shape
carat
color
clarity

New setting, local jewler.........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Here is the deal..I have another concern which is bothering me a lot...and I feel like I am hurting my hubby''s feelings... ok here is the deal. I brought my ring to a local jewler today to make sure the setting was ok and to see if he could notice the imperfections. He noticed in like two seconds but not only that he also said that the diamond is not set as good as it should be, not too bad but not perfect. Then he went onto tell me that my diamond is a fair cut diamond and that no matter how many times I change the setting, I may never be happy. He said it does not sparkle like it should and that I should not bought the stone on-line. He said that my diamond is poorly cut, blah, blah, blah, it made me feel like S***!!! I know my stone is not perfect, but as far as radiants go to me, it is fine. The only thing is that bothers me a little is that it measures out at 1.00 carat and is a 1.20, but other than that it looks great to me and everyone else that sees it. Well being 4.5 months pregnant and very hormonal I got into my car and cried like a baby to my husband. I told him I wanted a new stone, blah, blah blah.. what should I do???

Should I put weight in what this man is saying and get rid of my stone? I am not 100% happy with my stone and never have been but it does have setimental value to me and I know it is not a bad diamond, should I suck it up and set it into a pave setting to make the stone look bigger so I can be happy for a several years or should I sell my stone?????

Also, if I do change my setting again, into a pave, my wedding band does not match, is it sac-religious to change wedding bands???

Thanks again.........

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Shana, I replied on your last thread on this issue. Don''t let this jeweler bully you into buying a diamond from him!

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Yea, I thought I would post another topic about it. I replied to your other one, thanks, you are sooo sweet..

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say find a different local jeweler.

TCBug

Rough_Rock
Honey -- congratulations on your pregnancy! You are going through a wonderful time full of mystery and raging hormones!

I don''t think you should make any big decisions about your diamond or its setting right now. I''m a bad person to give this advice (never having been pregnant myself) but I DO know that hormones can throw you way off "kelter." (I went through early menopause at 39 and had OH SO MANY strange thoughts and obsessions.)

Give it some time. And I agree with the advice here: do not play into the drama your local jeweler created. He may be right; he is probably wrong. But decide that when you feel more like yourself.
19.gif

momof3

Rough_Rock
sounds like an overly aggressive sales pitch to me...don''t go back to the jerk.

how did you feel before you walked in there? if you were happy with it than be happy.

if you were uncertain before, then definitely deal with it later. pregnancy is definitely not the time to cut hair, change rings, etc...
28.gif
how would you have reacted pre-prego?

i''ve been there!!! emotions - happy, sad, anger can come out of you and it can be like an out of body experience...

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind thoughts!! Well as far as my stone is concerned, I have never been 100% happy with it. It measures out smaller than its carat weight which bothers me more than anything. That is why I am going to put it into a halo setting, I think.... It sparles to me, not as much as a round stone, but it has a different look to it. It is a G color, si1, eyeclean stone. It is not a perfect cut, has a very thick girdle, is a shallow stone, but it does sparkle.... I get compliments on it all the time.... maybe people do not know any better but I doubt people would be constanlty complimenting me about it if it was that bad. Another thing that I thought about last night is, the first time I brought my ring to this jewler, about 1 year ago, to have the prongs replaced because my stone was loose, he told me how pretty my stone was and it was not a perfect cut but it a very pretty stone. I had him do an apprasial for insurance and he appraised the stone @ $8000. I know they inflate those prices a little but, if it was that bad, would it be worth $8k, unset?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2006 9:39:04 AM
Author: Shana Jean
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind thoughts!! Well as far as my stone is concerned, I have never been 100% happy with it. It measures out smaller than its carat weight which bothers me more than anything. That is why I am going to put it into a halo setting, I think.... It sparles to me, not as much as a round stone, but it has a different look to it. It is a G color, si1, eyeclean stone. It is not a perfect cut, has a very thick girdle, is a shallow stone, but it does sparkle.... I get compliments on it all the time.... maybe people do not know any better but I doubt people would be constanlty complimenting me about it if it was that bad. Another thing that I thought about last night is, the first time I brought my ring to this jewler, about 1 year ago, to have the prongs replaced because my stone was loose, he told me how pretty my stone was and it was not a perfect cut but it a very pretty stone. I had him do an apprasial for insurance and he appraised the stone @ $8000. I know they inflate those prices a little but, if it was that bad, would it be worth $8k, unset?
So OTHER people really like the stone. It is not Bad. But your emotions are all out of wack and YOU have never really loved this stone. That opens you up to this jeweler''s manipulation. Wait till you feel more like yourself and decide what YOU want to do.

YOU are the one that needs to be happy with the stone. Not other people and not the jeweler.
9.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Do not listen to this jeweler! A professional salesperson would never belittle a customers jewelry and basically tell you that you have a terrible stone. That is just uncalled for. Someone like that does not deserve your business, so I''d find another jeweler. Please don''t let this guy get to you. If you want to get a new diamond, do it on YOUR terms, not because this guy was a unprofessional jerk. He wants you to go back to him so that you''ll buy another stone from him, but IMO he just lost your business. I''d probably go back to him and use those pregnancy hormones to tell him exactly what you think.
27.gif

Good luck, and stay away from him!

Jean

Shiny_Rock
You guys are right!!!!!! I think that I am getting way to emotional about this. I am going to go with my gut and set my stone into a halo setting and be happy and end it!!!! Thanks for the advice yet again!
20.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 11:52:01 AM
Author: Shana Jean
You guys are right!!!!!! I think that I am getting way to emotional about this. I am going to go with my gut and set my stone into a halo setting and be happy and end it!!!! Thanks for the advice yet again!
20.gif

Good! Make sure you show us pictures when it''s done!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 9:14:50 PM
Author:Shana Jean
I brought my ring to a local jewler today to make sure the setting was ok and to see if he could notice the imperfections. He noticed in like two seconds but not only that he also said that the diamond is not set as good as it should be, not too bad but not perfect. Then he went onto tell me that my diamond is a fair cut diamond and that no matter how many times I change the setting, I may never be happy. He said it does not sparkle like it should and that I should not bought the stone on-line. He said that my diamond is poorly cut, blah, blah, blah, it made me feel like S***!!! I know my stone is not perfect, but as far as radiants go to me, it is fine.
I did this when trying to decide to keep my stone and everyone I took it to said it was beautiful and I shouldn't switch it out.

Except one.

This woman said, "oh well that's a poorly cut cushion (it's omc) - it should be cut like *this*" and handed me a stone that was more square, crushed ice, whiter, but with huge black boogers under the table. The stone was obviously not as good at symmetry and leagues away in clarity - but it *still* made me doubt my stone and myself to hear her say "that's poorly cut". What made me feel better was that her idea of well cut was horrid!! But still, even now it lingers.... I still show my diamond and I still get gasps and wows and this is amazing... but they're a blur. The woman who said it was poorly cut is very vivid.

If you doubt your stone, do it on your own beliefs - and this is true in anything. Don't trust the opinions of those who wish to sell us something of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results