color
clarity

New series "Gem Hunt" to air on the Travel Channel in Octobe

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: New series "Gem Hunt" to air on the Travel Channel in Oc

JewelFreak|1385592279|3564181 said:
I doubt they're even real gems, TL. I wondered that in the Colombia one when the "mob boss" (tatatadaaaa, danger!) spread a lot of big green stones on the table -- they were so clean, you could see it even from a distance on tv. Glass, what do you bet? :roll:

TL said:
In fact, we could make a killing selling our stones to Ron and his crew of danger-loving, hard core negotiators. :bigsmile: They could feel like winners having lived through the lion's den of hardball negotiations here at PS; and we'd feel like winners for having sold our high quality stones for the astronomical prices they seem so willing to pay! Win-win!

Let's find out where they're filming next & plant ourselves under a palm tree. I have a few clunkers I'd reluctantly let them bargain me out of for $30K, so they can re-sell them for $300K.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak,
The above quote you have is not mine, but it belongs to Minous. Just clarifying. ;))

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock

I also find the constant mention of the gemstone handbags very annoying. I don't want to hear about the bags again unless they actually show one. I wonder if Diane has actually made one yet. I searched for 'Diane Robinson gemstone handbags' and found none. I agree the emeralds look suspicious; so big and clean. The search for the big pad sapphire was unrealistic. At least, the Ron guy admitted it was an impossible quest. Haven't had time to see the latest episode yet.

AN

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just watched the Cambodia episode. I found it kind of amusing they'd never heard of blue zircon. I keep thinking I should go cancel my timer but then I decide to watch one more show.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock

what were the critiques of Prospectors? I quite liked the few episodes I caught. Really exciting to watch them pulling huge quartz and aquamarine out of pockets in the mountains.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy|1385618868|3564388 said:
I just watched the Cambodia episode. I found it kind of amusing they'd never heard of blue zircon. I keep thinking I should go cancel my timer but then I decide to watch one more show.

I know, right?! Its like potato chips - you can't stop once you start! :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Art Nouveau|1385614955|3564372 said:
I also find the constant mention of the gemstone handbags very annoying. I don't want to hear about the bags again unless they actually show one. I wonder if Diane has actually made one yet. I searched for 'Diane Robinson gemstone handbags' and found none. I agree the emeralds look suspicious; so big and clean. The search for the big pad sapphire was unrealistic. At least, the Ron guy admitted it was an impossible quest. Haven't had time to see the latest episode yet.

AN

I found one of her handbags on display in her twitter account.

She apparently is launching a new collection in March.

diane_robinson_handbag.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1385791137|3565075 said:
Art Nouveau|1385614955|3564372 said:

AN

I found one of her handbags on display in her twitter account.

She apparently is launching a new collection in March.

Huh. I hope no one will find it insulting if I say her handbag is definitely not my cup of tea.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

It looks like if scary, like it has tendrils.

Are the old episodes available anywhere? I looked at the homepage for the show and did not find them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its on the Travel channel - last night, I caught the Madagascar sapphire episode. All I can say is Phew! Thank God they made it out alive! :roll: :wink2: :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

That handbag is not appealing to me. From the photo, the big stone on the clasp -- what is it? Sapphire? Zircon? Looks like glass. I stopped watching the show when I found myself laughing out loud at some of the ridiculous stuff. Too bad -- it's a great idea.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not sure if I would want my bag to look as though it has been body snatched by alien tentacles. :bigsmile: Definitely not my cup of tea.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1386932880|3573505 said:
That handbag is not appealing to me. From the photo, the big stone on the clasp -- what is it? Sapphire? Zircon? Looks like glass. I stopped watching the show when I found myself laughing out loud at some of the ridiculous stuff. Too bad -- it's a great idea.

--- Laurie

I feel the same way, but its like Real Housewives of Beverly Hills - I know its a waste of time, I laugh out loud and find it OTT and fake, and yet I can't pull myself away...crack tv for gem lovers (Gem Hunt, not RHoBH, lol)! :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As to the handbag, it seems like its lacking in finesse; not subtle and elegant, but does look like the blood veins growing from the alien ship in War of the Worlds...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was really hoping to see a finished handbag made with the moonstones she purchased. I am obsessed with moonstone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I had to come back and look at the that purse. Man, that is ugly and creepy to me. Where the beauty of the gemstones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The last episode on Madagascar sapphire was so disappointing. I thought they were going to the mines, but they couldn't, and in the end, they ended up with a morganite, and a tourmaline, and some big green goblin sapphire that Ron said would heat to a gorgeous blue and he could make a $160K (I forget the exact amount) profit. :confused: :-o

The blue zircon episode before that was a joke. You can find nicer blue zircons for much cheaper online than the trip they went on. Their "profit margins" were unrealistic and totally made up for television.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1387039756|3574164 said:
The last episode on Madagascar sapphire was so disappointing. I thought they were going to the mines, but they couldn't, and in the end, they ended up with a morganite, and a tourmaline, and some big green goblin sapphire that Ron said would heat to a gorgeous blue and he could make a $160K (I forget the exact amount) profit. :confused: :-o

The blue zircon episode before that was a joke. You can find nicer blue zircons for much cheaper online than the trip they went on. Their "profit margins" were unrealistic and totally made up for television.

I could not agree more. I remember that he was going to sell the sapphire for $200k - maybe that's the show we want to see: the show where they do all the negotiations leading up to these amazingly profitable sales. :wink2:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi.

I'm the contrarian, I like to watch the show. I think it gets better and better because, to me, it's less fake with each episode.
Look, you have people who don't seem to research the places they go. For example, the colombian dealer offered him the use of his helicopter to go to the mines. They refused. Even a dumb bunny like me knows how dangereous it really is to go to the emerald mines.There are banditos all around, drug cartels watcdhing the roads, but our guys say no, we want action. This shows that they are novices. There was no mention of treatments on the emeralds. I didn't think they had to be fake, only treated emeralds.

When you show you are not able to get what you came for, that is real to me. They are new entrpreneurs. Ron is looking for a new niche for his bar. He w3ill put a kiosk in the corner and sell his gems to a bunch of intoxicated beings and perhaps reach his lofty goals.

The gal doesn't bother me. It would be interesting to see her line of bags. I'll reserve judgement, as I never judge beforehand.

I'm enjoying it. Some laughs, some criticisms, but interesting non-the less.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Annette: if you look back through this thread, someone, I think it was TL, included a photo of one of her purses so you can see what you think. :))

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I finally got around to watching an episode - the sapphire/blue zircon epi.

It's just hard to take these people seriously when they say things like "Blue zircon?? I've never HEARD of these before!" :lol: It's just funny. I mean how knowledgeable can you be about gems if you've never heard of blue zircon? And if they aren't that knowledgeable, then my interest level goes way down.

However, I do like the idea that the show is bringing more attention to the hobby. I hope that it is at least doing that - and it's somewhat entertaining.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that it would be interesting if they ever show selling their gems for more anywhere close to their original claims. :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1387077243|3574477 said:
I agree that it would be interesting if they ever show selling their gems for more anywhere close to their original claims. :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

Yeppers, indeed! Could be called "The Amazing Sale" or "PT Barnum's Truisms" or "Believe it or Not..." We could have a field day with that one.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi MB,

Yes, i did see the handbag. It was meant to be a joke when i wrote, I never judge beforehand. I'm a good judger, and do it frequently., The bag didn't look that bad to me. There are so many odd handbags on the market now, this just looks like one more of them. I think I like the idea of real gemstones on handbags. Wonder the cost of those?? You think $50,000? After all, they are worth so much/

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That also looks like stringray leather on the bag, which can be pricey too.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

After this thread I had to DVR it to see for myself. It is quite entertaining in a fake reality tv way. I enjoy seeing the mines and the locales they visit but the drama voice and "secret squirrel" stuff crack me up! :rodent: I take all the prices with a grain of salt. The lead guy is a goober and the other two are kinda boring but are needed I guess to round out the cast. Overall it is better than RHOOC, RHOBH or that Jersey show that is for sure.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Goober is right!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

OK I'm going to make my comments on the Thai Ruby and Jade show. How does am experienced gemologist , like bernie, agree to buy rubies for $33,000 with testing them? TL must be screaming at the TV. I just down get it. They see many, many glass filled rubies, as the Thai Gemologist points out, but so easily buy imperial jade and 8 cts of rubies( a pair) without checking.

It could be the TV lights, but the Jade looked nice to me, the rubies at $4,000 per ct didn't look all that saturated. They also didn't have that glow that i like in rubies.

But, i enjoyed the episode. We must ask the show for the actual sale prices. Do you think we'd get them.,. They go and have appraisals done. Don't they know how inflated appraisals are?

Annette

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock

so.. I'm late to this conversation, but I caught one episode (maybe late) about him buying sapphires in sri lanka. I think the whole thing is a set up, and the guy is pretty annoying BUT it was so fun to watch, especially since no one around me really talks about gems or anything like that.

my FF liked the part at the end when it's like they bought a rough for 10k, and it would be sold for 40k! he was all like "I have to go back to sri lanka and do this part time".. men, seriously :roll:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not sure if there's a thread on the other show, "Game of Stones," but I only saw one episode, and its worse than "Gem Hunt." Telling people that goshenite is worth tens of thousands of dollars for a pebble sized stone? :shock: :shock: :shock: It's actually, last I checked, a very inexpensive gem.

They are trying to make diffused sapphires seem like incredibly rare and valuable gems too.

I had to turn it off I was so angry. It's all hype, and little education.

At least on "Gem Hunt," he tries to make an effort to find some nice colored gems.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

Ok, here I go again. I can't help it, but I do enjoy these shows. The goshenite episode had my attention. TL, they did it so well, crossing an icy river and climbing mountains to get to the mines, and then sliding down the mountain to get back so they could buy a kashmire sapphire for a small fortune without testing it. My grown son loves this show, and I'm not discouraging it. Of course he may end up with the wrong information.

Wait till you see the emerald episode in Brazil. You gotta watch it. This episode they cross a river with anacondas and pyranas, and one guy comes out of the rivers with leeches on him. I don't want to be a spoiler, but watch the episode. Don't get mad at it. Its just a show. No high blood pressure allowed.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results