shape
carat
color
clarity

new comer with loads of questions...help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dryice

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I''m a new comer and I''m really happy that I found this site! I plan to purchase a diamond and a setting online, but most likely from 2 different sites. That creates the problem of putting the 2 together and making a ring out of them. I''m wondering if any local jeweler would be willing to do this for me. If anyone''s done this, could you please post some pricing information? I live in the San Francisco bay area. Can anyone recommend a quality jeweler in my area who''s willing to set the stone for me?

I like the Tiffany 6-prong replica by Lazare Kaplan. Does anyone know how much it is? I''m debating between this and the same replica by Superbcert. Does anyone has an opinon or advice on this?

I''m getting the Sarin report for the diamond that I want to buy. I''ll post it here once I get it. I hope you guys can help me make a decision. I almost bought this other stone. Then I found the HCA. Plugged in the numbers and got a 4!
eek.gif
It was a AGS0 too. Hopefully I''ll have better luck this time.

Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong forum.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
If you plan to have the diamond examined prior to purchase, you can have it shipped to an approved appraiser. Many Vendors will do this without requiring payment in advance. The appraiser works for you and will report to you. There is a list you can access by clicking on the Appraisers link at the top of the page.

You can also have your setting shipped to the appraiser. Most appraisers work with master jewelers and regularly set diamonds for people. Once you approve of the evaluation and agree to purchase the diamond, you pay the Vendor, and the appraiser can arrange to have the diamond set for you.

You can also PM Mara for recommendations in the Bay area. She is very knowledgeable on the right people to do work for you locally.
1.gif

dryice

Rough_Rock
thank you pqcollectibles for your speedy response!

I like your idea and will ask the vendor if they're willing to do this. But I'm still not sure exactly how this process will work

1) So if I get the thumbs up from my appraiser, do I then buy the setting and deliver it to the appraiser, who in turn will find a master jeweler to set the stone?

2) do I need to pay for the shipping charge to have the vendor ship the stone to the appraiser then back (if I don't like it)?

3) also, do I get to watch while they set the stone? I'm just a little paranoid about some jeweler doing a quick slight of hand on my stone in some room at the back of the store.

And of course I eagerly await a reply from PM Mara
wacko.gif

dryice

Rough_Rock
Oops, disregard the 1st question in my previous post. Stupid me. I did not read your reply carefully enough.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joe Escobar in Campbell has alot of settings, you may want to take a peek at their selection, I found it the best while I was looking around, and their staff and service is excellent.

Also do not discount maul jewelers when it comes to settings. I found a few nice solitaire settings I liked that were different than others I'd found, it's always possible to get the setting in one place and send it to your diamond vendor to have them set the stone.

I personally would have the diamond vendor set the stone for you as the stone is probably what costs more and is therefore more valuable in case anything happens. Thought I would take a diamond to be set by Escobar Diamonds if they had a setting I liked, they do alot of custom work so I'm sure they are familiar with setting other stones.

Willow Glen Jewelers is also very nice and reputable, I visited them too. Stay away from the maul and the 'jewelry center' in SF (my opinion)...if you want to start a relationship with a local jeweler, now is the time.

If you are interested in taking a drive, our jeweler is in Aptos, CA..Jeff Garrett of Garrett Jewelers. A nice fun drive on a weekend and they have a custom designer as well. Small store, not sure if they carry Lazare Kaplan settings.

Good luck!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The Price Scope list of appraisers is approved because they are reputable. Reputation and your word is how the diamond business works. If either is tarnished, it can ruin a life-long career. You don't have to worry about any slight of hand tricks with any of the appraisers on the PS list.

You can search past PS threads by name and check feedback on the various PS appraisers. New England Gem Labs, Rich Sherwood, and Dave Atlas all contribute to the Forum sharing expert opinions and knowledge on a regular basis.

Mara knows a great appraiser in the Bay area and can advise you about who to see locally for setting your diamond.

I believe if you do not purchase a diamond sent to an appraiser, you are responsible for the cost to ship the diamond back to the Vendor. If the Vendor charges to ship the diamond to either you or an appraiser, you will be responsible for that cost as well.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mara, we musta both been typing at the same time!
9.gif

dryice

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara! That's another cool idea to send the setting to my diamond vendor and have them set it.

dryice

Rough_Rock
ok, I think Nancy Stacy is the closest PS approved appraiser to me. I'll contact her first thing in the moring. There was a thread that said that she's extremely busy and can be booked solid for months into the future?!?

I have another question. When I use the diamond search engine here at PS, click on the link, and see a different price (usually higher) at the vendor's site. The legend at the top of the page says:

Prices marked with * are specials for PriceScope visitors only!

What does that mean? Do I need to mention to the vendor that I saw this stone priced at a lower price on PS?
confused.gif

lenore80

Rough_Rock

oops, lost my message!

Im pretty sure Lazare Kaplan will not sell their settings without one of their stones. If you look up "lazare kaplan" on the boards there is a ton of information about it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes always mention pricescope when dealing with the vendors that list there.
Even if there isnt a lower price listed on the search engine.
Several offer discounts, whiteflash 5% i believe , im not sure about the others.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
dry..we used Nancy for our appraisals and she is great. Make sure to call in advance to setup your appointment, sometimes she can squeeze you in (she did with us luckily) but at times she can be really busy!

dryice

Rough_Rock
yeah, I know that Lazare Kapaln won't sell their settings alone. But there was a post that says a local jeweler who carries the Lazare band convinced the company to sell the setting with the Lazare logo removed. I'm hoping to go that route. It's a long shot. But it never hurts to try.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
purchase your diamond online for the best price but hold off buying the setting online and go to your local store and purchase and have it set it there. reasons:
1) you can see what your stone looks like in the setting
2) there is some room to work priceswise on settings, so you can still get a decent deal at your jewelry store.
3) craftsmanship warranty regarding the setting work done

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 2:38:37 PM highendgems wrote:

purchase your diamond online for the best price but hold off buying the setting online and go to your local store and purchase and have it set it there. reasons:
1) you can see what your stone looks like in the setting
2) there is some room to work priceswise on settings, so you can still get a decent deal at your jewelry store.
3) craftsmanship warranty regarding the setting work done ----------------

Well, I agree and disagree. Let me explain.

As far as #1 goes, that is a maybe. With a lot of the brand name settings, they already have a cz set into them by the manufacturer, so unless your diamond will be the same size, your perception of the look may still be off. Also, if this is a surprise, your won't really know how it will look on your girlfriend's finger, regardless.

#2, I have noticed that as well. Online dealers are not as flexible with their setting prices. Even with brand names, you can get a substantial discount offline (don't want to name names here). But, it depends where you live. I have great access in LA to many, many setters, designers, etc. If you live in podunk, usa, that might be a different story.

#3, Well here's where I kind of disagree. The online vendors at pricescope will back their product very well. Also, I would prefer a new non-insured diamond to be set where I purchse it, just in case of accidental damage. I we are talking already insured stone that is being re-mounted, then I like to take it to the setter for a perfect fit and local service, etc.

Just my opinion!
10.gif

dryice

Rough_Rock
thanks for the great feedback!

I live in the SF bay area. I imagine there should be plenty of jewelers around here. I've been to 3 in the beginning of my search. None had a setting that I liked. I just don't have time to drive around at lunch time and on weekends from store to store. Gas money is money too :) But I sit in front of a computer ALL day. So I did all my research on-line.

I finally decided to enlist Richard Sherwood as my appraiser, ship everything to him, and have him set the diamond for me. Several people have done it this one and were very happy with the results.

Three weeks ago, I didn't know ANYTHING about diamonds, ring sizes, gold/platimum ... I don't think I can spot a craftmanship problem even if the jeweler sets the stone right in front my eyes (provided he/she didn't set the diamond upside down or something like that) So I've decided to find the right persons to be my eyes for me. I pick the diamond and the setting and they make sure the stone and the craftmanship are top-notch.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good idea Dry Ice....congratulations on research well done.
2.gif

BTW in the Bayarea I only visited a few jewelers and only about 2 would I want to do business with. Much easier to shop online and see all your options in black and white (or red and black).
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results