shape
carat
color
clarity

New Years Eve Plans??

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
We are hosting a small party (about 10-15 friends). We will be making vegetarian buffalo chik'n dip, vegetarian chili, red velvet cupcakes and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I need to eat junk one last time before I get back into my fitness mode (I fell off the wagon when EQ got sick and plan to start hitting the gym again on January 2nd!)

Oh, and there will be vegetarian breakfast casserole, bloody mary's and mimosas in the morning! :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
We used to do the whole 'going out' thing on New Year's Eve, but . . . we got old. Well, older. Partying ain't what it used to be.

We have discussed, (but not made definite plans), the possibility of going out with friends. Just to dinner; long before midnight. Then, we have our own bottle of bubbly to pop at home.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm unexpectedly quite stoked! First I thought it would be just me and my husband and my best friend. Then my best friend asked if she could invite her boyfriend. I liked the dude well enough, but then he acted dreadfully to her and the odds are good they will be breaking up shortly thereafter in the NY ... so I have to say I was not exactly well-disposed towards him. I invited him in order to make her happy, but I was seriously pondering how to include onion - one of my least favorite ingredients, the loathing of which was one of our few points in common - in every dish. Including the ice cream.

But at the last minute, my husband said, hey, why not invite our favorite threesome to join? And after some dithering - late minute! so rude! sure they have other plans! - I did, and they are. It'll be our official re-christening after the lead-poisoning nightmare, and they're lovely gossipy foodie people. So I bought a ton of Laduree, and tomorrow we'll pick up some Prosecco, and my husband will cook a Swedish fishy thing, and I will demonstrate mighty restraint in not simply serving my best friend's unworthy boyfriend a fishhead and tail, and we will ring in the NY on a note of friendship and conviviality.

After all, if he hurts her, I can always bombard him with flaming poo in 2013, right?

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
The laduree and prosecco sounds fantastic, but if the Swedish fish thing is that awful gelatinous lutfisk, serve the odious boyfriend that. :twisted:
(Apologies to your husband for not liking it. :oops: )

AP1976

Shiny_Rock
We're going to see Les Mis and then out to dinner with my sister and brother-in-law, while our son and their 2 sons have a sleepover party at my parents' house! We'll be home by midnight though and will probably ring in the New Year all together in front of the TV :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JaneSmith|1356913613|3343143 said:
The laduree and prosecco sounds fantastic, but if the Swedish fish thing is that awful gelatinous lutfisk, serve the odious boyfriend that. :twisted:

Heheheh - as he would be the first to say, that is, a) DISGUSTING, and, b) Norwegian. He's planning a nice cod gratin - eminently edible.

P.S. - My grad school roomate was from up around those parts. And even they make fun of the dreadful lutefisk. On the other hand, her grandmother sent her rotten shark's meat for a snack. It gave me the worst hangover of my life - well, it didn't, but the gin I was frantically gulping to get the taste out of my mouth didn't do me any favors - AND it made our freezer smell like fresh death. Seriously, we had to throw away everything down to the ice cube trays. Ugh.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been times I've tried to make plans, but as DH both works as a bartender and is in a band, invariably something comes up where he is either booked or working that night. I've done the whole trying to find a sitter at the last minute to go solo somewhere, not my cup of tea. So, this year I made plans with friends I wanted to see more around the Christmas holidays and that was really nice. Consequently I didn't mind if New Years was a non-event. Sure enough he told me today he was offered to work that night and I said go for it. Plus i'm just not up for late nights anymore. A friend is having a bonfire and I may stop by early with the kids to socialize but not staying till Midnight.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're just having another couple (and their kiddies) over. We'll have a few drinks (well, everyone but me will have a few drinks), put the little kids to bed and DD will *watch* them while we head into town for dinner. We'll be back at my place by 10 or so and I'll drive them home. I'm looking forward to it. At 32 weeks pregnant, this may be my last social outing for a while.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We really have no plans as of yet, for me and the kids I will have with me. DH is working overtime. I really want to do something fun, I just can't think of anything!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
We're going out to dinner with another couple and then they are coming over for drinks. Usually we go to a party somewhere and this is the first year since I turned 21 that it will be fairly relaxed. I guess I'm getting old!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Circe said:
JaneSmith|1356913613|3343143 said:

Heheheh - as he would be the first to say, that is, a) DISGUSTING, and, b) Norwegian. He's planning a nice cod gratin - eminently edible.

P.S. - My grad school roomate was from up around those parts. And even they make fun of the dreadful lutefisk. On the other hand, her grandmother sent her rotten shark's meat for a snack. It gave me the worst hangover of my life - well, it didn't, but the gin I was frantically gulping to get the taste out of my mouth didn't do me any favors - AND it made our freezer smell like fresh death. Seriously, we had to throw away everything down to the ice cube trays. Ugh.
Oops, I thought all the Scandinavian countries did a take on lutefisk. Sorry. Is calling a Swede a Norwegian like calling a Kiwi an Aussie? :shock: :lol:
I think you should find some lutefisk and serve it to the boyfriend anyway. Say it's cultural!

A friend of mine tried that rotten shark when she was in Iceland. She almost barfed and had to down her entire glass of beer to remove the stench and putridity. The funny thing is, if I ever go, I'll probably try the damn stuff.

/threadjack.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No plans at all! I almost always stay up until midnight, so I expect I will do that! We usually get together with our married daughter's family on New Year's Day and have our traditional southern meal of fried pork chops, black-eyed peas and rice, collard greens, stewed tomatoes, cornbread, etc.!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thawing out from skiing in the Rockies at -10 (plus wind chill...ewwww)...will ETOH help? My poor old skin..... :o

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1356930287|3343320 said:
HI:

Thawing out from skiing in the Rockies at -10 (plus wind chill...ewwww)...will ETOH help? My poor old skin..... :o

cheers--Sharon
happy skiing

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356928394|3343299 said:
No plans at all! I almost always stay up until midnight, so I expect I will do that! We usually get together with our married daughter's family on New Year's Day and have our traditional southern meal of fried pork chops, black-eyed peas and rice, collard greens, stewed tomatoes, cornbread, etc.!

sounds yummy!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAPPY NY, PLEASE BE SAFE Out There!!! call a ride if you need one

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are staying in for New Year's Eve. We don't go out. My plans: I'm planning on knitting. :D I have a sweater pattern that I'm trying to restrain myself from starting. Heck, who am I kidding....I'll probably start it, must go stash diving!

Tomorrow: New Year's Day: I'll probably do some work, as in make lesson plans. Or at least attempt to do so, I've realized that I need the student textbook for specific info...oh darn... :twirl: I may have to wait. At least I have a tentative plan for Thurs and Fri (which are the first few days back)....

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm starting to think about getting a bottle of champagne. I never drink it, but the idea is tempting me... not sure if I'm ready for the hangover it may create the next day! We'll see!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1356930287|3343320 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Yay, hope you have a great time skiing, Sharon!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok well plans have now changed!!! Our very good friend just gave birth and has been home for a few days. They are now coming over for dinner with their kids (plus newborn) and her family. Plus we invited our neighbors!! That will make 14 people!!! We have decided to do Thai night since we all love Thai. I"m sure everyone will be gone by 8pm since we all have little kids so it won't be a very late night either way.

Regardless I'm looking forward to holding that beautiful newborn!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1356978384|3343744 said:
Ok well plans have now changed!!! Our very good friend just gave birth and has been home for a few days. They are now coming over for dinner with their kids (plus newborn) and her family. Plus we invited our neighbors!! That will make 14 people!!! We have decided to do Thai night since we all love Thai. I"m sure everyone will be gone by 8pm since we all have little kids so it won't be a very late night either way.

Regardless I'm looking forward to holding that beautiful newborn!

Congrats to your friends and their newborn! Hope you have a great night. Even though the night may not last till midnight, it'll be great to ring in the new year with a fresh little baby to hold for a few hours! Have fun.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
No plans really.
I had a traumatic NYE way back when I was off with an old BF and his friends skiing, in VT not my choice, I don't like skiing but went cause he really wanted to. Everyone got drunk, it got ugly and I found him with another girl, i stormed off slept in a staircase! Classy huh? When I woke up, the a$$ had left with her! Leaving me to beg a ride back to NYC with practically strangers.

Fast forward 5 or so years and I had another BF who decided to break up with me on NY day after the party I threw in my apartment, after we had spent the night together!!!

Yeah so not a big fan of NYE. DH and I are going to the movies, the Billy Crystal one the crash at home and watch the ball drop (Dick Clark's name is engraved in one of the Waterford plates on the ball)
Tomorrow we are going out on the boat. DH and son will fish I will read and sun!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1356781495|3342159 said:
What plans do you have this New Year's Eve?

We are staying in; we will make homemade pizza and watch a movie! Nothing too exciting. I do have the Twilight Zone episodes and since we no longer have a tv, I might just watch an episode or two in honor of the marathon they do each year on the Syfy channel. lol
I plan to park my butt in bed watching junk on DVR or on the couch doing the same. I will be amazed if I make it til midnight, I have been up since 530 for work.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I'm hoping to take the Christmas tree down because it's become exhausting with my two year old telling me every ten minutes that the tree is a "no no" and then promptly pulling on the ornaments! At midnight there is a 90% chance I'll be feeding/diapering/soothing a baby, and a 10% chance I'll be sleeping! I know I'm old and tired because I'm crossing my fingers for the sleep :cheeky: Not my most exciting NYE!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1356985910|3343857 said:
I'm hoping to take the Christmas tree down because it's become exhausting with my two year old telling me every ten minutes that the tree is a "no no" and then promptly pulling on the ornaments! At midnight there is a 90% chance I'll be feeding/diapering/soothing a baby, and a 10% chance I'll be sleeping! I know I'm old and tired because I'm crossing my fingers for the sleep :cheeky: Not my most exciting NYE!
Kunzite, aww, I hope you are getting sleep! I hope everyone sttn soon too!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1356985910|3343857 said:

Kunzite - hope you are in the 10% sleep portion! Happy New Year. And, I feel for your tree situation...ours is with the cat though. He's 2.5 years and we still had to cat-proof the tree because he is so naughty! (and so cute too...)

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Relaxation and quiet family time.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Same thing I do every year, since I started having bad luck at gatherings a long time ago. Stay at home away from the crazy drunk people on the road.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably finishing up work at home and give DH a kiss goodnight at midnight!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I just got home (3am) Ears are ringing. It was a great party. Happy new year PS! Time for sleep zzzzzz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results