shape
carat
color
clarity

New project: shopping help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I finally got my act together, set a budget and started searching for one of my favourite gems: a sleepy stone that glows. My inspiration stone is a glowing pink tourmaline that my dealer once had. Unfortunately, a kashmir sapphire or Paraiba is out of my budget...

I have asked my local dealers and all of them looked at me like I had grown an extra head when I inquired about this. I haven''t hit on the right keywords to search on the net. So I wondered if PSers might be able to help (I am amazed at what you guys can find!)

Budget: $300 (but I can be flexible for the perfect stone)
Gem type: irrelevant, as long as it is a sleepy glow
Colour: preferably blue or pink, but anything goes
Preferably a cabochon
Eye clean
Size: at least 1ct, but less than 3cts

Bottom line: as long as it glows, I am happy.

Am I even remotely realistic with my budget? The inspiration stone was only around $60, since it had a lot of silk (obviously, exactly what I am looking for).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How about a moonstone? This one for example.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking moonstone too! I love them:)

vanessa_b

Rough_Rock
When I read your description I immediately thought of my moonstone. It is usually sleepy but when the light hits it the right way it lights up and glows, it''s so cool.

My ring came from Heart of Water Jewels on etsy.

vanessasring2-4.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.thegemtrader.com used to have 2 sleepy pink spinels for very reasonable prices. I like sleepy stones because they just don''t have any extinction. They just glow and have a soft velvety look.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vanessa, I never stop sighing over your moonstone!

vanessa_b

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 9:28:54 PM
Author: packrat
Vanessa, I never stop sighing over your moonstone!

Thanks, I love it so much!

And pretty reasonable if you want one of your own.
31.gif
11.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
And my list of pretties I *need* just got a little bit longer!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, besides those mentioned, pink tourmaline comes to mind. They''re not among the cleanest of stones so they''re often cut as cabs and tend to have a nice glow. You could find one within the budget, I''m sure. Milky aquamarine is also an option (for blue), and rose quartz is probably the most obvious and the least expensive.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had my eyes on Gemtrader''s spinel for quite a while, but unfortunately someone got them before I did... ACStone''s is also very nice and a strong contender (but I think I may have to act quickly before someone else gets it).

I don''t care much for moonstone. Perhaps because I associate it with bad stones and cheap silver. I know I should get over this!

I was offered this tourmaline today - rather unusual (aka, not at all eyeclean, but interesting) and a nice colour. The dealer tells me the inclusions are much more even than the photo shows, making it rather milky instead of streaky like the photo. Opinions?

No name works.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lady D,
no idea how you feel about the setting, but how about this ring - sky blue topaz cabochon, looks pretty glow-y to me
2.gif

If your budget for the stone is $300, this entire ring is $450 in 18k gold..

sky blue topaz1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
also this aqua cabochon, also glow-y
1.gif

aqua ring1.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Problem solved - thank you all for the help!

One of my favourite dealers came through with some lovely pink Mehenge spinel - neon pink and glowy. And, as I type, a 5ct piece of it is on its way to Dan for cutting. And it will end up within budget as well!

How good can life get? Unfortunately, no pics yet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results