shape
carat
color
clarity

New to pearls - what is a price point for reasonable quality

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I have many jewelers in my country with pearls, is 100 enough for small studs or small pendant ones ? Which type of pearls? Basically, how do you know what you’re buying :)
For example (sorry in French!)
I don’t have any pearls for now

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Si basically is it worth it or should I wait and save up for a higher budget (which I would prefer not to have to do)
Oh, and by small I mean tiny is fine :)

I don’t know if pearl paradise delivers to France, but I would check out their stock: https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/pearl-earrings. 100 should be fine for a pair of nice good quality freshwater studs, I feel. Pearl is June’s birthstone so you can get good deals I think. In general I find jewelry very expensive in most of Europe. I never bought jewelry when I lived there.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know if pearl paradise delivers to France, but I would check out their stock: https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/pearl-earrings. 100 should be fine for a pair of nice good quality freshwater studs, I feel. Pearl is June’s birthstone so you can get good deals I think. In general I find jewelry very expensive in most of Europe. I never bought jewelry when I lived there.

Thank you, unfortunately they don’t have a european website. Here is the link I forgot to put, most are perles de culture d’eau douce which is freshwater pearls

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PP delivers to UK for certain.

Can't go wrong with PP IMHO, they are my go to vendor for the good stuff.

Please note that I treat imports as one way transactions as it is a pain to return anything.

Also, please consider the additional cost of custom and duty charges.

DK :))

Thank you, unfortunately they don’t have a european website. Here is the link I forgot to put, most are perles de culture d’eau douce which is freshwater pearls

I unfortunately don’t speak French so I can’t tell you if those pearls will be of the same quality as PP can offer. It might be worth seeing if PP can deliver to France, customs etc inclusive.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I am reluctant to do international because of the duty fees
Are there specific questions I could ask the salespeople regarding their pearls?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask if they could provide a pic of the actual item you are considering.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I would ask if they could provide a pic of the actual item you are considering.

There are pics of the pearls on the link upthread :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are pics of the pearls on the link upthread :)

I believe they are generic stock photos and not the actual products one would be getting.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I believe they are generic stock photos and not the actual products one would be getting.

I have seen them in the shop and they are quite similar, they look quite nice, « shiny », I’m just not sure of the price points

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I have seen them in the shop and they are quite similar, they look quite nice, « shiny », I’m just not sure of the price points

Except that they look bigger on the website :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have a look at those on offer at PP for comparison purposes.

I am not au fait with the charges associated with import custom and duty, therefore I cannot comment how much to add on top, sorry!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except that they look bigger on the website :)

In that case, read the descriptions carefully for size information and have a ruler to hand.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
100 what? Euros? I see that the rate for VAT is 20% in France. So add on to any import from outside the EU: 20% VAT, any duty your government decides to impose on finished jewellery, plus shipping and customs agent fees (often around 15-20 euros) plus international currency transaction charges....

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
100 what? Euros? I see that the rate for VAT is 20% in France. So add on to any import from outside the EU: 20% VAT, any duty your government decides to impose on finished jewellery, plus shipping and customs agent fees (often around 15-20 euros) plus international currency transaction charges....

Yes euros. I’m not doing international shipping it will be too expensive I would rather invest the money in the pearls :)

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Are there specific things you should ask like treatments or something?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akoyas are normally "pinked", and untreated ones are uncommon and more expensive as they tend to be better quality to start with, however I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Natural white akoyas are also possible (and very beautiful they are too). Most akoyas are bleached to white, then some will be pinked. It's only the most faint blush. Bleaching and pinking and buffing/polishing are standard and will not be mentioned normally.
If all you want is a shiny white round pearls necklace it might be a good idea to consider top quality freshwater pearls as well. Cheaper.
The biggest problem you will have with any white round pearls is that competition between sellers tends to be on price so many will be balancing quality and price.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in NZ
The exchange rate is terrible at the best of times
I buy from America if i can't get things locally
Even though we are a long way away

To add insult to injury just recently the govt has imposed what we call the Amazon tax

but when im working again the very first thing im going to buy for myself is pearls from pearl paradise

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The French website does not have a lot of info about the pearls at all. I’d also recommend Pearl Paradise, they do have 15% off at the moment.

Have you looked at Etsy? This seller is good, responsive and efficient. Plus she has a huge inventory so you can experiment with different sizes and colours. P and P is free over $35.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
The French website does not have a lot of info about the pearls at all. I’d also recommend Pearl Paradise, they do have 15% off at the moment.

Have you looked at Etsy? This seller is good, responsive and efficient. Plus she has a huge inventory so you can experiment with different sizes and colours. P and P is free over $35.

Thank you, the issue is the import taxes which are quite high, so I’m looking for à European source

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies, due to the high import taxes (I checked) I am looking for a European vendor.
Are there any specific questions I should ask about the pearls to determine quality?

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for your replies, due to the high import taxes (I checked) I am looking for a European vendor.
Are there any specific questions I should ask about the pearls to determine quality?

Yes.

You should ask how the vendor grades their pearls -- what does a "AAA" pearl mean? What does a "AA" pearl mean? There is no standard grading system, so each vendor can define his or her own quality levels.

You should ask for photos of any blemishes that would be visible on whatever piece you're considering. You should not purchase pearls with deep pitting or highly visible, significant blemishes.

I have many jewelers in my country with pearls, is 100 enough for small studs or small pendant ones ? Which type of pearls? Basically, how do you know what you’re buying :)
For example (sorry in French!)
I don’t have any pearls for now

I bought some beautiful freshwater bespoke natural coloured earrings for my sisters wedding last year from a UK pearl jewellery making business -https://www.pearlescence.co.uk/ - the lady who runs the company knows alot about pearls and responded really quickly to emails =)2=)2

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I bought some beautiful freshwater bespoke natural coloured earrings for my sisters wedding last year from a UK pearl jewellery making business -https://www.pearlescence.co.uk/ - the lady who runs the company knows alot about pearls and responded really quickly to emails =)2=)2

Thank you I will have a look :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results