shape
carat
color
clarity

New ring, claw prongs security concern

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, can you clarify with which vendor you contracted?

adler9

Rough_Rock
Ok- so technically you are not DK's customer. Ultimately he should make this right- yes him being out of town might be a reason for tardy replies but not an excuse for none.
My next question- did TGP inspect the ring personally before it shipped to you? If so- besides her confirming the trade show- what's her evaluation on the prongs and seating of the stone? Were you ever made aware of a wavy gravy girdle if it does indeed exist?
I understand wanting to get the prongs done locally but really depending on the local jewelers willingness and skill level- you may be throwing good money after bad.
Hope this resolves well for all involved.
Please keep up updated.
Yeah TGP inspected the ring, had it in her possession before shipping it out. No opinion given on the technical stuff regarding prong gap and lint catching

adler9

Rough_Rock
OP, can you clarify with which vendor you contracted?
It is TGP, but when I emailed DK bc I had no idea if that prong was adequate or not, he said it is fine. And that he will fix it should the stone loosen. As in if any movement is felt he will tighten the prong. Originally I thought that will be fine, but started getting a lot more lint catching and stuff and I still think the stone is not held securely, so I wrote to him back and asked if V prongs can be made.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is TGP, but when I emailed DK bc I had no idea if that prong was adequate or not, he said it is fine. And that he will fix it should the stone loosen. As in if any movement is felt he will tighten the prong. Originally I thought that will be fine, but started getting a lot more lint catching and stuff and I still think the stone is not held securely, so I wrote to him back and asked if V prongs can be made.

I get you wanted to move things along faster so just emailed DK directly but you probably will need to go through TGP as your "contract" was with them. The onus is on TGP to fix this, because the bench they used is on them. What about re forwarding the emails already sent to DK to TGP and asking them to resolve this. Give a reasonable timeframe.

adler9

Rough_Rock
To be honest I think I am the only one that thinks the prongs are made inadequately between DK, TGP and me. Like nobody has acknowledged that there is anything less than good with the prongs functionally or esthetically. I don't know, maybe these prongs are perfect and I am just a dumb layperson who's obsessing about a nonexistent issue.

When I first made the thread, note I did not even post a head on view of the ring, anything that may reveal where the ring came from because I wasn't trying to complain about specific people. I was just merely wondering if that stone is reasonably set with some warranty of security because it looked unsafe. I had never seen any stone set like that. Back then, I thought even if there is something that needs to be repaired, it would have been an easy fix - I was not even upset! Like I never asked anyone, that the work is crap and somebody should fix it for free. All I inquired was, whether the prongs are deemed safe, and whether V prongs can be made in place of the current ones. But now I still haven't even gotten an acknowledgement that the way the stone is being held may not be less than good. If trying to get some answers to specific questions are proving to be such a hassle, how much more difficult would it be to actually get the issue resolved. I don't think I have been so frustrated ever in this CS collecting hobby, and that includes buying from random ebay dealers that lie outright and when DanielM like took forever to return my stone when he was going through that fiasco several years ago. And I agree, having some other person "fix" the ring is a bad plan, because like I said I don't know if the issue is merely with those prongs next to the space.

adler9

Rough_Rock
Just to clarify, I didnt ask DK to fix anything. I asked if he thought his job was adequate. He said yes. Since I disagree with that, I wrote back I am still concerned, and asked him if it is physically possible to make V prongs instead. As in is it possible technically to make V prongs. Not, "you gotta fix this for me for free". Like I wanted his opinion as the goldsmith on the technical aspect of the ring as somebody who made the ring. I never asked him to DO any work. So from my short exchange with him, all I gathered is he thinks prongs are ok, and if I feel any movement of the stone, he will make the prongs "stronger". That didn't seem like a good idea to me, so told him no, I dont want that. I asked if V prongs can be made to replace current ones altogether. No response. My last email was sent 2 weeks ago. Then last week I asked TGP with pictures to ask for help, but DK was away then.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cross post- never mind

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - I know it is difficult but give them a bit longer. Go ahead and accept the explanation of the show being the reason.
If you have not already been super specific as circling areas on photos to send, use the vendors macro shots if possible.
Best wishes.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, sorry to hear of your problem, especially with a vendor that has been popular with other PSers. I have never bought anything from TGP or DK but it seems that others have had positive experiences with both vendors. I hope that the situation is quickly resolved soon to your satisfaction! FWIW, I would not be happy either if I received a custom project with prongs like that, especially as I'm also outside the US and I know how international shipping and customs can be a major hassle when you have to ship items back and forth.. :(

I agree with the other posters that it is the responsibility of TGP to resolve this issue since she was the one you contracted with.

Good luck!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates OP?

adler9

Rough_Rock
Any updates OP?

I am going to set aside the ring for now and take out the stone later. Sell gold as scrap and recycle diamonds I guess. No response from DK obviously. I don't know why that man even keeps an email address available to the public. TGP got back to me. Both DK and TGP said the ring is safe to wear. I was also told that prongs have a "seat" cut out to hold a stone, and that claw prongs are "named after claws, body parts meant to grab, shaped to cause damage to what it's grabbing" so they are more susceptible to catch lint and fuzz. Wow, I guess I didn't know any of that before, now everything makes perfect sense!!! I am so mortified that I spent X amount of money to get a product that looked like that and get talked to like I am a massive idiot. So that's the end of it, I dont want to spend any amount of further time or money on this and of course don't want any further business with either DK or TGP so I said to forget about the ring.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am going to set aside the ring for now and take out the stone later. Sell gold as scrap and recycle diamonds I guess. No response from DK obviously. I don't know why that man even keeps an email address available to the public. TGP got back to me. Both DK and TGP said the ring is safe to wear. I was also told that prongs have a "seat" cut out to hold a stone, and that claw prongs are "named after claws, body parts meant to grab, shaped to cause damage to what it's grabbing" so they are more susceptible to catch lint and fuzz. Wow, I guess I didn't know any of that before, now everything makes perfect sense!!! I am so mortified that I spent X amount of money to get a product that looked like that and get talked to like I am a massive idiot. So that's the end of it, I dont want to spend any amount of further time or money on this and of course don't want any further business with either DK or TGP so I said to forget about the ring.

Omg that's disgusting. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this! The arrogance of that response?!!

Was the claw response from TGP or David?

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
How awful!! I don't know how people can be so rude and work in customer service?!

This is outrageous, clearly buyer beware when it comes to these vendors!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I am sorry you are going through this. I don't think you should scrap the whole thing.
But.
I sure would like to hear from someone who has this same setting - there is a few on here who do - with the claw prongs. I'd like to know if they experience catch. Is that true? All claw prongs (from DK) are going to snag fuzz?
I'd also like to see some macro shots of the girdle from the stone vendor. Will that confirm the issue if it does indeed exist as a contributing factor?
Does the gap between the stone and the prong base cause a bigger safety issue than the fuzz catching prongs? The gap being caused by the setting not following the stone shape close enough? Are there wonky stones that just can't be set in a mounting like this and look nice? Is it the responsibility of the designer /bench/stone vendor to tell the customer this?
I'm sorry for beating what seems to be a dead horse.
The customer has given up.
The vendor has not given their voice here to give additional, or confirming info.
While rightfully painful for the OP- I for one would like more info or confirmation from all sides.
I am sorry OP.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh really? But what about the fact the claws are catching on stuff that right there says not totally safe. I HAVE claw prongs, matter of fact the last stone I had set by BE has claw prongs. the prongs are very close to the stone, you run your hand across and its totally smooth, they don't catch on things.

I don't find that type of response totally acceptable. But you have your answer from them so, probably best to set aside and think about next steps. I'm sad that it didn't work out for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A well down claw prong will not catch / trap lint and fuzz. I too, have a trilliant ring that DK set with claq prongs and it is very smooth. It doesn't catch lint and fuzz. I am very sorry for the poor customer service. :blackeye:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my...
So sorry you are going through this. What an awful experience. A good claw will not catch on anything. I have claws from Victor but also from David.

I am so surprised to hear about this super lousy customer service as David usually has magnificent customer service: he wants his customers to be happy and he even remade a ring for me (which was my fault as I misinterpreted the CAD): David was kind enough to take full responsibility.

Please hold on just a little bit longer. Hopefully he will get back to you soon.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience here.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But the thing is.....DK is not OP's vendor.
Does anybody really think that DK should be contacting/replying back to the OP for issues and resolving them directly? (Aside from his super busy issues) Should DK offer to pay for/split fright costs back and forth? DK should be offering anything directly?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does anybody really think that DK should be contacting/replying back to the OP for issues and resolving them directly? (Aside from his super busy issues) Should DK offer to pay for/split fright costs back and forth? DK should be offering anything directly?

Personally no I think TGP is more in the hot water here then DK to be honest. I think DK's problem was he initially responded and now he's ignoring her.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mmm, you are right. It depends on the 'contract' I guess? When working with TPG, do you work with 2 vendors? One for design and one for creation? And do you pay them separately? Or is TPG the single point of contact...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I remember- you have a choice and you can do it both ways. TGP prefers to be the single source.
But since OP has already said that only TGP is their vendor, and TGP inspected the ring and then shipped it to OP.
I know it is "uncomfortable" for vendors to have to come on here and "defend" themselves. But I sure wish she would. Too many unanswered questions that I think we are speculating on.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adler9, I am very sorry you are going trough this. It's certainly not fair to you, since you can't enjoy your new ring. I hope that you are able to come to a resolution, with TGP and/or David Klass. I have been using him for years and have never received this kind of customer service. I have never used TGP so I can't comment on that. Don't give up. Try contacting TGP again and explaining that you are not satisfied with the prongs that way and feel it is unsafe to wear it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, did you ever get a resolution to this issue? It would be great if you could post an update. Fingers crossed that it was a positive resolution. :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some years ago DK made a bezel ring for me using my own Spinel - unfortunately there were obvious craftsmanship issues readily apparent as soon as I removed the ring from the shipping package. Since it was my first project with DK and he couldn't execute properly nor perform adequate QC measures prior to shipment, I chose to return it and asked for a full refund. DK did refund but never explained how/why the defective ring was sent out and never apologized either. It was my first and last project with him. Because of my own experience, I would never and have never recommended DK to anyone.

I am troubled and disappointed to hear how TGP/Freke is dropping the ball on this project with OP. It seems she feels no responsibility yet apparently was the designer/main contractor for OP's project and also actually inspected the ring and shipped it herself? I am shocked she didn't notice the issue, and further shocked she didn't take extra care in her own QC measures since OP was an international purchaser.

OP, is it too late to pursue credit card charge-back or invoke PayPal buyer protections on this purchase? If it were me, I'd move immediately to get all my money back (your emails and photos should be sufficient to support your claim of unsatisfactory goods), and then I would post honest zero-star reviews on both vendors' sites.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So sorry to read this. I've had no contact with either vendor....... TGP should bear the brunt of the project assuming she designed the ring, worked with DK, and approved it to be sent out. It seems the stone has some quirks that were not accommodated in the design phase....and then things were just ignored and this too, lands on TGP. To err is human.......to fix is good customer service. Nothing less is appropriate. OP, please follow above comments on PayPal or credit card options. And wait a bit in case TGP reads this and chooses to step up. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this......

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no insight on the facts of what happened here. I wear a ring designed by TGP and made by David Klass. TGP spent months working with me through hand sketches until we had the design just perfect. Then, we went to CAD and she carefully walked me through my questions. She was patient, kind and detail oriented. She responded to emails within the day or the next day. The ring made by David Klass is fantastic. The structure is solid. The ring has 18 prongs and I've never snagged anything after 6 months of daily wear. I am NOT gentle on my ring and the ring has not let me down. I had no direct contact with DK, although I've heard from others he can be slow to respond.

I'm so sorry for the OP's ring troubles and do hope she is made whole and happy. From my ring and that of a friend's also made by TGP and DK, this is not typical of their craftsmanship or customer service.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results