shape
carat
color
clarity

New Gem Case - Perfect for my small collection!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
This won''t fit the bill for you PSers with museum-size gemstone collections, but for what I have, it works very well. Here''s what I''d been keeping my stones in before - just a standard 4"x3" Riker mount box with the cotton batting removed. It was very portable, but as you can see, I was starting to run out of room. And the gem boxes fit almost too perfectly - there wasn''t much room around the sides, which made it difficult to get a box out.

IMG_9744-1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
My well-loved box of happy!
1.gif
I used to keep this on my beside table, and look at it first thing in the morning, lol.

IMG_9734-1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I was keenly interested in keeping the square gem jars. I know most people prefer the glass topped ones, but honestly, they're such a pain to open, and I can't tell you how many jewelers have tried to pry them open with a fingernail, or open them in mid-air (while I envision the stone flying off). I had a heck of a time finding a gem case that didn't have those round plastic gem jars, but finally, I saw this from RioGrande.

My square jars are exactly half the size of the ones pictured here, so I can switch them out and put two in a single space.

RioGrande gem box.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The outside has the look of a really nice necklace box you might get from an upscale jeweler.

IMG_9847-3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
It''s 1 3/16-inches deep.

IMG_9850-3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The underside of the flaps are padded and lined.

IMG_9854-3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve already switched out some of the wide boxes for the smaller ones.

IMG_9858-3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And lastly, the middle portion has a ribbon tab so you can remove it. Don''t know why you''d want to, but it''s a solid, unbendable piece - very sturdy. The boxes are held in tightly, and I could turn it upside-down without them falling out.

IMG_9865-3.JPG

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Lovely box and lovely collection.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
great find cellen and your gems look lovely in there
30.gif

do you mind to share the cost? (sorry, I''m being a tad lazy)
2.gif

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i love that box, me want!
30.gif

i love those stones, me want!
3.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks oddoneout!

AJ, the box only cost $16.70 (slight reductions if you purchase more than one), but the shipping (within the US) is about $9.50, so I usually try to buy more than one item.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a new gem box, but if I had to hold one stone to a box, it would have to be ten times that size!! LOL! Thanks for sharing your new gem boxes with us. You are such an organized gem collector (unlike me).

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:41:24 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I need a new gem box, but if I had to hold one stone to a box, it would have to be ten times that size!! LOL! Thanks for sharing your new gem boxes with us. You are such an organized gem collector (unlike me).
I think I have somethiing that might suit you, TL. I''ll post it later.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cell,
Do you also own a gem scale? I need one of those too. I want an affordable one though. Thanks!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
A gem case is something no girl should be without - right Cell? I got mine from Stuller. It was a bit more money than yours, but I had to go through a jeweller to get it.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Your collection looks so lovely in the new box of happy!!!

And it just keeps groooooowing!
31.gif
30.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like you new gem box..very nice..looks like it has one space left...hmm..wonder what is going to go there?
31.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I like the new gem case, but I love the first shot of the old case. Something about the gems being such a large, similar size . . . it''s like adult gumballs! Love eet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks great! And your collections is so awesome. I would look at it each morning too.
9.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And this is for all of you with the BIG collections: a five-drawer case with customizable inserts.

IMG_9956.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Each drawer can hold a full-size insert, so you can use many different sizes of gem jars.

IMG_9953.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I love how versatile this is - you can even get jewelry inserts for rings, etc.

IMG_9950.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:47:15 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Cell,
Do you also own a gem scale? I need one of those too. I want an affordable one though. Thanks!
I don''t have a gem scale. My jeweler has one, so I just go there if I need it. Are you looking for a portable or table-top one?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes! Is that gem chest/drawer yours as well?
23.gif
I love to organize my things but for some reason, it stops short of a gem case for me. I really dislike the plastic cases though as they all crack on me, and once damaged, they never close properly again.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Cellentani, I envy you your organization not to mention your stones. But now that I''ve mentioned them, especially that new sphene! I just think they''ll suffocate in that box.
Surely there is a talented jewelry artist in your area who could set them so they could... um...join your on your adventures!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Cellentani, what a great thread!

love your box of happy!

During this year of hell at work for me, I rotate my individual boxes of happy right by my monitor. Because I telecommute, I don''t have to worry about sticky fingers...

I need one of these right now!

Going to check RioGrande!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 3:26:27 PM
Author: Chrono
Holy smokes! Is that gem chest/drawer yours as well?
23.gif
I love to organize my things but for some reason, it stops short of a gem case for me. I really dislike the plastic cases though as they all crack on me, and once damaged, they never close properly again.
Yeah, I''m a sucker for organizers, especially ones that look semi-nice and aren''t all plastic. I know that makes me a big dork.

I''ve also got storage for my pearl strands (which I need to string!), rings, earrings, findings.......well, you get the picture.

5 drawer box.JPG

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
Your stones and boxes are outstanding!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results