shape
carat
color
clarity

new setting for me 3 carat stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking for a new setting for my 3 carat RB stone (pics on SMTR) and hopefully more pics here in due course. It is currently sitting in this not so flattering setting and am thinking of either a "Lynn B" setting, with matching full eternity band (flush) - which I''ve been comtemplating for a while now;

or this:
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=275 (which looks a bit too delicate but so breathtakingly beautiful)

or this:
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=274 (with smaller pave around the stone).

My ring size is about 4.25.

Pls let me know what you think. Thank you

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LienTN, I am one of the few on this board who will say that I LIKE a big stone in a halo and that second setting is just gorgeous! The one change I would make is to have the airspace between the main stone and the pave eliminated or minimized as much as possible, but that is a totally personal thing.

Whatever setting you choose though, your ring is going to be stunning!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

You stone is gorgeous, and I LOVE Lynn''s setting. I think it would loook fabulous- that huge stone with those beautiful fishtail bands... I do like the 1st Leon one you posted, but the problem is with the wedding band and it sitting flush. And the 3rd choice is nice too, but I would not halo a 3 ct stone...its just too much, IMHO. My opinion- Lynn B''s setting for your lovely stone. YUMMO!!!!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lien,
I''m sticking with a plain platinum setting. That way, you see a beautiful stone and not an entire ring (as someone here pointed out).

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
I like the first one, but then I love Lynn B''s setting too.

In the end, I''m simple and totally LOVE the setting your stone is in now.

When people see my ring, they comment on the stone''s beauty, so I feel BIG stones do not need to be enhanced
1.gif

kathleen

Rough_Rock
Lynne B''s is a given beauty. You definitely could not go wrong with that setting. Between the 2 Leon''s, I loooooove the 1st one. I believe that was the ring in Bling Diva''s avatar. Has anyone seen side shots of that setting? That''s one that I''ve also got my eye on.
emsmile.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love that first leon!!! i don''t know about it being ''too'' delicate because lynn''s setting is about 2mm or i think a hair under so it IS pretty darn thin..you could probably have leon make the bands 2mm as well for stability. i love the split shank look because i think it also makes the stone look bigger. i know when my rings separate and there is skin showing between the rings, somehow it makes my diamond look bigger! which i love hehee.

i don''t like the idea of halo''ing a 3c stone especially on a size 4 finger...i think that is overkill for me and i rarely have seen it where i like it done in pictures, esp on small hands. i love the idea of a 3c shining on it''s own!!

i vote for the first leon or something like lynn''s setting but i like the leon split shank idea best.

widget

Ideal_Rock
What Mara said!
1.gif

widget

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the lynnb setting and the split shank posted above. Both those settings would be lovely and highlight the center stone. However, I think a halo on a 3 ct stone on a small hand would look like a cocktail ring and the center stone might get lost.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with many of the others, I think a halo on a 3ct ring is overkill and will just make it look like a cocktail ring. On the other hand, I think either Lynn B''s OR the first Leon would be INCREDIBLE!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the split shank Leon... Honestly, all of them are great options!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara too. I don''t mind large stone haloed but you have small fingers.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t certain what Lynn B''s setting looked like so checked it out on SMTR. That''s my choice for your 3c. beauty -elegant, classy. timeless.
10.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I really like the first one
36.gif
!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think if you have a kick''in stone, there''s no need to embellish it at all and the current plain shank is perfect. But...if you must change it, the first one shows off the center stone more than the halo does. Just my opinion though...Why do you want to change it?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, thank you. And I agree with yr suggestion. I thought the same too abt the airspace.

I''d really love the pave, but almost everyone including my hubby says it''d make the ring too showy. I wish I could try one on of the same or similar size as mine to see what it''d look like but I haven''t been able to.
7.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lien,
I was going back and forth between a pave setting and a plain platinum one. I''ve decided to simplify things further and have LM make the most delicate plain platinum possible.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani, thank you. I do love Lynn B's setting but I also love the other 2. I just can't decide. I wish there were a type of jacket for e-ring where you can interchange.

You're right abt the 2nd choice not sitting flush w the wedding band. Can I not just wear the e-ring on its own then?
11.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,

My hubby is of the same sentiment. Oh, I don''t know. I go back and forth.
4.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3hearts, I felt the same way too, but then I see so many beautiful settings on PS and I drooollll over them!
3.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, Kathleen, Kcoursolle, Neatfreak, FireGoddess, Gypsy and Widget, thank you.

Would I have to send my stone to Leon or can I ask him to do the setting and then send it to me here in S'pore (then I could ask a local jeweller to fit the stone in). I absolutely do trust Leon (he has a stellar reputation here on PS) but am worried abt sending the stone all the way from S'pore to the US and back. Anything could happen. Our mail, between the US, UK and Australia to S'pore, has got lost quite a few times.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of Singapore setters, will it be cheaper to set my soon-to-be violet stone in Spore?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isaku, Diamond Dana, thank you. I do love Lynn B''s setting.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surfgirl, thank you for yr reply and suggestion.

The current setting is only meant to be temporary. It is very thin and the WG is very cheap and actually looks it (it doesn''t really show in pics but IRL it looks well not so flattering). It has to be changed, Iam afraid. Thank you though. But the question is which one of the 3 and to be honest, I can''t decide. I''m so hopeless!
6.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends on what you want, Harriet. It is certainly cheaper here, but the quality is so variable. I have mine set here or in HK out of convenience more than anything else. I wish we had masters like Leon or MM here.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love both but think the first one would be best with that size stone and the tiny-ness (I have finger envy!) of your finger...how prretty it will be...

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 9:43:35 AM
Author: Harriet
Lien,
I''m sticking with a plain platinum setting. That way, you see a beautiful stone and not an entire ring (as someone here pointed out).
I second that. You can jazz up the solitaire with one, or two bling bling band.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that I am sooo flattered to be "in the running"
2.gif
and please keep us posted with what you decide.

Whatever you choose, I know it''s gonna be *KILLER*!
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are all pretty, but my vote goes to the split shank.
30.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love love LOVE LynnB''s set. Buuuuuut the split shank Leon is GORGEOUS also. I''m not crazy about the halo only because your finger is so tiny and your diamond is so big-it might look over the top on you.

You''ve got a tough decision...one possible tie breaker could be the wedding band. Do you want to wear a wedding band? If so, I think you should definitely do a LynnB setting. I don''t think I would like the two Leons with a wedding band...plus I think Leon himself usually recommends not wearing a wedding band with his engagement rings for aesthetic and practical reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results