GIA Certified for $6,900 including tax.
--Second highest color, Best Cut, VS-2 almost nothing to see even with a magnifying glass/lupe, GIA certified.
Christian,

Are these stones listed as sample data or can you provide some links so I can check them out?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 10:40:04 AM
I''m sure I''ll say this many more times, but...I offer my sincere and hearty thanks to everyone for all the posts and advice.

Date: 3/16/2009 2:59:14 AM

Most Bang for your Buck:
--Carat are the girl''s favorite ''C'' The bigger the better.

High Quality & Value:

Christian,

Are these stones listed as sample data or can you provide some links so I can check them out?
If this poster is suggesting diamonds from his own company which I am led to believe by the above, then links are not allowed Mosooma.

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 7:54:30 AM
...and it may be quite nice. That you found it may be the reason to go for it, and I can''t say that for any AGS0 round, I could tell the difference between it and a branded option. But, with several hundred dollars separating this pick, and two branded options, I''m not certain I wouldn''t go for the branded one.

If you have the time, the luxury of a pepsi text is always nice, but it''s hard to find the time, and there is at least the expense of shipping. Without a doubt, any AGS0 option will be more than fine, you have a confirming IS, and you''re probably good.
If I understand correctly, you''re saying you can notice a (negative) difference between the stone I posted and other branded (like a Whiteflash ACA H&A) ones? What difference jumps out at you? It may be too early in the morning for me
1.gif
, but I didn''t get the Pepsi and "confirming IS" comment. You may just have to spell it out for me cuz I''m as green as an emerald when it comes to diamonds.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:50:41 AM

Date: 3/16/2009 7:54:30 AM

If I understand correctly, you''re saying you can notice a (negative) difference between the stone I posted and other branded (like a Whiteflash ACA H&A) ones? What difference jumps out at you? It may be too early in the morning for me
1.gif
, but I didn''t get the Pepsi and ''confirming IS'' comment. You may just have to spell it out for me cuz I''m as green as an emerald when it comes to diamonds.
Quite the contrary. Yours may well be as good....or possibly better. An advantage of a branded stone is that you have the benefit of experience and imprimatur from the manufacturer, where the folks on our board can draw from experience, and can make the educated guess that the branded option is a fine make.

If you''re asking....is there evidence enough without having an expert (or you) compare the non-branded option to the branded one (and where you know the non-branded one is larger to begin with) to make the choice a clear one...I''ll let others answer. I''m happy enough to raise the question...I suppose because I have it.

Mosooma

Rough_Rock

I have something for comparison. I went to a local B&M today and saw a stone. I''ve included details, as well as the GIA cert. information. It was labeled as H&A in the store''s database. It''s HCA is 1.3 (ex,ex,ex,vg). I looked at it through an H&A viewer and everything looked pretty symmetrical, but I''m going to reread the H&A tutorial.

$6760 USD
G
VS2
GIA Cut/Pol/Sym (Triple Ex)

Opinions/Thoughts please....??

Mosooma GIA Cert.JPG

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mosooma,

Looks to me like you''re getting close.

Read here for the intention of Pepsi challenge.

You could do this yourself. Consider putting the local option on hold, as at least I do value a relationship with a local vendor for service issues, and in this case, depending on what you''ve found, your option may also be larger, and with a better color, and advantaged over the other options here.

Where are you? Some appraisers are more cut sensitive than others.

In a perfect world, you''d do one or all of the following:

buy for $25 - $100 an IS
Engage either locally or at a distance an appraiser to compare among 2 good options,
Compare two yourself
Buy the local option, and take it to a trustworthy local reference (Hearts on Fire dealer, Tiffany''s, etc.)
If local option is bought, make sure you can return within X days with no consequence.

Sounds like you''re doing swell.

Regards,

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 5:47:03 PM
You could do this yourself. Consider putting the local option on hold, as at least I do value a relationship with a local vendor for service issues, and in this case, depending on what you''ve found, your option may also be larger, and with a better color, and advantaged over the other options here.

In a perfect world, you''d do one or all of the following:

buy for $25 - $100 an IS
Engage either locally or at a distance an appraiser to compare among 2 good options,
Compare two yourself
Buy the local option, and take it to a trustworthy local reference (Hearts on Fire dealer, Tiffany''s, etc.)
If local option is bought, make sure you can return within X days with no consequence.
I''m in Atlanta, Georgia. And since you now know where I''m from, let me use some southern vocabulary on you. This just ain''t my day for understanding things, I guess. I''ve read your post a few times and don''t completely follow it all.

1. Buy IdealScope
2. Find an appraiser to compare two stones (the two I posted?)
3. I compare two stones, as well
4. Take to a trustworthy dealer and do what?
5. If I bought the local option, return it to the store and keep one I bought online???

I hope you all get a good laugh at my slowness.

Diamond Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,

These stones are available from my local jeweler. He doesn''t have a website. I know him to be the best in Orange County, CA. I don''t think I''m allowed to give his name, am I?

Christian

Diamond Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hello,

these are diamond prices local to me. They are not on any website, but they are actual stones & actual prices.

Christian

Diamond Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hi Mosooma,

These are actual diamonds, and actual prices. They are not on any website. They are at a local jeweler near me. Orange County, California. I could probably get you more information about them. Maybe the GIA certificate numbers.

Christian

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 6:16:18 PM

Date: 3/16/2009 5:47:03 PM
You could do this yourself. Consider putting the local option on hold, as at least I do value a relationship with a local vendor for service issues, and in this case, depending on what you've found, your option may also be larger, and with a better color, and advantaged over the other options here.

In a perfect world, you'd do one or all of the following:

buy for $25 - $100 an IS
Compare two yourself
Buy the local option, and take it to a trustworthy local reference (Hearts on Fire dealer, Tiffany's, etc.)
I'm in Atlanta, Georgia. And since you now know where I'm from, let me use some southern vocabulary on you. This just ain't my day for understanding things, I guess. I've read your post a few times and don't completely follow it all.

1. Buy IdealScope
2. Find an appraiser to compare two stones (the two I posted?)
3. I compare two stones, as well
4. Take to a trustworthy dealer and do what?
5. If I bought the local option, return it to the store and keep one I bought online???

I hope you all get a good laugh at my slowness.
Sorry...my friends on this board know I'm rarely clear.

Note, the last option you mentioned, from your local dealer...you have every reason, I think, to be encouraged by it. When you run it through HCA, it is shows as a candidate for AGS0...as to why it wasn't sent to that more premier grading lab is anybody's guess.

Re #2, then, if you are so motivated...consider comparing this last one you've mentioned to any of another diamonds that have been mentioned above. I would be motivated to have you select from among the two branded ones (WF & Infinity) and also the JA one. But...an easier/reasonable approach would be instead to go to #4 & #5...that is....confirm your local dealer has a good return policy, buy it, bring it to another dealer who has premier goods (like one that sells hearts on fire, etc), and compare there. Remember...you (and your girl) are the final judge. Then, to your question on #5...however you configure it...after you compare...you want to end up returning what you don't want (if you bought it), and keeping what you dod want.

If you do want to engage an independent appraiser, often recommended (either or both for shopping and/or for insurance), looks like you have 2 in your area listed here, with the second one having somewhat more premium cut analysis tools). You might do a search on this board for both, to see about recommendations.

Mosooma

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 7:02:26 PM
Hi Mosooma,

These are actual diamonds, and actual prices. They are not on any website. They are at a local jeweler near me. Orange County, California. I could probably get you more information about them. Maybe the GIA certificate numbers.

Christian
I''m open to seeing and looking up the GIA certs numbers. Hopefully the certs. will have measurements and proportions...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results