shape
carat
color
clarity

New project with sentimental materials - advice needed

baublelove

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I‘ve had my dad’s T&Co gold 7mm (approx) wedding band in my jewelry box for 14 years since he passed. I was cleaning some of my jewelry last weekend when I came across it again and thought it a shame that is sits hidden. It fits on my left finger and I thought I could make a sentimental project out of it with some melee from a band that my mom gave me. I’ve been gifted a few of her rings as her arthritis has left her fingers swollen and rings are uncomfortable for her to wear.

I was thinking of using the melee in her bands and gypsy setting them into dad’s band so the I have a sentimental piece as a reminder of both of them. I was thinking of a “scattered” diamond style like Tiffany’s Etoile band. I feel like I can finally wear something of his without tearing up when I look at it. He was the glue in our family, a Renaissance man with a kind heart. His interests and hobbies were so varied and unique including his love for gems. The loupe you see here was his, the one he had in his late 20s when his interest in gemstones and diamonds sparked from having worked near NYC’s diamond district. He used to take us to every February to Tucson, AZ for the annual gem show and eventually set up a room in our basement with his lapidary equipment - saws, faceting and polishing equipment, lapidary tools, etc. Well heck, I’m tearing up now, but I know dad would appreciate a project like this. ❤️

Dad’s ring is a US size 7, about 7.5 mm wide and I have a total of 22 melee diamonds to use between mom’s two rings. Melee is .02mm each, F-G/VS. Only one ring with the melee is pictured here. I know I have her other ring (it was a set) with the rest of the matching melee but I can’t find it at the moment.

Here’s where you all come in. I was thinking of contacting David Klass for this project and was wondering:

1. If he’d be a good fit for this project. If not, any recommendations?
2. Should I try to use all the melee? I’m having a hard time picturing spacing. I’m almost willing to give him carte blanche on that element.
3. Any other design suggestions other than the scattered style using both the band and the melee?

Attachments

• D4A76946-8F34-4635-A1AB-7E4F325A6490.jpeg
    D4A76946-8F34-4635-A1AB-7E4F325A6490.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 450AB986-F256-4EF3-B2A1-256E3960B0F3.jpeg
    450AB986-F256-4EF3-B2A1-256E3960B0F3.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 14
  • A0A867A2-C035-4CAE-B8D2-FE60864B45CD.jpeg
    A0A867A2-C035-4CAE-B8D2-FE60864B45CD.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 28
  • 3CD91467-A782-453E-9C50-D4869FE399DC.jpeg
    3CD91467-A782-453E-9C50-D4869FE399DC.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 27

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say I think it’s a lovely idea!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I can't help with your questions as I've never taken on such a project. But wanted you to know you made me tear up just reading your post. Your love for your father shines through your written words. I hope you find the advice you need and are able to complete your lovely project!

I love the idea of a scattered gypsy (etoile?) style ring using melee from your mom's ring(s). It'd be like a beautiful blend from rings from both of your parents. I don't think I'd want to cram all of the melee into 1 ring though. Maybe create 2-3 pieces instead? Even a separate diamond band that'll find your current size? Something in yellow gold as well maybe so you could wear them as a set of one on each hand?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello all, I‘ve had my dad’s T&Co gold 7mm (approx) wedding band in my jewelry box for 14 years since he passed. I was cleaning some of my jewelry last weekend when I came across it again and thought it a shame that is sits hidden. It fits on my left finger and I thought I could make a sentimental project out of it with some melee from a band that my mom gave me. I’ve been gifted a few of her rings as her arthritis has left her fingers swollen and rings are uncomfortable for her to wear.

I was thinking of using the melee in her bands and gypsy setting them into dad’s band so the I have a sentimental piece as a reminder of both of them. I was thinking of a “scattered” diamond style like Tiffany’s Etoile band. I feel like I can finally wear something of his without tearing up when I look at it. He was the glue in our family, a Renaissance man with a kind heart. His interests and hobbies were so varied and unique including his love for gems. The loupe you see here was his, the one he had in his late 20s when his interest in gemstones and diamonds sparked from having worked near NYC’s diamond district. He used to take us to every February to Tucson, AZ for the annual gem show and eventually set up a room in our basement with his lapidary equipment - saws, faceting and polishing equipment, lapidary tools, etc. Well heck, I’m tearing up now, but I know dad would appreciate a project like this. ❤️

Dad’s ring is a US size 7, about 7.5 mm wide and I have a total of 22 melee diamonds to use between mom’s two rings. Melee is .02mm each, F-G/VS. Only one ring with the melee is pictured here. I know I have her other ring (it was a set) with the rest of the matching melee but I can’t find it at the moment.

Here’s where you all come in. I was thinking of contacting David Klass for this project and was wondering:

1. If he’d be a good fit for this project. If not, any recommendations?
2. Should I try to use all the melee? I’m having a hard time picturing spacing. I’m almost willing to give him carte blanche on that element.
3. Any other design suggestions other than the scattered style using both the band and the melee?

What a fabouse project
I love the width of a man's ring
Defiantly do this so you can wear it
im sure your dad would love this idea
I think by incorporating meele from your mom's ring you are giving it even more sentimentality and making it extra special to one day pass on to your own descendents

I hope my great grandma who i never meet would like what i did when i inherited her wedding ring from mum's jewlery box where it had languished unwarn since at least when my grandma had died
i knew i would not wear it as is so i had saphires set into it gypsy style (one for each of her children)
I wear it often
16149890751361796293318.jpg

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
It's a lovely idea, if you look on Pinterest or Google images for 'scattered band or scattered diamonds' you'll find loads of different styles and options. This is one of my favourite looks and there are a few different ways of organising the diamonds to achieve it.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a beautiful idea. Why don’t you email David about it and see what he proposes? He may have a better idea than us how many melee would go well into the ring, and what you can make with the leftover—maybe a chevron ring guard to stack with a solitaire?

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
I’m in LOVE with your idea!!! May be shoot a message to Sako as well. He helped me with a similar-ish project last year with my mom’s ring. He was incredibly kind and the results are beautiful. I now enjoy wearing her ring that sat in a box for 20ish years. 51876490-A7D5-4752-95C7-FD20555C4C0A.jpeg

baublelove

Rough_Rock
I’m in LOVE with your idea!!! May be shoot a message to Sako as well. He helped me with a similar-ish project last year with my mom’s ring. He was incredibly kind and the results are beautiful. I now enjoy wearing her ring that sat in a box for 20ish years. 51876490-A7D5-4752-95C7-FD20555C4C0A.jpeg
This ring is beautiful!! I’m glad you get to wear it and remember your mom. ❤️

baublelove

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your design and vendor suggestions. I appreciate your input. I’ve emailed David Klass and a few others already so the process has begun.=)2

baublelove

Rough_Rock
What a fabouse project
I love the width of a man's ring
Defiantly do this so you can wear it
im sure your dad would love this idea
I think by incorporating meele from your mom's ring you are giving it even more sentimentality and making it extra special to one day pass on to your own descendents

I hope my great grandma who i never meet would like what i did when i inherited her wedding ring from mum's jewlery box where it had languished unwarn since at least when my grandma had died
i knew i would not wear it as is so i had saphires set into it gypsy style (one for each of her children)
I wear it often
16149890751361796293318.jpg

What a lovely, sentimental tribute piece to your great grandma! I’m sure she loves it when she sees it from above. I know my dad will appreciate my project too. It’s good to be able to wear family pieces with meaning.

baublelove

Rough_Rock
It’s here courtesy of JYB Jewels out of Chicago! 0F8FB7FC-56B4-4ACF-95C1-FB5B98153EC8.jpeg

I had the 22 melee diamonds removed from the bands and had them gypsy-set into my dad’s band. They did a fabulous job spacing the melee according to my spec request and were able to keep the engraving of my dad’s name, wedding date, and brand name intact. I love it so much.

Attachments

• E62FC4B2-D548-4A0C-83B3-0BB831E4F1F3.png
    E62FC4B2-D548-4A0C-83B3-0BB831E4F1F3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 1AB9D215-D7FF-460C-B73C-EA57463043B0.jpeg
    1AB9D215-D7FF-460C-B73C-EA57463043B0.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 20

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
It’s here courtesy of JYB Jewels out of Chicago! 0F8FB7FC-56B4-4ACF-95C1-FB5B98153EC8.jpeg

I had the 22 melee diamonds removed from the bands and had them gypsy-set into my dad’s band. They did a fabulous job spacing the melee according to my spec request and were able to keep the engraving of my dad’s name, wedding date, and brand name intact. I love it so much.
Beautiful! I hope it brings you lots of joy & happy tears

Very pretty band. And the vendor did a fabulous job!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautiful! Such a lovely "family" piece to have for the future!

RockOnReen

Shiny_Rock
I love everything about this ring -- you've put together your mom's and dad's pieces into something both beautiful and meaningful. That makes it perfect in my book!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I really love this. I admit I was a little skeptical at what might be achieved without a total redo but this is marvelous. Enjoy and congrats!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely story and your new combined ring looks amazing. Wear it with joy in your heart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results