shape
carat
color
clarity

New garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 7:25:32 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
That would explain it. Those energy saving bulbs make everything look crummy.
Incandescent are the old fashioned bulbs.
Now, the color and lighting makes more sense. Incandescents are very strong in red, and gradually and smoothly decrease in intensity in orange, yellow, green, and blue, and violet.

Fluorescents vary widely in their color spectrum, due to different mixes of phosphors, and they can make quite discontinuous jumps (up and down) in light output, according to color. No flurorescent, even full spectrum fluorescents, are strong in red. Their light output cuts off at about 610-620 nm in the red-orange. So a red spinel would look orange under any fluorescent, and rubies look sick also, since there is no red in the fluorescent source to show their full color.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mr. Zeolite :)

Think this still classifies as a Malaya?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 4:38:06 PM
Author: zeolite
Don't send it back! You, and maybe the vendor, do not realize what you have!

Garnets are of cubic crystal structure, so they can't show dichroism, as a tourmaline can. The two colors you are seeing is from two different types of light sources: red-purple from incandescent lighting, and yellow from daylight. What you have is a color shift (if not a color change) gem. That makes perfect sense, since all color change garnets are pyrope-spessartines (malaya is a sub group of this type).

In addition, pastel (hence brilliant) garnets are VERY rare. You have a winner there. I'm sure Pandora or I will want it, if you don't!
Ssshhhhh
28.gif

Don't talk to me about the searches I have done....

With this particular stone, the only downside for me would be the size - I like them a bit bigger, but otherwise I'll fight you for it!

RE: is it a Malaia?

What is the RI for it? And what does it have in the way of inclusions?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 8:24:33 PM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 3/29/2009 4:38:06 PM

Author: zeolite

Don't send it back! You, and maybe the vendor, do not realize what you have!

Garnets are of cubic crystal structure, so they can't show dichroism, as a tourmaline can. The two colors you are seeing is from two different types of light sources: red-purple from incandescent lighting, and yellow from daylight. What you have is a color shift (if not a color change) gem. That makes perfect sense, since all color change garnets are pyrope-spessartines (malaya is a sub group of this type).

In addition, pastel (hence brilliant) garnets are VERY rare. You have a winner there. I'm sure Pandora or I will want it, if you don't!

Ssshhhhh
28.gif

Don't talk to me about the searches I have done....

With this particular stone, the only downside for me would be the size - I like them a bit bigger, but otherwise I'll fight you for it!

RE: is it a Malaia?

What is the RI for it? And what does it have in the way of inclusions?

According to the seller, the RI is right abour 1.75. Under a 10x loupe I see little black dots (carbon spots?) and very very fine silk like threads.

Also, she has some larger stones of this variety, I think she bought a large parcel. This was the smallest (I like petite stones), I think the largest is this oval at 1.6 ct

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCEPTIONAL-COLOR-IMPERIAL-MALAYA-GARNET-OVAL_W0QQitemZ230271033274QQihZ013QQcategoryZ10224QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 7:57:45 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Thanks Mr. Zeolite :)

Think this still classifies as a Malaya?

If it is a pyrope-spessartine by chemical analysis, then yes it is a malaya, since that is a sub-grouping of pyrope-spessartine.

But I think your question is more: is it a color shift garnet? The answer to that strongly depends on how accurate your photo color is, compared to the actual change you see with your eye.

Some people may scoff at a color shift garnet vs a top quality alexandrite, but that is a difference of $80/ct vs $8,000/ct.

Here is a garnet, somewhat in the range you show, but both colors are tweaked in Photoshop to match what I see with my eye. Cameras don''t record either color accurately, and the pictures need to be adjusted. I consider this a color change, not a color shift.

shieldccgarn.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pics Mr. Zeolite! Are those part of your collection?

And the color change from golden yellow to slightly purplish pink is very distinct in the two lighting situations. I didn''t tweak the photos any, but the colors are very representative (just a tad lighter and brighter in real life)

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 8:47:44 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Lovely pics Mr. Zeolite! Are those part of your collection?

And the color change from golden yellow to slightly purplish pink is very distinct in the two lighting situations. I didn''t tweak the photos any, but the colors are very representative (just a tad lighter and brighter in real life)
Yes, I have 9 or so color change garnets, as part of my collection.

Then I think you should keep the garnet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a malaya that I love, it''s a pastel color that shifts it''s color (like yours), but I do hear you. If you don''t like it and the reason you bought it was for wearing it, then return it. If you are a serious collector of garnets, then perhaps it would be in your best interest to keep it. It''s a tough call here.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool stone. I''d keep it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
$80 for that stone is probably a bargain. but if you don''t like it, you don''t like it. send it to me!

mz

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 9:37:11 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I have a malaya that I love, it''s a pastel color that shifts it''s color (like yours), but I do hear you. If you don''t like it and the reason you bought it was for wearing it, then return it. If you are a serious collector of garnets, then perhaps it would be in your best interest to keep it. It''s a tough call here.

One day I''d like to be a collector :) So the stone will stay here with me as my color-changer. Haha, I can see how it got it''s "outcast" name, it really doesn''t look like it belongs with the others.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
For that price, I would keep it. Or maybe just get a silver etsy setting for it. That is what I am going to do with my tourmaline that has a gray cast too it under certain lighting conditions. I consider that stone as an investment towards my gem education. It was not expensive, and I now know what I don''t want in a stone.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the stone as well, but I can see how the colour is close to your skin tone. That would bother me as well.

Now I am off to ebay, to check out the rest of the lot. I have a feeling they won''t go so cheap, judging by the interest in this thread. Or maybe I should fight Mr Zeolite for yours (not really)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 10:53:02 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
For that price, I would keep it. Or maybe just get a silver etsy setting for it. That is what I am going to do with my tourmaline that has a gray cast too it under certain lighting conditions. I consider that stone as an investment towards my gem education. It was not expensive, and I now know what I don''t want in a stone.

That''s a great idea. I found this setting on etsy, thought it looked quite cute. Do you think it''d be a bad idea to bezel the stone?
Bead setting

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So you''re going to keep it? I think it would look nice in that setting. As for the bezeling, I think stones behave differently based on their cut, saturation and RI. IIRC, it''s a case-by-case thing. How does it look set into a tinfoil cup?

knitwit

Rough_Rock
I personally love the color...I wear lots of pinks and browns. One of my future projects is some type of brown stone set in rose gold. I''d keep it, if it were me.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Oh i love it!!! It''s beautiful!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent the garnet off to get set in a simple silver setting, love the beaded band detail :) The vendor snapped some quick shots outside for me, although she hasn''t polished the silver yet. Still, I think it looks nice!
pic1
Pic2

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture if you don''t want to click the link, hehe.

garnetbeadring.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool!!!! I can''t wait to see it on your finger!

mochi

Ideal_Rock

I''m so glad you posted the pictures..when I click on your links I get very sad faces...

Your ring is pretty. I find that some of my garnets are a bit ''cranky'' pants under certain lightings.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 7:29:20 PM
Author: mochi

I''m so glad you posted the pictures..when I click on your links I get very sad faces...

Your ring is pretty. I find that some of my garnets are a bit ''cranky'' pants under certain lightings.

Oops, sorry, I didn''t realize the links weren''t working.
Here''s a side view, and yeah, the color in this one can be quite cranky, and not mention varied!

ringinprofiles.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just thought I would bring this thread up again since I just bought a Malaya from the same seller. Thanks for the enabling MTG! I may be a copycat and set the stone the same way! The stone looks gorgeous in that setting!! I will weigh in on the stone once I receive it. This thread has been both enlightning and enabling! LOL!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 3:32:48 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
I just thought I would bring this thread up again since I just bought a Malaya from the same seller. Thanks for the enabling MTG! I may be a copycat and set the stone the same way! The stone looks gorgeous in that setting!! I will weigh in on the stone once I receive it. This thread has been both enlightning and enabling! LOL!
Hehe, I do love to enable! :) I love this setting for this stone, I think the bezeling really helped the stone :) Can''t wait for pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results