shape
carat
color
clarity

Newb in need of diamond advice

lmparn

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So my boyfriend and I went ring shopping today. We went to a couple places, and I absolutely fell in love with a setting at Shane Co. We're having a harder time picking a diamond, though, as neither of us is educated on all the aspects in picking a good one.

The one I liked at Shane Co. was a .54 radiant, G color and I1 clarity. It was $1,300. We saw a similar diamond at Jarred's, a .40, G color and SI2, for $800. But not only was it darker there, even when I looked at it through the magnifier, I could plainly see the occlusions.

My questions are:

How do I determine the best proportions for a radiant, the make and symmetry/polish?

Where is the best place to find a high-quality, beautiful diamond that won't break the bank? We're looking at diamonds preferably around $1,000.

Thank you in advance!

- L.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
This may not help you at all, I don't know if you dead set on getting a radiant cut, but I was looking at JA and it was hard finding a nice one, but i did come across this princess cut that looked really good. :appl: I don't know if your familiar with JA but they will check out a diamond for you if you call and make sure it is eye clean for you. Make sure if you do order through them you get the pricescope discount.

This does have a SI2 clarity but it looks really clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1376604.asp

slg47

Ideal_Rock
with fancies it is hard to tell with the numbers. I would look for one that appeals to you and look at different lighting. Ideally you would shop with a vendor who provides ASET images, as this can tell you more about the light return, but not all vendors are equipped to provide these.

As far as the one farmer_gal posted, I really like it! and E/VS1 and still the same price as the G/I1. If that one is in budget I would definitely request an ASET image from JA. I took a look on JA and some other websites and could not find any that looked as nice! Also ask JA for pricescope discount. If you're even slightly interested I would call JA and put it on hold (no obligation to buy) so someone doesn't snatch it up.

lmparn

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! So is JA generally the best place to buy online?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
lmparn|1304300721|2909615 said:
Thank you both! So is JA generally the best place to buy online?

as for best...it depends on what you are looking for. certain vendors specialize in certain things. In your case I think JA is a good fit, since they provide images/ASET images and have a large database of pictures of radiant cuts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results