shape
carat
color
clarity

New guy just starting out in the world of Diamonds

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself, before I begin this journey. I have been snooping around gathering information about diamonds for approximately a month now. So I think I know a couple things, but I’m ready for an education. I’ve only been hanging around here for a few days now, looking at threads that have been set up for the new person. Things like the glossary, links that caught my eye etc. I was first introduced to this site by a thread titled “Are we too elists & doing 99% of the newbies a disservice”. This thread was kinda of an eye opener, as I was casually reading through some of it. Anyways I’m slowly working my way through that thread finding it interestin.

In a nutshell the ultimate goal is to buy loose round and baguette diamonds to have a ring made that my wife found a picture of over 16 years ago. I‘ve only scratched the surface with things like ideal, aset, and hearts and arrows images. I’ve been looking at GIA and AGS reports As well. Finding all of it fascinating, and ready to dig in further. I’m not really a forum kind of guy, especially with all the typing in my foreseeable future, but I see value in joining this forum. Most importantly I feel you guys can can help me present my wife with the ring shes desired for 16 years. Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling. I post more info at my next opportunity. This guy needs some shut eye, good night all.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Welcome! What does the ring she liked look like? Do you have a picture?

I have decided I don't wait ring to be a full eternity ring but have enough metal to be able to size the ring up or down.

735780E9-56C9-470A-9CB6-A2C8D5D63617.jpeg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I love this. So romantic! Does she still talk about this ring today?

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Questions time........ ideally is it better to have inclusions off to the side in a diamond? I’ve seen some diamonds with clouds in the table, seems to me that it would have a negative impact on the overall light performance.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know some essential things like her ring size? What type and color of metal she prefers? Is there a width she likes? Believe it or not looking at rings online can be deceptive to in person.

Is she coupling this band with a traditional e-ring? If so, what does that look like?

Knowing width and ring size helps determine how many stones and what size of stones you may need.

By chance, have you decided if you plan on trying to have this made locally or will you need a recommendation for a trusted jeweler that can breath the inspiration to life?

I custom designed my wife's ring using an inspiration piece and enjoyed the process. I elected to use David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles which is across the country from me. The ladies here helped with so much regarding tilting stones, cleaning holes and countless other small things.

I had to communicate those ideas via sketch, email, phone and text to DK. It wasn't hard but it does require you to verbalize desires. Of course forwarding the inspiration picture is the starting point. They will be able to start design and keep things in proportion with your wife's exact ring size.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also do you know what color of stone(s) your wife prefers and also the clarity?

If matching to an existing e-ring, do you know the color and clarity of those existing stones?

And would you/she like the new ones to match the existing?

Lastly, if an existing stone is being matched, what size is it and what lab graded the color? This can be important because a 2 carat H stone has a larger body and may show slightly more tint than a 0.5 carat H with a much smaller body. The side (body, or pavilion) is where color is seen and graded on round diamonds. Also you can get variation in color depending on the lab. And in warmer colors there can be a "range" or "band" of slight variation in say a J or K that isn't as prevalent in a D or E.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are going to have a hard time sourcing these stones yourself. What size do you plan for the round stones (related to how wide you want
the band to be). James Allens GIA graded stones start at 20 pointers (about 3.8).

In general, I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend. Since these stones are smaller you could get away with non-certified stones
as long as you are working with a trusted vendor. A trusted vendor will get you well-cut stones that match. The baguettes will mostly not be certified.
If you have a bigger budget and want certified stones, that's fine too. I would let the vendor give you their recommendations for matching stones.

I second David Klass. I have a ring made by him and he does excellent work.

We've hit you with a lot of questions. I'll let you answer those before hitting you with more :eek2:!

Oh, and welcome to Pricescope!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before deciding on a simple wedding band for myself, I considered getting a super ideal diamond and somehow incorporating. I had a tough time finding smaller super ideal diamonds. Not suggesting you need super ideal for your project, but when I was looking I noticed Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) had all the way down to 0.20ct stones. That seems to be smaller than other super ideal vendors.

The price difference was negligible for super ideal in this size vs GIA XXX stones.

That said, a vendor like WhiteFlash (WF) could probably also custom make this piece and they have "super ideal melee" that isn't individually certified but rather bulk certified and may be a good compromise on quality and price. At least for the round stones. To my knowledge, you can't just buy their super ideal melee by itself, but if you custom build a ring with them then will utilize.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Do you know some essential things like her ring size? What type and color of metal she prefers? Is there a width she likes? Believe it or not looking at rings online can be deceptive to in person.

Ring size is approx 7.5 but will get confirmed. Metal for the ring will either be white gold or platinum. Width of the ring will be based on a 30 point round diamonds. That was the lowest graded diamonds I could find, size looks good to me. will have her try on eternity rings with that size diamond to confirm also.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Also do you know what color of stone(s) your wife prefers and also the clarity?

If matching to an existing e-ring, do you know the color and clarity of those existing stones?

And would you/she like the new ones to match the existing?

Lastly, if an existing stone is being matched, what size is it and what lab graded the color? This can be important because a 2 carat H stone has a larger body and may show slightly more tint than a 0.5 carat H with a much smaller body. The side (body, or pavilion) is where color is seen and graded on round diamonds. Also you can get variation in color depending on the lab. And in warmer colors there can be a "range" or "band" of slight variation in say a J or K that isn't as prevalent in a D or E.

In doing my research my general guidelines is as follows for diamonds: Cut - an awesome one more discussion on that later, clarity - VS to SI1, color F- H. Now my wife’s engagement ring is a GIA certified 3/4 D color solitaire. The D color just when we were looking at a pile of stones that one caught my wifes eye.

Last edited:

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I think you are going to have a hard time sourcing these stones yourself. What size do you plan for the round stones (related to how wide you want
the band to be). James Allens GIA graded stones start at 20 pointers (about 3.8).

In general, I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend. Since these stones are smaller you could get away with non-certified stones
as long as you are working with a trusted vendor. A trusted vendor will get you well-cut stones that match. The baguettes will mostly not be certified.
If you have a bigger budget and want certified stones, that's fine too. I would let the vendor give you their recommendations for matching stones.

I second David Klass. I have a ring made by him and he does excellent work.

We've hit you with a lot of questions. I'll let you answer those before hitting you with more :eek2:!

Oh, and welcome to Pricescope!

Now the world of hearts and arrows, idea scope, asset scope, AGS reports was introduced to me when I started looking at graded diamonds for this ring. Cant wait to dig in more about all that! I dont have a dedicated Jeweler to work with, I open to suggestion. I will put David Klass on the list of potential jewelers to work with.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention as far as baguettes go, my understanding is they require a clarity rating of VS or better. Not sure.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a heads up....

0.20 carats = approx 3.80mm diameter
0.30 carats = approx 4.30mm diameter

You'd need a little more width for the ring itself. I'd make sure your wife is okay with a band this wide. If she's not you need to adjust down the diamond sizes.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
Just a heads up....

0.20 carats = approx 3.80mm diameter
0.30 carats = approx 4.30mm diameter

You'd need a little more width for the ring itself. I'd make sure your wife is okay with a band this wide. If she's not you need to adjust down the diamond sizes.
I agree, I have this weekend off and I plan on taking my wife out to try some eternity rings on with that size diamonds.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I have a question about clouds found on the diamond table. It seems to me that would be an undesirable location. when I think about a cloud in general, it blocks sunlight. Wouldnt it hamper the light performance of a diamond. Ive seen some AGS reports with a rather large cloud on the table. Are there type of inclusions if found on a diamond any where that would prevent you from buying it?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't recommend trying to buy all of the stones loose. It's going to be really tricky and annoying to buy multiple loose stones that have certs. I think you are better off asking a trusted vendor to make this for you (David Klass, etc).

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I agree. There’s a lot of stones in that ring! However, this project seems like it’s as much (if not more) about the process as the result? Something you’ve dreamed about for years and want to pour your heart in to. A labour of love. If this is the case, you’re prepared to do the work and probably pay more, then this story just got even more sweet.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Depends on the density/severity/size of the cloud. Some are not eye visible, some are very visible/affect transparency.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't recommend trying to buy all of the stones loose. It's going to be really tricky and annoying to buy multiple loose stones that have certs. I think you are better off asking a trusted vendor to make this for you (David Klass, etc).

I realize theres going to be work involved picking diamonds particularly graded round diamonds. The baguettes its just a matter of color and clarity, although I’d like to use a aset scope on them. I had the opportunity to go to a jewelry store and look at hearts on fire round diamonds. I learned all their diamonds no matter the size are cut for hearts and arrows. I looked at a center diamond surrounded by melee diamonds through a scope. I was amazed to see all the hearts and arrows. I spent 3 hrs in the place looking at diamonds that day. I guess what I saying I’m enjoying the process very much, and willing to do what is necessary for my wife’s ring.

Tomorrow I’m taking my wife to get her ring finger sized and try on some eternity rings with 30 point diamonds to see how she likes the ring on her finger.

DiamondHunter2020

Rough_Rock
I found the link on here about hearts and arrows but the documents are written in Japanese. How do I get it translated to english? Thought I seen an explanation on how to do it but having trouble finding it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the link on here about hearts and arrows but the documents are written in Japanese. How do I get it translated to english? Thought I seen an explanation on how to do it but having trouble finding it.
Can you link to that page??

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you need the link for? To learn about hearts and arrow diamonds? We have links to places with that kind of info. Whiteflash for one.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you need the link for? To learn about hearts and arrow diamonds? We have links to places with that kind of info. Whiteflash for one.

I only ask because if we have links on PS to documents on PS in Japanese, that should probably be looked at ;-)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can go here and enter the URL into the text box.

translate.google.com

It will only translate text. This is important because some sites use images for navigation or other purposes.

And @Lovesparklesparle that doll hand is creepy, lol

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Translating the PDF leaves a little to be desired, but here you go. Including PNG and PDF files both. You will probably need to look at the original document for the images, as the translator didn't include the images.

Central Jewelry Institute_Page_1.png

Central Jewelry Institute_Page_2.png

Central Jewelry Institute_Page_3.png

Central Jewelry Institute_Page_4.png

Central Jewelry Institute_Page_5.png

Attachments

• Central Jewelry Institute.pdf
    225.3 KB · Views: 27
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results