shape
carat
color
clarity

New guy just starting out in the world of Diamonds

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
You can go here and enter the URL into the text box.

translate.google.com

It will only translate text. This is important because some sites use images for navigation or other purposes.

And @Lovesparklesparle that doll hand is creepy, lol

Haha iknowright!

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the effort Sledge appreciate it. I’ll try looking at the imagines from the original document while reading the translation.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @DiamondHunter2020, welcome to PS.:wavey:

I have a website bookmarked that I refer to all the time. I've found it quite useful for definitions etc, so I can keep up with discussions on PS:
hearts-arrows-diamond-ideal-cut-dna.aspx

Good luck on your ring project--you've come to the right place! Kudo's to you for creating her dream ring! :appl: This will be a fun thread to watch!

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Hi @DiamondHunter2020, welcome to PS.:wavey:

I have a website bookmarked that I refer to all the time. I've found it quite useful for definitions etc, so I can keep up with discussions on PS:
hearts-arrows-diamond-ideal-cut-dna.aspx

Good luck on your ring project--you've come to the right place! Kudo's to you for creating her dream ring! :appl: This will be a fun thread to watch!

Thank you for the info, and I'm putting all my effort into getting my her new wedding band. My wife and I spent yesterday going to multiple jewelery stores. I'll report my findings when I get home from the restaurant.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Ok, my wife and I spent all of yesterday driving around from one Jewelry store to the next. A couple of them had wedding bands very similar to the ring my wife has the picture of. The difference is instead of having a double baguettes between round diamonds it was a single stone. My wife put that ring next to her E- ring and on the other side a eternity ring with just rounds diamonds. The eternity ring with all round diamonds definitely put on a better show. The ring with the baguettes, the round diamonds were small .07c. We both thought, perhaps thats why the ring under performed was just too small of diamonds. We confirmed later at another store that had the big sister of the same ring, and my wife didn't like It next to her E ring. (This is the first time she seen the ring in person) She said she likes the ring but would wear it by itself. I gave her the option either to have that ring made or find a band to go with her E-ring. She chose the latter of two, so the mission takes a twist. Start to look for 3/4 eternity band with round diamonds. First we had to figure out what size diamonds my wife wanted next to her engagement ring. I found a eternity band with diamonds approximately .27c each, to see how my wife liked it. She told me the diamonds were too big, and she didnt want to take the “ show “ away from her E ring diamond and didnt want to replaced her E ring diamond. I offered to do that as well. After comparing different size diamonds next to her ring I think we settled on diamonds approximately .20 points. She also found a new E ring setting she loves, a cathedral setting I believe. she loved how high the soltaire sat and the diamonds on both side ran up to the solitaire on both side between the prongs.

Heres what I know for certain. My wife was a 3/4 eternity or wedding band with round diamonds about .2c. We have seen various styles of settings, claw, fishtail, scalloped to name a few. Hopefully I remembered correctly. My wife likes the scalloped style best, any cons I should be aware of? She leaning very heavily toward the cathedral setting for her E ring. I’m sure we will go out again as well, and look online for more settings. Phew.......... thats it in a nut shell.
Hopefully this all makes sense, please hit me with question, comments. Yesterday was an enjoyable, and informed day on what she likes and didn't. Ultimately, about the picture of the ring she hung onto for so many years. I wanted to really make that happen, but more importantly its about her. To see her smiling while looking at all those rings was everything for me. What can I say I’m enjoying the process as someone else in the forum had said. Bye for now.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, my wife and I spent all of yesterday driving around from one Jewelry store to the next. A couple of them had wedding bands very similar to the ring my wife has the picture of. The difference is instead of having a double baguettes between round diamonds it was a single stone. My wife put that ring next to her E- ring and on the other side a eternity ring with just rounds diamonds. The eternity ring with all round diamonds definitely put on a better show. The ring with the baguettes, the round diamonds were small .07c. We both thought, perhaps thats why the ring under performed was just too small of diamonds. We confirmed later at another store that had the big sister of the same ring, and my wife didn't like It next to her E ring. (This is the first time she seen the ring in person) She said she likes the ring but would wear it by itself. I gave her the option either to have that ring made or find a band to go with her E-ring. She chose the latter of two, so the mission takes a twist. Start to look for 3/4 eternity band with round diamonds. First we had to figure out what size diamonds my wife wanted next to her engagement ring. I found a eternity band with diamonds approximately .27c each, to see how my wife liked it. She told me the diamonds were too big, and she didnt want to take the “ show “ away from her E ring diamond and didnt want to replaced her E ring diamond. I offered to do that as well. After comparing different size diamonds next to her ring I think we settled on diamonds approximately .20 points. She also found a new E ring setting she loves, a cathedral setting I believe. she loved how high the soltaire sat and the diamonds on both side ran up to the solitaire on both side between the prongs.

Heres what I know for certain. My wife was a 3/4 eternity or wedding band with round diamonds about .2c. We have seen various styles of settings, claw, fishtail, scalloped to name a few. Hopefully I remembered correctly. My wife likes the scalloped style best, any cons I should be aware of? She leaning very heavily toward the cathedral setting for her E ring. I’m sure we will go out again as well, and look online for more settings. Phew.......... thats it in a nut shell.
Hopefully this all makes sense, please hit me with question, comments. Yesterday was an enjoyable, and informed day on what she likes and didn't. Ultimately, about the picture of the ring she hung onto for so many years. I wanted to really make that happen, but more importantly its about her. To see her smiling while looking at all those rings was everything for me. What can I say I’m enjoying the process as someone else in the forum had said. Bye for now.

I'm glad you both managed to get out and work out what you like - that helps a lot.

If you're looking for 0.2ct MRBs, Brian Gavin stocks their Super Ideal range down to that size, but you may pay a premium for the cut quality.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you both managed to get out and work out what you like - that helps a lot.

If you're looking for 0.2ct MRBs, Brian Gavin stocks their Super Ideal range down to that size, but you may pay a premium for the cut quality.

I think they are the only super ideal vendors dropping to that size. And realistically the cost difference is pretty minimal in that size range between super ideal and XXX.

However, you are likely buying a larger quantity so the difference may grow to a more meaningful number depending the exact quantity needed.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock

I’m digging around for them now, I will check them as well. Thanks!

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I think they are the only super ideal vendors dropping to that size. And realistically the cost difference is pretty minimal in that size range between super ideal and XXX.

However, you are likely buying a larger quantity so the difference may grow to a more meaningful number depending the exact quantity needed.

Looks like I’ll need 12-14 diamonds.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I received via email 12 Diamond links that included AGS reportsas well of aset and ideal scope pics. t I plugged in the AGS numer inthe HCA tool found here. 7 out of the 12 came back between 1.2 -1.4 big. 4 were.9 big and the last was 1.4 average.
My question is how concerned should I be with the 4 at .9 big and the 1.4 average diamonds The big and average refers to the looks like size indicator found on the HCA tool. Just trying to make sense of it all.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My question is how concerned should I be with the 4 at .9 big and the 1.4 average diamonds The big and average refers to the looks like size indicator found on the HCA tool. Just trying to make sense of it all.
Nothing to worry about.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep this in mind. The purpose of the HCA is to take the data from the lab report and estimate how the stone may perform. The HCA can be incredibly useful for shortlisting stones but it's a poor indicator of pinpointing THE stone.

There's a couple of reasons why. First, the data you enter is from a lab report. And in the case of AGS, entering a SINGLE crown or pavilion angle means the 8 actual values were averaged together so the values you see on the report is accurate to a point, but it is averaged. In the case of GIA stones, the reports not only averages the actual values but they also round them. Not to mention calibration, tolerances, etc of the instruments utilized to obtain the measurements.

The second issue is that you enter the main facet data but none of the minor facets like LGF's, stars, etc. Nor can you make concessions for irregularities like twisted LGF's or pavilion mains.

Lastly, once the data is input the HCA makes its own assumptions and estimations to finally kick out a score.

Again, it's a great tool for the function it serves. And that function is getting you in the ballpark. It then takes additional analysis to make a final decision.

In your case, you have AGS certs. That is a good thing. If they have the computer generated ASET on the report that's even better as it's showing the light return of each stone.

But the real icing on the cake is the fact you have actual ASET and H&A images to analyze. Those items trump the HCA scores and computer generated data. So if those are good then you have picked stones with good light return, which is your end goal.

What the variance in HCA scores does tell me is that while all are acceptable you may have some slightly different personality differences. Those personalities will be defined by the proportions (table size, depth, CA and PA) of each stone.

In a perfect world, we may desire 17 stones that are exactly the same. Realistically, the available market says we can give you 17 ideal stones but each one won't be 100% identical. Given the size of the stones these slight variances are likely non-meaningful to the naked eye.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Keep this in mind. The purpose of the HCA is to take the data from the lab report and estimate how the stone may perform. The HCA can be incredibly useful for shortlisting stones but it's a poor indicator of pinpointing THE stone.

There's a couple of reasons why. First, the data you enter is from a lab report. And in the case of AGS, entering a SINGLE crown or pavilion angle means the 8 actual values were averaged together so the values you see on the report is accurate to a point, but it is averaged. In the case of GIA stones, the reports not only averages the actual values but they also round them. Not to mention calibration, tolerances, etc of the instruments utilized to obtain the measurements.

The second issue is that you enter the main facet data but none of the minor facets like LGF's, stars, etc. Nor can you make concessions for irregularities like twisted LGF's or pavilion mains.

Lastly, once the data is input the HCA makes its own assumptions and estimations to finally kick out a score.

Again, it's a great tool for the function it serves. And that function is getting you in the ballpark. It then takes additional analysis to make a final decision.

In your case, you have AGS certs. That is a good thing. If they have the computer generated ASET on the report that's even better as it's showing the light return of each stone.

But the real icing on the cake is the fact you have actual ASET and H&A images to analyze. Those items trump the HCA scores and computer generated data. So if those are good then you have picked stones with good light return, which is your end goal.

What the variance in HCA scores does tell me is that while all are acceptable you may have some slightly different personality differences. Those personalities will be defined by the proportions (table size, depth, CA and PA) of each stone.

In a perfect world, we may desire 17 stones that are exactly the same. Realistically, the available market says we can give you 17 ideal stones but each one won't be 100% identical. Given the size of the stones these slight variances are likely non-meaningful to the naked eye.

Sledge thank you for your explanation. If I can figure out how to post some of the images on here, perhaps you would be so kind to offer your insight on what you see.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DiamondHunter2020

If your wife is planning on wearing the ring next to her ering you will need to make sure the design of the eternity ring does not allow for the
diamonds to rub up against the engagement ring (they will scratch/eat away at the metal).

Post a picture of the engagement ring she likes and we can see if it is a style that will hold off the eternity band (they usually have a donut under
the main diamond).

BTW...baguettes do not have anywhere near the same sparkle factor as round brilliants. They are step cut and IMO* dont offer much in the way
of sparkle.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
@DiamondHunter2020

If your wife is planning on wearing the ring next to her ering you will need to make sure the design of the eternity ring does not allow for the
diamonds to rub up against the engagement ring (they will scratch/eat away at the metal).

Post a picture of the engagement ring she likes and we can see if it is a style that will hold off the eternity band (they usually have a donut under
the main diamond).

BTW...baguettes do not have anywhere near the same sparkle factor as round brilliants. They are step cut and IMO* dont offer much in the way
of sparkle.

This is the ring we are considering getting.

AAE7396A-48DC-441D-991A-A9036115480F.jpeg

88D90D0B-DB26-46C4-A27E-E5295525F227.jpeg

C37DF94A-A474-49D2-AAA4-6746B77DC789.jpeg

ED5042EF-7155-4BE4-B965-BE6F839C5CD6.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sledge thank you for your explanation. If I can figure out how to post some of the images on here, perhaps you would be so kind to offer your insight on what you see.

Absolutely, just page me by putting the @ symbol in front of my name so I receive an alert. Glad to see you are moving in a positive direction here.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great thread - you're getting some terrific advice @DiamondHunter2020 - if any of it confuses you, don't hesitate to ask for clarification or re-explanation - this is a LOT of info to absorb. By the time you finish, you'll know more than just about any typical salesperson at a local mall. Love this!

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Absolutely, just page me by putting the @ symbol in front of my name so I receive an alert. Glad to see you are moving in a positive direction here.

Will do sledge. yes, its a slow process but who’s in a hurry. I’m enjoying the process and learning about all this. I want to learn how to spot light leakage by just seeing a diamond rotating around.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Great thread - you're getting some terrific advice @DiamondHunter2020 - if any of it confuses you, don't hesitate to ask for clarification or re-explanation - this is a LOT of info to absorb. By the time you finish, you'll know more than just about any typical salesperson at a local mall. Love this!

Im loving all of this as well. I will be firing questions, I’ll be reading through this threat just to remind myself all that was said.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
This is the first diamond, 1 of 12. I’d like to take them one at a time for the benefit of learning and to avoid confusion Of listing to many at once. So here we go.......

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/0.202-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104102250040

Heres what I see

hearts image at 2, 4 and 5 oclock i see things around the shoulders. At 5 oclock I see a white piece close to the shoulder.

aset image not really seeing any issues there

Ideal image i see the arrow at 10 oclock, the shaft portion at the center is heavy on one side where the rest have a point centered on the shaft at the end in the middle of the image. Not sure if that is a big deal but its what i see.

Last edited:

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Heres a better look at the setting my wife likes

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/4-eternity-u-prong-platinum-5398p
This is the first diamond, 1 of 12. I’d like to take them one at a time for the benefit of learning and to avoid confusion Of listing to many at once. So here we go.......

Heres what I see

hearts image at 2, 4 and 5 oclock i see things around the shoulders. At 5 oclock I see a white piece close to the shoulder.

Ideal image i see the arrow at 10 oclock, the shaft portion at the center is heavy on one side where the rest have a point centered on the shaft at the end in the middle of the image. Not sure if that is a big deal but its what i see.

@sledge

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock

Heres what I see

@sledge

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results