shape
carat
color
clarity

New CADS for OMC, looking for some feedback!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi again, I'm back!
I got some CADs/renders back from CVB after going in a new direction for my 2.59 OMC with tapered french cut side stones. I was originally after 6-8 prongs but decided to go for some discreet tab prongs after seeing the basket and prongs on this ring which has a 2.2 OMC. I like the basket shape and how slim the tab part of the prong is.
Video Here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BizHSGNAvlI/?hl=en&taken-by=mociun
Bad Stills here:
IMG_2001.jpg IMG_1999.jpg

Anyway, here are the CADs,. Let me know what you think! I may ask for the gallery rail to be flat rather than rod-like if that makes sense and for the prongs/tabs to be a bit narrower. I imagine in general they won't appear as bulky in real life as they look in the rendering. Thanks for any feedback!

Image-63.jpg Image-62.jpg Image-60.jpg Image-59.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful CAD’s! It will look gorgeous with the tab prongs.
I actuallly like the rod like rail. It will also be beautiful with a flat rail.

Personally I like it when the underside of the prongs is tucked on top of the donut, instead of hanging next to the donut.

Could you add more frenchies or are you on a budget? It will be gorgeous either way.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
411C4B68-9F88-4416-BA91-FE48763533C8.jpeg 121DAE65-DB5F-48DE-9832-14E9C2FFCFE8.jpeg
This is what I mean how the underside of the prongs are placed on the upper side of the donut instead of ‘glued’ at the side of the donut. This is my setting with frenchies by VC. This is also personal preference and it also depends on whether you want to wear a band next to your ring

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Acinom, your ring is truly stunning! Very pretty. I love all the detailing you put into so many areas. Very classy. :cool2:

As far as things I might change @acv123....
  • Currently those prongs just look out of whack to me. Too hard of lines and too big. I don't mind the tabs, and I know even on my CAD's that didn't have tabs, the prongs looked blah so maybe it's just an optical illusion. Still they give me pause.
  • To help with the above, what about making the taper wider like I have shown below?
  • Also I think it would be a good idea to have your prongs taper in like @Acinom mentioned. Even if you don't have a band you wear next to it now, that may change later and it would be nice to have that option without using a curved band. This may also help refine the size/shape of the prongs a little so it takes away from that hard look I was referring to earlier.
  • If budget allows, taking the frenchies down the side would be nice as well.
Inked_LI.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um those flat tabs are gorgeous. Will you be keeping the shank plain or having it engraved/milgrained?
I agree with @Acinom that having the prongs sit atop the donut is a smoother look than having them abut it.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
411C4B68-9F88-4416-BA91-FE48763533C8.jpeg 121DAE65-DB5F-48DE-9832-14E9C2FFCFE8.jpeg
This is what I mean how the underside of the prongs are placed on the upper side of the donut instead of ‘glued’ at the side of the donut. This is my setting with frenchies by VC. This is also personal preference and it also depends on whether you want to wear a band next to your ring

Beautiful ring! I love the flat engraved rail. So do you think if the prongs tuck into the donut/end at the donut instead of the finger that a wedding band would sit more flush to the e-ring?

I'm hoping the prongs will be shaved down a bit so they sit more flush with the donut but still extend down to the finger if that makes sense.

I could add more frenchies but they've already been cut! so I think I could only add them on the tail end going down the band. Each of the ones I have measure 3mm each and the stone is 8mm across and I have a size 6 finger so I don't think you will be able to see all that much metal on the sides.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

As far as the rail--I pulled this photo from one of your other threads for your incredible 5.3CT OMC. I kind of like how the flat rail seems to flow better into the band from the side view.. _6919.jpg

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow @Acinom, your ring is truly stunning! Very pretty. I love all the detailing you put into so many areas. Very classy. :cool2:

As far as things I might change @acv123....
  • Currently those prongs just look out of whack to me. Too hard of lines and too big. I don't mind the tabs, and I know even on my CAD's that didn't have tabs, the prongs looked blah so maybe it's just an optical illusion. Still they give me pause.
  • To help with the above, what about making the taper wider like I have shown below?
  • Also I think it would be a good idea to have your prongs taper in like @Acinom mentioned. Even if you don't have a band you wear next to it now, that may change later and it would be nice to have that option without using a curved band. This may also help refine the size/shape of the prongs a little so it takes away from that hard look I was referring to earlier.
  • If budget allows, taking the frenchies down the side would be nice as well.
Inked_LI.jpg

hi @sledge ! thank you for this detailed feedback.
Agreed on the prongs, they look kinda bulky now so I'm asking if they can be shaved down a bit and made narrower. Hopefully they will be more flush with the donut which could mitigate some of the spacing issue with a wedding band. If you look at the mociun ring the prongs are pretty flush with the donut. That's what I'm aiming for.

The frenchies are already cut so I don't think I can make the band wider/taper bigger wider to the center stone. Each of the frenchies I have are 3mm long do you think that plus the 8mm stone will give enough coverage on the sides? I have a size 6 finger so i'm hoping you won't be able to see much gold on the sides.

Thank you again :)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Um those flat tabs are gorgeous. Will you be keeping the shank plain or having it engraved/milgrained?
I agree with @Acinom that having the prongs sit atop the donut is a smoother look than having them abut it.

I think plain for now until I figure out what style wedding band i'll get.
I'm going to see about having the prongs flattened a bit so they are more flush with the donut!

Thank you :)

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you... I’m not usually a fan of tab prongs but they look perfect with your design! They flow so well with your elongated frenchies and really add to the aesthetics :kiss2:

I agree too about flattening the rail and tucking the prongs.

It’s going to be gorgeous!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you... I’m not usually a fan of tab prongs but they look perfect with your design! They flow so well with your elongated frenchies and really add to the aesthetics :kiss2:

yayy, thank you!:wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really REALLY like it (albeit with your already-posted revisions to flatten gallery rail and slightly narrow the tab prongs) ... and, FWIW, for your ring design with tab prongs features, I prefer the shoulders as-is (as opposed to tapering as suggested by others). Looking forward to seeing the completed ring!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi @sledge ! thank you for this detailed feedback.
Agreed on the prongs, they look kinda bulky now so I'm asking if they can be shaved down a bit and made narrower. Hopefully they will be more flush with the donut which could mitigate some of the spacing issue with a wedding band. If you look at the mociun ring the prongs are pretty flush with the donut. That's what I'm aiming for.

The frenchies are already cut so I don't think I can make the band wider/taper bigger wider to the center stone. Each of the frenchies I have are 3mm long do you think that plus the 8mm stone will give enough coverage on the sides? I have a size 6 finger so i'm hoping you won't be able to see much gold on the sides.

Thank you again :)

I think you will get decent enough finger coverage with what you have. While it would be nice to extend the stones further down the side, if you look at the view below, I think from the top looking down it will give off the appearance that the stones continue further down than they really do. You have to imagine your finger in the ring and then your fingers on each side of it. I'm sure a little gold will show, but it won't be super noticeable, unless your stone is not centered on your finger.

InkedImage-59_LI.jpg

By the way, I agree about not adding the engraving details. While I love @Acinom's ring, yours has a more modern feel to it than that one and I don't think it would look the same unless you changed several details.

I do like the flat style donut band better, and especially since your have the tab prongs and the frenchies have hard angles (as opposed to round bars).

Lastly, below is a very crude picture I drew trying to show how a wedding band might fit (or have problems fitting) depending how you do a few things. First off, the blue is your e-ring and the circle part is an assumption that the donut is bigger than the diameter of your ring. The red is a wedding band without any curves in it. You can see where if the donut is not tapered in then a flat w-band will conflict with it. Additionally the orange squares are meant to be your prongs. If you don't stop them before the donut then those too will interfere with the w-band.

FYI, I would have preferred to use an actual picture of your ring, but I didn't see one of the bottom view. Something similar to the second picture that @Acinom posted would be nice to see with your details and give us a better idea.

Capture.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re-reading and looking at these pictures I should clarify....in my head you have a "top donut" that has the round bars that might look better flattened out. But it also looks like you have a "bottom donut" where the ring circumference meets and the prongs tie into. I think that "bottom donut" is actually square & wider than your e-ring and will cause a conflict with the w-band.

See pic below for further clarification.

Inked121DAE65-DB5F-48DE-9832-14E9C2FFCFE8_LI.jpg

Lastly, below is a very crude picture I drew trying to show how a wedding band might fit (or have problems fitting) depending how you do a few things. First off, the blue is your e-ring and the circle part is an assumption that the donut is bigger than the diameter of your ring. The red is a wedding band without any curves in it. You can see where if the donut is not tapered in then a flat w-band will conflict with it. Additionally the orange squares are meant to be your prongs. If you don't stop them before the donut then those too will interfere with the w-band.

FYI, I would have preferred to use an actual picture of your ring, but I didn't see one of the bottom view. Something similar to the second picture that @Acinom posted would be nice to see with your details and give us a better idea.

Capture.PNG

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you! I was so resistant to 4 prongs or split prongs in the corners but once I started paying attention to tab prongs I saw how it could work!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really REALLY like it (albeit with your already-posted revisions to flatten gallery rail and slightly narrow the tab prongs) ... and, FWIW, for your ring design with tab prongs features, I prefer the shoulders as-is (as opposed to tapering as suggested by others). Looking forward to seeing the completed ring!

Thank you so much! I've been assured the gallery rail will be flat-ish and not a tube or rod-like. I think it still has to curve a little to meet the prongs on either side though.

I'll be sure to be back when the ring is completed!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think you will get decent enough finger coverage with what you have. While it would be nice to extend the stones further down the side, if you look at the view below, I think from the top looking down it will give off the appearance that the stones continue further down than they really do. You have to imagine your finger in the ring and then your fingers on each side of it. I'm sure a little gold will show, but it won't be super noticeable, unless your stone is not centered on your finger.

InkedImage-59_LI.jpg

By the way, I agree about not adding the engraving details. While I love @Acinom's ring, yours has a more modern feel to it than that one and I don't think it would look the same unless you changed several details.

I do like the flat style donut band better, and especially since your have the tab prongs and the frenchies have hard angles (as opposed to round bars).

Capture.PNG

Wow, thank you so much for both these diagrams. I think you're right about the top view giving the impression that the stones continue down the band. I'm considering getting some sizing beads to prevent spinning so it stays upright.

re: engraving, I figure I can always do it later but I want to start out simple and see how I feel.

I've been told the rail will be flat (though it will curve a little where it meets the prongs) and not tube like which I think will look great with the lines of the ring. The prongs will be shaved down a little too to mitigate the gap issue with a wedding band.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re-reading and looking at these pictures I should clarify....in my head you have a "top donut" that has the round bars that might look better flattened out. But it also looks like you have a "bottom donut" where the ring circumference meets and the prongs tie into. I think that "bottom donut" is actually square & wider than your e-ring and will cause a conflict with the w-band.

See pic below for further clarification.

Inked121DAE65-DB5F-48DE-9832-14E9C2FFCFE8_LI.jpg

I see what you mean! yes the circumfrence of the bottom donut and the rail/donut are closer in size than on your ring. the basket doesn't taper down as much if that makes sense. I think I like it that way? that's how it is in my inspiration ring I posted. The bars on the top donut on my ring will be flat-ish but will curve a little where they meet the prongs. I think my band being narrow relative to the size of the stone will always cause a little bumpout but I'm okay with that. I'll just get a spacer band once I have a wedding band.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are on your way to a killer design. It will look great when done.

And as long as you are cool with spacers or even using a band that has a bend in it to go around those lower obstacles it's no big deal. My girl may be in the minority but she actually prefers bands that fit the e-ring in a unique way and isn't a band you can wear solo. To her it has to look uniform and not just slapped together. This is why I have less hair then when I started my journey, lol

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are on your way to a killer design. It will look great when done.

And as long as you are cool with spacers or even using a band that has a bend in it to go around those lower obstacles it's no big deal. My girl may be in the minority but she actually prefers bands that fit the e-ring in a unique way and isn't a band you can wear solo. To her it has to look uniform and not just slapped together. This is why I have less hair then when I started my journey, lol

haha you're a good egg! :clap:
I totally agree, bands made to fit particular engagement rings can be so pretty!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at your CADs above, your inspiration where the gallery rail looks like it flows across and connects to the top of the cathedral shoulders (that looks amazing btw) and then my own ering, I think if the base donut is squared a little and also narrowed/flattened, you’ll end up with very little gap.
8AEFCFB3-2CF8-430B-9323-05B20DBDF0B5.jpeg
Like this, the basket ends up quite angled when you look from the shank end. For me, I actually love that because I found a floral band with matching angles so they sit just about flush but there’s a tiny gap. Do you know what sort of wedding band you’re going to have?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am interested in seeing it. Do you love it?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @Maisie @ceg @Acinom
The ring is done! It had to be remade because it was made with the wrong orientation originally. The remake took about 5 weeks I think, but once I have it in hand I'll share lots of pics and the timeline etc. I have seen it in person and its beaaauutiful, but I haven't been proposed to yet! ;-) Mostly my fault, wanted to get past the holidays and been preoccupied with work. I want to be able to really enjoy receiving and wearing it so I asked for a temporary delay if that makes sense. Will be sure to link the SMTB thread here once I post it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has your ring been remade in the NS orientation?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results