shape
carat
color
clarity

New Ring!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Per request (thank you!) from another thread, edited for typos, and updated...
Super excited about my new diamond! RB 2.01, GIA 3x, SI2... E color!
After many years of wanting to do this, I had the opportunity to trade in my previous diamond of almost 16 years (3.29 RB, SI2, I color, not ideal cut, with the dreaded EGL Israel lab report... need I say more?!) for something smaller of significantly greater quality.
I had wanted an H & A/super ideal in a VS but that nasty word “budget” reared it’s ugly head! What I initially felt were concessions were, ultimately, definitely NOT given I ended up with a beauty.
I had an excruciatingly difficult struggle choosing between the diamond I ultimately chose and another stone with a just slightly better cut with its crisper optical symmetry but G color, not the E color I chose.
The carat weights were only 1 point apart but the one I didn’t choose faced up larger.
But I just felt I could not leave a 2 carat E color diamond on the table (no pun intended!). I mean, how often does one have the ooortunity to get a GIA E color? I wanted something really RARE... and to have a color that comprises less than 1% of all the diamonds in the world... well, if that doesn’t equate with rare I don’t know what does. It is still a triple excellent so it certainly is no “dog”!
It was really important to me to have a GIA lab report, something I didn’t have with the previous. Also, I wanted a small table (55%)... I just love the visual of that and, after having a table on my previous of 61, this is really exciting for me (the one I didn’t go with had a 58% table, certainly still great, but that 55% was really something I liked). Also, this new stone has a small center “stop sign” which I wanted.
This diamond is laser inscribed and also was newly cut... not that it matters but it just seems special to me. The date of the GIA report was 8 days after my father passed away... so I’m assuming it was cut during the time he was on hospice... I’m sure I’m still mourning but I just feel something about that (although I didn’t notice that on the report until after I had made my selection).
I was proposed to almost 30 years ago (this Fall will be our 30th wedding anniversary). My husband proposed with a stunning 1.01 marquise SI1 in D color. Perfect marquise ratio and minimal bow tie. But I was 24 and immature and wanted BIG and traded that perfect D color diamond for something larger, a RB 1.51, H color, SI1 clarity. And then that wasn’t large enough and I traded up for the 3.29 RB SI2, I color. I cannot even convey how much I regret letting go of that 1.01 marquise D stone, both for its quality and also the sentimentality. Like what’s wrong with me! My husband selected the best he could afford at the time to propose with and I gave it away.. I’m so sad about it.
That played a big role in my choosing to go with the E 3x vs the more precise cut in the G color. Not that a G is anything to take for granted by any means whatsoever, but I wanted the rarity of the colorless. I wanted to get as close to what I so stupidly gave up so many years ago. I know people would think I’m nuts to give up a 3.29 very spready stone for a 2.01 with a small table that faces up on the small side for its carat weight, 8.01mm so it just squeaks in at the measurement but I had been regretting an unfortunate purchase for so long and yearned for a stone of high quality in rare colorlesss grade so I made a significant reduction in size. Also, my lifestyle has changed and I’ve changed, and I just didn’t feel the need for the big diamond anymore (not that a 2 carat is small!). After being so all about big for so long, I grew to be a bit embarrassed about it. I don’t judge others for having larger, there was just a change in me.
So now the task at hand (another pun!): To get a decent photo. That will take me some time. I just can’t seem to capture what I’m seeing in person. So I’ve included some quick photos until I have time to devote to PS-worthy ones!
Also note of interest is I have gone through a number of mountings throughout the years of various styles (3 stone, halo, etc.) all in platinum as I thought that was the be all, end all. But I have some hand issues with bone spurs and larger knuckles, weak joints, etc., so I opted to go with 14kt white gold as it’s so much lighter in weight. Wow, I am loving fhe brightness of the white gold. I went for a solitaire. I wanted the diamond to be the main event. What’s so awesome, something I had not anticipated, is the brightness of the white gold color blends so beautifully with the “white” (colorless) diamond. It’s like seamless tone-on-tone. The mounting is the Classic Solitaire by Cliq... the mountings that open up so you can get a perfect fit if your knuckle is larger than the place where your ring sits on the finger. It is so comfortable, the most comfortable mounting I’ve ever had. And very timeless, classic, elegant. My previous mounting was a heavily embellished large halo crown with all pave’ and engraving everywhere... certainly a work of art but I’m loving the simplicity of this new mounting. I’m all for the embellished mounting but, for me, the motivation for the fancy mournting was to detract from what I felt (knew) was a less than desirable diamond.
If you are still reading, thank you for doing so, and thank you for your time. I haven’t been on PS for so long, literally years, because I had such a sub-standard diamond and was both embarrassed about it as well as felt inferior.
I have heard that the HCA is not considered a reliable tool anymore, but I did run the numbers and it came up as Excellent for light return, fire, and scintillation, within TIC range. So, a good start! Then there’s its 3x grading... so far, so good!. In some lighting it is like a continuous explosion of colors! In other lighting the scintillation is mesmerizing. In other lighting it has great contrast and the small table that I love really pops. In other lighting it is so white (colorless) it leaves me breathless. In dark cloudy weather (like just before a winter rain) its a beacon of bright white light. Even in ugly office lighting it looks great. There is only 1 lighting situation where I don’t find it particularly pleasing, especially after seeing its stellar performance in the other settings, but other diamonds I have look less than desirable in that same setting so I’m guessing it’s just bad light.
Some quick photos:
upload_2019-2-27_21-35-54.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-36-31.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-36-57.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-37-24.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-37-47.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-38-27.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-39-31.jpeg

upload_2019-2-27_21-39-57.jpeg

So not H & A with the perfect pattern, but in person gorgeous. I guess it’s old school style lol... when diamonds were described “like snowflakes... everyone is unique”. This stone doesn’t have that bold look... it’s more delicate, which seems more my style. I was initially bummed about not getting a super ideal (h&a/AGS 0), but ultimately it boils down to the PERFORMANCE and I finally have it... so absolutely fabulous after my lifeless previous stone.
I also had hoped for a VS2, but budget being what it was, I had to go with SI2 but this is very clean, mostly SI2 due to feather that’s now hidden under a prong. Any other little specs are not visible to the eye in real life size and they’re white. My previous stone was a mess, full of blotches of yuck and as if someone shook black pepper all over it!
I’m really loving the 6-prong and how it makes the solitaire look so ROUND!
I apologize for my ugly hands - definitely looking like the almost 54 that I’ll be in June!
I will work on getting some “glamour shots”!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so beautiful and a rarity.
Don’t be sad for your long gone D Marquis, we all make mistakes along our life journey and look to where you have now arrived!
And as much as I am a “cover it in diamonds, everywhere, gal”, I agree the simple white gold band is perfect for such a superstar diamond - no froth or fluff needed.
Wear her, she WILL need a name you know, with love and much joy.
Perhaps Joy is the name she needs :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see you love your new ring. Congratulations!! That E is a stunner and probably blinding. I would love an E myself one day. Enjoy and congratulations on 30 years.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WowEEE it’s a gorgeous diamond and I love the simple setting you have chosen, it’s all about her beautiful ‘visual’ voice.
Congratulations! Enjoy her.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just so beautiful! And I’m really glad you have kept the setting simple & clean, so that the diamond can do its thing without any distraction.

This has been a real journey for you & I am so happy that you’ve found a stone that makes your heart sing! Welcome to the Rare Colour Club & enjoy staring at it - it’s mesmerising!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks headlight for doing this SMTB thread! I am sure several of us remember you from years ago. It is nice to both hear from you again and to know that you have a diamond that makes your eyes light up every time you see it! It looks beautiful and I too love the six prong setting you chose. Congrats on weathering the diamond storm and coming out such a winner!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring, beautiful woman and wonderful story. Wear your ring in health and blingy happiness.:love:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
How absolutely perfect! :kiss2:
I have to ask, with the better light return, does it seem almost as big as your old diamond visually?
I hear from quite a few members that a lively stone is going to look “bigger” because of better light return, and not having dead zones.
Either way, love it on you!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your new diamond, setting and story are beautiful! You sound like you’re in love with it and that makes it just perfect! I love E color diamonds...and yours is stunning! :love:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited for you! I am a solitaire girl and I think it looks perfect on your hand! :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous!!! :love: Looks huge on your hand :dance: So happy everything fell into place and you found a diamond you love - and an E color, love it! :appl:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
How absolutely perfect! :kiss2:
I have to ask, with the better light return, does it seem almost as big as your old diamond visually?
I hear from quite a few members that a lively stone is going to look “bigger” because of better light return, and not having dead zones.
Either way, love it on you!!

It is interesting you mention this because in pictures it looks as large as my old diamond! It is really strange because sometimes I look at it and I feel like it looks like a 1 carat and other times it looks like a 3 carat! Today my friend came over and I said, "Look at my new ring!" and she looked at it and said without pausing, "That's a 2 carat!". So I guess it looks as it should. I guess it is true, that if the light return is really good you can see it across a room, irregardless of size. When I was at the jeweler and making the selection people were telling me they could see it across the store but I thought they were just being nice. What's so odd for me, always having to be all about the big diamonds, I don't even care if it looks small at any given moment and I guess it is because it is so lively.
Also, interesting to mention that I was very hesitant about the GIA 3x vs AGS0. I had been reading so much bad stuff about the GIA grading system and didn't have a lot of faith in it but I guess I lucked out.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
headlight that is just so beautiful! Congratulations on your beautiful new diamond.

It is gorgeous, and suits you perfectly. And your hands are beautiful.

Wear it in the best of health :appl:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so good to see you again headlight, welcome back! Your new ring is absolute perfection :kiss2:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous Diamond, classic setting. Congratulations on 30 years!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl: Congratulations ! It is gorgeous!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your story, and your journey are very touching.
Congratulations on 30 years!!
The ring is gorgeous, and I’m thrilled you found a diamond that makes your heart sing!!
Great job!! Welcome home!!! :kiss2:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and congratulations!

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a big and beautiful diamond! I love the simple setting to show it off

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! This is so timeless!

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's perfect!!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! It looks huge on your hand. I need finger lipo. LOL Congratulations. :clap:

Lani

Rough_Rock
Classic beauty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results