carat
color
clarity

new sapphire has chips!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I bought this sapphire but when I got it home I found two fairly sizable chips in the girdle! Too big to hide behind prongs. I have attached some pictures.

Spec: Untreated but uncertified ceylon yellow sapphire. 2 ct approx 9x7x4mm. Eyeclean.

I have contacted the seller and have been told that I can return it for a refund or keep it with a $300 discount. Bearing in mind that there wasn't much change from $1500.

I do like the color but I'm not sure I want to go thru the trouble of getting the chips cut out. Also I doubt $300 would even cover the cost to ship it, fix it and ship it back.

What should I do?

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
return it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chel180|1315329280|3010791 said:
Hi,

I bought this sapphire but when I got it home I found two fairly sizable chips in the girdle! Too big to hide behind prongs. I have attached some pictures.

Spec: Untreated but uncertified ceylon yellow sapphire. 2 ct approx 9x7x4mm. Eyeclean.

I have contacted the seller and have been told that I can return it for a refund or keep it with a $300 discount. Bearing in mind that there wasn't much change from $1500.

I do like the color but I'm not sure I want to go thru the trouble of getting the chips cut out. Also I doubt $300 would even cover the cost to ship it, fix it and ship it back.

What should I do?

I would return it based on a number of concerns (highlighted above).

(a) There are no guarantees that it is untreated if it doesn't have a lab report
(b) it doesn't have a lab report sobasically you're trusting the vendor's word (not recommended with corundums)
(c) $1500 for 2ct untreated sapphire? Might be possible but ...........
(d) if it's treated then you've probably paid way too much.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
How are you sure it is unheated if it is uncerted? I would send it back just based on that!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i had planned to send the stone to a lab to have it checked out when I bought it. that was before i saw the chip......

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the chip, I wouldn't bother with the cert and etc at this point. Just return the stone and get your refund.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree return it. Chips are a deal breaker with me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results