shape
carat
color
clarity

New to Diamonds: Engagement Ring decision

MLM123

Rough_Rock
I agree, frame proportion being too big was a concern that had me on the fence. Seeing it in person, the proportions look great. Of course, I'm half blind :)

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Did you happen to see the first two links I added beforehand?
Both of them are emerald three stones with smaller frames.

MLM123

Rough_Rock
Yes, I looked at your links... thanks! For #1 I'd like a bigger stone. .5 is a bit small. #2 looks like a great deal, the setting is a bit plain, but the size and grading of the diamond looks almost to good to be true. I Is this a know dealer on this forum?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks amazing! But it doesn’t matter what WE think. Have you asked your fiancé (within the return period) if she likes it?

MLM123

Rough_Rock
Sage advice. I showed my fiance pictures of 8 different rings last night (including this ring), she picked the one I bought her. Whew, it's a keeper :)

I have 1 more pic, do these marks mean anything to determine age or origin?

20190316_203603.jpg

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Glad she loved it!

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
Sage advice. I showed my fiance pictures of 8 different rings last night (including this ring), she picked the one I bought her. Whew, it's a keeper :)

I have 1 more pic, do these marks mean anything to determine age or origin?

20190316_203603.jpg

I LOVE LOVE the original ring! So happy your intended loves it too. It’s a unique stunner.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the original. Waited with baited breath, while you made your decision. I have been Team EC since your first post (big shocker), but HER choice is what matters!
I’m so thrilled she chose the ring you purchased!!
Please come back with follow up hand shots!!! :mrgreen2:

MLM123

Rough_Rock
Independent appraiser, not jeweler. Unless you tell a jeweler that it’s a “family piece” (vs. inherited it) and ask them “what can you tell me about this”? Not “I bought this from somewhere that isn’t here and want you to say i got the best deal (they won’t, but they will probably offer to sell you something that’s “better”...)

(meaning, find someone independent—who has nothing to sell you but their knowledge)

Still LOVE the look of that ring!! So excited for you (both)!

Thanks for the advice. I'm in CT and did not see any PS recommended appraisers. From a google search I found the folks below. I'll bring it to them for an insurance appraisal unless someone has a reccommended vendor near by.

https://www.jewelrestore.net/jewelry-appraisals

MLM123

Rough_Rock
I took the ring to the appraiser, You folks nailed it. the diamond did have some color and graded out as a G using a Lazare Master set as reference (EGL USA graded it E-F). He graded clarity as SI1 (EGL graded at VS1). He said it is well cut and eye clean with no dark or prominent inclusions. No enhancements.

Interestingly he was familiar with the band saying he has a relative who has one almost identical and that it was from the 40s. The setting is newer, he mentioned the prongs have no wear and that he suspect it was recently re-set (he complimented the work saying it was very well set.)

Info is preliminary, he still has the ring to complete a full appraisal. My lady is out of town for a few weeks, popping the question in early April. She's going to love it! I'm just glad there are no major issues.

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's GREAT! Congratulations! Make sure you come back with pics once it's on her finger. It's certainly a LOVELY ring! BEAUTIFUL find! :appl:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you like that jeweler, because now you can use him for cleanings and whatnot. Sounds like he made a fair assessment of your ring (and didn't bash the fact that you didn't buy it from him). A G colored stone is VERY WHITE (SCORE!!!) and eye-clean graded conservatively SI1 is not out of the question. Nice that he complimented the workmanship and also had a backstory about a similar setting.

I really love the design and am so glad your lady is going to love it. You got a really nice product for a very nice price. !! Yay !!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love that ring! I like illusion settings, and had my r-ring diamond mounted in one back in the early '90s when "vintage" style was not hot and "vintage" was still considered just some old out of style ring. I don't think that illusion mounting takes away from the diamond at all. The only thing is, the rhodium plating will wear off and to keep the look up, the mounting might need replating once in a while, or annually.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love that ring! I like illusion settings, and had my r-ring diamond mounted in one back in the early '90s when "vintage" style was not hot and "vintage" was still considered just some old out of style ring. I don't think that illusion mounting takes away from the diamond at all. The only thing is, the rhodium plating will wear off and to keep the look up, the mounting might need replating once in a while, or annually.

Or, to keep the "vintage vibe" just let the plating wear off and enjoy the heck out of it!

MLM123

Rough_Rock
I hope you like that jeweler, because now you can use him for cleanings and whatnot. Sounds like he made a fair assessment of your ring (and didn't bash the fact that you didn't buy it from him). A G colored stone is VERY WHITE (SCORE!!!) and eye-clean graded conservatively SI1 is not out of the question. Nice that he complimented the workmanship and also had a backstory about a similar setting.

I really love the design and am so glad your lady is going to love it. You got a really nice product for a very nice price. !! Yay !!

I had a great experience with this Jeweler. He is an owner/proprietor that seems to know his stuff and wasn't pushy at all. I went back this afternoon and brought him a Movado watch I've had in a drawer for years needing a new band. He earned my business so far.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! It looks great on her finger! I'm impressed overall with what a good job you've done.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Glad she loves it. I like her set too. Best wishes for your marriage!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I loved reading this whole thread just now. This ring is a stunner!! What a find! Congratulations on your wedding - I wish you much happiness!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results