shape
carat
color
clarity

New recipes for New Cooks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 7:06:42 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Wowowow these are great!! What an awesome thread!
9.gif
Can I put in a request for a crock pot/slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe and a crock pot/slow cooker pot roast recipe? I used my friend''s pot roast recipe and it didn''t go so well..roast was great, but the veggies were only so-so.
When I use crock pots, I always add the veggies about 30 minutes from the end. Otherwise they turn into mush.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 7:14:53 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

9.gif
Can I put in a request for a crock pot/slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe and a crock pot/slow cooker pot roast recipe? I used my friend''s pot roast recipe and it didn''t go so well..roast was great, but the veggies were only so-so.

When I use crock pots, I always add the veggies about 30 minutes from the end. Otherwise they turn into mush.

See that''s the weird part..I put the potatoes in 2 hours before and they were STILL not done in that they weren''t soft enough on the inside. Wonder if I cut them too thick or something?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 7:22:34 PM

9.gif
Can I put in a request for a crock pot/slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe and a crock pot/slow cooker pot roast recipe? I used my friend's pot roast recipe and it didn't go so well..roast was great, but the veggies were only so-so.

See that's the weird part..I put the potatoes in 2 hours before and they were STILL not done in that they weren't soft enough on the inside. Wonder if I cut them too thick or something?

Yea I always make sure I cut the potatoes pretty small or put them in at the very beginning with just the meat. then I add the carrots and onions towards the end.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 10:03:22 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 7/21/2009 7:22:34 PM

9.gif

See that''s the weird part..I put the potatoes in 2 hours before and they were STILL not done in that they weren''t soft enough on the inside. Wonder if I cut them too thick or something?

Yea I always make sure I cut the potatoes pretty small or put them in at the very beginning with just the meat. then I add the carrots and onions towards the end.
Ditto. I am not a fan of huge chunks of potatoes, so I''ll normally cut them into 3/4" pieces or smaller.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I would just like to thank you ladies for these fantastic recipes, I am definitely planning to make several! I had ingredients to make paninis last night and they turned out delicious! I just used goat cheese, pesto, prosciutto, white truffle oil and crusty italian bread. Thanks for the idea, Cammie! Dinner was ready in 10 minutes!

I don''t generally make heavy dishes in the summer, but this meatloaf recipe is good without being heavy and makes great leftover sandwiches.

Buffalo Meatloaf:
1 1/2 cups chopped crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 pound ground buffalo meat
1 large egg
3/4 cup tomato sauce, divided
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté until mushrooms are beginning to brown and onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; mix in sage and thyme. Cool slightly.
Mix buffalo, mushroom mixture, egg, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, panko, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Form loaf on baking sheet or baking pan. Roast 30 minutes. Combine 1/4 cup tomato sauce and red pepper in small bowl. Pour over top of meatloaf. Roast 20 minutes longer.

You can cut up some potatoes, drizzle olive oil and rosemary (or whatever spice you''d like) over them and roast them with the meatloaf as well.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
NewEnglandLady -I am SO thrilled you were inspired to make panini''s - I love the variety you can have and how fast they are to prepare. Though, I love sandwiches, so I might like them a little more than your ''Average Joe'' hehe. Your version sounds absolutely DIVINE!

These recipes are all great, I can''t wait to try out some more of them!!

cakeny

Shiny_Rock
So last night I made the easy bolognese (with a splash of red wine), so thank you IWPO and HH! :)

Here is how I make brussels sprouts, Mr Cake's favorite side dish (but not until I started making them for him ;-) His mom is mad about that. [evil chuckle]

ingredients:

1 lb brussels sprouts
EVOO
kosher salt
pepper
1 shallot, chopped/diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS butter (I usually use a little less and just use a tad more olive oil in the beginning)
1/2 cup chicken broth

-Trim and halve the brussels sprouts, brown on high heat in large pan with EVOO.

-Season with salt and pepper. take them out of the pan.

-Over medium heat, combine butter, shallots, garlic and saute for about one minute (when shallots start to caramelize).

-Add the sprouts back in and mix. Then add chicken broth, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.

I apologize if this isn't in standard "cook"-ese but hopefully you get the gist :)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grilled swordfish (you could do this with any kind of fish)

swordfish steak
white wine
garlic
butter
S+P
Tinfoil-enough to make a packet

Lay out the tinfoil and place the fish on it
S+P both sides of the swordfish add a little garlic below and on top of the fish
bring both ends of the tinfoil up and fold/roll down the center. Then, fold/roll one end of the packet. Make sure the end and top are really well sealed. Then, turn the packet on its side and pour in a good bit of wine (maybe like 1/4 cup). Seal up open end.

Place packet on the grill and cover. Grill for 7-10 minutes on each side. Serve with a splash of lemon.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 10:51:54 AM
Date: 7/22/2009 10:03:22 AM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

Ditto. I am not a fan of huge chunks of potatoes, so I'll normally cut them into 3/4' pieces or smaller.

Just wanted to say thanks to both of you for answering my question! Now I know what went wrong..the potatoes were too big! *Forehead slap* lol. Live and learn..
1.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to bump this thread and put out a call for any great crockpot recipes! :)

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
Goat cheese and pistachio crusted chicken

4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
3/4 cup crushed pistachios
3 oz. goat cheese
reasonably low fat honey mustard salad dressing (or brown mustard mixed with honey)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Brush chicken breasts with honey mustard.

3. Spread 1/4 of goat cheese on each chicken breast

4. Pat crushed pistachios on top of each breast. Cover with foil

5. Bake covered for 20 minutes, then 5 minutes uncovered or until cooked through

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
CaliCushion, that sounds super yummy!

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
It IS yummy! I also have a recipe for turkey meatloaf with a secret ingredient: oatmeal! I''ll post it later. The problem is that I sort of improvise while cooking, so I don''t tend to have recipes written down for things I make often.

The only recipe I can''t share is for my chocolate chip banana bread. My husband has SWORN me to secracy. I''m allowed to make it for our friends, but i''m not allowed to give anyone my recipe.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa-you all are such good cooks! I suck and can''t cook anything but maybe I''ll forward this thread to my new husband and see if I can convince him to cook some of these for me!
12.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 9:08:39 PM
Author: CaliCushion
It IS yummy! I also have a recipe for turkey meatloaf with a secret ingredient: oatmeal! I''ll post it later. The problem is that I sort of improvise while cooking, so I don''t tend to have recipes written down for things I make often.

The only recipe I can''t share is for my chocolate chip banana bread. My husband has SWORN me to secracy. I''m allowed to make it for our friends, but i''m not allowed to give anyone my recipe.

I cook the same way, usually when I write out recipes here on PS I''m wracking my brain to come up with estimates on the measurements.

My banana bread recipe is top secret too! LOL, too funny.

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
Healthier Turkey Meatloaf

Preheat oven to 350

1 package lean ground turkey (I think 94% ff)
1 small onion minced
1/2 cup minced bell pepper
1/2 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 egg
3 heaping Tbsp ketchup (I love Trader Joe''s organic)
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper as desired

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then let sit for at least 5 minutes. Enjoy!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 5:15:04 PM

Chicken Roulades with Basil and Banana Peppers

Ingredients:

1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp chopped fresh chives
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 fresh banana peppers, seeded and chopped finely
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 6 oz. each, pounded to 3/4 of an inch
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs of panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmaggiano or pecorino romano cheese

Directions:

To make the sauce, stir together 1/2 cup yogurt, the 1 Tbsp mustard, and the chives in a small bowl. Let the sauce stand at room temperature to lose it’s chill while the chicken bakes

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush a non stick baking sheet with some of the melted butter.

Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp of the basil and peppers and a pinch of the cheese in the center of 1 chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the short ends of the breast about 1/2 inch. Starting at the long side, roll up the breast, enclosing the basil, peppers, and cheese. Repeat with remaining breasts.

In a shallow bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup yogurt and the remaining 1 tsp mustard. In a shallow dish, stir together the bread crumbs and cheese. Roll each chicken breast in the yogurt mixture, and then coat with the crumb mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and drizzle with the remainging melted butter. Bake until the coating is golden brown and the chicken shows no sign of pink when cut into the center, about 30 minutes. Serve hot, with a dollop of sauce on the side.

I served mine with some steamed green beans and fresh cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!

I just picked some fresh banana peppers and basil from our garden yesterday. I think I will have to try this recipe this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I love this chicken recipe. It''s best if you can let it marinate for atleast 24 hours. Also, I generally triple the marinade amount (all of the ingredients besides the chicken), and reserve about a 1/3 of it to glaze onto the chicken when it''s done.

Key West Chicken
-3 T soy sauce (I usually use less, and use the low-sodium kind)
-1T honey (I usually use a little bit more)
-1T vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
-1 tsp lime juice (I use a little more, and use squeeze fresh lime juice, not the bottled kind)
-1tsp chopped garlic
-4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

In a shallow contained, blend soy sauce, honey, vegetale oil, lime juice and garlic. Place chicken into the mixture and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes (I recommend at least 24 hours).

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard marinate and grill chicken 6 to 8 minutes on each side until juices run clear.

I usually serve this with grilled summer veggies and long grain wild rice.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
BBQ Salmon with Herb Mayonnaise

1 1/2 to 2 lbs salmon filet (I prefer wild salmon)
1/3 cup mayonnaise (light or non-fat)
2 T fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp chopped fresh herbs of your choice
Coarse salt (I prefer sea salt) and ground black pepper to taste

Preheat grill (high). Wash salmon and pat dry. Place salmon (skin side down) onto a large piece of aluminum foil. In a small bowl with a wire wisk combine mayo, lime juice, and herbs until smooth. Spread over the top of the salmon. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

Place the salmon (with the foil) onto the grill. Cover and cook 8-12 minutes (The salmon should be slightly opaque in the thickest part. It will continue to cook after it is removed from the grill).

I have also made this on the broiler during the winter.

ETA: Each serving has appx 228 calories, so it's a healthy and yummy choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results