shape
carat
color
clarity

New-ish Bespoke Gems Spess, finally off to be set

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I have had this spess from Doug @ Bespoke for quite some months now, but haven't gotten around to posting or taking pics of it.
It is 2.1cts - here is the original listing: bespoke spess

As soon as I received this gem I could see Doug's pics, although certainly accurate, did not do the spess full justice - it positively glows, and although his description says slightly included, I can't find anything with a loupe.

After chatting to Sally, I have decided to send off the spess to finally be set. It's been ages since I've worked with Sally, and I am really happy to be back in touch with her enthusiasm, sincerity and creativity.
I'll also be sending her these baguette diamonds, salvaged from the men's ring my OEC came in..I'm not sure of the specs on them, except that there are 12 total of varying sizes and they appear to be in the colourless and VS range - they appear bright and at least reasonably well cut.

At the moment, my idea is a version of the Iolanisetting, but with perhaps the diamonds channel set in the shank..?
I guess my concern is a bezel taking away from the glow and brightness of the spess at all..? If there are folks reading that have a combined bezel with prongs setting from HOW, I'd love to see one..

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome - Sally and I have agreed I would just send her the gem and the baguettes and we would figure out a design once they are there. I can't afford to splurge on the setting, but do feel the spess deserves a good home ::)
I practically stole the baguettes with the OEC's old setting, so this is just a nice excuse to use them. :bigsmile:

eta: oh, and looking back at Doug's site has proved dangerous! :sick: :rodent:

DSC09138.jpg

DSC09139.jpg

DSC09144.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! That's amazing! Can't wait to see it set.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
couple more pics of spess & diamonds:
(apologies they aren't creative or interesting!)

DSC09142.jpg

DSC09148.jpg

DSC09145.jpg

DSC09141.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
This is completely un-related as I don't have any plans for these yet, but for eye-candy's sake, I thought I would include a couple pics of my gems extracted from my failed bracelet project.
I hadn't seen them for many months, and had almost forgotten how pretty they are together!

(Again, apologies for the average pics, these were just taken on a whim..)

DSC09131.jpg

DSC09132.jpg

DSC09133.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Whoa! That thing looks like it has molten lava inside! I think it could hold it's own in a bezel but have you ever seen Sally channel set baguettes? I bet that is a tricky task requiring practice and skill. I do think that stones need diamonds to set it off. I can't wait to see the finished product.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1313306228|2990481 said:
Wow! That's amazing! Can't wait to see it set.

Thanks Athena ::)

kelpie said:
Whoa! That thing looks like it has molten lava inside! I think it could hold it's own in a bezel but have you ever seen Sally channel set baguettes? I bet that is a tricky task requiring practice and skill. I do think that stones need diamonds to set it off. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Hi Kelpie - cheers, I am really happy with the spess, being over 2ct and clean - and looks like I got in before the most recent price-hike.

I haven't seen a project from sally with channel set bags - although the idea was her suggestion. Sally originally suggested a solitaire for my spess, and a separate band for the bags, as I contacted her with multi-projects in mind (which I may still do);
then it was my idea to combine the two.
I know Sally would not suggest something if she was not confident herself and her setters can pull it off.
But you are right for sure, this is a look that requires precision. I guess I'll just ask - I've been out of the PS / jewellery 'loop' for some time, so I've missed plenty of projects.

I also agree with you, that although I have some gem solitaires I'm really fond of, I tend to prefer my gemstone rings with diamonds to offset them :))

Another thing, how do folks feel about diamonds in sterling silver? I don't own any (except one small bezelled diamond in a sterling gem 3 stone ring).
For those that may have had diamonds set in sterling through etsy or elsewhere, are you happy with the way they are wearing?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone glows and the color is amazing! I can see how Doug's pictures do not do it justice. I can not give any advice on feeling spessartites. The only time it worked for me was with a semi-bezel. It would be interesting to see what you and Sally finally come up with...

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! What a lovely glow it has. I'm sure the setting will be equally as lovely.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous spess! Whatever you do with it, it will be smashing. I like the baguette idea -- am sure Sally will come up with something unique & wonderful.

And I LOVE the colors of your other stones together -- whatever you end up doing w/them, they'd be glorious together!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
All the best with your new project. :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous Spess and Doug's cutting skills makes it even more outstanding. Such a beautiful color. I want to see this one completed as
I am thinking of working with Sally on a project.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I was always hoping you would come back and post this.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That spess is absolutely AMAZING... I love it. I don't think I'd be able to drive with that beauty on my finger, not without sunglasses. As for silver with diamonds, I think it most definitely works - especially when created by a fine craftsman/craftswoman. It's quite easy to polish and you don't have to conern yourself with re-dipping. A lot of designer jewelry available on the market has gone the route of silver with diamonds.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think your photos are better than the vendors! can't wait to see the finished ring.

Aven

Rough_Rock
That's going to be one gorgeous ring, I cant wait to see how she uses the baguettes in your ring.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came back to this post in the morning. To look at the stone once again. It glows in different monitors. Yesterday I saw it on my 'Droid screen (hence mistakes in my post; Droid "autocorrects"); today I tried a laptop and a desktop. Positively no brown on either! Great find! And a wonderful cut!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the finished product!! Hand shots!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I normally don't like orange, but that stone is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see it in its finished setting!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
YeeeOW that is some orange now! It's amazing!

T

talamasca

:love: gosh that's bright and soooo lovely. Can't wait for ring pics :D

Oooo I love your mix pastels, they're so delicate :D

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow...does that thing glow are what? It looks like it has its own light source!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down the most saturated and gorgeous spess I've seen. I would LOVE to find one like that. I would put it in a ring and never take it off :love: :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful spess! I also love the colors from your former bracelet. You have a great eye for combining different stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That spess it to die for. WOW. It certainly does glow!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks very much everyone for your kind comments!

I'm glad others think the spess is a lil special and it's not just my eye ::)

Apologies I haven't got as much time as I used to for keeping up with my threads, but I do promise to post about results.

cheers everyone! :wavey:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
YUM YUM ORANGE! :love: Can't wait to see pics of it set! :appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My gosh that orange is bright!! :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
update?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results