shape
carat
color
clarity

New to Diamonds: Engagement Ring decision

MLM123

Rough_Rock
I'm a total novice and picking a ring to propose next month. I have a budget of up to 2K. I found the ring below online for under budget used. From reading I understand the EGL Cert can't be relied, I spoke with the shop owner who assured me the center stone is cut nicely, not cloudy and eye clear.

I'd like to hear your opinions on the appearance and quality from what you can see (understanding that you cant tell much from a few photos). What are your thoughts on how the diamond is mounted, is it tacky? Any idea the age based on the style?

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

Attachments

• 00E0E_9Fm5Kx1UWG9_1200x900.jpg
    00E0E_9Fm5Kx1UWG9_1200x900.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 53

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I adore that mounting, and I think that's a pretty good deal. Can't go wrong with a step cut in a high color! And I love how the setting frames the diamond.

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks like a lovely ring (I ADORE step cuts!) but I can't tell a lot from the pictures about how it would perform. I think you probably need video to see how the steps "work," and maybe an ASET and/or other "visual" reports. ???

I'm horrible at the technical aspect of stone choosing, so I'm calling in @Matthews1127 @Jimmianne and @OoohShiny. They are AMAZING at evaluating these kind of things! I'm sure they'll help you with your decision!

Can't wait to see what you decide on! :appl:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty ring. I'm no step cut expert, so I don't have a lot to say about the diamond. Although difficult to tell from one picture, I do see some body color. Take that comment with a grain of salt--I'm very sensitive to color. If EGL says E-F, it's probably equivalent to a GIA G to H. The setting is old fashioned in a good way. I like the ring in your other post, too.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Love, love, love the mounting. Looks like a family heirloom. So elegantly timeless. And the way the setting is where the diamond is mounted is such that it will give the appearance of a larger stone.
As Natasha said, even if it’s G-H color it will still be great. This says VS1... would be ideal if it is not lower than VS2. There’s not the “forgiveness” on clarity with emerald cuts as there is with rounds. I don’t know if an SI1 would be acceptable - someone more knowledgeable about emerald cuts will hopefully comment. I have a .86 emerald cut that is a G color, VS2 with a GIA lab report that’s gorgeous.
With regard to the EGL USA element, I recall from a number of years back that while EGL Israel reports were a joke, the EGL USA was legit... maybe someone here has more recent data on that.
Can you request some really close of photos? That would be really helpful.
Also, do you feel comfortable disclosing the vendor/website? I am very familiar with a jeweler who has an internet presence that specializes in this type of piece and they are extremely respectable and trustworthy. If it is from them I would have no hesitation, you would be getting a quality ring.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty ring. I'm no step cut expert, so I don't have a lot to say about the diamond. Although difficult to tell from one picture, I do see some body color. Take that comment with a grain of salt--I'm very sensitive to color. If EGL says E-F, it's probably equivalent to a GIA G to H. The setting is old fashioned in a good way. I like the ring in your other post, too.

I’m picking up color, as well....and I have a G colored EC.
HOWEVER, the lighting & surroundings in which this ring is being photographed looks “creamy”. Step cuts pick up every color in their environment, and almost mimic that color, like a chameleon. I’m going to wager that stone is closer to H-I, if graded by GIA.
It looks clean, and crisp, as far as clarity. Even if included, the inclusions are not GLARING. No obvious, carbon inclusions, and nothing against or directly under the table. It’s very eye clean.
As for performance, I cannot comment.
My recommendation is exactly what others have already recommended: get videos of the ring in motion. Tilt the ring so the Diamond is positioned at N-S, and rock the ring from L-R, and R-L. You should see the steps light up, like a staircase...one step at a time, moving from table to center & back up the same way. No steps lit up at the same time, and certainly, no dark spots across the belly or in dead center.
Try to get videos inside and outside to compare light environments; diamonds behave differently, depending on lighting.
This could be a very fortunate find.
Please share with us what you learn/decide.
If, after you have evaluated this ring, and you decide to pass, there are many of us around who are more than willing to help you find your “perfect” stone.
I’m thrilled you are searching for a step cut!! This is very exciting!!! :appl:
Thank you, @Heathcat24 for tagging me!!! There’s nothing more exciting for me than searching for that “unicorn”!!! :kiss2:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This appears to me to be a vintage ring and, if so, I have a perspective on them and I am curious as to how other PSers feel about it: I think that vintage rings fall into a different category... they often aren’t what we look for in modern day rings, but that shouldn’t cause them to be eliminated. Part of the beauty of them is their “imperfections”... both in that the mounting may show a little wear or not be crafted of today’s CAD/CAM standards, and the diamonds won’t be of advanced cutting techniques... and that’s okay, IMO. If you had a “family” ring passed down for generations, it would be more like this ring you are considering here... not like the rings we are usually evaluating on PS. Personally, I love what you are going for and I’ve purchased a number of pieces over the years in this genre.

MLM123

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for giving me the nudge to get off the fence. I went ahead and bought it rather than missing the boat, my GF wanted something unique and likes the 3 stone or side baguette look. I think she'll love it! Was an Ebay listing (got a bit of a discount with a phone call (will be polished up before shipping) :)).

Listing and more pics:, still look like a fair deal?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-78-ct-14...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It’s gorgeous. I’m sure she will love it. Congratulations on finding such a special ring.

MLM123

Rough_Rock
This appears to me to be a vintage ring and, if so, I have a perspective on them and I am curious as to how other PSers feel about it: I think that vintage rings fall into a different category... they often aren’t what we look for in modern day rings, but that shouldn’t cause them to be eliminated. Part of the beauty of them is their “imperfections”... both in that the mounting may show a little wear or not be crafted of today’s CAD/CAM standards, and the diamonds won’t be of advanced cutting techniques... and that’s okay, IMO. If you had a “family” ring passed down for generations, it would be more like this ring you are considering here... not like the rings we are usually evaluating on PS. Personally, I love what you are going for and I’ve purchased a number of pieces over the years in this genre.

My soon to be fiancé and I are vintage as well :). Will be our second marriages with grown kids. Would love to hear opinions on when the ring was made. Will make the story better when I give her a used ring. I'm not cheap, just nostalgic...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I don’t believe anyone thinks you are being cheap!!!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so excited for you! I think shes going to love it! :kiss2: I would love to receive that ring.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I agree... I would love to receive a ring like that, as well!!!

MLM123

Rough_Rock
Thanks all, as a practical matter, I have a 30 day return policy and the ring hasn't shipped yet. With the additional photos and link I provided, if someone sees something that is concerning with the additional info provided, I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared it with me as a reply or privately.

It may be awkward to point out issues after a purchase is made, in my case I would greatly appreciate it as I have a short return period.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30 days is a good return policy. Check it out and check with your fiancée. If she doesn’t love it, back it goes! But it looks pretty clean. I love the classic setting, and with the slight illusion setting framing the center stone, it’ll give it a larger presence. Congratulations! Please come back with real time pics and your impressions!!!

~fellow vintage lover here :lickout:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all, as a practical matter, I have a 30 day return policy and the ring hasn't shipped yet. With the additional photos and link I provided, if someone sees something that is concerning with the additional info provided, I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared it with me as a reply or privately.

It may be awkward to point out issues after a purchase is made, in my case I would greatly appreciate it as I have a short return period.

This is a dream come true!! It’s lovely, and I’m sure she’ll love it!!
Nothing in those photos gives me pause, and the Vintage aspect only adds to its charm!
Please return with your proposal & HAND SHOTS, after she says, “YES!”!!! :mrgreen2:

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks like a BEAUTIFUL ring and I'm sure she will LOVE it! I adore that setting. It's divine. And the stone looks bright and white and lovely! Thank you for posting the extra photos...

I agree! Please come back with hand shots when it's on her finger! Congratulations! :appl:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You can also take it to an independent appraiser near you when you receive it to make sure it isn't too far off of what it is being represented as. Keep in mind that an evaluation has its limits when the stone is already mounted but a reputable and experienced appraiser should be able to give you a good enough estimation of what you have. Also, if you want to get it insured (which I recommend doing) you will need the appraisal. Then, if it doesn't check out, you can return it. Even if the color and/or clarity don't pan out as listed but you are okay with what they are then just enjoy it! Also, you definitely want to have a qualified appraiser inspect for any structural issues so you know the diamond has no inherent defects that would affect its durability. Also, he/she can ensure that the stone is secure in the prongs (if it needs adjustment but you love everything else you can have that done with a competent jeweler local to you). You also can see in person if it "sparkles" to your liking (obviously emerald cuts have a sparkle of their own, so I am saying in the context of an emerald cut, of course!). This is really exciting!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's amazing. Great find!!!! Return policy is good, and make sure you ask her to tell you if she is not in love with it as it CAN be returned. Tell her not to waffle- so many stories here of the fiancee deciding after the return policy that it's not "her." I really love it. I think it's beautiful.

Sunnybopeep

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I think this is a great find, and I hope your soon-to-be fiancé loves it! I can tell you put a lot of effort into searching for the perfect ring within your budget, and you did such a fantastic job! :)

Hopefully you can give us hand shots of the ring on her hand soon :P2

MLM123

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the advice! I will take it to a local jeweler to inspect, I'm certainly not qualified to evaluate the stability of the mounts or quality.

If anyone has opinions as to the age of the ring I'd love hear opinions.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate all the advice! I will take it to a local jeweler to inspect, I'm certainly not qualified to evaluate the stability of the mounts or quality.

If anyone has opinions as to the age of the ring I'd love hear opinions.

I’m going to date it somewhere between 1930-1960’s.
I love the three stone setting with tapered baguettes. I own a semi-mount very similar to the one you are purchasing. It was a bespoke piece another PSer’s mother had created in Boston, MA, years ago.
I’d say the center is modern cut (I don’t see a culet), but it appears to be cut in an older style (broad facets, and squatty l x w ratio). 1930’s might be too early, but I’d be surprised if the setting was younger than 1969.
THIS IS FUN!!!
Anyone else care to throw ideas out there?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Independent appraiser, not jeweler. Unless you tell a jeweler that it’s a “family piece” (vs. inherited it) and ask them “what can you tell me about this”? Not “I bought this from somewhere that isn’t here and want you to say i got the best deal (they won’t, but they will probably offer to sell you something that’s “better”...)

(meaning, find someone independent—who has nothing to sell you but their knowledge)

Still LOVE the look of that ring!! So excited for you (both)!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what the inscription says - it's 'old style' fancy writing that looks to have been worn away, either through wearing or polishing (or maybe resizing) so it might give some clue if it can be read :)

MLM123

Rough_Rock
Hoping the ring will be in today. I'll post more pics and a video when in hand. I'm grateful for all the advice!

MLM123

Rough_Rock
The ring arrived today, please take a look at the videos and new pics and offer up your thoughts. How well does it show vs the EGL USA grading? It looks beautiful to.me, but I have lousy vision and want to make sure there aren't glaring issues before the return period expires and I give it to my fiance.

050.jpg 20190316_150929.jpg 20190316_151003.jpg

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
The emerald cut looks like it has good performance, but IMO this illusion setting makes the diamond look smaller than it is.
I personally prefer the other ring you were looking at or here are some more emerald cut options (please make sure the size is +/-2 sizes at the most from her's)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14k-White-Gold-and-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Size-8-5/312507287592?hash=item48c2e2c828:g:yPYAAOSwujBZzWns&LH_ItemCondition=4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/663125...=sr_gallery-1-42&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

I love this one:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...mond-58ct-e-vs1-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-r7563 and see if David will put it in an inexpensive solitaire.

I can't see the crown on this one, but:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/568313...ng&ref=sr_gallery-2-19&organic_search_click=1 and again placed in an inexpensive solitaire.

Last edited:

MLM123

Rough_Rock
The emerald cut looks like it has good performance, but IMO this illusion setting makes the diamond look smaller than it is.
I personally prefer the other ring you were looking at or here are some more emerald cut options (please make sure the size is +/-2 sizes at the most from her's)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14k-White-Gold-and-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Size-8-5/312507287592?hash=item48c2e2c828:g:yPYAAOSwujBZzWns&LH_ItemCondition=4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/663125...=sr_gallery-1-42&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

I love this one:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...mond-58ct-e-vs1-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-r7563 and see if David will put it in an inexpensive solitaire.

I can't see the crown on this one, but:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/568313...ng&ref=sr_gallery-2-19&organic_search_click=1 and again placed in an inexpensive solitaire.

My fiancé wants something a bit different and pointed out 3 ring settings (mostly with baguettes) as some of her favorites when looking at pictures together. I'm steering away from solitaire settings but think she'd like the other ring I posted about very much since it has the unusual stone mounting(fish tail I think).

Do you think I could do better picking one of the stones you posted and a separate unusual ring with side stones? I paid $1800 for this ring for reference, could spend a few hundred more.

Last edited:

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I think the price is appropriate but personally would not appreciate the ring as a whole.
Even though I like 3 stone settings with emeralds, this illusion mounting has a very large frame by comparison to the diamond.
illusion.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results