shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the diamond world. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking at diamond engagement rings for a long time, and still find myself coming back to the same setting.

http://www.danforthdiamond.com/engagement-rings-with-side-stones/6375/14K-White-Gold-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-%281%7C4-ct.-tw.%29/details.htm?setting=10

I have never had any experience dealing with jewelers, and don''t know anything about diamonds firsthand, but I have done my fair share of research and have an idea of what I''m looking for.
1.gif

This particular setting from Danforth catches my eye with the 14 diamonds along the sides, but it still looks similar to a solitaire, just with some extra flair. My only concern is that the 8 side diamonds (not the 4 directly beside the center stone on either side) would be up for some extra wear and tear. Does anyone have any experience with diamonds placed in this position?

After doing some research on metal types, I am opting to go with palladium, because platinum is out of the budget and I had read that white gold can fade to almost a yellow color, and as I am not big on yellow gold, I''d like for my ring to stay as white as I can manage. I remember reading somewhere that palladium is not the best metal for pave settings, are bead settings any different?

Additionally, if anyone has any experience with Danforth or has any other suggestions, anything would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, are you the going to be the wearer of the ring... or are you going to be purchasing it for your significant other?

Second, what''s your budget-- total budget for setting and center stone. And what sized center are you hoping for.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I will be the wearer! Unfortunately, my boyfriend is an idiot when it comes to this, and he''s put me in charge of doing all the work! Haha.

For now, the budget seems to be $1200. Not much, I know, but we''re only 21 years old and this ring will be more of something that will represent the engagement for now, but in years to come we will hopefully upgrade.

With the palladium setting priced at $570, I figure I have room to get a "low quality" (in comparison) .50ct diamond, or a .25ct diamond for a center stone. I''d rather have the .50, as my fingers are long, but they''re not the thinnest ones out there
25.gif
and I wouldn''t want my fingers to overshadow the diamond, if that makes sense.

I''m just not sure where to look for the best deal. I''m not terribly picky, all diamonds are beautiful, and for as little as I know about this, all of them are going to look flawless to me. It''s just that darn setting that I can''t seem to stray away from.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... 1200 total budget and you love that exact setting, and that leaves a little over 600 for a center stone. OK. Let me put my magicians hat on and see what, if anything I can recommend.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
One more thing to add that you might take into consideration, I also am quite fond of this setting.. We''ll call it setting B.

http://www.danforthdiamond.com/engagement-rings-with-side-stones/6343/14K-White-Gold-3.2-mm-Cathedral-Style-Engagement-Ring-with-Bead-Set-Diamonds-%281%7C8-ct.-t.w.%29/details.htm?setting=1

Almost the same setting, .2mm thinner band, and 1/8ct TW on the setting instead of the 1/4ct TW on the first one I showed you.

I am a veterinary technician, which at some points can require strenuous use of the hands, and a concern of mine is that the wedding band will rub the inside diamonds on the side of setting A that I showed you. I have never owned a diamond, much less a diamond set on the SIDE of a ring. Would setting B be something mroe appropriate for my job? Not to mention most bands would cover the diamonds anyway. Hm, I hadn''t thought of that..

Setting B is also cheaper, leaving about 100 dollars more to be spent on the diamond..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this, I'm such a newbie!

I really like the setting that you linked from WhiteFlash. Just a quick question, do I order the setting and the diamond seperately and then take it somewhere to be set? Or does WhiteFlash set it for me?

The first setting you showed me is available in palladium, which is awesome, but I can't figure out how to pair it up with the K diamond that you linked. I noticed that the K diamond has very strong blue flourescence, which I don't mind at all
1.gif

Just wondering how I would go about ordering those two put together, or if that's possible.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash will set it for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you buy the stone and setting from the same dealer, you will get them set it.

If you buy the diamond from whiteflash, but want the setting from someplace else, you order the setting from the vendor, telling them your exact stone specifications then have them send the setting to whiteflash, and whiteflash will set it.

If you can squeeze out a little more money in your budget, ask WF if they will discount your purchase if you buy both from them. The WF setting will have nicer stones in it, and WF has been good about standing behind their work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results